11-11-2014 10:16 AM
56 123
tools
    Because there are no grounds for any litigation. A lot of people seem to have really nave ideas about what is actionable vis a vis class action suits. Companies are not obligated to provide applications for competing platforms. If they were, every Linux or Mac user would have had any number of companies that make Windows software in court since the early 1990s.

Google is specifically singling out Microsoft for abuse. They have intentionally sabotaged access from WP to their services, issued a cease and desist for MS' Youtube app, while allowing third party Youtube apps that don't show ads, allow downloads, and aren't written in HTML 5. If Microsoft were to ban installs of Chrome in Windows, and disable access to Youtube, Gmail, etc., in IE, they would be sued yesterday. That's grounds for an antitrust suit.
    10-26-2014 04:28 PM
    I always thought antitrust would apply if Google didn't allow anyone but themselves develop the app and block all other attempts. In my opinion, I don't see it as antitrust if third party options are being allowed on the platform. So a class action lawsuit would probably not go anywhere unless you bring evidence that the services Google offer are critical to the majority of users of Windows phone and that MSFT doesn't have services to match those offerings.
    Bodeanicus likes this.
    10-26-2014 04:36 PM
    I agree that it sucks on the part of Google, but I also learned that if I expect everything to be fair, I'll spend my whole life disappointed.
    10-26-2014 05:50 PM
    Dw guys. Third party apps are awesome on WP. Youtube=myTube, metrotube or tube cast. Google+ = gplus. Dropbox and google drive= one drive and cloud 6. Hangouts messaging = im+. Google now= cortana, Google maps = gmaps, bing maps or here maps, hangouts calling = Skype. If Google won't support us then we will support ourselves.
    ea3dfx likes this.
    10-26-2014 06:47 PM
    Dw guys. Third party apps are awesome on WP. Youtube=myTube, metrotube or tube cast. Google+ = gplus. Dropbox and google drive= one drive and cloud 6. Hangouts messaging = im+. Google now= cortana, Google maps = gmaps, bing maps or here maps, hangouts calling = Skype. If Google won't support us then we will support ourselves.
    Better yet, just don't use Google services. The only reason I have a Google ID is for use of Youtube.. That way I can keep an eyes on what I watch on youtube.
    I have no need for G+, Gdrive,Gmaps,Gdocs or any other G whatever.

I have a 3rd Party app on my 1020 for youtube but since Cyan Update I mostly now just watch in browser.

Yes switching over to only MS services can be a bit of time and hastle, but you can do everything you need in the MS ecosystem.

Here Maps and Here Transit I have found to be wonderful from day one, and I was shocked that my Towns Transit system was covered by Here.

Here was most useful when my trip covered Multi Bus/Multi System trips........Guelph Transit-> Go ->TTC

If your company requires G option then your stuck. However I can live without access to Google, and if I dumped my youtube, I would be free of Google complete.
    jlzimmerman and a5cent like this.
    10-26-2014 07:46 PM
    Better yet, just don't use Google services. The only reason I have a Google ID is for use of Youtube.. That way I can keep an eyes on what I watch on youtube.
    I have no need for G+, Gdrive,Gmaps,Gdocs or any other G whatever.

I have a 3rd Party app on my 1020 for youtube but since Cyan Update I mostly now just watch in browser.

Yes switching over to only MS services can be a bit of time and hastle, but you can do everything you need in the MS ecosystem.

Here Maps and Here Transit I have found to be wonderful from day one, and I was shocked that my Towns Transit system was covered by Here.

Here was most useful when my trip covered Multi Bus/Multi System trips........Guelph Transit-> Go ->TTC

If your company requires G option then your stuck. However I can live without access to Google, and if I dumped my youtube, I would be free of Google complete.

Same here, but there's the problem of missing and lagging first party apps. If, and when, I go to Android, I'll still use Outlook, One Drive, etc. I just wish I didn't have to leave Windows OS. I just can't tolerate Microsoft's incompetence anymore. If they get their act together with Windows 10, maybe I'll come back.
    10-26-2014 08:12 PM
    None of the Google apps are even that good, why is it a big deal? Microsoft is being the good guy here. If Microsoft didn't support Android, Google would have even more reason to never develop WP apps. At least Microsoft is showing that they can be mature. Maybe Google will eventually see that they are in the wrong and they will develop for WP. Just give it time.
    10-26-2014 08:18 PM
    Google is trying to buy up the internet and all portals to get to it. When we got youtube, google killed it. When we got Waze, google took that so now it'll never see another update, landscape mode to be specific. And when google changes the API, (for its BS reason, security) it will no longer run on Windows phones.

I suspect it even has its hands in what developers will and won't do for this platform. I also suspect it even has a voice in what carriers will promote, at least in the US. Either by coercion, access to google API and or by cold hard cash, they do what they are told.
    They have a lot of power on the internet and I wouldn't have a problem with that except that they are a group that has proven they cannot be trusted with the public good.
    10-26-2014 08:33 PM
    Google won't share there apps with windowsphone like YouTube, google earth, dropbox and so .. The question is WHY DID MICROSOFT SHARE BING APPS, ONEDRIVE AND OFFICE WITH ANDROID ?? It's really not fair they get our apps and we don't get theirs
    Because WP is so small market share wise, Google doesn't care about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FinancialP and Analyss14 like this.
    10-26-2014 09:08 PM
    Microsoft is being the good guy here.
    Don't Get Scroogled! - Scroogled

Microsoft is at war with Google. Some of you guys act like Google doesn't have a valid reason for ignoring Windows Phone. Microsoft launched an all out assault against Google years ago, and it's never going to die.
    10-27-2014 02:26 AM
    Don't Get Scroogled! - Scroogled

Microsoft is at war with Google. Some of you guys act like Google doesn't have a valid reason for ignoring Windows Phone. Microsoft launched an all out assault against Google years ago, and it's never going to die.
    You make Google sound like a bunch of women with their panties in a bunch because someone criticized them.
    10-27-2014 04:51 AM
    I'm with Google. WP is just too small, Google has to invest its money where the users are. Microsoft does the same, they support the Mac but not the Linux desktop, because Linux's share is at the same level than WP.

In general, Microsoft could learn a lot from Google in ethics. If Google kicked Microsoft out of the consumer market is because they're focused in the users, serving them well and giving good products for little or no money.
    10-27-2014 07:34 AM
    The ideal way for Microsoft to go is to use Google's own tactics against them. Remove ALL Microsoft apps from the play store, tell them that under no circumstances are they allowed to add outlook.com support into the Gmail app and then tell Android users that the mobile websites for Microsoft services are perfectly functional for them.

All while improving the experiences on Windows Phone.
    10-27-2014 07:54 AM
    Honestly, getting windows phones to run full internet explorer with all its functionality could solve the problem.
    10-27-2014 07:57 AM
    Many people don't switch because of the lack of google apps on WP. It helps them keeping their market rate in phone software up, without letting Microsoft grow as a real third OS.
    colinkiama likes this.
    10-27-2014 08:05 AM
    Google won't share there apps with windowsphone like YouTube, google earth, dropbox and so .. The question is WHY DID MICROSOFT SHARE BING APPS, ONEDRIVE AND OFFICE WITH ANDROID ?? It's really not fair they get our apps and we don't get theirs
    MS sees users of android and Apple as customers, which overrides their competition against google and Apple. They are a software and user services company first, software and services competitor second. With that said, MS just doesn't have the market share to ignore 95% of smartphone users. It does not make good business sense. Also, MS owns several patents that Android/google uses, so it's not a total lo$$ having so many Android users. And it's not a total loss against Apple either as Siri uses Bing and I think Yahoo still does too.

If you watch Gates and Jobs when they took the stage for the 2007 D5 conference, you'll understand MS business vision as described by Bill Gates. Even way back then Gates understood what needed to happen today.
    fatclue_98, tgp and neo158 like this.
    10-27-2014 08:30 AM
    MS sees users of android and Apple as customers, which overrides their competition against google and Apple. They are a software and user services company first, software and services competitor second. With that said, MS just doesn't have the market share to ignore 95% of smartphone users. It does not make good business sense. Also, MS owns several patents that Android/google uses, so it's not a total lo$$ having so many Android users. And it's not a total loss against Apple either as Siri uses Bing and I think Yahoo still does too.

If you watch Gates and Jobs when they took the stage for the 2007 D5 conference, you'll understand MS business vision as described by Bill Gates. Even way back then Gates understood what needed to happen today.
    Thank you for injecting the voice of reason to this thread. People seem to forget that just a few years ago, before there was an Android, Google was hanging off Bill Gates' nutsack to get their services on Windows Mobile devices. Remember Goosync anyone?
    tgp likes this.
    10-27-2014 09:29 AM
    At least we have the official Google search app
    10-28-2014 07:13 AM
    MSFT, as others have noted, has to support iOS and Android. It's their Plan B in mobile. Plan A, wielding the Windows club in an attempt to get users accustomed to and eventually switch to WP by adding the WP UI to Windows 8, failed miserably.

For us outsiders it's difficult to know what MSFT's true goals are with their iOS/Android work and what that means for WP. Is MSFT simply trying to stay relevant in the mobile consumer space and are content being an app+services company for other mobile OSes while WP withers away? Or are they trying to get people onto their services with the goal to eventually transition them to WP in the future?
    10-28-2014 09:43 AM
    MSFT, as others have noted, has to support iOS and Android. It's their Plan B in mobile. Plan A, wielding the Windows club in an attempt to get users accustomed to and eventually switch to WP by adding the WP UI to Windows 8, failed miserably.

For us outsiders it's difficult to know what MSFT's true goals are with their iOS/Android work and what that means for WP. Is MSFT simply trying to stay relevant in the mobile consumer space and are content being an app+services company for other mobile OSes while WP withers away? Or are they trying to get people onto their services with the goal to eventually transition them to WP in the future?
    There isn't some plan A or B. It's simple, Microsoft as a company has recognized that they can no longer thrive as a company from OS sales. And that the real money comes from services like Office, Azure, etc. Especially when they become subscription based services that bring a more consistent income flow than the traditional big OS sales every 3 years.

The key to being successful as a services company is a) Good service b) Service accessibility aka, platform agnostic.

Windows 10 will make WP vs Windows share completely irrelevant to each other. Screens are so infinitely variable in size now that this division between phone, tablet, and desktop is going to blur to nearly invisible. And W10 will make the interface agnostic to input method as well.

Of course they'd rather have everyone be on Windows, but that's not where their revenue opportunity is, so their focus will be on executing their services as well as they can.

Windows will simply be the OS where these services are more seamless with the OS. For example, OneDrive is built into the file manager on Windows, where it's not on iOS, Android, OSX, etc.
    10-29-2014 06:17 PM
    The ideal way for Microsoft to go is to use Google's own tactics against them. Remove ALL Microsoft apps from the play store, tell them that under no circumstances are they allowed to add outlook.com support into the Gmail app and then tell Android users that the mobile websites for Microsoft services are perfectly functional for them.

All while improving the experiences on Windows Phone.
    That wouldn't bother Google in the least. They have competing services and products. It would give them an opportunity to remove a major competitor from one of the largest mobile platforms.

Microsoft's Strategy currently is probably one of the better ones they could do. Support all platforms and make excellent products across the board. Windows/Office Licensing for consumers is not going to be any real long term profitable future and they know it. But if they can make services that people will pay subscriptions for on ANY platform IS their future as they see it.

Let's not kid ourselves. Windows Phone's market share globally is very low. It is not viable to make products only for that platform. Let's take the iPod for example:

The iPod came out and it only worked on Mac's which was a tiny tiny market share. A solid device but not very popular. Once they supported Windows and release iTunes on Windows (Which has a 95% market share at the time) sales started increasing dramatically. It pretty much drove Apple's future forward leading to the iPhone, the iPad and iTunes Store which make up the largest portion of their profits. All which have made Apple the largest corporation. The Mac for all its supporters remains a small and rather insignificant portion of their overall profit (around 3.7%).

So Microsoft is actually in sort of the same position but on the software front. Microsoft's largest profits come from their software front clearly. Windows and Office Licensing more specifically make about 50% of their revenue. So they need to keep that going. Windows sales are basically flatlined there is no growth there really so that leaves Office and its under attack by Google Docs and Apple's iWorks and are available on very popular platforms. So MS has portable Window Platforms in Windows RT and Windows Phone but neither has taken off and even including Office for free has done little to help either platform. So if you need to sustain revenues somehow the best way? Take your profit making products and make it widely available.

It makes perfect sense to me. You may not like it. You may think its silly but the simple fact is Microsoft needs Google a heck of a lot more the Google needs Microsoft. They got along just fine without them before and no one is going to wait around for Microsoft's portable OS's to become viable that much is for sure.
    10-29-2014 07:42 PM
    That wouldn't bother Google in the least. They have competing services and products. It would give them an opportunity to remove a major competitor from one of the largest mobile platforms.

Microsoft's Strategy currently is probably one of the better ones they could do. Support all platforms and make excellent products across the board. Windows/Office Licensing for consumers is not going to be any real long term profitable future and they know it. But if they can make services that people will pay subscriptions for on ANY platform IS their future as they see it.

Let's not kid ourselves. Windows Phone's market share globally is very low. It is not viable to make products only for that platform. Let's take the iPod for example:

The iPod came out and it only worked on Mac's which was a tiny tiny market share. A solid device but not very popular. Once they supported Windows and release iTunes on Windows (Which has a 95% market share at the time) sales started increasing dramatically. It pretty much drove Apple's future forward leading to the iPhone, the iPad and iTunes Store which make up the largest portion of their profits. All which have made Apple the largest corporation. The Mac for all its supporters remains a small and rather insignificant portion of their overall profit (around 3.7%).

So Microsoft is actually in sort of the same position but on the software front. Microsoft's largest profits come from their software front clearly. Windows and Office Licensing more specifically make about 50% of their revenue. So they need to keep that going. Windows sales are basically flatlined there is no growth there really so that leaves Office and its under attack by Google Docs and Apple's iWorks and are available on very popular platforms. So MS has portable Window Platforms in Windows RT and Windows Phone but neither has taken off and even including Office for free has done little to help either platform. So if you need to sustain revenues somehow the best way? Take your profit making products and make it widely available.

It makes perfect sense to me. You may not like it. You may think its silly but the simple fact is Microsoft needs Google a heck of a lot more the Google needs Microsoft. They got along just fine without them before and no one is going to wait around for Microsoft's portable OS's to become viable that much is for sure.
    I hear what you're saying and maybe Microsoft should say, you're using our products on a competitors platform you need to pay for it. That seems fair doesn't it?
    10-31-2014 10:10 AM
    So, why don't we start a class action suit against Google?
    Isn't there a minimum number required though? Would the 5 or 6 WP users meet that requirement?

Kidding, kidding lol
    10-31-2014 06:53 PM
    I hear what you're saying and maybe Microsoft should say, you're using our products on a competitors platform you need to pay for it. That seems fair doesn't it?
    They pretty much do that already with Office but you can't charge for say Outlook.com access people would just dump your service instead.
    10-31-2014 07:45 PM
    Isn't there a minimum number required though? Would the 5 or 6 WP users meet that requirement?

Kidding, kidding lol
    11-01-2014 04:55 AM
56 123