Is the Lumia Brand Now Overrated?

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
that is subjective to say the least . every phone has quality issues i mean we don't have to go far because we just need to check the forums.
i want to think what you said is spot on but that's far from reality

not really
i mean think about it
most android phones except nexus and HTC have more quality issues
most notoriously samsung whose bezel etc cant sustain scratches and the scratches turn white in colour
with my red Lumia 720,scratches are barely seen and the polycarbonate is mighty tough
any scratches on my 720 are red in colour itself not white underneath or something
the entire material used is red,so its not a paint or something
also my 720 and nexus have taken zero fall damage even without a cover many times
after using(and destroying) many (android) phones and finally discovering Lumia (and Nexus) i can say that their build quality and materials used is very top notch for the price

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
not really
i mean think about it
most android phones except nexus and HTC have more quality issues
most notoriously samsung whose bezel etc cant sustain scratches and the scratches turn white in colour
with my red Lumia 720,scratches are barely seen and the polycarbonate is mighty tough
any scratches on my 720 are red in colour itself not white underneath or something
the entire material used is red,so its not a paint or something
also my 720 and nexus have taken zero fall damage even without a cover many times
after using(and destroying) many (android) phones and finally discovering Lumia (and Nexus) i can say that their build quality and materials used is very top notch for the price

That's your personal experience. There are a ton of 920/928 users who will disagree. There are enough threads here that people talk about being on their 3rd, 4th, even 7th Lumia due to exchanges etc. Some of those people have tried to stick with their phone because the phone works for them.

As much as people ding Samsung plastic, it is just as durable as Nokian polycarbonate. It doesn't always look pretty when dinged up, but the phone still works. Each OEM has build quality issues. It happens with mass produced electronics...even the iPhone.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
That's your personal experience. There are a ton of 920/928 users who will disagree. There are enough threads here that people talk about being on their 3rd, 4th, even 7th Lumia due to exchanges etc. Some of those people have tried to stick with their phone because the phone works for them.

As much as people ding Samsung plastic, it is just as durable as Nokian polycarbonate. It doesn't always look pretty when dinged up, but the phone still works. Each OEM has build quality issues. It happens with mass produced electronics...even the iPhone.
Not true at all I have owned both. And I wouldn't base the quality of Nokia phones on people in these forums, no offense to members but we have a bunch of nitpicking whiners on here. Case in point by reading on these forums you would think the 930 had tons of issues but look on amazon and you will see hundreds of reviews on the phone with an average rating higher than any I've seen for anything I've ever bought or looked at on amazon. The grand majority on amazon says its the best phone they've ever owned. I added the last part for respective. These forums can be helpful for advice and info but definently aren't reliable for judging the quality of a phone.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
To just answer your question, in my honest opinion, no i dont think so. Compared to other OEMs that currently supply WPs, they are the biggest driving force to advancements in our devices and features; not to mention quality of handsets. By no means, I love the M8 and what it has brought to the platform but that is nothing compared to what the Nokia line has done. The efforts alone and the things done by Nokia from Sensor Core, to its app suite, to its devices, to the mostly stellar to perfect windows experience that most users enjoy with their devices I can't say they are. I think about it to myself and say that if Nokia was overrated and we have other devices that are better, which to switch to? The M8 seems to be the only option and seeing how that is recent in my opinion, I want to see how that device holds through time with updates and support from HTC. To me manufacturers like Samsung is overrated due to living off of name along (WP here) and not supplying a device to really help push the platform in anyway except gather stats.

I still say it is hard to compare Nokia to other WP OEMs fairly because they were the only one that had to be fully vested. HTC is the closest to compare but really, I still say they were held back by both the OS itself and their financial woes.

MohitKJain

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I am yet to face any issue whatsoever. I feel the build quality is way better than most other phones. I have owned HTC One X, One M8, lumia 800, 720 and I am currently using 1520. All I can say is that Lumias are the best handsets I have ever owned. And of course it's my opinion so it's definitely subjective

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Not true at all I have owned both. And I wouldn't base the quality of Nokia phones on people in these forums, no offense to members but we have a bunch of nitpicking whiners on here. Case in point by reading on these forums you would think the 930 had tons of issues but look on amazon and you will see hundreds of reviews on the phone with an average rating higher than any I've seen for anything I've ever bought or looked at on amazon. The grand majority on amazon says its the best phone they've ever owned. I added the last part for respective. These forums can be helpful for advice and info but definently aren't reliable for judging the quality of a phone.

I never use members here as a gauge. I've owned a 810, 8X and now have a 1520 (tested out a Ativ S too). All had no issues for me. I had the dust in the FFC for my 920 but didn't see it complaint worthy for my usage.

But my point is same. Build quality amongst OEMs has been argued since the dawn of cell phones. There are lemons out there. So I don't see the build quality of Nokia as superior to other OEMs. I've owned about 60 total smartphones in the past 10 years - most as daily drivers for on average about 6-8 months - so i based my comments on my own subjective experience.

From a hardware perspective, Lumia is not overrated. Software wise, it has gotten there, simply because the larger app exclusivity Nokia got initially is much smaller now than what you get from a HTC.

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I still say it is hard to compare Nokia to other WP OEMs fairly because they were the only one that had to be fully vested. HTC is the closest to compare but really, I still say they were held back by both the OS itself and their financial woes.
With that being said, is that a slight against Nokia or other OEMs? It isn't as though right out of the gate of WP it was Nokia devices providing the best devices/support/etc. WP was pretty much an open class to be taken over, other OEMs didn't think to possibly lead in that category because of its low market share. I would note that yes, HTC was a big supporter of WP devices and early on tried to provide a plethora of devices but due to financial woes decided Android was more feasible to survive except Nokia was in the same position at the time and could have adopted Android as well but instead made a pact with MSFT; fast forward to today and look to where they are.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
With that being said, is that a slight against Nokia or other OEMs? It isn't as though right out of the gate of WP it was Nokia devices providing the best devices/support/etc. WP was pretty much an open class to be taken over, other OEMs didn't think to possibly lead in that category because of its low market share. I would note that yes, HTC was a big supporter of WP devices and early on tried to provide a plethora of devices but due to financial woes decided Android was more feasible to survive except Nokia was in the same position at the time and could have adopted Android as well but instead made a pact with MSFT; fast forward to today and look to where they are.

HTC's problems are well documented. People complain that HTC doesn't do original work for WP - the 8X and 8s were original and still two of the 3 best designs...and they didn't do well. I remember when the 8X first came out and people complained at HTC copying Nokia. The only thing I wish they did was to have put 32GB + Qi in the 8X and 8GB in the 8S, but they may have had sourcing issues and chose to go the cheaper route.

I think there's enough room in the WP space for HTC to use the same hardware for both Android and WP and that be successful. Nokia had a little bit more leeway with their updates because they were taking MSFT money. I'm curious now with MSFT owning its own hardware division how that shakes out. At least Google seems to update Android a bit more frequently than MSFT...so HTC has to update their offerings software support wise.

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
With that being said do you think Nokia, now being MSFT, is overrated? Because of recent events from all the OEMs currently developing for WPs and release of the M8?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
MSFT is always overrated. They are very good at what they do but too big and siloed. Nadella exposed that in terms of how siloed of a company it is. No wonder it too as long as it did for us to get updates.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
MSFT is always overrated. They are very good at what they do but too big and siloed. Nadella exposed that in terms of how siloed of a company it is. No wonder it too as long as it did for us to get updates.

o.o... i don't think msft is overrated if there is an overrated company that would be apple imo :/

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Its the apps, both quality and the ones which are missing, that is the problem. There really isn't much that I want but don't have when it comes to the OS itself. I switched from WP to iOS for a bit over a month, and just switched back yesterday, and missed the WP OS a great deal. If the app situation, and the fact that other OS's get better ones, get's sorted out, I really won't have any complaints in regards to MS.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

lol no
samsung quality is pathetic
this coming from an ex-samsung ******(me)
their last good device was probably the GS2
after that,i dont get why people still buy samsung products
they are arrogant as a company and even their staff is rude
their quality is very bad compared to Lumia,Nexus and HTC
in comparison to samsung and other OEMs,Nokia is still #1 on my list
ive had bad experiences with pretty much all my phones which ive owned so far but only Nokia was good enough to help out

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
lol no
samsung quality is pathetic
this coming from an ex-samsung ******(me)
their last good device was probably the GS2
after that,i dont get why people still buy samsung products
they are arrogant as a company and even their staff is rude
their quality is very bad compared to Lumia,Nexus and HTC
in comparison to samsung and other OEMs,Nokia is still #1 on my list
ive had bad experiences with pretty much all my phones which ive owned so far but only Nokia was good enough to help out

I agree, every single person I met say that Samsung's services are pathetic, their staff is extremely arrogant! Every single friend of mine has always cursed samsung services. On the other hand Nokia's services has always been good.

Nothing can come upto the quality of Nokia

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
o.o... i don't think msft is overrated if there is an overrated company that would be apple imo :/

In their own ways, both Apple and MSFT are a bit overrated. To me, both are very good in the areas that they excel in. It is just that for better or worse, since Apple has been in the mobile space, they gave stated something and worked hard to deliver it. The Apple Watch is the first thing in a kong time they they have announced early and will ship later. Everything else has been we announce now and it is available now. So that I give them props for.

Apple is smaller than MSFT, so of course there is a slower pace to which things move at MSFT. Still they need to fix that quickly. I kinda like the idea in which they want to go with the one Windows experience, but we will see how they execute it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree, every single person I met say that Samsung's services are pathetic, their staff is extremely arrogant! Every single friend of mine has always cursed samsung services. On the other hand Nokia's services has always been good.

Nothing can come upto the quality of Nokia

Apple compares to the quality of Nokia just fine.

Again, the experiences of some people in some markets doesn't always mean that the overall company is great or crap. Nokia has always done well in India and Europe and done poorly historically in the US. HTC has always done well in Asia and the US and so-so in India. RIM has always done well in the US, Canada and Indonesia. Samsung has killed it in Asia, especially in their Korean home based - as expected. The people in a company's historically strong markets will praise it loyally and in the weaker markets will call it a POS and both groups will be right.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Love how you paint the users on this forum with such a large brush.

An unhappy customer is a unhappy customer. Whether on this forum or not. We don't know how many first release L920's were returned but we do know many had issues.

I don't know why anyone would buy a L930 but to each their own.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Apple compares to the quality of Nokia just fine.

Again, the experiences of some people in some markets doesn't always mean that the overall company is great or crap. Nokia has always done well in India and Europe and done poorly historically in the US. HTC has always done well in Asia and the US and so-so in India. RIM has always done well in the US, Canada and Indonesia. Samsung has killed it in Asia, especially in their Korean home based - as expected. The people in a company's historically strong markets will praise it loyally and in the weaker markets will call it a POS and both groups will be right.

apple service is pathetic outside US/UK though
rude and arrogant service centre people who ask people to pay up $600 for a week old ipad with a manufacturing defect of a dead pixel and take home a refurbished ipad isnt professional at all

also their quality has taken a toss recently,iphone 6 really does bend
two of my friends from Uni have got bent iphone 6's already
HTC One M8 doesnt have this issue because they included a titanium framework inside the phone to prevent

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)