11-18-2014 07:37 AM
89 ... 234
tools
    ummn no US isnt the largest market ,it has the contract system firstly
    secondly its the 7th largest market after China,India and a few more Asian and European countries
    companies want a foothold in China more than the US
    I disagree. Companies want equal footing in both places for different reasons.
    11-17-2014 06:03 AM
    Guessing what MSFT are doing is to cater the needs of all people in the society. There are others who aren't able to afford what apple offers but the need their devices.
    11-17-2014 07:32 AM
    I've felt that the QC of the Nokia brand was often overrated here by many WPC members, judging by the number of hardware defect complaints I've seen inside the device threads. They don't appear to me to any better or worse than any other smartphone OEM.
    MSFTisMIA and N_LaRUE like this.
    11-17-2014 11:17 AM
    I've felt that the QC of the Nokia brand was often overrated here by many WPC members, judging by the number of hardware defect complaints I've seen inside the device threads. They don't appear to me to any better or worse than any other smartphone OEM.
    Even some Finns said once Nokia moved manufacturing to China the quality dropped off. So I don't see them different build quality wise as other OEMs.

Posted Approved 1+1 Style!
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    11-17-2014 11:55 AM
    Yes far too many numbers, I think they should pick three sizes, maybe 4.5", 5" and 6" and then do a low, medium and top end phone in each at most.

Bob
    I think they should do four sizes.
    4.5, 5, 5.5 and 6 inches.
    11-17-2014 11:59 AM
    Read my post again. I didn't say they were the largest market. I said they have the highest profit margin since most people will pick up a flagship device.
    but itll be under contract and prices are cheaper in US
    so china is the where they will want to earn max profits
    11-17-2014 12:45 PM
    11-17-2014 12:46 PM
    Read my post again. I didn't say they were the largest market. I said they have the highest profit margin since most people will pick up a flagship device.
    thats generalising and not at all true
    11-17-2014 12:47 PM
    Make up your mind. First you say 4 in 10 now you're saying all you see is flagships. So you're a bit confusing with your statements.

I wasn't referring to the whole world either when I made my comment. I was saying the standards for phones is increasing and especially flagships.

The smartphone market is very competitive as we all know. No one OEM or supplier can sit on their hands and think they got it made. All have to keep maintaining quality and user experience. Screw those up and you're on the downward spiral.

Android, iPhone and WP all have quality phones in flagships. Android and WP have some decent mid range phones. I can't say much about low end because I wouldn't buy one of those. There are also OEMs in the Android spectrum pushing down the price on higher specs, which I see as good. I don't see that happening with WP at the moment.
    then we have different definations of quality
    for me its the whole experience
    ive travelled the world so i pretty much know what im talking about when i say certain countries dont have many flagships
    this doesnt mean India isnt a flagship market like people like to assume
    i see more flagships in Mumbai itself than most other places in the world
    11-17-2014 12:49 PM
    then we have different definations of quality
    for me its the whole experience
    ive travelled the world so i pretty much know what im talking about when i say certain countries dont have many flagships
    this doesnt mean India isnt a flagship market like people like to assume
    i see more flagships in Mumbai itself than most other places in the world
    OS selection is personal taste. Nothing more. It all comes down to what you want and what works for you. Quality of hardware is on par.

I've travelled quite a bit myself. I know countries don't have many or any flagships available. If there are flaghships more often than not they're shipped in.

I never made the assumption that India didn't have a flagship market. That's pretty obvious in the couple of years I've been on this forum.
    11-18-2014 01:58 AM
    thats generalising and not at all true
    What's not true? You already heard from a person from the US (MSFTisMIA) who stated that US people like flaghship phones because they can get them on contract easily. Flagships have more profit than a mid to low end phone. People end up paying more money on contract for a phone than off contract. What am I missing?

Same could be said of any country that has contract deals. I've lived in four different countries so I am speaking from experience.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    11-18-2014 02:02 AM
    but itll be under contract and prices are cheaper in US
    so china is the where they will want to earn max profits
    Nope you have that wrong. It's cheaper to get the phone but the phone cost more on contract.

Here's an example for you of a phone on contract. I won't even use a flagship, I'll use the Nokia 735.

I'll use my carrier as an example.

Nokia 735 - Free on two year contract
    30/m (equivalent tariff I use) - unlimited calls, texts and data

18/m is what I pay for the tariff on SIM only

12/m for the phone

179.95 to buy the phone outright

288 phone on contract (12/m over 24 months)

108.05 is the difference.

I'm not sure if this is split between OEM and carrier in some way but in the contracts I've had in the past they state the phone cost more so I'm assuming it's all the OEMs profit.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 11-18-2014 at 02:25 AM.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    11-18-2014 02:03 AM
    Yes I didn't say US had the highest number. Nor did I suggest in anyway that China or any other country wasn't worth their time. What I am suggesting is that a flagship device on all carriers is needed for MS to be successful in the US. You don't seem to understand that.
    JamesPTao and MSFTisMIA like this.
    11-18-2014 02:04 AM
    What's not true? You already heard from a person from the US (MSFTisMIA) who stated that US people like flaghship phones because they can get them on contract easily. Flagships have more profit than a mid to low end phone. People end up paying more money on contract for a phone than off contract. What am I missing?

Same could be said of any country that has contract deals. I've lived in four different countries so I am speaking from experience.
    This is the exact reason why Apple gave up the exclusive model in the US. T-mo had 3% of its total user base before it started selling iPhones using iPhones. They were losing money on handsets themselves because significant chunks of these folks were using preowned unlocked models.

Posted Approved 1+1 Style!
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    11-18-2014 07:37 AM
89 ... 234