What is the advantage anymore of WP over iPhone?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
What am I missing?

youll miss
"coming soon"
because Apple doesn't do that. they may be one or two years behind android, but when it's finished, its launched.

really though, I can't think of anything a jail broken iPhone can't do. get one used and try it a while. there is most definitely, an app for that

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm a serial "flipper" between devices and the one thing that WP has over any OS, OEM skin or 3rd party app is the keyboard and particularly the word prediction. The LG keyboard is very good with its dedicated number row but Android's predictive text simply blows. I'm not going to even mention iOS because comparing it to Android or WP would be a profound showing of disrespect.

Apps are nice to have but every app (not games) has some form of text input. If your kb sucks, it makes the app less desirable to use.

edoug

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Like the original article that suggested Cortana moving to other platforms was corrected to read, it's far more likely she referred to WINDOWS platforms than IOS or Android, that said it would still be a pale impersonation -especially on IOS. I don't think this is coming anytime soon.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm a serial "flipper" between devices and the one thing that WP has over any OS, OEM skin or 3rd party app is the keyboard and particularly the word prediction. The LG keyboard is very good with its dedicated number row but Android's predictive text simply blows. I'm not going to even mention iOS because comparing it to Android or WP would be a profound showing of disrespect.

Apps are nice to have but every app (not games) has some form of text input. If your kb sucks, it makes the app less desirable to use.

Well android allows install of 3rd party keyboards, and ios does now too. Its a good thing the windows stock keyboard is one of the best but the advantage goes away if a third party keyboard happens to be as good or better....

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I almost decided to order another iPhone 6 plus and drop windows phone but I stopped. I really wished I had more confidence in Microsoft to do right by this OS but I don't yet apple nor google really impress me much.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Like the original article that suggested Cortana moving to other platforms was corrected to read, it's far more likely she referred to WINDOWS platforms than IOS or Android, that said it would still be a pale impersonation -especially on IOS. I don't think this is coming anytime soon.

Hope you are correct, or this makes no sense at all.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I would try to claim that iPhone has a much bigger head start in order to perfect but I don't believe that. Rather than perfecting since WinMobile, MS instead has kept scrapping their mobile OS and starting all over again.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well android allows install of 3rd party keyboards, and ios does now too. Its a good thing the windows stock keyboard is one of the best but the advantage goes away if a third party keyboard happens to be as good or better....

Third party keyboards have been around for quite a few years now and they're still not even close. WP got it right from the very get go in 2010 and it has not been altered one bit since WP7. Throw in Microsoft's predictive text and it's not a fair fight. Even the harshest WP critics, and there are more than a few, agree it's the best text input out there. The Sense keyboard is very nice but it fails miserably at word prediction. You would think that someone would've come up with something better by now but it hasn't materialized.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Third party keyboards have been around for quite a few years now and they're still not even close. WP got it right from the very get go in 2010 and it has not been altered one bit since WP7. Throw in Microsoft's predictive text and it's not a fair fight. Even the harshest WP critics, and there are more than a few, agree it's the best text input out there. The Sense keyboard is very nice but it fails miserably at word prediction. You would think that someone would've come up with something better by now but it hasn't materialized.

The amazing keyboard of WP is what initially sold me on choosing WP over android back in 2010. NOTHING was even close back then. Most of my phone use is with the keyboard so it was a no brainer.

Now I just wish every app would come to WP. Like Square, SnapFish, Next door, and Verizon FiOS........;) and of course many others.....those are my main peeves.

ov103

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
You can use your iPhone without ever having to connect to iTunes. And if you have media that is not in the cloud, connecting you iPhone to iTunes to sync music is an extremely simple process, anyone who knows what a computer is, should be able to do it just fine. Connect, Click "iPhone", click "music", select what you want to sync, and click "Sync". That?s it.

Nevertheless, with streaming services and iTunes match, when I had an iPhone, I forgot I had iTunes on my computer.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Its not iPhones, its Apples eco system that is a problem. Most non tech people don't understand that once your sucked in, its hard to leave.

Look at Microsoft fitness band - works on WP, iOS and Android. Will iWatch do the same, no.

iMessage and icloud? Same again - OneDrive, OneNote works across all platforms.

Apples OS are designed to suck u in and make it hard to leave. Why do they do that?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

This argument would make sense if they weren't bringing out W10 in about 6 months. So they're going to release Cortana on W8 and Xbox One now? Why bother?

Let's not even talk about the issues of talking to your computer...

Last edited:

scotiez

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I was on iPhone for the past 3 years, I am now on windows 8.1. I loved my IPhone, I really did. For the most part it worked flawlessly. But when I had trouble with it was with ITunes. I have music in my old Zune folder before I had an iPhone. Then I hooked up to ITunes. I had to import each song, or folder into iTunes, and that became a mess. Spent hours fixing my music. Then every once in a while when I plugged it in to charge and sync it would mess up all my music again. It would create duplicates, or just wouldn't play my music, especially my zune music. This was the main reason I switched over to windows phone. My music has been flawless ever since the switch,
But after switching I realized how nice my phone synced with my home computer and laptop. Word documents, OneNote, Calendar, email and I could go on and on. My IPhone never worked this well with my computer, Maybe if I had a mac but I don't I have a desktop and laptop that run windows 8.1, No wonder my windows phone works so well with my home computer's. I am anxious to see what windows 10 brings. I think it will only get better and hopefully that will be the software that will make people wake up and quit bashing windows phone. Its a great OS. I think People who bash it hasn't really given it a chance.

edoug

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
If not now, when?

There really is not reason NOT to release these features now if they're ready to go unless there was another near-term event to bundle them into to make a bigger splash, but since MS seems to be enjoying more frequent small announcements it would make sense to act sooner than later.

Cortana's design means the more she has access to now, the better she can become. The sooner, the better.

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
"...but Microsoft always seems to get their priorities wrong."
What?!
So, they release their software and concentrate on the market that is close to a billion users rather than on the market that has less than 40 million. I would say they got their priorities spot on!
You are speaking from a user's perspective. If you own a business you will know how ridiculous that sounds. Microsoft is not making much, if any, from hardware. Phone sales is not a huge factor for them. Their core business is software. Restricting that software to WP users just so they can have bragging rights would be beyond stupid.
But, if you keep it on WP devices that would be a reason to switch. Nope. They tried that. It didn't work. Sooner or later they gotta stop being fanboys and be a business.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
"...but Microsoft always seems to get their priorities wrong."
What?!
So, they release their software and concentrate on the market that is close to a billion users rather than on the market that has less than 40 million. I would say they got their priorities spot on!
You are speaking from a user's perspective. If you own a business you will know how ridiculous that sounds. Microsoft is not making much, if any, from hardware. Phone sales is not a huge factor for them. Their core business is software. Restricting that software to WP users just so they can have bragging rights would be beyond stupid.
But, if you keep it on WP devices that would be a reason to switch. Nope. They tried that. It didn't work. Sooner or later they gotta stop being fanboys and be a business.

100% agreed.

I'm a huge WP fan. But I'm not blind, I understand MS needs to address the majority market first. It's just smart business.

I'd rather see WP get shorted occasionally, and MS's other services expand successfully than to see WP get things first, and all their other services fall short or lose traction because they remained "unique" to WP.