Becoming more and more now...

AnestisL820

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/13/7213489/microsoft-leaves-windows-users-in-the-cold it seems that we are people with a lot of patience and as a comment i read it seems that we are the testing team so they can deliver better apps to other platforms... you can not hope to get more WP users when you deliver the best to other OS... you can give a taste and make the app for your own platform to attract people to your OS not the other way... can't really understand what they think...

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
re:

It is an odd one.

They're now focusing on software and getting that out to as many people as possible - that of course means ios and android are the priority, as they ARE the market. WP, at the moment, is a blip, so it makes financial sense to focus where the punters are.

It's unfortunate but msft is once again rebuilding wp - like the jump from windows mobile to wp7, then to 8, 8.1 and now 10 - the goal posts are constantly shifting and the ability of the platform is also evolving. Perhaps more of the features will come with windows 10, but until then the dev teams have to focus on producing the best they can, to continue being budgeted (like any company) this they showcase on the most popular and prolific platforms first. Economics. Such is life.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
re:

Yesterday Microsoft made some cross-platform announcements for developers, they even introduced an Android emulator. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft switches the focus to cross-platform development and neglects Universal apps.
Windows is losing relevance at a fast pace in Microsoft, even in the server side the trend is starting.

A windowless world is coming.

AnestisL820

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
re:

Seems like it... But I think there must be a continuity at the OS... Not wait until windows 10 you'll see everything will be better... The same as with windows phone 7 to windows phone 8... In every step Microsoft leaves behind everything else until something completely new is created... There must be a flow in the is like ios or android not evey 1-2 years everything from the beginning...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

I think people are forgetting the fact that Microsoft is increasing it's umbrella over services and cloud features. Office is app based on Apple and Android, but baked into the OS for Windows Phone and can't really be updated in the same way as other system apps are.

Hopefully Windows Mobile 10 (or whatever it'll be called) will be killer. Until then, Microsoft is supporting its customers, on whatever platform they happen to use.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
re:

The whole "Windows 10 will be the one" is quite puzzling, its now become the de facto response to any questions about WP being neglected, what exactly are people expecting from W10 that will change the fortunes of Windows Phones? Witt it magically make snapchat appear, or the Instagram app not be a total turd? The funny thing is this is d?j? vu from just before Windows 8 was released and the theme was that it would push people to WP but as we know that didn't happen. Is anything really going to be different with Windows 10?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
re:

This whole thing really makes me sad...

I have been an advocate for Windows since the beginning. I know Windows 10 will be great, but how can I extoll the virtues of Windows Phone when Microsoft doesn't give me any support?

Here's my word of advice to Microsoft... spin off the Windows Phone 8 team into their own sub-group within Microsoft while Win 10 is being developed. Keep this team involved in WIn10 so their changes make it through, but allow them to be lean, quick, agile. Allow them to work like a small innovative group, but give them all the resources they need. You'd see amazing things coming out day after day....

Instead it's like the Windows Phone team is the pinky toe of Microsoft. They're there... they need them, they serve a purpose.... but they could survive without them. Sad... makes me so sad.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
re:

I like the flat and clean design of Lollipop. A clean, minimalist UI is what drew me to WP. But I have waited so long, the app gap is still there and we are still way behind other OS in terms of functionality and features. As I said before, I will wait until 10 gets released. If I am not satisfied, sorry but I will move to Android. That Sony Xperia Z4 is just around the corner.

AnestisL820

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
re:

that's exactly what i am saying... there is a flow in the others OS... WP team is just seperate from everything... we'll see what happens with Windows 10... but when Microsoft realeses a tool to create android apps and will pass cortana to other os tells something... yes i can understand that a firm needs to make Money but when you have your own OS you must make it worth and will give you refund...

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
re:

Here's my word of advice to Microsoft... spin off the Windows Phone 8 team into their own sub-group within Microsoft while Win 10 is being developed. Keep this team involved in WIn10 so their changes make it through, but allow them to be lean, quick, agile. Allow them to work like a small innovative group, but give them all the resources they need. You'd see amazing things coming out day after day....

I don't think it's the case that Microsoft lacks the vision or that they lack the ability to see the project through to the end. They could release amazing new features every day, but to what end? Verizon, of course, still hasn't pushed 8.1 to their Windows Phones, which Microsoft released in April. 8.1 Update 1 was released months ago too, and that hasn't been generally distributed yet either.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

I don't think it's the case that Microsoft lacks the vision or that they lack the ability to see the project through to the end.

In terms of WP development, the App development team is separate to the OS development team (they're different people). Office Mobile is currently "owned" by the OS team, so they're working on different timelines (OS long, AppDev short). Office Mobile can't break out of the OS (WP8) and be an App based model.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
re:

Is office mobile really baked in or is that some kind of assumption? I mean Facebook got separated, the games hub sorta got separated, Xbox music and video got separated, messaging got separated...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

Yeah, it's baked in. You've probably noticed that the Office apps remain in their own hub and we never see any Office updates come through the Windows Phone Store. It's a pretty safe assumption that Office is built into to the OS.

AnestisL820

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
re:

But how can that be good???? If it is baked in then which team is offering so many features of office to other OS and not to windows phone itself??? Something should be wrong here...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett