Is Microsoft unwise to ignore their own platform?

Silver Wind

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I find myself unable to see this as any other way but Microsoft admitting defeat to Apple and Google.

Microsoft is no longer competing with those two. Microsoft's new competition is with OpenOffice and whatever third party that makes Office Apps n iOS. It takes a company like Google to turn itself relevant after falling that far, and even it's failing miserably with Chrome OS, in spite of the Chrome mindshare.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft makes more money from Android than from Windows Phone thanks to the MS patents in the OS.

The rivals therefore have to be supported to ensure a continued stream of revenue.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
not ignoring, but lack of focus and advertising on its own platform.

Microsoft want to play safe, doesn't want to full bet on its platform (yet), people has no reason to switch to Windows Phone (now, for some).
Skype mostly used in business and family chit-chat tools, so making it cross-platform seems to be a MUST for other.
But what they need to do is make EXCLUSIVE on their own platform.
  • free group video call for skype, exclusive for Windows Phone only
  • extra weapons, discounts, customize, and extra storage space in Age of Empires: World Domination exclusive for Windows Phone only
  • Office 365 Pro version + theme selection free Windows Phone only

Microsoft don't want to publish Windows Phone. The reason they do that is because currently "lack of apps and developer support", "we still improving it to a better phone OS" etc, but when they do advertise it, it might be too late. OR THEY WANT TO DO IT WITH ONE SHOT, once gather enough developers, apps, special feature, Cortana supported in everywhere, and more, they will advertise to the WHOLE country and "all in" their money.

Hope they will finish everything and advertising Windows Phone everywhere

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
What we all need to remember is MSFT is a software company first. Always has been, and probably always will. Word for iOS is the second most free downloaded application next to Facebook. That's a win for MSFT. Admitting defeat is hardly what they're doing. Understanding the dynamic of the mobile market is the key. Getting caught up in market share isn't going to help them now. The average consumer who has an android or iPhone still typically uses some windows device whether it be laptop or desktop. What I can see is once Windows 10 is released and a unified ecosystem is more tangible, people will contemplate the simplicity of having a unified working information system setup vice what they currently have. I really see this if and she Cortana is implemented to other Windows devices. MSFTs one ecosystem approach would be the first completely unified structure and present a lot more possibilities. This is how WP, which will be referred to as Windows, will increase in popularity. If people aren't using MSFT software on other devices, why would they even look towards Windows?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
so what they could do is provide free subscription for those who use windows phone....

They already did that with some Windows tablets.

There is one thing I learned from this thread. There are a lot of whiners that no nothing about running a business.

Microsoft has already lost ground to Google Docs, etc. They can't afford to focus their efforts on a platform that has less than 5% market share, while the rest of the market switches to another service. This is not rocket science.

It's really simple, Office on mobile devices is free. Office on desktop is not.

You guys need to get over yourselves. If anything, you should be excited right because Windows 10 is going to be a massive update and investment into MS's own OS. And will included updates to Office for Touch, etc.

We've had Office on our Windows Phones for 4+ years, and on Windows tablets for 2+ years.

The other mobile platforms are just now getting them and you guys are complaining?

And what's worse for your whining, is Office on Windows tablets is the full Office. Just recompiled for RT on the Surface.

The only area slacking is in WP which they're clearing waiting to update until they have the two OSes unified and can launch one app suite.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
They already did that with some Windows tablets.

There is one thing I learned from this thread. There are a lot of whiners that no nothing about running a business.

Microsoft has already lost ground to Google Docs, etc. They can't afford to focus their efforts on a platform that has less than 5% market share, while the rest of the market switches to another service. This is not rocket science.

It's really simple, Office on mobile devices is free. Office on desktop is not.

You guys need to get over yourselves. If anything, you should be excited right because Windows 10 is going to be a massive update and investment into MS's own OS. And will included updates to Office for Touch, etc.

We've had Office on our Windows Phones for 4+ years, and on Windows tablets for 2+ years.

The other mobile platforms are just now getting them and you guys are complaining?

And what's worse for your whining, is Office on Windows tablets is the full Office. Just recompiled for RT on the Surface.

The only area slacking is in WP which they're clearing waiting to update until they have the two OSes unified and can launch one app suite.

Then what should we do, sit back and take it up the *** from Microsoft or complain and get something done. My guess is that you joined the WP ecosystem with WP8 and as such have no idea what WP7 was like. If it wasn't for complaints from early adopters like me then you would be using the version you are today.

Except that's where you're wrong, Office on iOS and Android IS free for home use only, want to use it for business then you NEED an Office 365 subscription.

Why should I be excited about Windows 10 when we've heard nothing about the ARM version, so we have no way of knowing if current devices will get it. My complaint has never been about the tablet version, even though RT users were promised a full touch based version in Office Gemini ages ago, as the version we currently have is superior to the iOS and Android versions anyway.

My complaint is with the 4+ year old WP version that has received one update in those 4+ years that added no real functionality anyway. There was absolutely no reason why they couldn't have removed Office from the core of the OS with WP8, they already did with Xbox Music and Video to enable faster updates. Waiting for Windows 10 and/or they can't focus on a platform that has less than 5% market share is BS as Windows 10 won't grow that market share anyway and they SHOULD be focused on a platform that has less than 5% of the market as IT'S THEIR OWN GOD DAMN PLATFORM.

Unifying the platform isn't a valid excuse either as Universal apps are here already.

binnyandrews

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Windows is dead in mobile. Windows 10 will make it even worst, Microsoft already gave up with Windows. They adopted Android and iOS as their preferred platforms to distribute their services.

I don't recommend buying Windows devices or developing for this platform.

Why are you here then?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I know you guys must have read, replied and discussed about this a lot lately but is the idea of supporting other platforms way before microsoft's own platform which needs to be poised for growth but instead the windows, windows phone and windows RT are biting dust while rivals are seeing the most developer love from microsoft at all sensible?

one of the most killer productivity suite of apps namely the Office is now universally available on IOS and is going to be available for Android very soon....and the touch version of it is not due on windows until windows 10. what reason should a productivity minded consumer have to move in with a platform that have little developer interest which is lead by the platform's owner itself?

we windows(phone) users are very synonymous with wait until the next big thing but IMO this is not gonna hold out much longer.the hardware and software are/were always top notch with windows platform albeit occasional hiccups but hey c'mon microsoft is not just a software and services company right now but also a hardware company.....if they cant support their own hardware division with the latest software there is absolutely no other reason for other developers to support windows. this is not the case just with Office but also some features with Skype Qik, Snipp3t for IOS and Skype itself....

though i think microsoft is one a very bold and different path from the old one i am extremely skeptical about this treating of their own service as a second hand one. now i understand that in a world of tech for the need to stay relevant you need to stay visible across the whole spectrum that doesnt mean your own platform has to be invisible. i dont like this aspect of the new microsoft and frankly i guess the consumers and developers show the same attitude towards MS too..

What do you guys think?

I am sorry but this line has gotten really old. Would people try for just a bit of perspective? First, the version of Office for IPads (not all ios devices) is a scaled version far below the capabilities of Office 365/2013. It is not a universally available version of a killer productivity suite. Rather, it is a touch enabled version with higher end stuff stripped out. Office for Android Tablets is also not available - it will come out as a preview/beta release for which people need to sign up before being able to test. Compare that to what is available on ANY Windows tablet with less than an I series processor. They ALL have either Office 2013 Home and Student or Office 365 Personal loaded unless an OEM chooses to not load it. Full blown Office vs a mobile version that has been beta tested by few (if any) - which is the better deal? For me the additional annoying irony is that most of what has been shown about Office for IPads doesn't look much more touch friendly than Office 365/2013. Of course this should come as no surprise given Office 365/2013 already has touch and release context menus and the overall ribbon structure was defined around the concept of abandoning conventional menus in favor of clustered functions.

As far as people with I series processors AND Macs having to pay for Office, so what? Someone has to pay for something or do people think that Microsoft is a charitable organization set up just for their benefit? As far as Office for iPhones and Android phones (which hold almost all of the market) they, along with Office for WP, have all sucked until the new version for iPhones was announced and even that is still a far cry from any other version of Office. You will see an updated version for Android phones eventually and WP when the new OS is finished. As far as WP goes, it is after all not an app but something that is embedded in the OS.

Beyond any of that how have people still missed the fact that Microsoft is in the process of upgrading ALL of their OSs? The reason you do not have some equivalent to Office for IPads is the touch version of Office for Windows is in parallel development with Windows 10. People will see it and get it when the OS is released. That, of course, will include OS upgrades for phones, tablets, and laptops/desktops. What is so hard to accept about that reality? I am sorry there is a disconnect for a few months but that is life. If they rushed it, I am sure most of the people whining about not having something now would be the first to line up an complain about bugs or half finished products and how Microsoft "is ignoring their own platform." The grass is really not always greener on the other side of the hill and, quite frankly, one of Microsoft's biggest hurdles is the fact that a vocal segment of the Windows community always seem to think someone else is getting a better deal largely based upon a Microsoft business model that has not existed for a very long time....

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If it wasn't for complaints from early adopters like me then you would be using the version you are today.

Wow, you're a super-duper smartphone complaint guy. You've done a great service to Windows Phone. We all - Microsoft included - owe you a great debt of gratitude.

There was absolutely no reason why they couldn't have removed Office from the core of the OS with WP8, they already did with Xbox Music and Video to enable faster updates.

It must be nice to have so much pull with Microsoft that you KNOW there was no reason. I'm sure you were told that in one of your weekly teleconferences with the Windows Phone development team, right?

they SHOULD be focused on a platform that has less than 5% of the market as IT'S THEIR OWN GOD DAMN PLATFORM.

I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't replaced their new CEO with you. You definitely have a much better handle on where Microsoft should be spending their resources than he does.

Now, sarcasm aside, Microsoft is a corporation whose shareholders want it to make money. Microsoft SHOULD be focused on whatever brings in the money for the shareholders within Microsoft's corporate focus. iOS and Android bring in the money; Windows Phone most likely exists only to try to bring in the money from the relatively small group of users (as you said, less than 5% of the US market) who don't want to use iOS and Android.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Then what should we do, sit back and take it up the *** from Microsoft or complain and get something done. My guess is that you joined the WP ecosystem with WP8 and as such have no idea what WP7 was like. If it wasn't for complaints from early adopters like me then you would be using the version you are today.

Except that's where you're wrong, Office on iOS and Android IS free for home use only, want to use it for business then you NEED an Office 365 subscription.

Why should I be excited about Windows 10 when we've heard nothing about the ARM version, so we have no way of knowing if current devices will get it. My complaint has never been about the tablet version, even though RT users were promised a full touch based version in Office Gemini ages ago, as the version we currently have is superior to the iOS and Android versions anyway.

My complaint is with the 4+ year old WP version that has received one update in those 4+ years that added no real functionality anyway. There was absolutely no reason why they couldn't have removed Office from the core of the OS with WP8, they already did with Xbox Music and Video to enable faster updates. Waiting for Windows 10 and/or they can't focus on a platform that has less than 5% market share is BS as Windows 10 won't grow that market share anyway and they SHOULD be focused on a platform that has less than 5% of the market as IT'S THEIR OWN GOD DAMN PLATFORM.

Unifying the platform isn't a valid excuse either as Universal apps are here already.

Well I have been a Windows Phone user since WP7 so I know what you're talking about, but I think you're points are a little skewed. First MSFT admitted that when WP7 was introduced it wasn't designed to be an enterprise capable ecosystem. Yeah it offered a lot of unique features, some of which have since been removed like Facebook and Twitter integration with the native SMS, but that was a necessary move as well. As for there being no mention of ARM, that is also incorrect. MSFT has mentioned merging RT and WP together to present a unified ecosystem often.
As far as Office is concerned, even with the other ecosystems providing administration application suites, Office is still the reigning champion by a long shot. MSFT made the home version of office free, because iWork, and Google Docs are free. The caveat is that most people who use those other platforms still use some form of Office, especially when you're talking about corporations and enterprise. It is an excellent move from MSFT to possible entice users to buy Office 365 for business to better utilize the suite.
Universal apps do exist, but this hasn't been a priority until recently, so allow it time to take its form.

All in all like I said, MSFT has always been software first. In retrospect it they still are one of the three most popular companies next to Apple and Google so they're doing just fine. Sataya has made an effort to transition MSFT's focus to a mobile first direction, but from a desktop driven company, that will take time. Has WP increased market share every year since they've come out? Yes. What indications do we have that gives us any reason to believe that trend won't continue? Nothing. Windows 10 looks to be the best OS from MSFT since XP, and that can be a game changer, so you can't say it doesn't matter because we've yet to see. Go back to the Matrix Neo.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I think I stopped reading your post after about 2 lines because it's a wall of text. Learn to paragraph.

As to what I think you mean based on those 2 lines and your subject? No, I don't think they're dumb. Windows Phone users (myself included, even, at one point) seem to labor under the misguided idea that if you buy a Windows Phone you are somehow important to Microsoft, or that you mean something to Microsoft, and that Microsoft owes you a premium experience.

Microsoft is a corporation, and a corporation's main goal is to make money for the shareholders. Microsoft is going to go where the money is at, and unfortunately, that's not in Windows Phone. I'm not saying that Windows Phone is doomed or that there's NO money in it whatsoever, but there's MORE money in Android and iOS. That's what they would be dumb to ignore.

If this logic holds then what is the justification for any consumer to opt for Windows Phone? Given that the better services are on iOS and Android, why should not the consumer go to those eco-systems? What is the advantage of remaining on Windows Phone? Take me for example, I have a Win 8.1 x64 desktop machine, a Surface Pro 3, an iPad Air and the L830. Most of my work is done on the SP3, the desktop machine is a back-up; I use O365 extensively. Now, what is the logic of my using Windows Phone? Will I not be better off using Android or iOS - probably iOS (even though the h/w is expensive) because their app eco-system is excellent (and the recent Windows contribution to it makes the question of integration with my work-flow virtually seamless)?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I remember when the excuse was that better Microsoft apps on ios and android would bring people to WP. Now that excuse is out the window. Guess by the time the savior OS Windows 10 hits the story will change again to somehow being a massive win for WP which will be even further in obscurity. Can't wait to read the spin on that one.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Because they don't like iOS and/or Android? That seems fairly obvious.

Look...I also don't like Android (I've used Android phones before I moved to Win Phone) and am ambivalent about iOS (my only exposure has been the iPad 4 and now the Air). What I do know is that the latter's eco-system is very good and with MS introducing their apps it has made the integration of iOS devices much easier for me. That said, I will not want a Mac as a desktop machine and nor will I give up my SP3, which is one of the best devices that I have ever owned (and this is coming from a ThinkPad fanatic!).

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ah, so this is how Microsoft is going to gain market share then. /s

I didn't say anything about Microsoft gaining market share. Honestly... in my opinion, they won't. Not in the US, at least. They might have a chance outside of the US by targeting mid- and low-end devices, but where they're at now is as good as they're going to get in the US.

But again, I don't think that matters to Microsoft. With their recent focus on services, it doesn't matter which platform uses the services. If they're being used - be it on iOS, Android, or WP - that's all that matters.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I didn't say anything about Microsoft gaining market share. Honestly... in my opinion, they won't. Not in the US, at least. They might have a chance outside of the US by targeting mid- and low-end devices, but where they're at now is as good as they're going to get in the US.

But again, I don't think that matters to Microsoft. With their recent focus on services, it doesn't matter which platform uses the services. If they're being used - be it on iOS, Android, or WP - that's all that matters.

In which case it makes little sense for customers to invest their hard-earned money in the WP platform and eventually for MS to keep investing in WP development.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

My point is that if Microsoft are putting "MOBILE first, Cloud first" then shouldn't they be looking to increase their market share in the mobile space which they first lost to Apple and now to Google. The problem is that people aren't going to move to WP from iOS or Android if they can get ALL of the services Microsoft have to offer on their existing platform. I'm assuming that Cortana will be the next thing to be ported across to iOS and Android and in that case what would be the reason for anyone to switch or continue to use Windows Phone.

Windows Phone already has poor market share as it is and Android got into the dominant position it is today by Google ignoring everyone else and putting their platform first.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
My point is that if Microsoft are putting "MOBILE first, Cloud first" then shouldn't they be looking to increase their market share in the mobile space which they first lost to Apple and now to Google. The problem is that people aren't going to move to WP from iOS or Android if they can get ALL of the services Microsoft have to offer on their existing platform. I'm assuming that Cortana will be the next thing to be ported across to iOS and Android and in that case what would be the reason for anyone to switch or continue to use Windows Phone.

Windows Phone already has poor market share as it is and Android got into the dominant position it is today by Google ignoring everyone else and putting their platform first.

Very true! I just wonder how MS is rationalizing this strategy. I wish MS would publish a roadmap of sorts about the WP strategy so that existing and potential customers can work out what the MS thinking is about this. As things stand, MS seems to be all muddled up. Don't get me wrong, I do think their "mobile first/ cloud first" strategy makes a lot of sense, but it completely runs counter to their WP strategy. I can only think of the release of Win 10 that may explain better what MS is thinking and has up its sleeve. But then again, that is potentially a wait till Sept. 2015.

mon_Wentworth

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
The thing is pretty simple:
If you want better apps and faster updates from Microsoft, get an iPhone.

Microsoft is putting their resources where the people is, and as of right now that is iOS. I think Windows Phone is a hobby for MSFT. They know they are never going to catch up with Google or Apple so they are doing the smart thing giving the top two platforms top notch apps and services.
Actually, if Apple would follow Microsoft's steps and develop some of their services to other platforms they would grow even bigger.
I just hope Microsoft is taking Windows 10 for phone a little more seriously than Windows Phone 8, and hey, If they decide to give up the mobile division, I will still use outlook and office on any of the other platforms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos