High end Lumia's and windows

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
If I'm moving to Android, which is very likely now, here are my reasons:

1) Spec: while I don't need a 41mp+Snapdragon 810+4gb ram+4K screen+whatever other top of the line features, I do like to have a phone on par with the general competition. My 920 is getting slower by the day, a lot of resuming, occasional stuttering on start screen when scrolling, etc. I didn't mind the weight and size of the phone 2 years ago, because it was a necessary trade off for camera and durability, but today that's no longer the case. Even within Lumia lines we have higher end thinner phones. The battery is also performing poorly after 8.1, I can at most get through a workday with moderate use, usually not reliable if I stay out past 8 or 9pm, and even then I'd have to be constantly be cautious about batter life. So it's time for an upgrade on specs. Sadly 930 is not available for AT&T, and 1520 is too large for me, not to mention both have been out for about a year now (ICON was out in Feb, but was leaked late last year before 1520.)

2. Apps: I have over 300 apps installed on my phone, so typically I'm not someone who complains about the "app gap". But I have noticed how much more polished the apps on other platforms are, and I have to admit sometimes I'm quite jealous of that. With last week's announcement that Office will be free on iOS and Android, plus the existing fact of Skype and Onedrive working better on the other two platforms than on WP, there's almost no incentive for me to stay with WP.

3. Camera: Lumia had the best camera, and today they are still very good. However, a couple issues do exist. Most notably, the speed. Nokia Camera is an awesome app but it's just so slow to load up. Other people would be already snapping their second or third picture on iPhones when my camera is just initiated. Shot to shot time is also quite poor, this is most noticeable when taking group pics, and it's taking me quite a bit of time to just get 2 or 3 photos while everyone's trying to maintain that smile. Picture quality wise, other phones are catching up and surpassing Lumia. G3, Z3, iPhone 6+ all take comparable, if not better pictures, without any of the hassles mentioned above. Even in low-light, where Lumia used to be king, others are performing better now.

4. Price: I have no problem paying full price for a high-end phone. I do have problem, however, with paying the same price and getting less out of it. High-end Lumias are priced about the same as flagship Androids and iPhones, but I have to compromise spec, apps and camera. Why would I do that? I actually interact with all three platform, even Blackberry on nearly daily basis because of work and being the "tech person" for my family, and while WP is the most intuitive for me, using a different OS is not really going to hinder me at all. So when I put down that money I want to get the phone that can do the most, and performing the best on the market. Don't make me pay 700 dollars and get a sub-par experience.

I really dont see MS releasing anything that's going to change the problems I mentioned until Windows 10 is released. So as my 2-yr contract end for my Lumia 920 next week I'll look to purchase an Android flagship phone. If in a year Microsoft release a flagship under Windows 10 that's super impressive, i can always sell the Android and come back to the platform. There's no reason for me to wait and compromise my own user experience for any company, no matter how much I like them overall.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I kinda see this whole thing as a trickle up vs trickle down strategy discussion. The first thing that has to be assumed is that as big as Microsoft is, they only have enough resources to develop and push out 2 of the three tiers of phones (Low, mid, high) at the moment. They chose low and mid.
As much as I'm waiting impatiently for the next flagship, I acknowledge that selling 10 million 530s vs 1 million 1030's will make my current 928 much better off in the long run. More market share = more developers = more apps = more accessory support = more attention from Microsoft.
I don't have my flagship but I still kinda win anyways because Windows becomes a fuller ecosystem and larger community. If they focused on the 1030...you don't really get any of that other than bragging rights for having an uber awesome device. Microsoft has it right. Lets amass our army first before we make the high tech weapons.

For now I'm having enough fun enjoying the explosion of WP ecosystem (no seriously, last year the app store was tiny!) and the constant major feature updates through the Developers Preview. It feels like I have a new phone every 3-4 months and my camera still impresses with the xenon flash. It also gives me the brightest flashlight of all my friends.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I came to WP from Symbian ; my last was the 808 and I knew I had to adjust to the changes (Symbian abandonned, services closing).
I naturally took the 1020 and also, WP for me had the double advantage of not being linked to Google nor Apple ^_^

I bought it in March, this year. So after 4 months, I got 8.1, which is absolutely gorgeous and I don't find it to slow my phone. Some apps are still compiled for 8.0 and don't take benefit of the fast resume enabled by 8.1; I don't think we can blame the phone for that.

Anyway. Yes, none of the new Lumias attracts me, as I'm a mobile photographer. I don't know will there be a 1030 or whatever. I believe yes, and that high end flagship will probably released when W10 is here, to associate superb HW with awesome OS in terms of PR.

And in the meanwhile, even if I'm said my obsolete 1020 won't get any new camera feature, I don't really care, I have OIS and RAW, it's enough. More important to my eyes: I'll receive all the OS updates including W10. So that's why I don't leave: my 1020 works, it's still the best cameraphone available, and my device is not obsolete OS-wise (FW-wise maybe).

I have the impression to have join the WindowsPhone train at the right moment: everything seems to accelerate. And now that Nokia devices are absorbed, the 2 products pipes (Microsoft's one and Nokia's legacy roadmap) will finally converge. I expect more legibility for the Lumia portfolio during 2015

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
If you don't mind paying full price then buy a 930. It'll work on at&t. You will lose lte but its a fantastic phone.

But why would we want to lose LTE? It's not like it'll cost less for us to get lower quality service due to our phone's limitation. Paying high end price is not an issue as long as we receive the same quality of experience in return, and that's what we are lacking on WP.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
But why would we want to lose LTE? It's not like it'll cost less for us to get lower quality service due to our phone's limitation. Paying high end price is not an issue as long as we receive the same quality of experience in return, and that's what we are lacking on WP.
I agree that we shouldn't have to sacrifice. For me losing lte isn't a big deal because the speed where I live it wouldn't make much of a difference and the extra battery life using 3g would be nice. As far as worries of not having the newest chip (800 vs 801). That can be silly as WP runs faster with less and when it comes down to it no-one gives a **** about what processor is in the camera they care about how it functions. You don't seem to be one of those that nitpick and your frustration is valid at the moment as I would like to see an American varient of the 930 as well. I could care less if its six months old it'll still run faster than the latest android flagship. Hopefully one comes out soon. I believe Nov. 11 will be am announcement from windows about two new devices. So hopefully that will help. My guess is one will be midend and the other will be the 1020's succesor.

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree that we shouldn't have to sacrifice. For me losing lte isn't a big deal because the speed where I live it wouldn't make much of a difference and the extra battery life using 3g would be nice. As far as worries of not having the newest chip (800 vs 801). That can be silly as WP runs faster with less and when it comes down to it no-one gives a **** about what processor is in the camera they care about how it functions. You don't seem to be one of those that nitpick and your frustration is valid at the moment as I would like to see an American varient of the 930 as well. I could care less if its six months old it'll still run faster than the latest android flagship. Hopefully one comes out soon. I believe Nov. 11 will be am announcement from windows about two new devices. So hopefully that will help. My guess is one will be midend and the other will be the 1020's succesor.

Haha yea if something like 1030 is released I'd be thrilled! Honestly right now an HTC ONE M8 + a better camera is all I need....

Jean Sagarese

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
keeping me with Windows Phone is a contract not being up till next September, and I am still not sure whether I will go back to Apple or go with Samsung. Yes we got the new option to pay with my AT&T 1020 but there is no hint if there will be more credit cards that will work with it. Notified yesterday that my current credit card that is used for most of what I purchase will work with Apple Pay. I am thrilled that my Microsoft Band will work with both Apple and Samsung and I am tempted by the Apple Phone but will wait till I see it either in my office or at the store

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I'm sure like everyone else has been reading alot from everyone that they all want a new high end Lumia but I have been reading that people will leave windows and lumia and go to android if nothing is released.

My question is what makes you stay with windows and Lumia now?

I for one stay because of the platform and if no high end phones were ever released I'd still stay loyal to windows as I like it and don't like android.

I'm surprised so many people would leave just because a massive high spec phone doesn't come out and go to android that needs the specs where windows doesn't.

I think you are overestimating the extent to which peoples' bluster here matches reality. Keep in mind, forums are the venue in which you find a disproportionate number of gripes anyway. Whether it be Windows Phone vs something else or VZW vs AT&T or AT&T vs Tmobile, some people will always complain and claim they are leaving, etc., etc.. Go to an Android forum and you will find people supposedly jumping from HTC to Samsung or vice versa, to LG or Sony from something or vice versa, and all the same carrier gripes. For those few who then actually do follow through, I expect a good chunk will then be complaining again in a few months time.

Best example of what I consider to be reality is simply to look at Windows. If you trace griping and complaints on forums about Windows over the past decade, you would expect its market share would have fallen like a rock, and it is soon to be passed by OSX and Linux. Instead, it is still 90+ percent of the market - same range (give or tale a couple points) it has been since people started measuring. You might also think Android would be in free fall because of lag, security, issues, bugs, etc., and that iPhones have been returned by the millions because the antenna doesn't work, or call quality sucks, or they bend, or they stain through jeans, or whatever is the complaint of the day.

Forums are the wrong place to ever consider gauging real world status of much of anything. They are great place go learn some stuff, find out about problems, and encounter lots of people who really should have considered going to drama school. The end of the world is always coming; disaster is always a step away; no one ever loves them; the grass is always greener someplace else; and they are always the voice of all users everywhere.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I think you are overestimating the extent to which peoples' bluster here matches reality. Keep in mind, forums are the venue in which you find a disproportionate number of gripes anyway. Whether it be Windows Phone vs something else or VZW vs AT&T or AT&T vs Tmobile, some people will always complain and claim they are leaving, etc., etc.. Go to an Android forum and you will find people supposedly jumping from HTC to Samsung or vice versa, to LG or Sony from something or vice versa, and all the same carrier gripes. For those few who then actually do follow through, I expect a good chunk will then be complaining again in a few months time.

Best example of what I consider to be reality is simply to look at Windows. If you trace griping and complaints on forums about Windows over the past decade, you would expect its market share would have fallen like a rock, and it is soon to be passed by OSX and Linux. Instead, it is still 90+ percent of the market - same range (give or tale a couple points) it has been since people started measuring. You might also think Android would be in free fall because of lag, security, issues, bugs, etc., and that iPhones have been returned by the millions because the antenna doesn't work, or call quality sucks, or they bend, or they stain through jeans, or whatever is the complaint of the day.

Forums are the wrong place to ever consider gauging real world status of much of anything. They are great place go learn some stuff, find out about problems, and encounter lots of people who really should have considered going to drama school. The end of the world is always coming; disaster is always a step away; no one ever loves them; the grass is always greener someplace else; and they are always the voice of all users everywhere.
Now that told me lol, no seriously you have made a valid point just surprised people do it so much I know we all complain about stuff but like people now saying I'm not going to buy another Lumia as Nokia is not on it they now going to android, just insane all that just because of a name

RoccoH

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I have been complaining a lot about my WP experience on my Lumia 620. My phone was constantly "... Resuming..." And I had on average s crash per day (app or phone). It was perfect with WP 8.0, but horrible with 8.1 (and didn't want to downgrade OS). That made me decide to look for something else. Picked up an as-new 920 yesterday and it is a world of difference. That's why we also need decent high end phones. These crappy 512mb budget phones give people a bad WP experience and make them leave.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I have been complaining a lot about my WP experience on my Lumia 620. My phone was constantly "... Resuming..." And I had on average s crash per day (app or phone). It was perfect with WP 8.0, but horrible with 8.1 (and didn't want to downgrade OS). That made me decide to look for something else. Picked up an as-new 920 yesterday and it is a world of difference. That's why we also need decent high end phones. These crappy 512mb budget phones give people a bad WP experience and make them leave.
Try hard reset my 625 like that at first after hard reset it's danmn fast

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

But that's just handsets, not OS. The OS is still Android. Many people switch between OEMs on Android because they have options. To most people, Nokia was the only handset maker for WP. Now it's MS so people expect the same thing. It's a completely different thing you're talking about and it's not really comparable.

I think your comparisons here are a bit out of whack. First, a very large portion of Windows users is business. Second, security is only an issue on Android if you don't use proper apps. Third, Apple did get punished by some users for 'antenna gate' and they left for Android. Doesn't mean they didn't go back. The thing you miss is that once you're invested in an ecosystem it's difficult to change.

I won't agree or disagree here. Forums are probably not the best place to gauge feelings but you just need to look at user base statistics and notice that WP isn't exactly springing forward. It's been pretty flat since WP8.0 release and hasn't grown much since WP8.1. Reasons behind it all? I think it's multi layered and not easy to put it down to any one thing. MS has a hill to climb and they're doing it the slow way. Some people are just tired of the climb.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Going back to the OP.

My thinking behind the need for a high-end Windows Phone is pretty straightforward. I can afford one. Need I say more? If I wanted a low end device I wouldn't be still sitting with my L920.

Saying that however, there isn't a Windows Phone with a good battery aside from the 1520, which I don't want. That needs to change. The L930 was very disappointing on all aspects as far as I'm concerned and since the HTC M8 (not that I want it) is nowhere to be seen in the UK there's few options.

I have no issue with MS wanting to extend their low end phones and their user base at that end. I have no issue with the OS being able to run on low end hardware. All great things. Saying that, I want a high end phone because the phones that are out today are far better than anything that's come out for WP. In terms of battery, screen, RAM etc. That's why I want a high end phone. I'm sure the WPOS will run very nicely with good specs.

There are many people who won't come to a forum and say anything, they'll just switch. We don't know the numbers so it's impossible to tell. The only way to know is through statistics. They tell us the WP is pretty flat.

The biggest issue for many people is that it appears MS is dragging their feet. Yes they bought Nokia so that took sometime but the continued release of low spec phones has disappointed many who were expecting something high end or the 1020 replacement. The question that springs to mind of many in this situation is this, is it worth sticking around?

For some that answer will be no, doesn't mean they won't come back but maybe they need a break. Being constantly told to be be patient gets tiring after awhile. Doesn't help when you look at other ecosystems and they appear to be getting better and better while WP appears to lag behind and in some ways it does.

For many WP suits their needs. It runs great on low end hardware and in countries that are taking it up the apps are coming to the platform. However, in countries where the option to choose high end phones is there, many are not looking at WP for various reasons. This tells us simply that WP has a some way to go still in those countries.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I keep getting recommended to get a 1520, but it is far too large for me. I think 5" 1030 would be perfect for me.

You really do get used to it, I was like that, didn"t want anything bigger than a 5" phone, but I eventually caved, and I simply cant go back, now a 5" phone seems to puny for me

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
You really do get used to it, I was like that, didn"t want anything bigger than a 5" phone, but I eventually caved, and I simply cant go back, now a 5" phone seems to puny for me

Me too! One of the most influential factors why I chose my 1520 over mu other phone which has a 5" screen is the screen size. I can read mangas more efficiently on this 6-inch screen than on my other device. Watching videos and playing games is also great for this size. Once I earn more money, I'm going to replace my other phone with another phablet.

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I stay with WP because I believe it is by far the superior platform. WP is hurt because of carrier exclusivity which limits choice, and because of a slow refresh cycle for hardware, which allows those with the financial ability to jump ship and chase specs, to do so without even a hesitation of an impending handset to delay their defection. The fact that the 1020 is still sitting on the shelf next to the current 2014 releases from the other OEM's is pathetic.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I stay with WP because I believe it is by far the superior platform. WP is hurt because of carrier exclusivity which limits choice, and because of a slow refresh cycle for hardware, which allows those with the financial ability to jump ship and chase specs, to do so without even a hesitation of an impending handset to delay their defection. The fact that the 1020 is still sitting on the shelf next to the current 2014 releases from the other OEM's is pathetic.
Paul Thurrott said about as much. If MS could have released the Icon to all the carriers, even if it was late 2014, fewer people would have complained. The 930 might not be everyone's cup of tea because of lack of glance or what not, but it is an upgrade to the 920. But right now, 920/925 owners who are on ATT or T-Mobile have nothing to upgrade to after their 2 year contracts expire. (and don't want a 6" phone).

http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/more-lumia-or-lesser-lumia

In the recent podcast Clutter and Sway for Windows Weekly, they had this very discussion and Mary Jo Foley was even more adamant.

Dreaming Silver

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I keep getting recommended to get a 1520, but it is far too large for me. I think 5" 1030 would be perfect for me.

This is exactly the phone I'm waiting for. In fact add to that running on Windows 10 and I'd buy it in a second.

Right now I'm on a Lumia 920. I really loved everything about the phone when i first got it, and it's kept up in terms of stability and performance very well - but I look at videos of iphone 6 performance or Androaids running Lollipop and I start to feel jealous and want an upgrade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)