12-29-2014 05:20 PM
237 ... 56789 ...
tools
    That may have possible. But WM had been around for a while. Maybe it was too layered and complex to "fix" with a UI reskin. It's hard to say. At my company we have several applications that are just too ****ed up to try and fix. We have to rewrite to move forward.

That being said, in hindsight, it might have been better for them to have just waited for the new kernel to release WP. It's not like they gained much ground with WP7.
    I agree. They should have made 6.5 a bit prettier & easier to use without a stylus and limped along with it a bit longer and skipped 7 entirely. The reduced functionality of 7 and the whole Lumia 900 the "phone beta test is over" but dead ended within months of its release fiasco never would have happened.
    11-13-2014 07:40 PM
    I agree. They should have made 6.5 a bit prettier & easier to use without a stylus and limped along with it a bit longer and skipped 7 entirely. The reduced functionality of 7 and the whole Lumia 900 the "phone beta test is over" but dead ended within months of its release fiasco never would have happened.

That, in a nutshell, was the HD2. No more stylus and the first real implementation of Sense.
    11-13-2014 08:52 PM
    Don't have to spend $749.99+ for the current model :)

As for the eco-system, I just like Windows Phone. I don't know why, I don't care anymore...it meets my needs, and I am content with it (for the most part). I am sure the iPhone could meet my needs too, but there are things about that just don't appeal to me (namely the price and how common it is in the wild).

That said, Microsoft should take a vertical view of Windows Phone, i.e. allocate enough resources to develop WP-specific product teams to build WP-exclusive apps, games and experiences. I am 100% fine with the productivity and enterprise services being cross-platform, fair, but on the consumer front WP needs its own arsenal. In other words, give WP compelling (and exclusive) game titles, multimedia apps, accessories, etc.
    edoug, neo158 and a5cent like this.
    11-13-2014 09:45 PM
    The HD2 was a very good phone although carrier exclusives prevented me from picking one up.
    11-14-2014 08:45 AM
    May be it is just a matter of preference and needs. At the moment i dont see anything that will make me switch to ios. There are somethings that are better in there but windows phone has almost everything i need. I get apps that i need. The user interface isn't boring as in ios, at least for me. If i was to switch to another platform it would be android. I am eagerly waiting for windows 10 hoping that it will improve the experience
    11-14-2014 08:59 AM
    The HD2 was a very good phone although carrier exclusives prevented me from picking one up.
    If you're in the US yes, T-Mo had that one all to themselves. But there was the International Version (T8585) that was unlocked.
    11-14-2014 09:42 AM
    From my opinion, you already set your heart on leaving WP to iPhone :)
    I believe you should do it..

There will be some adjusting to do (just like how I switched from Android to WP 6 months ago), but you won't make that many compromises considering the fact that iOS is a mature OS.

If you are a photographer, then you'll miss the camera on lumia. But if you're not, being honest, I don't think there will be anything else that you'll miss :)

I'll probably see you on the other side one day :p
    Yeah. I think I've made my decision. I won't switch until after the new year, but I'm fairly certain I will make the move to iPhone.
    There have been some really good discussion here on what could be perceived as Microsoft's mobile strategy. It certainly is an interesting time for the company.
    11-14-2014 10:55 AM
    Yeah. I think I've made my decision. I won't switch until after the new year, but I'm fairly certain I will make the move to iPhone.
    There have been some really good discussion here on what could be perceived as Microsoft's mobile strategy. It certainly is an interesting time for the company.
    FYI, you'll be switching right before all the new stuff happens with Windows 10. That's like quiting a company right before they skyrocket to success and everyone gets massive bonuses.

But if you want an iPhone, you want one. So go get it.
    11-14-2014 11:44 AM
    Don't have to spend $749.99+ for the current model :)

As for the eco-system, I just like Windows Phone. I don't know why, I don't care anymore...it meets my needs, and I am content with it (for the most part). I am sure the iPhone could meet my needs too, but there are things about that just don't appeal to me (namely the price and how common it is in the wild).

That said, Microsoft should take a vertical view of Windows Phone, i.e. allocate enough resources to develop WP-specific product teams to build WP-exclusive apps, games and experiences. I am 100% fine with the productivity and enterprise services being cross-platform, fair, but on the consumer front WP needs its own arsenal. In other words, give WP compelling (and exclusive) game titles, multimedia apps, accessories, etc.
    They don't have a dedicated WP team anymore. It's just a Windows team now. And WP won't exist by the end of next year.

Also, MS has changed it now where the teams are broken up by the service, not the platform. So those teams work unilaterally on their given service and make sure its consistent regardless of the platform.
    11-14-2014 11:48 AM
    FYI, you'll be switching right before all the new stuff happens with Windows 10. That's like quiting a company right before they skyrocket to success and everyone gets massive bonuses.

What new stuff?
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    11-14-2014 11:48 AM
    What new stuff?
    What do you mean what new stuff? Have you been paying attention to Microsoft news?
    11-14-2014 11:50 AM
    What do you mean what new stuff? Have you been paying attention to Microsoft news?
    Let's not answer questions with questions, I'm asking what new stuff?
    AngrySprintUser likes this.
    11-14-2014 11:51 AM

Please provide links to the new stuff you are referring to. That was the point of this thread -- to discuss what would be missed by leaving Windows Phone for another OS. From what I have gathered, you won't really miss anything because all of Microsoft's "stuff" is also available on other platforms.

Also, please share your insights into Windows Phone's skyrocketing success in 2015. This would help a lot of people who are contemplating leaving. Quoting you from a few posts up, you say: "WP won't exist by the end of next year." That doesn't sound much like WP success to me.

Thanks!
    neo158 and dgr_874 like this.
    11-14-2014 11:54 AM
    Let's not answer questions with questions, I'm asking what new stuff?
    Windows 10, the all new Office, etc. WP is getting completely replaced with Windows 10 which we be the same OS as Windows, just tweaked UI etc for ARM devices and screen sizes.

I think you need to just go read some articles and listen to Windows Weekly or something. I can't sit here and list all the articles that discuss what's shaping up for 2015.
    11-14-2014 11:55 AM
    Windows 10, the all new Office, etc. WP is getting completely replaced with Windows 10 which we be the same OS as Windows, just tweaked UI etc for ARM devices and screen sizes.

I think you need to just go read some articles and listen to Windows Weekly or something. I can't sit here and list all the articles that discuss what's shaping up for 2015.
    I read a lot of articles. Microsoft is moving the furniture around. Where's my new stuff?
    hidayat225 likes this.
    11-14-2014 11:57 AM
    Please provide links to the new stuff you are referring to. That was the point of this thread -- to discuss what would be missed by leaving Windows Phone for another OS. From what I have gathered, you won't really miss anything because all of Microsoft's "stuff" is also available on other platforms.

Also, please share your insights into Windows Phone's skyrocketing success in 2015. This would help a lot of people who are contemplating leaving.

Thanks!
    Ok, this is ridiculous. This website has already posted articles about what's happening with Windows 10. What it means for WP, the new Office Touch, etc.

The skyrocketing success I was comparing to is that WP will be replaced with Windows 10 which will be far more feature heavy, will share everything with Windows on desktop, etc.

We don't know all the details yet. But we know it will be substantial. If you guys want to bail right before that, that's fine. But I'm just saying it might be worth sticking it out a little bit longer to at least see what's coming when MS announces all the improvements and changes in January/February.
    11-14-2014 11:58 AM
    I read a lot of articles. Microsoft is moving the furniture around. Where's my new stuff?
    Moving furniture around? That's what you think this is? I can't help you then. If you don't understand what merging WP with Windows means, then I can't help you.
    11-14-2014 11:59 AM
    Moving furniture around? That's what you think this is? I can't help you then. If you don't understand what merging WP with Windows means, then I can't help you.
    I understand exactly what it means. But you're only talking about what's happening *at Microsoft* in 2015, and speculating about how successful it may or may not be *for Microsoft*. Speaking as a consumer, where is my new stuff?!
    neo158 likes this.
    11-14-2014 12:03 PM
    If you're in the US yes, T-Mo had that one all to themselves. But there was the International Version (T8585) that was unlocked.
    Too many issues going the unlocked route including price, no discount on your plan even if you didn't use a phone subsidy (then) , and no warranty support. Carrier exclusives and spec fiddling (ala the AT&T 1520) are still a problem for the Windows Phone fan. I don't see W10 changing this, but I'd love to see Microsoft release Nexus style phones removing carriers even further from the equation. Imagine if all the US folks coming off their 920 contracts could have walked in to a MS store or gone on line and purchased an 830, Icon/930, or a 1520 with all the correct bands for their carrier of choice, full warranty support, and knowledge that the carriers won't be able to block or delay updates! Although, Paul Thurrott mentioned that he believes the developer previews will begin to include firmware updates too so the previews may become a more complete carrier work around. That would be good news.
    11-14-2014 12:05 PM
    FYI, you'll be switching right before all the new stuff happens with Windows 10.
    Ha ha we've been getting "new stuff" for the last 3.5 years. I'll decide on my move after it's actually here and I can see it.
    neo158 and satrus08 like this.
    11-14-2014 12:06 PM
    I understand exactly what it means. But you're only talking about what's happening *at Microsoft* in 2015, and speculating about how successful it may or may not be *for Microsoft*. Speaking as a consumer, where is my new stuff?!
    Not here. So just leave.

All I'm saying is switching to iPhone in January is jumping the ship right before learning what advantages will come when MS merges WP with Windows 10. It's a really simple concept.

It could be that they completely strip Windows to put it on ARM and the phone version will suck.

Or it could be that like Windows RT is right now, Windows 10 will share a lot if not all the same features on x86 and ARM. Just have a tweaked UI.

If Windows 10 for ARM has half the features Windows 10 for desktop has, that will still blow iOS and Android out of the water.

That's my point. But clearly you need things spelled out for you. And I'm not here to do that. So let someone else answer that for you. Or you know, you could read articles on what features are on Windows RT currently. And think about those same features and more being on Windows 10/phone in 2015.
    11-14-2014 12:09 PM
    Ok, this is ridiculous. This website has already posted articles about what's happening with Windows 10. What it means for WP, the new Office Touch, etc.

The skyrocketing success I was comparing to is that WP will be replaced with Windows 10 which will be far more feature heavy, will share everything with Windows on desktop, etc.

We don't know all the details yet. But we know it will be substantial. If you guys want to bail right before that, that's fine. But I'm just saying it might be worth sticking it out a little bit longer to at least see what's coming when MS announces all the improvements and changes in January/February.
    I think you've strayed a bit off topic on this post. I never said that I was bailing on Microsoft and Windows. I'm fully entrenched into the ecosystem and plan to continue using MS products and services.

What people are starting to realize - and what Microsoft is just now beginning to articulate - is that you don't need to have Windows on your phone anymore to enjoy the Microsoft experience. They are making it very easy to get all of what Microsoft has to offer and much more if you move to a competing mobile platform. I'm as excited as the next guy about what's happening with Windows 10, but it's becoming less clear to me why I would need to have a version of Windows 10 on my phone. That was my initial question.
    neo158, neo158, satrus08 and 2 others like this.
    11-14-2014 12:11 PM
    Not here. So just leave.

All I'm saying is switching to iPhone in January is jumping the ship right before learning what advantages will come when MS merges WP with Windows 10. It's a really simple concept.

It could be that they completely strip Windows to put it on ARM and the phone version will suck.

Or it could be that like Windows RT is right now, Windows 10 will share a lot if not all the same features on x86 and ARM. Just have a tweaked UI.

If Windows 10 for ARM has half the features Windows 10 for desktop has, that will still blow iOS and Android out of the water.

That's my point. But clearly you need things spelled out for you. And I'm not here to do that. So let someone else answer that for you. Or you know, you could read articles on what features are on Windows RT currently. And think about those same features and more being on Windows 10/phone in 2015.
    Firstly, I have no intention of leaving Windows Phone.

Secondly, YOU stated there was "new stuff" on the horizon, on a public forum, and I merely replied "what new stuff?". You don't have to get so arsey about answering the bloody question.

I don't think you actually know what new stuff is coming. You see Microsoft moving the furniture around and the fanboy in you hopes it means Microsoft is somehow going to kick Apple's/Google's arse. But the truth is the Windows Phone consumer has nothing to look forward to but a hope and a dream and a long wait until Windows 10. And then after that, an even longer wait to see what this will actually produce for the average consumer.

So if you can't answer the question "what new stuff?" the ball is now in Microsoft's court.
    neo158 likes this.
    11-14-2014 12:18 PM

When Windows 8 dropped there were a number of articles and comments that predicted that the new Metro environment would blow up and that tons of developers would rush to it because it opened up the huge desktop market and that this would create a synergistic overflow to WP. That didn't happen. The Windows app store is a ghost town and depending on who you ask the WP app store is still struggling. Now, similar arguments are being made for Windows 10. While the arguments are stronger this time, I guess we will have to wait and see what happens. In the short term at least I see tablets benefiting more from W10 than phones.
    steve_w_7 and neo158 like this.
    11-14-2014 12:22 PM
    When Windows 8 dropped there were a number of articles and comments that predicted that the new Metro environment would blow up and that tons of developers would rush to it because it opened up the huge desktop market and that this would create a synergistic overflow to WP. That didn't happen. The Windows app store is a ghost town and depending on who you ask the WP app store is still struggling. Now, similar arguments are being made for Windows 10. While the arguments are stronger this time, I guess we will have to wait and see what happens. In the short term at least I see tablets benefiting more from W10 than phones.
    I'm not even talking about apps. I'm talking about straight up OS features.

Windows RT for Surface, etc. had almost all the same features Windows 8 has. Just can't install legacy apps and a few advanced features are removed.

They certainly can't remove features on tablets that had RT installed when they release Windows 10. And with Windows 10, RT and WP will be merged. So while nothing is guaranteed, it only seems logical that the "phone version" will have a drastic bump in features compared to WP. And probably compared to iOS and Android
    11-14-2014 12:36 PM
237 ... 56789 ...