No Real Device Differentiators

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I was at the Microsoft Store yesterday to pick up a new SP3 (my SP bit the dust after a driveway drop) and while I was waiting, I thumbed through some of the display WP devices. While doing that, I realized that for most things, there was a not a lot of difference between the user experience on my phone (the Icon) and the budget phones. Sure, my camera is a lot better and the audio on the video is killer, but overall, it is generally the same. I am informed enough to know the differences, but most users are not. Let's face it, most consumers still don't know anything about WP, sadly.

What is lacking, are real product differentiators. Right now, there is nothing compelling for consumers to draw them to the WP, apart from Cortana. Most of the other stuff, geeks like us love, but the average consumer does not know anything about them. Take NFC, for example, we have had it for a while - so has Android. Apple gets half-baked NFC and all of the sudden it's revolutionary? Apart from wireless charging, MS never really did anything innovative with NFC.

To get more market share, Lumia need to offer innovative hardware differentiators., not just existing features that we are a little better at than the competitors.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
NFC and Qi are two different technologies. NFC is used for tap to send or tap to pair, Qi is the wireless charging technology.

Due to the somewhat limited implementation of NFC, Microsoft's use of NFC in Windows Phone doesn't do as much as it can with Android. But I think that Microsoft's phones from Nokia have other hardware differentiators, such as camera quality. Years later, other companies' flagships are catching up to the x20 series phones' cameras.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
" Apple gets half-baked NFC and all of the sudden it's revolutionary?"
Apple user base is pretty much the upper society or affluent sector! Apple fanbase buys not only the iPhone but everything else Apple made: iPads, Macs, Macbooks. Apple fan base are very loyal and just stay with Apple products. I have a friend that purchased his first Apple IIC PC and has never gone with another competitor's product! This is a worldwide happening in every part of the world! Japan and China are big markets for Apple products. I heard that a lot of Android users are coming back to Apple and buying the iPhone 6s.

Apple has the clout to do stuff where other firms just don't have it! They have the fan base, the promotional hype and the news media loves them! Every new iPhone announcement and release; reporters issue dozens of stories promoting Apple new iPhone. No other product anywhere gets even 2% of that of an Apple iPhone release. That why MCX is scare of Apple! They have none of this power - no fans, no promotional powers and no free positive media coverage.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
" Apple gets half-baked NFC and all of the sudden it's revolutionary?"
Apple user base is pretty much the upper society or affluent sector! Apple fanbase buys not only the iPhone but everything else Apple made: iPads, Macs, Macbooks. Apple fan base are very loyal and just stay with Apple products. I have a friend that purchased his first Apple IIC PC and has never gone with another competitor's product! This is a worldwide happening in every part of the world! Japan and China are big markets for Apple products. I heard that a lot of Android users are coming back to Apple and buying the iPhone 6s.

Apple has the clout to do stuff where other firms just don't have it! They have the fan base, the promotional hype and the news media loves them! Every new iPhone announcement and release; reporters issue dozens of stories promoting Apple new iPhone. No other product anywhere gets even 2% of that of an Apple iPhone release. That why MCX is scare of Apple! They have none of this power - no fans, no promotional powers and no free positive media coverage.

! ! ! Exclamation Points ! ! !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss