Is Microsoft unwise to ignore their own platform?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Just keeps getting better for us WP users, doesn't it? Cortana may soon be ready to impart her knowledge onto iPhone, Android users | Windows Central

And before anyone asks, the only unique feature left in WP is live tiles. How's that for a mobile strategy?

Unlike Office, I don't see Cortana being a draw to users of other platforms. Google Now on Android is at least equal, so why use Cortana? Cortana is arguably better than Siri, but it wouldn't be able to fully integrated with iOS. Google Now is on iOS, and it's not nearly as functional as it is on Android. So Cortana on iOS probably wouldn't be any better than Siri.

In short, I wouldn't be too concerned about Cortana going cross platform. The bigger problem to me is the message it sends.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Going by current trends, that wont be the case. And I don't think panic is necessary, just scoping out which would be the better platform to switch to.

That makes sense from a service provider standpoint. From a mobile platform owner standpoint, it has no benefit. Lets not forget Microsoft did pay out a few billion dollars for Nokia's hardware division, I guess they are preparing to write that acquisition off like they did with aQuantive because this strategy they are on now is not going to get them any growth and return for their mobile platform investment.

Microsoft has almost a year to decide if releasing Windows 10 for mobile makes sense anymore. They lose a lot of money distributing and promoting a product globally, with razor thin margins, just to sell a few units.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has almost a year to decide if releasing Windows 10 for mobile makes sense anymore. They lose a lot of money distributing and promoting a product globally, with razor thin margins, just to sell a few units.

Wow, you really are trying to kill Windows in the mobile world. Microsoft is not killing any of their mobile initiatives. Get that through your head now, or you'll continue to look foolish.

Joe stated they will announce their consumer/mobile features for Windows 10 in January. That's a fact.

Satya Nadella has said in every interview, "Mobile first, cloud first."

Mobile is THE future of the computing industry. It's where the entire market growth is. Microsoft might as well close their doors if they think skipping out on mobile is the answer like you seem to claim.

MS was smart in giving enterprises some love by announcing some great knew desktop features for Windows 10. But apparently you can't get past that, and are convinced that was a sign they are bailing on mobile despite all the other evidence, and direct statements from MS that say otherwise.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Mobile and cloud era is all about connectivity. And not just device connectivity but software connectivity as well. Microsoft has realized this with Nadella in power. A lot of Microsoft's windows PC customer base own android and iOS as their phones. Microsoft is going with a connected/integrated/collaborative experience with their software services. True, MS services or Windows 'Apps' ain't yet available but they will release alongside Windows 10. That's where MS is going with cross platform development. It is a double edged sword for android and iOS users too who use windows PCs. How soon will they start to wonder the lack of complimentary apps on their windows PC? Soon, these big name software providers will be the ones who will start to look like idiots.
Ofcourse, it all depends on Windows 10 market share and if Microsoft enforces universal app development. Windows 10 has good chance of adoption with its Windows 7ish looks and UI more in line with what Windows 7 & XP users are used to.
So, yeah, Windows 10 may not be itself a game changer but it is not meant to be. It is instead a stepping stone, a foundation laid of sorts on which Microsoft's ecosystem will build.
About Microsoft's apps being poor on WP, it is because of the complexities of universal app development and the merging of underlying WinRT for phones and tablets. Once these hurdles are overcome with Windows 10, MS can speed up the development of its services on Windows. And now that WinRT will affect all of MS devices, there is more incentive for MS to make it better and do it quicker. Same can be said about 3rd party development support. In 2-3 years WinRT will have enough feature parity with iOS and android to make it a real competition and hopefully better developer support by then.
All this doesn't mean that Windows on phones will be able to overcome the stigma or public perception associated to it or increase its share dramatically but it will definitely be the most awesome ecosystem for its loyal user base within years to come.
You might have noticed a shift in Microsoft's strategy for Devices unit after acquisition. Phones released under them like 530, 730/735 and newly announced 535 gives some of the best value for money among smartphones(830 being an exception). They are thinner, lighter, with SD slots, removable backs and batteries. And with inclusion of flash and front facing snapper and 1GB RAM with 535, tells us that Microsoft is listening. And taking the feedback into account for future releases.
That's probably why they haven't released a flagship this year. They don't want to repeat the half baked software and hardware fiasco that WP8/8.1 was. They will lay the groundwork with Windows 10 for Universal App development plus latest and greatest hardware support and come out with a bang in 2015 with 1030(best smartphone camera), Surface Pro 4(Best convertible), 1530 and 940.
*cheers*

Last edited:

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here's more proof that Microsoft is focusing on services and mobile/cloud first:
Microsoft open sources .NET, takes it to Linux and OS X | Ars Technica

All of these things that they're pushing out to other platforms - Office, OneDrive, OneNote, .NET - already work on their own platforms. Because they are trying to attain a platform agnostic position, they have to get those other platforms up to par. If Windows Phone suffers in the short term, that's probably an acceptable situation for them, especially if Windows 10 is the "step" which brings Windows Phone (even though it won't then be called Windows Phone) up to par with everything else.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Here's more proof that Microsoft is focusing on services and mobile/cloud first:
Microsoft open sources .NET, takes it to Linux and OS X | Ars Technica

All of these things that they're pushing out to other platforms - Office, OneDrive, OneNote, .NET - already work on their own platforms. Because they are trying to attain a platform agnostic position, they have to get those other platforms up to par. If Windows Phone suffers in the short term, that's probably an acceptable situation for them, especially if Windows 10 is the "step" which brings Windows Phone (even though it won't then be called Windows Phone) up to par with everything else.

What many people have failed to read into is that Windows 10 for ARM won't be a final release in 2015 but a preview version which will be available in late 2015, so I wouldn't expect the final release until early 2016.

noobchief

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I am a user since WM6.5, after reading Tom Warren's article, I feel like quitting, because I'm simply tired of waiting. Any opinions?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I am a user since WM6.5, after reading Tom Warren's article, I feel like quitting, because I'm simply tired of waiting. Any opinions?

I share your sadness. I just bought a new Lumia 830. I love it, it's a beautiful piece of hardware and serves my needs. I hope MS continues to improve its soul though

dbdmora

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Good article by the Verge Microsoft?s Android and iOS focus leaves Windows users in the cold | The Verge

I agree MS, should make the apps on the WP platform first and then other Mobile OSes. Why would i not switch to Android if they will get the better windows apps first before a WP user plus Andriod has a better app catalog. I love my 1020 but it is getting older and I want something better now. MS needs to make a high-end WP phone soon or I will need to switch unfortunately especially if they won't even update their own Apps.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind MS making services available on other platforms.

I don't mind if the apps are just as good on Android and iOS.

I DO mind when they are inferior on WP. It shows that they take loyal WP users for granted.

It's like MS is a parent who buys brand new clothes for the neighbors kids because they are cool and popular. For their own kids? Hand-me-downs.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't mind MS making services available on other platforms.

I don't mind if the apps are just as good on Android and iOS.

I DO mind when they are inferior on WP. It shows that they take loyal WP users for granted.

It's like MS is a parent who buys brand new clothes for the neighbors kids because they are cool and popular. For their own kids? Hand-me-downs.

This. Especially that analogy

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
well...the best way is keep uservoice growing or like i already suggested, start a petition for the sake of drawing their attention...just complaining about this problems in a forum won't really help but making some noise sure will and the more noise we make, the best

akila madawa

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I really think that they should care more about wp . . Dat should be there priority WHICH IS NOT . . for an example nexus series . . no matter how hard samsung and other devices try if someone wants the best out of a android device you got to pick the nexus . . I mean . . they just have made that phone the cream . . that's exactly what microsoft should do u know . . Instead of selling out to other . . I've been very loyal and faithful since the day one with windowsphone . . You know hoping everyday the future will be better it will be unique . . But the way this goes . . ??!! lets see what you got windows10 . . and if this is the way it goes still after that . . I hate Android devices but . . Nexus really is something . .

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
What many people have failed to read into is that Windows 10 for ARM won't be a final release in 2015 but a preview version which will be available in late 2015, so I wouldn't expect the final release until early 2016.

Can you provide a source/an article link for this information?

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
well...the best way is keep uservoice growing or like i already suggested, start a petition for the sake of drawing their attention...just complaining about this problems in a forum won't really help but making some noise sure will and the more noise we make, the best

The problem with UserVoice is so many of the comments there are pointless. People waste their votes on things like "Please bring X Language to Cortana!" (localization takes time...it's coming already) or they open suggestions that are identical to others so none of them ever reach the top. So I've pretty much stopped using it except in my signature or in comments on duplicated suggestions to link those people to the identical suggestion that has many times the votes.

Last edited:

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I'll try to find the article in question and post it here ;-)

Edit: Here you go: http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-preview-phones-arm-not-due-until-2015

Yeah, I read that. But the same article quotes MJF(who is one of the most reliable source on MSFT news) that preview version will be available around Jan/Feb and since Windows 10 will officially be announced at Build 2015, why would you think that Windows 10 on ARM will come in 2016. I'd wager a guess that new devices with Windows 10(PCs, Phones, Tablets, Convertibles) will start to release from Summer of 2015 or at the most Fall of 2015.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The problem with UserVoice is so many of the comments there are pointless. People waste their votes on things like "Please bring X Language to Cortana!" (localization takes time...it's coming already) or they open suggestions that are identical to others so none of them ever reach the top. So I've pretty much stopped using it except in my signature or in comments on duplicated suggestions to link those people to the identical suggestion that has many times the votes.

While that is all true, please everyone, continue to go to User Voice and do your best to read, prioritize, and vote. Please persevere. Have your say. Vote.

Yes, Microsoft is making a mistake slighting their platform and customers. Their support of other platforms makes economic sense, but should be "branded" with the look and feel of todays modern evolving UI, not yesterdays google UI.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I read that. But the same article quotes MJF(who is one of the most reliable source on MSFT news) that preview version will be available around Jan/Feb and since Windows 10 will officially be announced at Build 2015, why would you think that Windows 10 on ARM will come in 2016. I'd wager a guess that new devices with Windows 10(PCs, Phones, Tablets, Convertibles) will start to release from Summer of 2015 or at the most Fall of 2015.

The article also quotes Joe Belfiore stating that the preview for ARM will be coming "well into 2015", MJF simply states Windows so without knowing if she is talking about the x86/x64 version or the ARM version we don't know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium