Is the Lumia Brand Now Overrated?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
With the state of things now in the Windows Phone universe, and with the confusion as to how the Lumia line is constructed, I'm curious to see how people feel about the overall brand. Are other lumia users getting bang for their buck with their devices? What should MSFT be doing to strengthen the brand? Do folks feel that it should be lumia = WP?

My take is that with MSFT taking over Lumia brand now, cleaning up their offerings should be done to minimize confusion. As a dual user (Lumia 1520 & 1+1), it feels like MSFT is doing something Nexus-like with the Lumia line.

So what say you?

Posted Approved 1+1 Style!

Last edited:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes far too many numbers, I think they should pick three sizes, maybe 4.5", 5" and 6" and then do a low, medium and top end phone in each at most.

Bob

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
With the state of things now in the Windows Phone universe, and with the confusion as to how the Lumia line is constructed, I'm curious to see how people feel about the overall brand. Are other lumia users getting bang for their buck with their devices? What should MSFT be doing to strengthen the brand? Do folks feel that it should be lumia = WP?

My take is that with MSFT taking over Lumia brand now, cleaning up their offerings should be done to minimize confusion As a dual user (Lumia 1520 & 1+1), it feels like MSFT is doing something Nexus-like with the Lumia line.

So what say you?

Agreed. They need to simplify everything, or else they might end up doing what Samsung did and oversaturate the market with phones that are all pretty similar to each other :p

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes far too many numbers, I think they should pick three sizes, maybe 4.5", 5" and 6" and then do a low, medium and top end phone in each at most.

Bob

so like coming with 3 phones every category o.o? wouldn't that mean 9 phones every year or two ..that's if im understanding your correctly :p

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
With the purging of Nokia name, and the software merging to Windows (10), my hunch is that Microsoft is developing some very nice phones to put their name on, just like they did with the Surface. As they did with apps, they are going to where the largest chance for growth is first, then on to those of us that already have flagship phones after the merged Windows (10) launches. A lot of changes at Microsoft, even without the Nokia mobile purchase. I'm trying to be patient. Time will tell...

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I hope they come out with some really nice phones. I wouldn't mind if Microsoft became the only OEM of Windows Phone, like Apple. However, that would be impossible considering there are already too many OEMs... Hopefully next year, everything will be established, and we'll get some really nice phones.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The 535 is a solid start. They need to scrap the 6xx series and merge the 7xx and 8xx and 9xx series. Should make 10xx and 15xx as top shelf niche devices with really good hardware and camera combinations.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
At least they are not selfish like Samsung who have scant regard for os updates for mid end nd low end here in wp even 2 year old phone getting update I talk about lumia 820.That is one feature wp has marched ahead of android ND shamesung.Nobody should dare to buy Samsung in low or mid end.High end they provide updates.By updating even lower end devices wp has got loyal customers at least in mid end.Many of my friends switched from lumia 520 to Lumia 730 because of this care towards customer.
From Windows phone

jjk227

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
My contract is up in January. I will not be getting another nokia windows phone. There are not many aps, I always have trouble downloading aps and updating. Verizon reps do not even know how to use the phone all I keep being told is "do a soft reset" or "do a hard reset". Lumina needs to start from scratch and make a phone that works all the time.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I hope they come out with some really nice phones. I wouldn't mind if Microsoft became the only OEM of Windows Phone, like Apple. However, that would be impossible considering there are already too many OEMs... Hopefully next year, everything will be established, and we'll get some really nice phones.

I'm not so sure I want MSFT to be the only OEM for WP. I liked having Nokia because it least they had a game plan - I liked having Samsung and HTC because you would still get "stock WP", just with hardware that was comparatively different. If MSFT does it all, it may not appeal to the masses as much. MSFT needs to rope in everybody to keep building market share at this point.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Are other lumia users getting bang for their buck with their devices? What should MSFT be doing to strengthen the brand? Do folks feel that it should be lumia = WP?
!

Personally I would love for Lumia to equal windows phone. I have always wanted Microsoft to take an apple approach because that means the hardware and os is made directly by the same company and complement one another.

I've always felt like non Lumia products have always been just thrown together really and they don't really do much for the overall platform. Losing HTC or Samsung really wouldn't matter no matter how much people seem to think otherwise and the other low end OEM doesn't really seem to help the os either.

It's why I don't buy anything except surface for my tablet/laptop and Lumia as I know both products are going to be well supported devices. I want an apple mentality from Microsoft not this google minded

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would love for Lumia to equal windows phone. I have always wanted Microsoft to take an apple approach because that means the hardware and os is made directly by the same company and complement one another.

I've always felt like non Lumia products have always been just thrown together really and they don't really do much for the overall platform. Losing HTC or Samsung really wouldn't matter no matter how much people seem to think otherwise and the other low end OEM doesn't really seem to help the os either.

It's why I don't buy anything except surface for my tablet/laptop and Lumia as I know both products are going to be well supported devices. I want an apple mentality from Microsoft not this google minded

I get that. I think for the agnostic like myself, the choice may be better. I would be open to a situation where Lumia is the flagship brand, but local folks like the Indian OEMs can make WP models to cater to those buyers. HTC is just too broke and Samsung is just to interested in not honoring old agreements to count on them right now. Sony is like HTC, LG is still tepid.

To me it boils down to how fast MSFT handles the updates. As we've seen with Nokia, quality hardware can get wasted by constrained updates.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
They should do low end, midrange, 2 sizes of high end (big screen, not as big screen) and phablet.

6 screen sizes should be ok. But I don't know if MSFT will do that.

In terms of screen size, you can argue that low end could be in that 4.3" for the low end, mid range: 4.7 - 5.0", high end: 5.5" and 5.0" and a 6.0" + for the phablet. We will see if that makes sense for them as the components price.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I get that. I think for the agnostic like myself, the choice may be better. I would be open to a situation where Lumia is the flagship brand, but local folks like the Indian OEMs can make WP models to cater to those buyers. HTC is just too broke and Samsung is just to interested in not honoring old agreements to count on them right now. Sony is like HTC, LG is still tepid.

To me it boils down to how fast MSFT handles the updates. As we've seen with Nokia, quality hardware can get wasted by constrained updates.

I don't mind localized brands, especially if they have a better stronghold than Lumia/Microsoft in their countries. I am American so I wouldn't know tbh :)

However i'd love to see something akin to an Apple mindset or at the very least a Hybrid of Apple/Samsung.

In the first half of the year release your Flagship(930 type devices) to compete against HTC and Samsung Android Models

Use the Summer to release your Mid-range/Low end products

And the Fall/Winter to release your phablets.

Ideally: A perfect lineup of LUMIA

930(Mainstream Flagship) with 1020(Niche)----First of the year

Lumia 630 & 535 Summer

Lumia 1520 and Lumia 830 as fall......

That's exactly how I would've done it.

I don't believe the Lumia brand is overrated but some phones do not make any sense to me. The 530 being highly irrelevant. Especially since the 535 is coming soon. People say Price wise the 530 serves its purpose but the 630 SHOULD be the 530 and the 535 should be the 630.

The Lumia 730 is marketed as a Selfie phone...but it makes no real sense why the 830 lacks its High end FFC yet the 530 has it in it.

The 730 and 830 should have been combined into ONE phone. Overrated? No but I do feel like it is a tad oversaturated.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Nokia has always done this...that is what ended up getting them in trouble in the first place. The sense I get is that MSFT is still rolling out the rest of Nokia's final projects.

I still may say the brand is overrated. From a hardware perspective, Lumia holds the edge over others in WP in cameras. Design HTC and Nokia are in the same range. Yes Nokia got apps and provided more onboard support, but they had to because that was the only OS they were using and MSFT was funneling all that cash. I'd like to think if MSFT had updated the OS quicker than it did and HTC go even a slice of the cash Nokia got, their offerings would be even more competitive.

So for me...in some ways the brand was overrated. I used both Lumia and non Lumia devices and what I missed from Lumia wasn't that much software wise...but what I did miss was the camera.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus comparison with Google is a good one. If MS can use the Lumia line to push development and hardware, pilot the WP experience, etc., it would be a good thing. They are doing that with Surface, and the Lumia line can be the same thing for them. This presumes, of course, that they know where to take it and what to do with it, but its a good idea nonetheless.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus comparison with Google is a good one. If MS can use the Lumia line to push development and hardware, pilot the WP experience, etc., it would be a good thing. They are doing that with Surface, and the Lumia line can be the same thing for them. This presumes, of course, that they know where to take it and what to do with it, but its a good idea nonetheless.

The issue here is that MSFT hasn't showcased anything extra with the Lumia line so far. I know it is early going but I'm not sure if MSFT can clearly state at this point outside of reduced other OEM support to buy a Lumia because of xxx reasons...

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
The ink is barely dry on the merger. If that nexus model is indeed the goal, it isn't going to happen overnight. I want a new lumia flagship also, but it's going to take a while.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb