...and Glance is dead. Yay!

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
You're just explaining WHY glance is dead

Glance is dead would mean glance is no longer being supported. Or glance has been abandoned. None of which is true. There has just been a device with glance (830). Older devices with glance just got the latest update with new features. So glance is in no way dead. It's just not as ubiquitous as it earlier used to be.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Aaaaaand, we see more whining, this time related to Glance.
Just for the record, it has been concluded a ton of times that lack of Glance on 930/Icon is a fail. Glance on low-end phones, what?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Glance is not dead.. Might be dying, yes, but the call to keep it alive will not go unnoticed by MS. Who would give up such a valuable asset that almost all buyers look for in their phones (WP buyers anyways).

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Glance is not dead.. Might be dying, yes, but the call to keep it alive will not go unnoticed by MS. Who would give up such a valuable asset that almost all buyers look for in their phones (WP buyers anyways).

Glance isn't going anywhere. Just because three new phones don't have it, doesn't mean glance is dying. Let's wait and look out for the next three phones (1330, 1530, 1030). My guess is that both the 1530 and 1030 will come with glance since they won't want to repeat the mistake they made with the 930 again. The 1330 might skip it since it would be cheaper than the 1320.

They might as well release a Lumia 935 with glance and a thinner body. That would make two pairs of phones they could release at two separate events: 935+1030 & 1530+1330.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Aaaaaand, we see more whining, this time related to Glance.
Just for the record, it has been concluded a ton of times that lack of Glance on 930/Icon is a fail. Glance on low-end phones, what?

Totally disagree, I love my 930 the screen is awesome far better than anything else and I look at that for hours a day but glance would be for a minute or 2 each day as I would only glance at it and nothing more.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Glance isn't going anywhere. Just because three new phones don't have it, doesn't mean glance is dying. Let's wait and look out for the next three phones (1330, 1530, 1030). My guess is that both the 1530 and 1030 will come with glance since they won't want to repeat the mistake they made with the 930 again. The 1330 might skip it since it would be cheaper than the 1320.

I didn't say it was going anywhere :winktongue: I said it might be dead, but the public has voiced their opinion quite strongly so I don't think MS will ignore that, because it is a major selling point. In short im saying if it was going to be discontinued, MS will have a lot of angry users to deal with

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Totally disagree, I love my 930 the screen is awesome far better than anything else and I look at that for hours a day but glance would be for a minute or 2 each day as I would only glance at it and nothing more.

Glance is a more useful feature than what you describe and it's unavailability on the Lumia 930 is a serious disappointment.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Glance is a more useful feature than what you describe and it's unavailability on the Lumia 930 is a serious disappointment.
Go on as I'm not convinced! What massive usefulness does it have other than something you spend 2 seconds looking at every so often?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Go on as I'm not convinced! What massive usefulness does it have other than something you spend 2 seconds looking at every so often?

I have quite often said that a phone and it's features are only good if the user actually needs them and that is very true with Glance. Im a student and I have a part-time job at a hotel. When i'm in class or a mandatory meeting, I can simply turn glance (always on) and put the phone on vibrate. For that small period of time Glance keeps me updated without the need for me to physically touch the phone. So, yes it does have it's advantages

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

During the night, it is a nice clock. And when I'm in the kitchen and my hands are dirty, I air-swipe over my phone to see if there's anything necessary. Really cool feature. 😎 And the battery consumption is negligible, despite the convenience. During the day, I set it to always on and place my phone on the desk and I can see whether I have an important notification from 10' away!

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
During the night, it is a nice clock. And when I'm in the kitchen and my hands are dirty, I air-swipe over my phone to see if there's anything necessary. Really cool feature. 😎 And the battery consumption is negligible, despite the convenience. During the day, I set it to always on and place my phone on the desk and I can see whether I have an important notification from 10' away!
With out this sounding like a complete ***, you glance at it for a few seconds a day! If its useful to you sir then that's cool but I like the fact the 930 has an amazing screen on it something that makes writing this to you super joyful lol

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

I enabled it and it's very handy, shows the time and notifications w/o unlocking the phone. Also you can see the weather, it's quite buggy but still.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
With out this sounding like a complete ***, you glance at it for a few seconds a day! If its useful to you sir then that's cool but I like the fact the 930 has an amazing screen on it something that makes writing this to you super joyful lol

Haha yes if the only issue here is that we only look at it for two seconds then you have won this argument, but we have given quite a few reasons why glance is so loved.

And I absolutely agree with you about the screen of the 930! Gorgeous!

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Glance is like wireless charging. It's cool, seems awesome but in the end it's not the be all end all feature that it was touted as. If you were going to check your phone anyways, you were going to push the power button or double Tap to wake. Glance just gets rid of that step. But you still have to touch your phone and press the power button to respond to anything anyways. Again nice to have but not a deal breaker imo.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Not giving a value judgement here. Just saying that its virtually dead
Glance is like wireless charging. It's cool, seems awesome but in the end it's not the be all end all feature that it was touted as. If you were going to check your phone anyways, you were going to push the power button or double Tap to wake. Glance just gets rid of that step. But you still have to touch your phone and press the power button to respond to anything anyways. Again nice to have but not a deal breaker imo.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Have to disagree here with the Glance naysayers.
It's one of the best features to come over from Nokia and is more than it's name suggests.
The lack of Glance screen is why I still haven't upgraded my trusty L920. The 830 Is a side-grade.
Should the next Premium/ Upper end MS Handsets lack it, it will affect upgrade options as once you have it, it's hard to go back.

BlackSheriff84

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Have to disagree here with the Glance naysayers.
It's one of the best features to come over from Nokia and is more than it's name suggests.
The lack of Glance screen is why I still haven't upgraded my trusty L920. The 830 Is a side-grade.
Should the next Premium/ Upper end MS Handsets lack it, it will affect upgrade options as once you have it, it's hard to go back.

Had it with my L920 and L1020 don't have it with my L930. Guess what.... I don't miss it. I thought I would but once it was gone it was soon forgotten.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo