What is the advantage anymore of WP over iPhone?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Price and preference. That's it.

This is like asking: "What advantage does Maytag have over Whirlpool" - Guess what! They're both appliances that serve the same purpose! Why is a smartphone any different?

There is no difference. No better, no worse. Only preference. Accept that and you'll be a much happier person.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site

This is like asking: "What advantage does Maytag have over Whirlpool" - Guess what! They're both appliances that serve the same purpose! Why is a smartphone any different?

There is no difference. No better, no worse. Only preference. Accept that and you'll be a much happier person.
Whirlpool actually owns maytag

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

If washing machines were like smartphones, your Windows washing machine would only be able to wash shirts and socks. If you wanted to wash shirts, socks and pants, you'd have to buy an Android washing machine. If you wanted to wash shirts, socks and pants without having to restart the machine every 15 minutes, you'd have to buy an Apple washing machine. But you are right, all three are appliances.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
So, what have you got now? Did you go back to the 1520?

I accepted an offer to trade the iPhone 6 Plus for a Samsung Galaxy Note Edge including two spare batteries and two cases. I am enjoying the Edge much more than the iPhone, although there is a lot to learn. I've been watching YouTube videos trying to study every option and feature. Even without loading launchers or rooting there are a myriad of options and settings. The Note 4/Edge almost doesn't fit in the category of a phone anymore.

I would really like to return to Windows Phone but there are apps that I don't want to give up. Having used iPhone and Edge I can say I prefer the 1520 but the app deficit is a deal breaker. The app situation wasn't as evident until I switched. It's not only important things like banking but little things like being able to order and pay for my Subway sandwich with the phone, walk into the restaurant, skip the line and have them hand it to me. I'm still interested in Windows Phone and considered buying a used 1520 as a second phone, but now I think I will wait until a successor to the 1520 with the new Snapdragon 810 SoC is released and Windows 10 is closer to release.

FYI, for those thinking of switching to Android be aware that some of the flagship phones, such as the Note 4 and G3, cannot use Microsoft Office. There are also synching issues and limitations with the Outlook app for Android. Microsoft Office and Outlook work fine on iPhone.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I accepted an offer to trade the iPhone 6 Plus for a Samsung Galaxy Note Edge including two spare batteries and two cases. I am enjoying the Edge much more than the iPhone, although there is a lot to learn. I've been watching YouTube videos trying to study every option and feature. Even without loading launchers or rooting there are a myriad of options and settings. The Note 4/Edge almost doesn't fit in the category of a phone anymore.

I would really like to return to Windows Phone but there are apps that I don't want to give up. Having used iPhone and Edge I can say I prefer the 1520 but the app deficit is a deal breaker. The app situation wasn't as evident until I switched. It's not only important things like banking but little things like being able to order and pay for my Subway sandwich with the phone, walk into the restaurant, skip the line and have them hand it to me. I'm still interested in Windows Phone and considered buying a used 1520 as a second phone, but now I think I will wait until a successor to the 1520 with the new Snapdragon 810 SoC is released and Windows 10 is closer to release.

FYI, for those thinking of switching to Android be aware that some of the flagship phones, such as the Note 4 and G3, cannot use Microsoft Office. There are also synching issues and limitations with the Outlook app for Android. Microsoft Office and Outlook work fine on iPhone.

Your post pretty much sums up how I currently feel, except I'll be moving to an iPhone 6+ from a 1520. Now I really like my 1520, but like you I'm having a hard time dealing with the app gap. I lasted a while though. Started with a Lumia 900, then bought the 920 on day 1. Microsoft convinced me that things would get better, but after the last 2 years of watching other platforms stay ahead in terms of features, and friends enjoying apps that I didn't have (or had crappy 3rd party alternatives to) enough is enough. I use Microsoft services almost exclusively, and they seem to be better on other platforms now. It's probably the main reason why I'm using my iPad more than my Surface 2.

The final straw for me though was Xbox Music. It just doesn't function as even an adequate music player for me. Crashing, lagging, constantly resuming if I switch out of it, it's a sad state of affairs that it's still considered beta. Syncing with iTunes doesn't seem so bad after going through this mess.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The advantage is much better OS, sturdier, better offline functionality, more secure and outstanding unlocked handsets @$40 (after you use unlock on ATT) Here Mix is awesome.

iPhone is a step back.

Nakia Johnson1

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
A beautiful UI. Plus, I think an already perfected platform is boring. I'd rather stay with Windows Phone and enjoy the ride :) iPhone is boring, boring OS, boring company.

I agree with you with the iiPhone being boring. I had my first iPhone 3gs On February of 2010 and my second iPhone was the iPhone 4s. At first I did like their UI but it got boring to me that I made sure I wouldn't go back to apple products.

Nakia Johnson1

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I almost decided to order another iPhone 6 plus and drop windows phone but I stopped. I really wished I had more confidence in Microsoft to do right by this OS but I don't yet apple nor google really impress me much.

How long you had apple? Because I remember you loving your 1520 and any other windows device. What made you switch to another platform?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
does people really think they will integrate Cortana on iOS and Android like it is on WP? LOLwake up guys, those OS already has their own integrated personal voice assistant and MS would never make Cortana better on them, the point is not making it a substitute (that would anger Apple and Google) but giving a WP taste and having more user data to improve her! i bet it won't be the full Cortana experience like we have on WP!

Why wouldn't they? They seem to be trying to make their other apps better in other devices.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Sd card support, games with XBOX live, removable batteries, longer battery life and glance. That's it. For everything else. iPhone > WP

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I could see it being pretty similar in functionality on Android. For iOS I think Cortana would be limited mostly due to the available API's that Apple allows developers to use.

Yes I'd agree with this. Google Now is on iOS, and it's not nearly as functional as it is on Android. Maybe Apple is making sure it doesn't usurp Siri.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Sd card support, games with XBOX live, removable batteries, longer battery life and glance. That's it. For everything else. iPhone > WP

I'm sorry but I laughed when I read "games with Xbox Live". That's something that just hasn't taken off on Windows Phone (yet).

Interestingly enough my iPhone 6 Plus gets longer battery life than my 1520 does (pre WP8.1 my 1520 was a juggernaut). I do miss glance though.

Yes I'd agree with this. Google Now is on iOS, and it's not nearly as functional as it is on Android. Maybe Apple is making sure it doesn't usurp Siri.

Apple does like to control certain aspects of their OS, though I wonder if this is more of a factor of security than allowing another assistant to potentially become more popular than Siri? Knowing Apple it's probably both.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro