What is the advantage anymore of WP over iPhone?

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
It's not inconceivable that some people will use great Windows apps on iOS and Android and down the road say "well, the apps are good, maybe I'll try their phone."

While this is a nice thought, it doesn't resemble what takes place in the real world.

I have a gmail account and I am constantly using YouTube and other Google owned services. All I care about is that I can use them on my Windows Phone. I have never once considered switching to Android because I enjoy their apps/services. Availability and a good experience on your phone of choice does more to keep you satisfied with what you have, than to cause you to wander.

I find it interesting that I currently don't use any Apple apps or services on my Windows Phone, yet that is the phone that I am considering switching over to.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Ah, so I'm an iFan now, way to go on jumping to conclusions there without any proof. All of your answers focus completely on the Microsoft Lumia and NOT Windows Phone in general, therefore my original answers still stand!!!!
They apply in general to all WP. I'm just taking Lumia as an example s it is the most popular brand associated with WP. Did you even read my post?

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
i just thought of another advantage
apple india's official reseller maple is pathetic and unhelpful
i went there twice for manufacturing defects for week old devices and they asked me to pay up $600 and return the product and take home a refurb product instead
another time they said i was charging my ipad overnight and thats why the charger stopped working and refused to replace
Nokia on the other hand is a better OEM,they replaced my grandads 8 month old Lumia 720 and gave him a brand new one,no questions asked when the digitizer started acting all funny at random and we werent able to even show them proof but its the sheer trust and excellent service which helped

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
i just thought of another advantage
apple india's official reseller maple is pathetic and unhelpful
i went there twice for manufacturing defects for week old devices and they asked me to pay up $600 and return the product and take home a refurb product instead
another time they said i was charging my ipad overnight and thats why the charger stopped working and refused to replace
Nokia on the other hand is a better OEM,they replaced my grandads 8 month old Lumia 720 and gave him a brand new one,no questions asked when the digitizer started acting all funny at random and we werent able to even show them proof but its the sheer trust and excellent service which helped

I agree with you. One of my friend broke his brand new N90, he dropped it from 4th floor, he still got a new one. Another friend who owned an x3, he dropped his phone from 3rd floor, his phone didn't break, but sim card wasn't supported, he got a new one from Nokia care centre. Nokia has always provided better services & always lives upto people's expectations.
Apple doesn't provide services here & it would never consider giving services to a developing country, so why should we care to buy apple's costly products?

andrygun

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
While this is a nice thought, it doesn't resemble what takes place in the real world.

I have a gmail account and I am constantly using YouTube and other Google owned services. All I care about is that I can use them on my Windows Phone. I have never once considered switching to Android because I enjoy their apps/services. Availability and a good experience on your phone of choice does more to keep you satisfied with what you have, than to cause you to wander.

I find it interesting that I currently don't use any Apple apps or services on my Windows Phone, yet that is the phone that I am considering switching over to.

As you can see, people opinion differs on this. Some people are really biased towards one OS, some display hatred and some are adventurous to try other stuffs.

U are a WP user from the beginning and have started falling for iphone. If u have the budget and apple service is good in ur country (im from australia and apple customer service is really good), then go for it. You never know if it might be the more suitable OS for you. Even if it didnt work out, at least then you know which one is better for you 😉

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I am enjoying more WP now with the developer preview than before. With the DP you can experience the latest and greatest for WP. I will never switch to another platform, I am really loving it.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I am enjoying more WP now with the developer preview than before. With the DP you can experience the latest and greatest for WP. I will never switch to another platform, I am really loving it.

Even I won't switch to other platform now. As soon as my phones warranty is over, I'll start downloading DP.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
It does, in some of the carriers it doesn't, but here in my country downloading dp would void my warranty

If something we're to happen to your device and you wanted to take it to claim warranty you could simply opt out of developer preview.

Pretty sure they won't have "much" proof that you tried dev preview after you unlist.

Haha don't worry too much about it. It's awesome to try out early builds of new softwares.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
If something we're to happen to your device and you wanted to take it to claim warranty you could simply opt out of developer preview.

Pretty sure they won't have "much" proof that you tried dev preview after you unlist.

Haha don't worry too much about it. It's awesome to try out early builds of new softwares.

They could know that if they see that the build installed is newer than the retail version... Downgrade to retail build seems the only safe option.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
i would avoid DP for two reasons on a main phone- bugs and battery life
if you have a 2nd phone lying around,its awesome to use DP and see newer features first

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
i would avoid DP for two reasons on a main phone- bugs and battery life
if you have a 2nd phone lying around,its awesome to use DP and see newer features first

According to me if you download dp, you won't enjoy the official update much, so dp isn't for me. I love official updates rather than being too desperate to try out new features.

grandmaster1618

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I can't say what you will miss if u switch from WP to iPhone but I can say we will miss you 😜.
IPhone 6 is good. You will not miss anything.. The camera is good. Battery is okay. Has all the apps you will need. You may get Cortana also if recent reports are to be believed.
If I could I would ask you to wait until late next year.. Enough time for apple to come up with a better smartwatch/smartphone pair and windows 10 for phones will be out.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Anyways I forgot to answer OP's question.

You'll not miss much, but your gains may be significant. For one thing iOS isn't just icons now, it has pretty nice widgets. Which IMO are more functional than live tiles.

The camera is amazing, but audio capture may not be as good as your 925. The shot taking and processing is top notch however and video quality and focus is great.

The lock screen notifications and notifications in general, the continuity with Mac and iPad may also greatly benefit you.

You'll also get an awesome fingerprint detector.

And Microsoft's own applications and services are often much better on iOS than they are on Windows Phone.

Then the fluidity and performance will straight out beat any Windows Phone and the gaming experience will be better because of better graphics as well.

So in short, you won't miss much. Cortana is probably coming to the iPhone soon as well.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread and doing so in a way which doesn't start a flame war. It's so nice to read constructive comments.

I recently bought a Lumia 930 and love it, though I miss Glance. However, it cost ?160 less to buy than my old Lumia 920 and I got ?100's worth of free accessories from Microsoft. With the money I saved over an iPhone 6, I could buy myself a Lenovo Miix 2 or Dell Venue Pro 8. What this shows is how much better value a Windows Phone is over an iPhone, because spec wise, a 930 is comparable and has features which the iPhone lacks - like dedicated camera button, physical OIS and wireless charging - that are well worth having. Build quality is similar as well, so I'm beginning to wonder whether the much vaunted app gap is worth initial cost difference.

I have a colleague who has an iPhone 6 and it is very much what I expected; not entirely a good thing. Build quality is good, but so it damn well should be and the look on my friend's face when I made to bend it was priceless. :) To have an iPhone is to live in fear of breaking it, because of the replacement cost. It requires a case or cover of some sort, so styling is irrelevant and thinness a necessity, not an aesthetic choice. This iPhone now sports a screen protector (which I doubt it needs) and a clear plastic case which has already trapped some dirt. My point here is that with a Lumia you can have high specs and cool styling without having to curate it.

There is another hardware thing the 930 has over the iPhone, it's battery life. My colleague and I have very similar usage patterns, though I tend to use Bluetooth more and he watches a couple more videos a day than I do. He is finding the battery adequate, but it is a worry to him - he would do more if he could. My battery life is all I need, I'm never afraid of playing a game or watching a video and not being left with too little power for the rest of the day. What's more, because of wireless charging, the device is never tied down. Recharging the device is an entirely natural action and there is no bother picking it up if you get a call or want to look something up. The advantage of this was recently bought home to me by another colleague, who uses a Galaxy S4. He bought a spare battery and it came with a charging case, so he could keep a battery on charge all the time. This is a really cool solution, except he has to switch off his device every time he needs to swap batteries. Given that one of my free accessories was a DC-50 wireless charging plate and power problems are history. PS: The Lumia 930 comes with a DT-601 charging plate, but I don't like it because it's hard to find the sweet spot, the DT-900 is better.

Those are some of the hardware features which keep me on Windows Phone and I'm confident that the 930 is a worthy successor to a 920 or 925. That remains true without the free accessories, by the way.

Software wise, both Windows Phone and Cortana are not just quantitative, but qualitative advances over iOS and Android. This is because when Apple made a touch operating system, they had a failure of imagination; they adapted the desktop for touch. Microsoft on the other hand, had to implement a whole new paradigm and this means Windows Phone is proactive, not merely reactive.

Just put your 925 down on the table and it will already be telling you the time and showing notifications, while the iPhone will be a blank screen. Double tap to wake and you now know the day and weather conditions - or your next appointment, depending on how you have it set up. The next point goes to the iPhone of course, because turning on the device and logging in are combined, but once you've entered your pin, Windows Phone regains the initiative by presenting the next five day's weather, a news headline and your next appointment - while iOS only has static icons with little numbers showing the number of unread messages, etc. Next to Windows Phone, iOS is dull and uninformative. The same is true of Cortana over Siri and Microsoft have only just started in that direction.

My final reason to stay with Windows Phone is the future. It's difficult to see how Apple can do anything but refine what they already have in iOS, whereas we already know Windows 10 is coming and that even if you stay with your 925, you will get it. Already qualitatively ahead W10 will be another qualitative step forward with Microsoft being the first to offer coherent access to your digital life independent of the device you use to access it with. I wouldn't be surprised to see full multitasking, the ability to run two apps on the screen using the snap feature and embedded controls on live tiles, so you can control playback of music or do simple calculations without even leaving the start screen.

I really think Microsoft have the best vision for the future, that Apple have lost the initiative and Google never had a clue in the first place.

If you decide to get the iPhone, good luck to you, I hope it serves you well. But I'm staying here where I'm comfortable and where I think there is most scope for the future.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
SD card support, double tap to wake, glance, preview, removable battery, wireless charging, file manager, download all files to phone (since 8.1), live tiles

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
4. If you are referring to the hardware, I would agree to a point. Nokia has made some beautiful devices (Icon, 925, 830), but Microsoft's current strategy of flooding the earth with low end, colorful plastic doesn't excite me.

metallic design is bad, here's why, No, Samsung, LG and Sony, I don't want a metal smartphone
plastic doesn't mean cheap, hardened plastic has different feeling, like 820, 920, 1020, 1520, 930, 830 cover
also, please wait for half years (if you have patience), then buy Microsoft Lumia 1030 (or Nokia Lumia 1030, idk which one) or 1530, 1830 (the goldfinger)

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I am right there with you. The final nail in the coffin for me was my work changing the MDM and dropping support for WP. I have a iPhone 6 on the way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999