High end Lumia's and windows

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I'm sure like everyone else has been reading alot from everyone that they all want a new high end Lumia but I have been reading that people will leave windows and lumia and go to android if nothing is released.

My question is what makes you stay with windows and Lumia now?

I for one stay because of the platform and if no high end phones were ever released I'd still stay loyal to windows as I like it and don't like android.

I'm surprised so many people would leave just because a massive high spec phone doesn't come out and go to android that needs the specs where windows doesn't.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it is matter of need for high-end specs for everything. The issue that I see is that many people want devices with specific high-end features, such as camera and processor (high-end camera with specs such as those in the 1020) and faster processor (so it takes less time to capture photos (there is some lag in snapping photos on many devices).

Some of the low-end devices lack basic features like front-facing camera, flash for rear camera, etc. Those features might be deal-breakers to some people.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it is matter of need for high-end specs for everything. The issue that I see is that many people want devices with specific high-end features, such as camera and processor (high-end camera with specs such as those in the 1020) and faster processor (so it takes less time to capture photos (there is some lag in snapping photos on many devices).

Some of the low-end devices lack basic features like front-facing camera, flash for rear camera, etc. Those features might be deal-breakers to some people.
Totally understand what your saying but I thought most of us that come here are here for the os initially and to then say sod it ill go android over a camera I just think is a little nuts

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't even think it's really about the specs, or even the OS so much; it's about the perception and support. Many of the people here are Windows Phone fans, Microsoft fans, etc. As a fan of a company's products, you WANT to continue using them. All you need to convince you to stick with their products is some evidence that they are paying attention to the market and being competitive. Once they stop at least keeping up with the market, in this case not offering any new flagship devices while competitors seem to focus on new flagships every time, then that is just about the only thing they can do to lose their fans.

Their fans just need an excuse not to switch to something else. If Microsoft continues to focus on the strategy it feels is best for it (low end phones, entry markets), that gives current fans and early adopters a reason to feel spurned. The market is continuing to move at a fast pace and competitors are introducing flagships at an increasing rate, yet we are allowed to feel like we aren't getting the same attention that competitors are giving their fans. At some point, people get tired of cheering for the loser for whom we've been happily sticking our necks out.

Not saying that these are my views, just trying to illustrated a perspective.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It is indeed not all about the chip set and specs only. In my case it's about finding what fits my needs. So I am now looking at putting aside My Lumia 1020 as a spare phone because I need a bigger screen.
I have 2 options available a Lumia 1320 ( 1520 will not fully work on Wind ), or a Galaxy Note ( A phone I really have no desire for ).

Due to failing eyes Phablets fit the bill. So soon I will pull the trigger.

Now if only I could pair a 1320 to a Smart Watch ( one that looks like a Watch), I would have all I need.

However my point is I am looking to step away from the Daddy of Phones to get a bigger screen in what is normally thought to be lesser spec in a 1320. I would have no need for my Cannon point and shoot with a 1020 as my main shooter.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I do understand that we are struggling to get even just 2 high end phones in 1 market which is stupid to say the least. We have the 930 no available in us and for UK not m8. Do we really need massive specs or is it we just want the best for the sake of it?

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
There is a market for high-end, high spec phones. Microsoft is choosing to ignore that segment of the market. So I'm forgetting Microsoft. Google can have my money.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
There is a market for high-end, high spec phones. Microsoft is choosing to ignore that segment of the market. So I'm forgetting Microsoft. Google can have my money.

I just came over from Android. The high end spec race grows boring after a while. I have a Lumia 920 that does exactly what I need. It all depends on what you use your phone for.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It's not about Cores or Ghz or RAM. A lot of people don't even really know how that has an effect on their real world usage. But their current flagships are falling behind. For instance, the 1020 would be perfectly fine except:

1. Other phones are starting to catch up and surpass in different areas of picture quality.
2. Camera is dog slow. Could use a more modern SOC such as the Snapdragon 810.
3. Windows 8.1 made the 1020 apps run slower. Resuming... Loading... Again could use a faster SOC.
4. Many modern flagships can fit larger batteries and are lighter and thinner. Miniaturization is the biggest driving factor in silicon progress.
5. There are a host of new tech being added to other flagships. Waterproofing, better FFC, low power Sensorcore and other sensors that don't use up SOC power, 1080p/60 video, 4K video, etc

The above are real world usage, not Ghz. Not every point matters to everyone but these are some examples. But as I said in another thread, MS is likely waiting for Windows 10 to release the true successors to the 920/1020 phones. And hopefully by Windows 10 we will also get the HTC M9 Windows version near the release of the Android version, not 6 months later.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I like what MSoft is doing with late releases of flagship phones. Instead, they're releasing updates to them (and even in almost every phone) which is much more different compared to most Android manufacturers. For example, for a phone to have 4K recording, you need to buy a new flagship. But since I have the 1520, I just need to wait for the Lumia Denim update. Isn't that practical? Android fans complain because of lack of updates. I will only understand WP fans' complaints if MS doesn't update too, but that's not clearly the case.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I like what MSoft is doing with late releases of flagship phones. Instead, they're releasing updates to them (and even in almost every phone) which is much more different compared to most Android manufacturers. For example, for a phone to have 4K recording, you need to buy a new flagship. But since I have the 1520, I just need to wait for the Lumia Denim update. Isn't that practical? Android fans complain because of lack of updates. I will only understand WP fans' complaints if MS doesn't update too, but that's not clearly the case.
I have been thinking the same thinkg, my Mrs got an xperia z1 in Jan and there was a time they didn't think they (Sony) would be bringing lollypop to it which is nuts but still 2 years later my 8x is still being updated and I'm cool with that although now on a 930 but they almost run the same

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I don't need the highest specs. I need good battery life and a carrier that will support WP. For those on Verizon, the future of WP is pretty dismal. Since I've been using Android, it's amazing that simple things like camera speed and notifications are so much better, even on less than high end android phones.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
To me, I do not mind the low end device; Yes my phone does not have a front facing camera or camera flash, but I did have other android phones before with equivalent or slightly better hardware specs and it was absolutely terrible. I truly cannot understand why android needs so many resources to run in the background just to run one application that is slow to the point of unusable. Windows phone is the most unique, flexible, and in all cases the most interesting and funnest operating system that I use on any phones I owned in the past.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Good point about android Mrs brought a note 3 now sits in the drawer as even with only 6 extra apps on it it always crashes, stutters and freezes

xjjon

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S3 and have been waiting for around 6 months to upgrade. I want to get a Windows phone but I won't get a low/mid range phone. My dad has an android as well and likes the 1020 but also does not want to buy an old phone. We are both waiting for a new high-end windows phone but it does not seem like it will happen. Not sure how long I will wait.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S3 and have been waiting for around 6 months to upgrade. I want to get a Windows phone but I won't get a low/mid range phone. My dad has an android as well and likes the 1020 but also does not want to buy an old phone. We are both waiting for a new high-end windows phone but it does not seem like it will happen. Not sure how long I will wait.

Sorry to say this but it seems you'll have to wait until next year for new releases unless you can settle with the 1520 or 930/Icon. But one thing is sure; whatever Lumia you buy now (which ran at least on WP 8) will be updated to Windows 10.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I'm sure like everyone else has been reading alot from everyone that they all want a new high end Lumia but I have been reading that people will leave windows and lumia and go to android if nothing is released.

My question is what makes you stay with windows and Lumia now?

I for one stay because of the platform and if no high end phones were ever released I'd still stay loyal to windows as I like it and don't like android.

I'm surprised so many people would leave just because a massive high spec phone doesn't come out and go to android that needs the specs where windows doesn't.
In my case is the OS. WP is the most fluid, elegant and easy to use mobile OS. I have all the apps and some more and I could asked for. Owned 920, 925 and now 1520. Specs by specs WP go head to head with any other.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I wonder why do people care so much about high end this days. In my opinion, this is an era where you could get the most value out of your phone. Especially for Windows Phone users.

The line up of devices is sufficient enough to cater to everyone's needs.
Need a badass battery life? Get the 1520/1320
Need a badass landscape shots camera? 1020 (although I hope they refresh this one soon haha)
Need an affordable phone? The 830 and below has the most flexible choices you could ever get out of any OS. And its not even that many.

The main point here is that ALL WP8 phones runs similarly and only differ in ram limitations and resuming loading times. As a fan of tech especially in smartphones. I could see that the smartphones war has become stagnant. The only way forward here is to innovate properly (battery life, faster camera, seamless syncing with other techs).

And Microsoft is going out with color and style.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
yep completely agree, hell a new flagship would be pointless now anyway, if they ,ade a 1530.. what can they possibly do to it to make it an upgrade and not a sidegrade?

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
yep completely agree, hell a new flagship would be pointless now anyway, if they ,ade a 1530.. what can they possibly do to it to make it an upgrade and not a sidegrade?

That my friend is exactly the point. The 1520 still looks and performs amazingly and so does the 1020. What would they do with the 1030 give it an extra 1gb ram, amoled screen perhaps but 41mp cam is already over kill so what's the point other than making the cam faster?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky