Windows Phone 8.1's music app and why I'm not angry anymore

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Let's start with some numbers.

68.% 10 seconds. 625. 47%

In January 2013, PEW researchers discovered that 68% of smartphone users use their phones to take music. That was nearly two years ago and I suspect that number may have grown. 10 seconds is the amount of time it took me to start the stock music player from a fresh boot on my Lumia 625. 47% is the number of Windows phones currently running 8.1 at the moment.

This is simply unacceptable.

From the moment Windows Phone 8.1 was released, threads sprung up on several fan forums complaining about the music app. Cooler heads popped up and advised that as Microsoft was shipping a dev preview, while the OS may have been finished, some apps were yet to be updated to support Windows Phone 8.1.

elwin lobo

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I too agree with this... Infact I've accepted that I've got to learn to adjust for most of the apps on the platform... It's just the way it's going to be until developers including Microsoft's or excluding Microsoft's take this platform seriously... Windows 10 maybe the last option and even after that if the devs don't pay much attention to this platform then I don't think anything that Microsoft does will convince them from the point of view for mobile devices

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
The music app is usable in it's current state. Yes, it's not as fast as the 8.0 app and it's ugly but it gets the job done. I don't get the constant complaining. The app has improved and continues to improve.

Edit: Lumia 625 here. Less than two seconds to open the app. Just tried to reproduce your 10 seconds and couldn't.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
The music app is usable in it's current state. Yes, it's not as fast as the 8.0 app and it's ugly but it gets the job done. I don't get the constant complaining. The app has improved and continues to improve.
The 8.0 app wasn't winning any speed records either but I think you may be on to something

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Samsung ATIV S i8750, WP8.1.1 (not PfD), Music App opening time 1,6 seconds (just measured, lol), just to add my experience. Altho I am not using my phone to listen music, I have my own compact mp3 player for that.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Had this been written a few months ago, I may understand some of the anger. But I gotta say, since the last few updates, I can't find anything to complain about. The app starts quickly, and it always plays my songs, whether I play an album, playlist or tracks at random.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Edit: Lumia 625 here. Less than two seconds to open the app. Just tried to reproduce your 10 seconds and couldn't.
It's vastly inconsistent. Sometimes its relatively fastr, sometimes everything has to load fully. I.e Splashcreen rist, then black screen, then panorama, then recent plays, then player.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
It's vastly inconsistent. Sometimes its relatively fastr, sometimes everything has to load fully. I.e Splashcreen rist, then black screen, then panorama, then recent plays, then player.
It hasn't been slow for me for a long time. It's a good app, could use a little improvement, but experiencing where it came from, they've made great progress. Keep it up Microsoft <3

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It takes 1.5 seconds to open and then other 1.5 seconds to show the album art. While you may say it as fast, I see it unacceptable. It should load everything right away when I touch the music tile. It's a damn music player, not Microsoft visual studio to take some time for loading. Also the stutter in now playing playlist screen, what about that? IMO, it's pathetic!

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah. You can't just copy and paste someone else's work without providing a reference. Even if the source is garbage.

Xbox Music still sucks, and that's a shame

Actually the article is written by some Michael Allison. The opening post of this thread is from some Ebuka Allison, so, either is the same person or some brother or cousin of the writer of that article :)
EDIT: Nope, it's the same person Michael Ebuka Allison
Michael Allison

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I also have a very annoying experience with the xbox music app even with the lumia 1520 which is one of the best experiences in terms of performance that windows phone has to offer. The app has not been written with the WinRT api as one can tell that when you back out of the app it closes and does not say in the multitasking screen. Like others have said, it is unoptimized for the lumia 1520 screen size and resolution and I have little hope of this improving. All windows phone users can do is wait, or switch. I found a great alternative to the xbox music app with an app called Quickplay. Do check this app out it is windows phone 8.1 optimized and seems to perform very well. An awesome app to use for music and video collection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster