Is Microsoft unwise to ignore their own platform?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry win10 will fix it.....

Yeah, no. People said the same about WP7.1, 7.5, 7.8, 8.0 and 8.1 and what happened, nothing!!!!

Windows 10 won't be the saviour that you think it will be going on previous releases.

Last edited:

Silence#WP

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
Don't worry win10 will fix it.....

I think the "....." suggests sarcasm, and I'm inclined to agree with you. Even if 10 does fix it, and I hope it does, it is definitely going to take some time. Hopefully 10 is successful on traditional computers and more compelling on mobile devices creating a large unified market that no developer can easily ignore.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Even if 10 does fix it, and I hope it does, it is definitely going to take some time.

Yes, agreed. Unfortunately, time is a luxury that Microsoft doesn't have. I believe that Windows 10 would fix it, IF the competition were standing still! They aren't.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
wp10.5 will fix it! (I like to stay ahead of the pack) ;-)

Anyway, only after WP offers something a LOT of people REALLY want, something that is easily marketable and demonstrable on TV, and which iOS and Android devices lack, only then will things change. So far I'm not aware of any such w10 related feature. The most important differences we know of are once again concerned with unification and under the hood changes. The good news is that this time, MS really will have arrived at the destination of their unification journey. That will open a lot of doors and possibilities, but as of now I think that is merely an enabler. By itself, it's just nowhere close to being a winning move. I'm actually more interested in what comes after wp10...

If wp10 turns things around, it will be done by something we haven't yet heard of.

Hopefully 10 is successful on traditional computers and more compelling on mobile devices creating a large unified market that no developer can easily ignore.

The thing is, it's not enough for W10 to be successful on traditional computers. It has to be successful in creating demand for Windows Store apps, which might not happen even with it being wildly successful. If people just continue to use the same software they always have, nothing changes... My problem with that is that I don't perceive Windows Store apps to be the kind of thing desktop/laptop owners have long been waiting for.

Last edited:

Silence#WP

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site

If wp10 turns things around, it will be done by something we haven't yet heard of.

The thing is, it's not enough for W10 to be successful on traditional computers. It has to be successful in creating demand for Windows Store apps, which might not happen even with it being wildly successful. If people just continue to use the same software they always have, nothing changes... My problem with that is that I don't perceive Windows Store apps to be the kind of thing desktop/laptop owners have long been waiting for.

I wonder what that thing we haven't heard of yet will be? Just like the iPhone changed the market almost overnight something else will eventually come along and shake everything up again. It might even come from Microsoft! :)

I agree with you that Windows Store apps may have limited appeal to desktop/laptop owners (I know I use very few on my laptop). Maybe the ability to run them in windows on the desktop will change that somewhat? But if we can't look at the unified store and consider the market as one across traditional computers, hybrids, tablets, and phones how will we ever get the numbers to draw in developers who may be reluctant because they perceive the WP and/or Windows Tablet market as too small?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Anyway, only after WP offers something a LOT of people REALLY want, something that is easily marketable and demonstrable on TV, and which iOS and Android devices lack, only then will things change. So far I'm not aware of any such w10 related feature. The most important differences we know of are once again concerned with unification and under the hood changes. The good news is that this time, MS really will have arrived at the destination of their unification journey. That will open a lot of doors and possibilities, but as of now I think that is merely an enabler. By itself, it's just nowhere close to being a winning move. I'm actually more interested in what comes after wp10...

You sir have nailed it! I also believe that Windows 10 is the culmination of Microsoft's unification goal. It may also be a testbed to see what the market is after. We talk about Samsung throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks. There may be some of that here with W10. Is Microsoft's recent push to strengthen their ecosystem on iOS & Android preparation for the possible deprecation of the phone division down the road?

Exactly. PCs do not need Store apps, at least not yet. Mobile devices not using full Windows do need them. In order for Microsoft's phones to stay relevant, they will need to bolster the mobile ecosystem somehow by getting more, and better quality, apps. Is Windows 10 that vehicle?

I agree with you that Windows Store apps may have limited appeal to desktop/laptop owners (I know I use very few on my laptop). Maybe the ability to run them in windows on the desktop will change that somewhat? But if we can't look at the unified store and consider the market as one across traditional computers, hybrids, tablets, and phones how will we ever get the numbers to draw in developers who may be reluctant because they perceive the WP and/or Windows Tablet market as too small?

Again, the quality of the apps, even the Windows apps, leaves a lot to be desired. That's probably at least part of the reason they don't seem to be used much on Windows machines. The experience is often better using the browser. I use very few, if any. I've tried some, but they lack. A couple years ago I was very excited when MLB released a Windows app, since I subscribe to MLB.TV. However, after using the app a bit I went back to using the browser. Then MLB released a WP app, and that one was also bad, especially compared to its Android counterpart. It was better than nothing, but barely.

Silence#WP

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
They are not ignoring it.

Are you responding to me? If you think your comments are pithy they are not. While many first tier developers have come on board and are developing (well) for WP many others are not making WP apps or are producing inferior WP versions. If you look at second/third tier developers and/or regional/local offerings the situation is much worse or at least that is what I see in my part of the US. Maybe in other parts of the US or in other countries the situation is different.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I've seen this argument countless times.

I don't believe Microsoft is "ignoring" the WP platform. I remember for months before the 8.1 update, many apps were being updated on rivals OS' and everyone called foul... only for those updates to come after the 8.1 release.

I believe the same thing is happening here while waiting on the Windows 10 update. It would be counterproductive to update the Office suite when we all know that a new touch friendly version is in the pipeline and that a type of merger between WP and RT is happening. That's just an example, but one that could be applied to many WP apps.

Windows 10 will be another major update akin to the 8.1 update. Commiting resources to develop what would basically be temporary apps just doesn't make sense.

Patience.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

This is the exact reasoning that is missing from the Windows 10 cheerleaders attempts to deflect criticism of Microsoft. I am certain that on desktops Windows 10 will be a resounding success but that doesn't have a direct bearing on renewed interest in store apps. Maybe the weather app and a few social media apps will be pinned to the taskbar but mass adoption of store apps, which to date have been poor, is not a realistic expectation. The fate of Windows 10 on tablets and phones is going to depend on some new feature that makes these devices more desirable than what is currently available and compelling enough that people ignore the lack of quality apps. Frankly that is not something I think will happen.

Razp

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I just switched back to Android, and guess what? The Play Store is full or Microsoft apps for just about everything Microsoft offers, and it's all higher quality and has more features than the freaking WP version of it. I heard about this, but seeing it for myself was something else. Come on Microsoft, what the heck is going on? Definitely not an incentive to switching back to WP in the future.

Just got 5.0 on my new Nexus 5 and yes, MS apps are a blast to use on Android.
My 925 is waiting for Windows 10.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
But if we can't look at the unified store and consider the market as one across traditional computers, hybrids, tablets, and phones, how will we ever get the numbers to draw in developers who may be reluctant because they perceive the WP and/or Windows Tablet market as too small?

Yup, that's the million dollar question.
That's why I've always said that what MS needs, first and foremost, is a stand out, unique and marketable signature feature (maybe even two or three). That is necessary to create demand. I don't see how unifying Window's and WP's app stores creates demand. IMHO that may, by itself, achieve absolutely nothing except the creation of a very large marketplace where almost nobody goes to buy stuff. For developers that's no better than today. While I think WinRT is great for phone/tablett apps, I don't currently see it as a viable technology for creating anything better than fisher price like desktop software. At the very least I think that would have to change before I'd expect much demand from the desktop/laptop crowd. I don't think W10 will do that for us however.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I've seen this argument countless times.

I don't believe Microsoft is "ignoring" the WP platform. I remember for months before the 8.1 update, many apps were being updated on rivals OS' and everyone called foul... only for those updates to come after the 8.1 release.

I believe the same thing is happening here while waiting on the Windows 10 update. It would be counterproductive to update the Office suite when we all know that a new touch friendly version is in the pipeline and that a type of merger between WP and RT is happening. That's just an example, but one that could be applied to many WP apps.

Windows 10 will be another major update akin to the 8.1 update. Commiting resources to develop what would basically be temporary apps just doesn't make sense.

Patience.
Patience? Boy do we know patience....were on WP! That's all we've been is patient

LumiAss

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is struggling with their own platform (windows phone). They've realize that wp is sh*tty os. Even they can't optimize their own apps in their os, for example: Music, video player, office, Skype, etc. Even office and skype has more quality in other platform. MS can't make good multitasking performance in wp. Even device with 2gb of ram still often see resuming and never ending loading screen in my 1020. Wp have no usb otg and usb tethering. Android gingerbread in 2011 can do it all.
Now it's 2014 and wp just get 8.1 since wp 8 released in 2012 and just very few small feature added to the os.
I think app developers know about this. So they will think thousand times before starting develop app for wp AND Microsoft also know and really realized about this. They know that they never can win from android and ios. So they decide to spread their services into another platforms. They just competing in services, not with windows phone. This fuc*ing phone can't do anything simplicity, even silencing the ringtone and turn off cellular data can't instantly. My old nokia without os can be silenced just with 2 step!!!
I bought WP just cause Nokia Camera. I still wonder what will WP be without Nokia. Garbage.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yup, that's the million dollar question.
That's why I've always said that what MS needs, first and foremost, is a stand out, unique and marketable signature feature (maybe even two or three). That is necessary to create demand. I don't see how unifying Window's and WP's app stores creates demand. IMHO that may, by itself, achieve absolutely nothing except the creation of a very large marketplace where almost nobody goes to buy stuff. For developers that's no better than today. While I think WinRT is great for phone/tablett apps, I don't currently see it as a viable technology for creating anything better than fisher price like desktop software. At the very least I think that would have to change before I'd expect much demand from the desktop/laptop crowd. I don't think W10 will do that for us however.

You say "Fisher Price", I say "touch friendly". :) I finally bought a small new laptop (Dell Inspiron 11-3148, fantastic value!) with touch screen that doubles as a tablet when folded over. While I've always liked Windows 8.1 on the desktop, I rarely used the RT apps, since with mouse and keyboard they don't really do that much (except in some cases) to advance my enjoyment and usability of it.
But in touch mode, what a difference! Now I usually go to the apps (mail, Netflix, Facebook etc) first, even though I can use the keyboard on the laptop as well. I think a lot of people feel the same way. As touch laptops continue to replace older laptops on a larger scale, there will be a built-in userbase soon enough for the Windows App store. It might take a little while, but it will be there... and when it is, the Windows phones can piggyback on that, even though the marketshare for them might still be in the low single digits. I'm guessing this is Microsoft's strategy, and in this case I think they are right.

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I understand that they wait till 10 with office. That way they can optimize it for 10.
It is for me not a big problem.

I love my Windows phone and wile there are apps missing, I don't swap to ios or android.
Ios way to expansive and to closed for me. I don't want to be told wat is good for me.
Android is only good on high end phones and even than it is to much from everything. Every were there are menus and it is not consistent.
Yes there is less support for WP but it works great on every phone, high an low end. It is the same on every phone and works very easy.
Apple always complained about Windows that it was a screen full of icons. As I look to ios I only see icons. The tiles make that I can find my apps very fast and I can make them the way I like so I can find everything even faster.

Lately I noticed that more and more apps are coming to WP rapidly and I believe that 10 will only make it even more attractive to developers and more apps will come.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99