Is the Lumia Brand Now Overrated?

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Make up your mind. First you say 4 in 10 now you're saying all you see is flagships. So you're a bit confusing with your statements.

I wasn't referring to the whole world either when I made my comment. I was saying the standards for phones is increasing and especially flagships.

The smartphone market is very competitive as we all know. No one OEM or supplier can sit on their hands and think they got it made. All have to keep maintaining quality and user experience. Screw those up and you're on the downward spiral.

Android, iPhone and WP all have quality phones in flagships. Android and WP have some decent mid range phones. I can't say much about low end because I wouldn't buy one of those. There are also OEMs in the Android spectrum pushing down the price on higher specs, which I see as good. I don't see that happening with WP at the moment.

then we have different definations of quality
for me its the whole experience
ive travelled the world so i pretty much know what im talking about when i say certain countries dont have many flagships
this doesnt mean India isnt a flagship market like people like to assume
i see more flagships in Mumbai itself than most other places in the world

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
then we have different definations of quality
for me its the whole experience
ive travelled the world so i pretty much know what im talking about when i say certain countries dont have many flagships
this doesnt mean India isnt a flagship market like people like to assume
i see more flagships in Mumbai itself than most other places in the world

OS selection is personal taste. Nothing more. It all comes down to what you want and what works for you. Quality of hardware is on par.

I've travelled quite a bit myself. I know countries don't have many or any flagships available. If there are flaghships more often than not they're shipped in.

I never made the assumption that India didn't have a flagship market. That's pretty obvious in the couple of years I've been on this forum.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
thats generalising and not at all true

What's not true? You already heard from a person from the US (MSFTisMIA) who stated that US people like flaghship phones because they can get them on contract easily. Flagships have more profit than a mid to low end phone. People end up paying more money on contract for a phone than off contract. What am I missing?

Same could be said of any country that has contract deals. I've lived in four different countries so I am speaking from experience.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
but itll be under contract and prices are cheaper in US
so china is the where they will want to earn max profits

Nope you have that wrong. It's cheaper to get the phone but the phone cost more on contract.

Here's an example for you of a phone on contract. I won't even use a flagship, I'll use the Nokia 735.

I'll use my carrier as an example.

Nokia 735 - Free on two year contract
?30/m (equivalent tariff I use) - unlimited calls, texts and data

?18/m is what I pay for the tariff on SIM only

?12/m for the phone

?179.95 to buy the phone outright

?288 phone on contract (?12/m over 24 months)

?108.05 is the difference.

I'm not sure if this is split between OEM and carrier in some way but in the contracts I've had in the past they state the phone cost more so I'm assuming it's all the OEMs profit.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
What's not true? You already heard from a person from the US (MSFTisMIA) who stated that US people like flaghship phones because they can get them on contract easily. Flagships have more profit than a mid to low end phone. People end up paying more money on contract for a phone than off contract. What am I missing?

Same could be said of any country that has contract deals. I've lived in four different countries so I am speaking from experience.

This is the exact reason why Apple gave up the exclusive model in the US. T-mo had 3% of its total user base before it started selling iPhones using iPhones. They were losing money on handsets themselves because significant chunks of these folks were using preowned unlocked models.

Posted Approved 1+1 Style!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise