What is the advantage anymore of WP over iPhone?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't agree, but your opinion is just as valid as mine.

Assuming that your opinion is correct, what was Microsoft doing from 2007 - 2010? Why did they keep developing Windows Mobile? Google supposedly started over completely and had something ready in a year or less. There are video clips on YouTube of Steve Ballmer laughing at the iPhone and Android, which I suppose indicates that Microsoft thought they had a winner with WM, but soon discovered that consumers thought otherwise.

And wasn't WP7 basically WM with a new UI? I thought that they used the same kernel, hence the change with WP8.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Microsoft was working on WP7 for at least two years before it was released from what I heard. And WP7 was a complete rewrite that shared nothing with WM except the kernel which a very small but critical foundation piece. But the whole App environment, the UI, the features, the overall architecture of the OS was completely new and different than WM.

That was not the with WP7-WP8. While I believe parts of the OS and some of the app environment were rewritten or different than WP7, WP8 was mostly the same OS, same UI, with just a different kernel. But the different kernel was what made upgrading WP7 to 8 too complicated to push out reliable. Hence the second "reset."

Google changed Android but not as drastically. Android had been in the works for a little while. And don't forget when Android was first release, it was an absolute piece of sh!t. It took well over a year after release before it started shaping up. Plus the main drive for it came from Verizon and the Droid campaign. Keep in mind iPhone wasn't available on Verizon for several years. So Android filled a huge void for the carrier.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
The previous 10 years don't mean anything. That's exactly what I'm saying. All the methods and concepts implemented before the iPhone were made irrelevant and obsolete. The iPhone completely changed what it meant to have a PC as a phone, or smartphone.

At the point, every company who had been in that mobile market for the previous 5-10 years needed to start from scratch. The systems they had built up were truly not even close to matching the iPhone or even adaptable.

That's my point. Every company had to start from scratch after the iPhone was launched. Throwing away all their previous experience. It's why Android was completely changed, it's why BlackBerry finally came out with their overhaul a couple years ago. It's why Palm OS and others essentially washed out, etc.

Should Microsoft have responded quicker to the iPhone? Yes. Was the 10 years of experience they had before WP7 relevant and applicable to their new OS? No, not at all.

If you don't count Symbian. It still kicked everyone else's *** at the time (including apple) in functionality and ability. The difference is apple made things approachable for the completely computer illiterate and those who didn't want to learn anything other than click to download.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I do agree that going away from the hub idea and overall OS integration was a mistake. That was a main difference between the two OS.
Not at all. I like the hubs. But for windows to quickly improve their platform their was no other choice but to free themselves from the carrier update approval cycle she it came to music and such. I would like to see them back I wp10 but it was a nessesary change for Ms to move forward rapidly.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one a bit. Yes, Microsoft was slow in responding to the game changer that was the iPhone, no argument there. When the HD2 was released it showed what WinMo could be on a device with a modicum of RAM and a capacitive screen. WP7 was still WinCE-based and as such, had the "heart and soul" of WinMo in a fluid, eye-pleasing and refreshing OS. MS effed the pooch by stripping all the functionality of WinMo and setting it back a decade. The original 2G iPhone had no MMS, no cut-n-paste and no tethering among other things. Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, thought this was a good idea and reverted to that as well. At least WP7 had MMS. Remember all the "wah wah" (I love that) from WP7 users for not having the same features they enjoyed on WinMo? It wasn't until Mango that we got internet sharing and cut-n-paste back. It wasn't until 8.1 and Update 1 that we got file managers and BT PAN tethering back, respectively. I know I'm in the minority that thinks that WP7 was better at scrolling, much more fluid and faster with most tasks in spite of single-core processors and low RAM. So to say that MS was justified in scrapping their past experience is mistaken, IN MY OPINION.

I understand that WP7 could not be sustained going forward with the hardware limitations of the newer high-res screens, LTE demands, etc. But I can't help but think which was a bigger mistake, WP7 and its crippled functionality or failing to upgrade WinMo until the NT kernel-based WP8 was ready? WinMo had a ton of apps at the time 6.5 was deep sixed and could have held down the fort sufficiently until WP8 was ready. With shells like SPB around, I'm sure a modern-looking UI wrapper could have been hashed out to compete with Android and iOS during that time. Maybe I just miss all the extraordinary things WinMo could do that the others couldn't at the time. Whatever, I'm ready for some flaming.

That may have possible. But WM had been around for a while. Maybe it was too layered and complex to "fix" with a UI reskin. It's hard to say. At my company we have several applications that are just too ****ed up to try and fix. We have to rewrite to move forward.

That being said, in hindsight, it might have been better for them to have just waited for the new kernel to release WP. It's not like they gained much ground with WP7.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
If you don't count Symbian. It still kicked everyone else's *** at the time (including apple) in functionality and ability. The difference is apple made things approachable for the completely computer illiterate and those who didn't want to learn anything other than click to download.

But that's kind of the whole point. The reason why the iPhone flipped the whole market upside down was not because it had a million cool features no one else had. It's because it was so easy and "fun" to use.

iOS was brilliant at the time. My friends bough an iPhone when it first came out, they took it to Europe when we studied abroad that year. And everyone just loved it and gawked over it. It literally lit peoples faces up and got them interested in a smart handheld.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
But that's kind of the whole point. The reason why the iPhone flipped the whole market upside down was not because it had a million cool features no one else had. It's because it was so easy and "fun" to use.

iOS was brilliant at the time. My friends bough an iPhone when it first came out, they took it to Europe when we studied abroad that year. And everyone just loved it and gawked over it. It literally lit peoples faces up and got them interested in a smart handheld.
As a business decision it was a very good choice. But not every one is a fan of stupifying ever os. With doing so you lose a great amount of functionality for those who know how to use it or are willing to learn.

zeemo71

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok some people who replied have good points, others not so much.
The main reason why you should stick with WP is windows 10.

There are two key points to the upcoming OS that make it stand out. One is that it is basically a mix between 7 and 8 with its windows and start button, etc.

The point thats more important at the moment is that they're going for the same OS for all platforms. Rather that be xbox, WP, desktop, or tablet.
So if you have a 4 inch screen device or and 80 inch tv with a pc it is the same OS. They wanted to bridge the gap thats been slowing wedging itself in it's customers. I.e. Windows 7 vs 8 (My uncle likes 7 and doesnt want to upgrade, I have 8.1 and I can't stand the older os anymore)

Its going to bring a new dimension to the windows ecosystem, that frankly should have been implemented ages ago, or rather better.
That is all.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Example I love, in a keynote address the late apple CEO when asked why the mouse for apple computers only had one button while windows had two and was going to three answered, we don't want to confuse our users. Really!

andrygun

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Tom Warren wrote a great article on this very subject on The Verge today. Microsoft?s Android and iOS focus leaves Windows users in the cold | The Verge

Here is a snippet:

"Microsoft is sending a clear message that it wants to reach consumers on popular mobile platforms. That’s an understandable move, but with a lack of a true Windows Phone flagship this holiday and hints that unique features like Cortana will make their way to Android and iOS, it leaves Windows Phone in an odd spot. If all of Microsoft’s core apps and services work better on Android and iOS, it makes Windows Phone a lot less appealing. If Microsoft can’t even make good apps for Windows, there's not a lot of hope left for third-party app developers to build for Microsoft’s mobile platform. Couple that with the Windows tablet and phone app gap, and the future looks increasingly bleak. Appealing to Android and iOS users might be Microsoft's goal, but there's only so long Windows users will remain loyal."

I couldn't agree more.

From my opinion, you already set your heart on leaving WP to iPhone :)
I believe you should do it..

There will be some adjusting to do (just like how I switched from Android to WP 6 months ago), but you won't make that many compromises considering the fact that iOS is a mature OS.

If you are a photographer, then you'll miss the camera on lumia. But if you're not, being honest, I don't think there will be anything else that you'll miss :)

I'll probably see you on the other side one day :p

Last edited:

Silence#WP

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
That may have possible. But WM had been around for a while. Maybe it was too layered and complex to "fix" with a UI reskin. It's hard to say. At my company we have several applications that are just too ****ed up to try and fix. We have to rewrite to move forward.

That being said, in hindsight, it might have been better for them to have just waited for the new kernel to release WP. It's not like they gained much ground with WP7.

I agree. They should have made 6.5 a bit prettier & easier to use without a stylus and limped along with it a bit longer and skipped 7 entirely. The reduced functionality of 7 and the whole Lumia 900 the "phone beta test is over" but dead ended within months of its release fiasco never would have happened.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree. They should have made 6.5 a bit prettier & easier to use without a stylus and limped along with it a bit longer and skipped 7 entirely. The reduced functionality of 7 and the whole Lumia 900 the "phone beta test is over" but dead ended within months of its release fiasco never would have happened.

That, in a nutshell, was the HD2. No more stylus and the first real implementation of Sense.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Don't have to spend $749.99+ for the current model :)

As for the eco-system, I just like Windows Phone. I don't know why, I don't care anymore...it meets my needs, and I am content with it (for the most part). I am sure the iPhone could meet my needs too, but there are things about that just don't appeal to me (namely the price and how common it is in the wild).

That said, Microsoft should take a vertical view of Windows Phone, i.e. allocate enough resources to develop WP-specific product teams to build WP-exclusive apps, games and experiences. I am 100% fine with the productivity and enterprise services being cross-platform, fair, but on the consumer front WP needs its own arsenal. In other words, give WP compelling (and exclusive) game titles, multimedia apps, accessories, etc.

mdau

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
May be it is just a matter of preference and needs. At the moment i dont see anything that will make me switch to ios. There are somethings that are better in there but windows phone has almost everything i need. I get apps that i need. The user interface isn't boring as in ios, at least for me. If i was to switch to another platform it would be android. I am eagerly waiting for windows 10 hoping that it will improve the experience

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
From my opinion, you already set your heart on leaving WP to iPhone :)
I believe you should do it..

There will be some adjusting to do (just like how I switched from Android to WP 6 months ago), but you won't make that many compromises considering the fact that iOS is a mature OS.

If you are a photographer, then you'll miss the camera on lumia. But if you're not, being honest, I don't think there will be anything else that you'll miss :)

I'll probably see you on the other side one day :p

Yeah. I think I've made my decision. I won't switch until after the new year, but I'm fairly certain I will make the move to iPhone.
There have been some really good discussion here on what could be perceived as Microsoft's mobile strategy. It certainly is an interesting time for the company.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I think I've made my decision. I won't switch until after the new year, but I'm fairly certain I will make the move to iPhone.
There have been some really good discussion here on what could be perceived as Microsoft's mobile strategy. It certainly is an interesting time for the company.

FYI, you'll be switching right before all the new stuff happens with Windows 10. That's like quiting a company right before they skyrocket to success and everyone gets massive bonuses.

But if you want an iPhone, you want one. So go get it.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Don't have to spend $749.99+ for the current model :)

As for the eco-system, I just like Windows Phone. I don't know why, I don't care anymore...it meets my needs, and I am content with it (for the most part). I am sure the iPhone could meet my needs too, but there are things about that just don't appeal to me (namely the price and how common it is in the wild).

That said, Microsoft should take a vertical view of Windows Phone, i.e. allocate enough resources to develop WP-specific product teams to build WP-exclusive apps, games and experiences. I am 100% fine with the productivity and enterprise services being cross-platform, fair, but on the consumer front WP needs its own arsenal. In other words, give WP compelling (and exclusive) game titles, multimedia apps, accessories, etc.

They don't have a dedicated WP team anymore. It's just a Windows team now. And WP won't exist by the end of next year.

Also, MS has changed it now where the teams are broken up by the service, not the platform. So those teams work unilaterally on their given service and make sure its consistent regardless of the platform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05