...and Glance is dead. Yay!

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Had it with my L920 and L1020 don't have it with my L930. Guess what.... I don't miss it. I thought I would but once it was gone it was soon forgotten.

(also had 920 before, now 930)

Although I do not actively miss glance I still really like it and I hope they will bring it back in the future so I can have glance once again on my next phone!

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
ATIV S user here, but I've tried Glance on my brother's 920. Glance isn't being fully utilized unless it is on AMOLED. In that case, the 1020 & 925 are the only true Glance Screen devices. Isn't glance on LCD a bad idea? Illuminating the entire display (even if on low brightness) just to show the time and simple notification icons. Not a good idea for battery life on a LCD display. With AMOLED, there is a risk of burn-in, but I believe that Glance moves the clock around in order to avoid that.

Glance + AMOLED = they were made for each other.
Glance + LCD = why bother?

As long as all the new low-mid range 8.1 devices are LCD, I don't think that we are missing much without Glance.

Despite any trouble between MS and Samsung, I hope that all future flagships will use Samsung AMOLED. Put an ATIV S next to a 920, and you'll never want LCD ever again (except for better sunlight readability, :p).

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
ATIV S user here, but I've tried Glance on my brother's 920. Glance isn't being fully utilized unless it is on AMOLED. In that case, the 1020 & 925 are the only true Glance Screen devices. Isn't glance on LCD a bad idea? Illuminating the entire display (even if on low brightness) just to show the time and simple notification icons. Not a good idea for battery life on a LCD display. With AMOLED, there is a risk of burn-in, but I believe that Glance moves the clock around in order to avoid that.

Glance + AMOLED = they were made for each other.
Glance + LCD = why bother?

As long as all the new low-mid range 8.1 devices are LCD, I don't think that we are missing much without Glance.

Despite any trouble between MS and Samsung, I hope that all future flagships will use Samsung AMOLED. Put an ATIV S next to a 920, and you'll never want LCD ever again (except for better sunlight readability, :p).

Yes Glance on the 920 does light up the entire screen but I haven't found any difference in battery life on my 920 and 925 when glance is always ON. And yes, Glance is useful once you get used to it

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
How is it useful ain't it just basically your lock screen
Yes but it has already been discussed before, I don't have to touch my phone till I see a notification of my lock screen apps on Glance. It's more of a novelty (for some..or most) that I'm absolutely used to now, similar to wireless charging. Plus it gives me options to customize it using wallpapers and the Weather app (i don't use it)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Green 1520 user here and the first thing I disabled is Glance. I realize it's a good feature to have for some, but to me it's not very well done feature-wise. I've read some posts where it's useful at night to see the time and I gotta wonder if the phone "sleeps" standing up to be able to see that clock. I'm assuming most people lay it down flat on a night stand so if you wanted to see the time, you gotta pick it up. Tap-to-wake is another story. I got spoiled by my G2 and G3 and consider it a very useful feature. Now if only it could be made to double tap-to-sleep like the LGs.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Glance can work on LCD.
I'm pretty sure these newer display panels have adaptive contrast in there.
Like if you're viewing something that's predominantly black, the backlight dims enough to show more contrast. A subtle effect like some televisions use, I believe. It has a user-enable option on Samsung phones, if I remember correctly. Can be used to save a lot of juice.

For the price tag of the 830, no matter how good the design, the lack of an AMOLED is puzzling to me. Motorola used a 720p RGB-stripe AMOLED on their last gen Moto X, so how expensive could they really be a year later? 830 costs $450 where I live, and I find it to be the only Lumia that doesn't justify its cost. The 730 is about $200 cheaper.

If old Nokia can put Glance on a sub-$200 phone, new Nokia could too. I'm willing to bet this was Microsoft's decision. Yes, yes, I know, someone will now point out that Nokia was the one who made the phone and it was designed before Microsoft had a say in the matter. I don't think so. It's not hard to modify small design requirements like ordering the panels without display memory, or omitting the hole where the camera button could have been, when the time comes for mass production.

Those were small changes, they required no change to the chipset and likely very minor modification in the firmware. But they did save money. That's what counts for them, I suppose.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^I would sacrifice a slightly better screen for a better SOC any day.
Then again I'm a IPS fan. I don't like the overblown AMOLED color and the worse pixel density. The 830 already has subpart pixel density, we don't need AMOLED to make it blurrier.

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
My 1520 and my wife's 1020 both came with 8.1 and Cyan. They both have Glance.

I find it hard to believe that it is dying since there was an update to it not long ago, Microsoft has developed apps that interact with it, Microsoft has developed an add-on app for it, and there is another update coming to it with Denim.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
With out this sounding like a complete ***, you glance at it for a few seconds a day! If its useful to you sir then that's cool but I like the fact the 930 has an amazing screen on it something that makes writing this to you super joyful lol

My 1020 screen is just as awesome as your 930 screen. And it has glance, too. I am not using an LCD...

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
my 900 and my wife's 800 both came with 7.5 and mango. They both have 7.5.

I find it hard to believe that it is dying since there was an update to it not long ago, microsoft has developed apps that interact with it, microsoft has developed an add-on app for it, and there is another update coming to it with 7.8.
ftfy

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Glance is THE feature that changed me from hating WP (8.0) to loving it. Not that the other improvements and features didn't mean anything, but Glance made the phone much more usable. No more finding the power button or attempting the alleged Double Tap just to see what time it is or if I missed a call.

If TMO can't/won't release a mid or high end phone with WP 10 out, and Glance, I might as well get an Android. Hate the idea, but at least the Wifi Calling works, unlike my 925's.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Tap to wake is 10x more useful IMO. As long as I have that I'm good.

It rarely works on my 810, the pressure range is so narrow it's easier to just hit the power button. My 925's are better, but since it's still hit or miss, I go for the power button regardless.

I'd like the ability as my Android had some years ago of just touching the Windows/Home button and it goes past any lock screen to the desktop. Er, Start screen. Don't know if that was Android 2.2 or the Cyanogen Mod I was running. One hundred percent reliable, no fumbling to find the power button.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
It rarely works on my 810, the pressure range is so narrow it's easier to just hit the power button. My 925's are better, but since it's still hit or miss, I go for the power button regardless.

I'd like the ability as my Android had some years ago of just touching the Windows/Home button and it goes past any lock screen to the desktop. Er, Start screen. Don't know if that was Android 2.2 or the Cyanogen Mod I was running. One hundred percent reliable, no fumbling to find the power button.

I guess Samsung ATIV phones have that since they have a physical Start button.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I guess Samsung ATIV phones have that since they have a physical Start button.

Not quite. It only wakes the phone, you still have to swipe up. What he's referring to is the ability to go straight to the start screen and bypassing the lock screen. Starting with Jelly Bean, you can disable the lock screen. I'd like that as well. On my ill-fated G3 I could double-tap and be at my home screen without fumbling for buttons. Or in Mark Sanchez's case - buttfumbling.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Why I love Glance Department: I spent some time going through my settings, especially in regards Gland, Notifications, and Lockscreen. I very much prefer True Calendar 8 for my, oddly enough, calendar. So jiggling the settings, when on Glance, I get the usual time, day of week, and date. Underneath, I get calendar notices, like "Today," meaning all day calendar items. "In 19 hours," an item. "In 2 days," two items.

And of course, notifications about charge, messages, emails, vibrate on, etc.

Absolutely love it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99