What is the advantage anymore of WP over iPhone?

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
FYI, you'll be switching right before all the new stuff happens with Windows 10. That's like quiting a company right before they skyrocket to success and everyone gets massive bonuses.

But if you want an iPhone, you want one. So go get it.

Please provide links to the new stuff you are referring to. That was the point of this thread -- to discuss what would be missed by leaving Windows Phone for another OS. From what I have gathered, you won't really miss anything because all of Microsoft's "stuff" is also available on other platforms.

Also, please share your insights into Windows Phone's skyrocketing success in 2015. This would help a lot of people who are contemplating leaving. Quoting you from a few posts up, you say: "WP won't exist by the end of next year." That doesn't sound much like WP success to me.

Thanks!

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Let's not answer questions with questions, I'm asking what new stuff?

Windows 10, the all new Office, etc. WP is getting completely replaced with Windows 10 which we be the same OS as Windows, just tweaked UI etc for ARM devices and screen sizes.

I think you need to just go read some articles and listen to Windows Weekly or something. I can't sit here and list all the articles that discuss what's shaping up for 2015.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10, the all new Office, etc. WP is getting completely replaced with Windows 10 which we be the same OS as Windows, just tweaked UI etc for ARM devices and screen sizes.

I think you need to just go read some articles and listen to Windows Weekly or something. I can't sit here and list all the articles that discuss what's shaping up for 2015.

I read a lot of articles. Microsoft is moving the furniture around. Where's my new stuff?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Please provide links to the new stuff you are referring to. That was the point of this thread -- to discuss what would be missed by leaving Windows Phone for another OS. From what I have gathered, you won't really miss anything because all of Microsoft's "stuff" is also available on other platforms.

Also, please share your insights into Windows Phone's skyrocketing success in 2015. This would help a lot of people who are contemplating leaving.

Thanks!

Ok, this is ridiculous. This website has already posted articles about what's happening with Windows 10. What it means for WP, the new Office Touch, etc.

The skyrocketing success I was comparing to is that WP will be replaced with Windows 10 which will be far more feature heavy, will share everything with Windows on desktop, etc.

We don't know all the details yet. But we know it will be substantial. If you guys want to bail right before that, that's fine. But I'm just saying it might be worth sticking it out a little bit longer to at least see what's coming when MS announces all the improvements and changes in January/February.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Moving furniture around? That's what you think this is? I can't help you then. If you don't understand what merging WP with Windows means, then I can't help you.

I understand exactly what it means. But you're only talking about what's happening *at Microsoft* in 2015, and speculating about how successful it may or may not be *for Microsoft*. Speaking as a consumer, where is my new stuff?!

Silence#WP

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
If you're in the US yes, T-Mo had that one all to themselves. But there was the International Version (T8585) that was unlocked.

Too many issues going the unlocked route including price, no discount on your plan even if you didn't use a phone subsidy (then) , and no warranty support. Carrier exclusives and spec fiddling (ala the AT&T 1520) are still a problem for the Windows Phone fan. I don't see W10 changing this, but I'd love to see Microsoft release Nexus style phones removing carriers even further from the equation. Imagine if all the US folks coming off their 920 contracts could have walked in to a MS store or gone on line and purchased an 830, Icon/930, or a 1520 with all the correct bands for their carrier of choice, full warranty support, and knowledge that the carriers won't be able to block or delay updates! Although, Paul Thurrott mentioned that he believes the developer previews will begin to include firmware updates too so the previews may become a more complete carrier work around. That would be good news.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I understand exactly what it means. But you're only talking about what's happening *at Microsoft* in 2015, and speculating about how successful it may or may not be *for Microsoft*. Speaking as a consumer, where is my new stuff?!

Not here. So just leave.

All I'm saying is switching to iPhone in January is jumping the ship right before learning what advantages will come when MS merges WP with Windows 10. It's a really simple concept.

It could be that they completely strip Windows to put it on ARM and the phone version will suck.

Or it could be that like Windows RT is right now, Windows 10 will share a lot if not all the same features on x86 and ARM. Just have a tweaked UI.

If Windows 10 for ARM has half the features Windows 10 for desktop has, that will still blow iOS and Android out of the water.

That's my point. But clearly you need things spelled out for you. And I'm not here to do that. So let someone else answer that for you. Or you know, you could read articles on what features are on Windows RT currently. And think about those same features and more being on Windows 10/phone in 2015.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok, this is ridiculous. This website has already posted articles about what's happening with Windows 10. What it means for WP, the new Office Touch, etc.

The skyrocketing success I was comparing to is that WP will be replaced with Windows 10 which will be far more feature heavy, will share everything with Windows on desktop, etc.

We don't know all the details yet. But we know it will be substantial. If you guys want to bail right before that, that's fine. But I'm just saying it might be worth sticking it out a little bit longer to at least see what's coming when MS announces all the improvements and changes in January/February.

I think you've strayed a bit off topic on this post. I never said that I was bailing on Microsoft and Windows. I'm fully entrenched into the ecosystem and plan to continue using MS products and services.

What people are starting to realize - and what Microsoft is just now beginning to articulate - is that you don't need to have Windows on your phone anymore to enjoy the Microsoft experience. They are making it very easy to get all of what Microsoft has to offer and much more if you move to a competing mobile platform. I'm as excited as the next guy about what's happening with Windows 10, but it's becoming less clear to me why I would need to have a version of Windows 10 on my phone. That was my initial question.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Not here. So just leave.

All I'm saying is switching to iPhone in January is jumping the ship right before learning what advantages will come when MS merges WP with Windows 10. It's a really simple concept.

It could be that they completely strip Windows to put it on ARM and the phone version will suck.

Or it could be that like Windows RT is right now, Windows 10 will share a lot if not all the same features on x86 and ARM. Just have a tweaked UI.

If Windows 10 for ARM has half the features Windows 10 for desktop has, that will still blow iOS and Android out of the water.

That's my point. But clearly you need things spelled out for you. And I'm not here to do that. So let someone else answer that for you. Or you know, you could read articles on what features are on Windows RT currently. And think about those same features and more being on Windows 10/phone in 2015.

Firstly, I have no intention of leaving Windows Phone.

Secondly, YOU stated there was "new stuff" on the horizon, on a public forum, and I merely replied "what new stuff?". You don't have to get so arsey about answering the bloody question.

I don't think you actually know what new stuff is coming. You see Microsoft moving the furniture around and the ****** in you hopes it means Microsoft is somehow going to kick Apple's/Google's arse. But the truth is the Windows Phone consumer has nothing to look forward to but a hope and a dream and a long wait until Windows 10. And then after that, an even longer wait to see what this will actually produce for the average consumer.

So if you can't answer the question "what new stuff?" the ball is now in Microsoft's court.

Silence#WP

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site

When Windows 8 dropped there were a number of articles and comments that predicted that the new Metro environment would blow up and that tons of developers would rush to it because it opened up the huge desktop market and that this would create a synergistic overflow to WP. That didn't happen. The Windows app store is a ghost town and depending on who you ask the WP app store is still struggling. Now, similar arguments are being made for Windows 10. While the arguments are stronger this time, I guess we will have to wait and see what happens. In the short term at least I see tablets benefiting more from W10 than phones.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
When Windows 8 dropped there were a number of articles and comments that predicted that the new Metro environment would blow up and that tons of developers would rush to it because it opened up the huge desktop market and that this would create a synergistic overflow to WP. That didn't happen. The Windows app store is a ghost town and depending on who you ask the WP app store is still struggling. Now, similar arguments are being made for Windows 10. While the arguments are stronger this time, I guess we will have to wait and see what happens. In the short term at least I see tablets benefiting more from W10 than phones.

I'm not even talking about apps. I'm talking about straight up OS features.

Windows RT for Surface, etc. had almost all the same features Windows 8 has. Just can't install legacy apps and a few advanced features are removed.

They certainly can't remove features on tablets that had RT installed when they release Windows 10. And with Windows 10, RT and WP will be merged. So while nothing is guaranteed, it only seems logical that the "phone version" will have a drastic bump in features compared to WP. And probably compared to iOS and Android

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Firstly, I have no intention of leaving Windows Phone.

Secondly, YOU stated there was "new stuff" on the horizon, on a public forum, and I merely replied "what new stuff?". You don't have to get so arsey about answering the bloody question.

I don't think you actually know what new stuff is coming. You see Microsoft moving the furniture around and the ****** in you hopes it means Microsoft is somehow going to kick Apple's/Google's arse. But the truth is the Windows Phone consumer has nothing to look forward to but a hope and a dream and a long wait until Windows 10. And then after that, an even longer wait to see what this will actually produce for the average consumer.

So if you can't answer the question "what new stuff?" the ball is now in Microsoft's court.

OMG.

You took my post which was a response to another post (not the original question of the thread) and asked me to extrapolate new stuff. Even though it was pretty clear I was talking about things to come.

No one knows exactly what new stuff will be here with Windows 10 for ARM. And it won't be until they announce it in January/February as Joe said, that we'll have any definitive idea.

But based on what I just stated above about the merge of RT and WP, you could certainly extrapolate features based on what exists in RT right now.

So quit asking the "what new stuff?" questions. No one knows, and no one here is claiming to know.

Once again, the whole point of my reply that you quoted was that that guy was planning to switch to iOS right before we'll be learning what new stuff is coming. I can't say it any clearer, so I'm done discussing this with you.

Silence#WP

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm not even talking about apps. I'm talking about straight up OS features.

Windows RT for Surface, etc. had almost all the same features Windows 8 has. Just can't install legacy apps and a few advanced features are removed.

They certainly can't remove features on tablets that had RT installed when they release Windows 10. And with Windows 10, RT and WP will be merged. So while nothing is guaranteed, it only seems logical that the "phone version" will have a drastic bump in features compared to WP. And probably compared to iOS and Android

Most of what I've read about W10 with regard to phones has been concerning universal apps because that is about the only thing MS has put out regarding W10 on phones. Besides, what RT features need to come to WP? Over all WP is IMO more polished than RT. W10 will certainly bring some new features for the phone environment, but the true "killer" feature it brings, again IMO, is the universal app environment.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Most of what I've read about W10 with regard to phones has been concerning universal apps because that is about the only thing MS has put out regarding W10 on phones. Besides, what RT features need to come to WP? Over all WP is IMO more polished than RT. W10 will certainly bring some new features for the phone environment, but the true "killer" feature it brings, again IMO, is the universal app environment.

The universal app environment already exists. It's just more complete in Windows 10.

As for features, yes WP is more polished than RT in regards to UI. But from a feature standpoint, RT has a lot more than WP.

Everyone complains about features in iOS and Android that don't exist in WP. I think it's pretty clear that W10 should close that gap and maybe surpass it. At least theoretically. But MS could be stupid and just randomly strip out features.

But that's what I'm referring to when I say "new stuff."

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
OMG.

You took my post which was a response to another post (not the original question of the thread) and asked me to extrapolate new stuff. Even though it was pretty clear I was talking about things to come.

No one knows exactly what new stuff will be here with Windows 10 for ARM. And it won't be until they announce it in January/February as Joe said, that we'll have any definitive idea.

But based on what I just stated above about the merge of RT and WP, you could certainly extrapolate features based on what exists in RT right now.

So quit asking the "what new stuff?" questions. No one knows, and no one here is claiming to know.

Once again, the whole point of my reply that you quoted was that that guy was planning to switch to iOS right before we'll be learning what new stuff is coming. I can't say it any clearer, so I'm done discussing this with you.

This is one of the most hilarious reactions I've ever seen in a forum. The thread asks what advantages there are over rival platforms. One guy said he might leave. You replied - to paraphrase - "don't switch yet, new stuff is coming!". I simply asked "what new stuff?" which is a response you might expect from a fellow Windows Phone fan on a forum designed to discuss such matters, and you've responded by getting all defensive about it, and telling me to read more articles on the matter, which have obviously taught you nothing as your answer to the question "what new stuff?" is still "I don't know"!

Just be honest from the start; we can only speculate about what Microsoft might accomplish in 2015, and what this might mean for users of their devices. The real question isn't really "what are the advantages on Windows Phone?", but "WHEN are the advantages on Windows Phone?". The answer? 2015. Maybe. Wait and see. And Microsoft will probably pass them on to Android and iOS too.

If your Lumia/Windows phone isn't doing what you want it to do, and doing it right now, then yes, you should switch to another platform and enjoy it.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the most hilarious reactions I've ever seen in a forum. The thread asks what advantages there are over rival platforms. One guy said he might leave. You replied - to paraphrase - "don't switch yet, new stuff is coming!". I simply asked "what new stuff?" which is a response you might expect from a fellow Windows Phone fan on a forum designed to discuss such matters, and you've responded by getting all defensive about it, and telling me to read more articles on the matter, which have obviously taught you nothing as your answer to the question "what new stuff?" is still "I don't know"!

Just be honest from the start; we can only speculate about what Microsoft might accomplish in 2015, and what this might mean for users of their devices. The real question isn't really "what are the advantages on Windows Phone?", but "WHEN are the advantages on Windows Phone?". The answer? 2015. Maybe. Wait and see. And Microsoft will probably pass them on to Android and iOS too.

If your Lumia/Windows phone isn't doing what you want it to do, and doing it right now, then yes, you should switch to another platform and enjoy it.

I wasn't responding to the entire thread. I was simply making a point in reference to the time frame that individual was planning to switch to iOS. I made a very simple point that he was planning on leaving right when we'd learn what advantages would be coming and might make it worth staying on the platform for.

You are the one that kept riding my *** expecting me to extrapolate and deliver something no one knows. And try to answer for this whole thread which has already veered off from it's original course.

As far as current advantages, I could list plenty. But they are all subjective. And clearly if people think that Office on iOS means the advantages of WP have vanished now, then they don't value the things I do. So what's the point of discussing them?

I have an iPhone. I hate it. So my list of "advantages" would clearly be biased and probably irrelevant for the people asking this question.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro