12-29-2014 05:20 PM
237 1234 ...
tools
    I'm currently living with both the iPhone 6 Plus and the Lumia 1520. There are not a lot of major differences, but several minor things that add up. I like the 1520's hardware better: larger screen, colorful polycarbonate body, 20 megapixel camera, SD card, better button placement, micro USB instead of a specialized cable. I also like the live tiles, customization, the back button that closes the program, web browser and the fact the 1520 is almost half the price of the iPhone 6 Plus. Cortana is better than Siri. With iPhone I like the fingerprint sensor, the numerous high quality apps and endless number of accessories. With iPhone's apps I can do things I can't do with Windows Phone: read my Nook books and magazines, easily look at real estate, start my car remotely, control my thermostat remotely. Currently Office apps are better on iPhone than WP but I have yet to be able to find a workout app on iPhone that I like as much as GymAce on Windows Phone. I still haven't decided which one I am going to keep.

11-10-2014 08:44 PM
    I'm a frequent switcher between the two, I've had my iPhone 6 since launch and am looking to hop back over to WP. I am torn in what I'll miss, but I'm torn already with what I feel I'm missing. Cortana is a huge plus, it's evolving constantly where Siri will stay the same until a significant point or full version release. The WP WordFlow keyboard blows away any one tried on IOS so far. I really like being able to see interaction history with contacts on a swipe, and still feel the email client on WP is second to none.
    What will I miss leaving Apple? Voice dictation of email, several, several app and the simpler and usually better camera experience.
    11-10-2014 09:07 PM
    I currently also uses both a 1520 and a 6+. There's nothing better on the iPhone except that dreaded 3rd party app gap (in terms of quality) and Touch ID. For the base OS WP is much better than iOS. My homescreen on WP is much more useful and well organised than iOS can hope to be. iOS has more apps, but there's less features in the OS which means you have to pay for a lot of features. eg I can't even get a nice data usage widget in iOS 8 unless I pay for one, whereas Data Sense is so good on WP and I constantly have a Live Tile on the homescreen telling me exactly how much data I have left for the month.

Oh and definitely the keyboard. The default keyboard on iOS still blows hard after all these years - no good distinction between upper and low case letter and the dictionary is crap.
    11-10-2014 09:11 PM
    Windows Phone does not bend :p
    11-10-2014 09:13 PM
    I sincerely believe that MS doesn't care which phone OS you use as long as you use MS applications. There is not much incentive anymore to move to Windows Phone nor would it be too disruptive to leave for another OS. This is a good thing - unless you somehow have a hope that Windows Phone will ever gain significant market share.
    undulose and neo158 like this.
    11-10-2014 10:11 PM
    Seriously considering returning to the iPhone and yes I will miss the live tiles but honestly it is starting to look like that is all I will miss especially if that article I read says we can get the benefits of Cortana on Apple. Unless a miracle happens I don't see a real flag ship phone appearing by the time my contract is up. I will keep my 2520, will keep the laptop updated to Windows Preview 10. Of course I could also switch to Samsung. I just don't think Microsoft is listening to anything.
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    11-10-2014 10:13 PM
    "I have one word for you: iTunes. That **** is awful."

X-box music is far worse. So bad, in fact, that I have stopped listening to music on my phone altogether.
    Dealing with Xbox Music has been almost as frustrating as when I tried to install OS/2 on my IBM. When Xbox Music works I love it but it screws up so often! Currently it doesn't work on my 1520 and is very slow on the iPhone. Spotify's team can make an app that work perfectly on multiple platforms but Microsoft's team has had years, issued countless updates and the app still doesn't work right on their own platform. They can't even manage a live tile! I might be more forgiving if this was free but I pay for a service every month that I can't use on my phone.
    11-10-2014 10:21 PM
    iPhone's only advantage for me right now is its music player.

I always say this but once Microsoft gets it right in that department, there's no reason for me to switch to any platform.
    11-10-2014 10:24 PM
    I sincerely believe that MS doesn't care which phone OS you use as long as you use MS applications. There is not much incentive anymore to move to Windows Phone nor would it be too disruptive to leave for another OS. This is a good thing - unless you somehow have a hope that Windows Phone will ever gain significant market share.
    It will be interesting to see how that plays out. It's not inconceivable that some people will use great Windows apps on iOS and Android and down the road say "well, the apps are good, maybe I'll try their phone." It might be a better strategy than little to no mindshare, as is the case at the moment.
    11-10-2014 10:42 PM
    As far as music goes, being able to drag and drop music and video to and from my 1520 using only Windows Explorer is reason enough for me to stay with the Microsoft ecosystem. As others have mentioned above, I too can't stand iTunes and having to "sync" stuff. That and the multiple accounts and computers that really throw things off as someone also mentioned.
    For a music PLAYER on my 1520, Xbox music works fine, but MixRadio (Formerly Nokia MixRadio, formerly Nokia Music) is my favorite.

Other things that keep me a happy WP user

Glance screen
    Expandable micro SD card storage
    Dedicated camera/hardware shutter button
    Pureview camera tech (though I AM a bit jealous of the iPhone's high frame rate video recording for slow motion vids)
    Live tiles
    Customizable Start screen
    The ability to pin contacts to Start
    Nokia build quality
    Hardware specs (1520)
    Cortana (though she's expected to land on the other platforms, it wont be the same level of integration that we have here on WP with the hardware search button. Not even sure if the upcoming "Hey Cortana" feature included with the Denim firmware will work on the other platforms.. We'll see.
    I'm able to drag and drop music and videos through iTunes and have not once ever synced anything
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    11-10-2014 10:57 PM
    Strike Cortana off the list of Windows Phone advantages. Apparently Apple and Android will be getting her too.
    neo158 likes this.
    11-10-2014 11:13 PM

Yes, this is the current status quo.
    11-10-2014 11:35 PM
    Strike Cortana off the list of Windows Phone advantages. Apparently Apple and Android will be getting her too.
    Even if they don't get Cortana, Android and iOS have their own similar product. While Siri isn't as functional as Cortana, Google Now is overall at least equal. It lacks in some areas, but it's better in others.
    11-10-2014 11:40 PM
    It will be interesting to see how that plays out. It's not inconceivable that some people will use great Windows apps on iOS and Android and down the road say "well, the apps are good, maybe I'll try their phone." It might be a better strategy than little to no mindshare, as is the case at the moment.
    This is not the case with anyone that I know. They are happy to get MS apps and have zero desire, let alone incentive, to downgrade (their words, not mine) to Windows Phone.
    11-11-2014 12:23 AM
    Well, their are some feature but none of them is important.(more like gimmicky feature)

It's funny that WP have some advantages over Android and Android have some over WP.
    same with Android and iOS.
    But when we compare WP advantages over iOS.

Seriously I can't think one.
    Specially Major advantages(sure WP have File Manager, Bluetooth File transfer etc.. but not kind of deal breaker and UI is subjective matter)
    11-11-2014 12:58 AM

Yes, but it'll be well integrated with WP
    11-11-2014 01:56 AM
    This is not the case with anyone that I know. They are happy to get MS apps and have zero desire, let alone incentive, to downgrade (their words, not mine) to Windows Phone.
    Yeah, that's why I said "down the road." If I had a nickel for every time I have heard someone say "I got bored with ________ OS, so I switched to __________ phone" I'd be a serial slot machine player. Also, it is not necessarily a downgrade to Windows Phone, a conclusion that will probably be a much more common viewpoint when Windows 10 rolls out.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-11-2014 02:09 AM
    Once cortana is implemented in iOS, the only thing going for WP is the live tiles. (compared to iOS)
    11-11-2014 02:11 AM
    Other than all that, I like these things about WP:
    12. Files app(to hide images, videos etc)
    Sent from my dark knight 1320
    Hi, can you suggest a suitable app for the above purpose?

I recently switched over from a Nokia E6 to a Nokia Lumia 830 and currently struggling with finding apps. Thanks!
    11-11-2014 03:52 AM
    I'm able to drag and drop music and videos through iTunes and have not once ever synced anything
    To an iPhone? Must be something new since the last time I was using (iPhone 4s)
    11-11-2014 03:56 AM
    Hi, can you suggest a suitable app for the above purpose?

I recently switched over from a Nokia E6 to a Nokia Lumia 830 and currently struggling with finding apps. Thanks!
    Microsoft "Files" app

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...9-3526f54fc25e
    Laura Knotek and Guytronic like this.
    11-11-2014 03:57 AM
    I only wish that MS will not betray their loyal customers. I don't care if iPhones or Androids get everything that WP gets or they get it better, I'm here to stay with Windows no matter what. I just generally dislike how the Android OS looks and functions (add to that, Google) and absolutely hate iOS, no home screen, everything is just spat at you as soon as you unlock it. *shudder*

I only hope MS doesn't abandon WP, I have all the time in the world and I'm here to stay. The apps I require are here and they're great and feels unique. Only thing I need is a flagship and I think it'll be announced at MWC '15 or BUILD '15. I don't give two ****s about WP having a bad market share.
    alllies and Nakia Johnson1 like this.
    11-11-2014 04:04 AM
    Thanks but there isn't any option in Files App to hide images or videos. Or may be I'm missing something?
    11-11-2014 04:08 AM
    does people really think they will integrate Cortana on iOS and Android like it is on WP? LOL

wake up guys, those OS already has their own integrated personal voice assistant and MS would never make Cortana better on them, the point is not making it a substitute (that would anger Apple and Google) but giving a WP taste and having more user data to improve her!

i bet it won't be the full Cortana experience like we have on WP!
    11-11-2014 04:09 AM
    Strangely enough, anytime a thread about XBM Is posted people rush to defend it like its perfect

Dealing with Xbox Music has been almost as frustrating as when I tried to install OS/2 on my IBM. When Xbox Music works I love it but it screws up so often! Currently it doesn't work on my 1520 and is very slow on the iPhone. Spotify's team can make an app that work perfectly on multiple platforms but Microsoft's team has had years, issued countless updates and the app still doesn't work right on their own platform. They can't even manage a live tile! I might be more forgiving if this was free but I pay for a service every month that I can't use on my phone.
    11-11-2014 04:16 AM
237 1234 ...