Would you recommend the HTC One M8 to someone looking for a "flagship?"

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I ask because it seems troublesome that no one mentions the M8 when talking about the lack of flagships this season.

After all, are these not considered great specs?

• 5-inch screen, 1080p screen, 440ppi
  • Snapdragon 801
  • 32GB internal storage
  • 2GB ram
  • Duo Camera, BoomSound
  • Available on THREE carriers (Verizon, T-Mo, AT&T)

Is the processor not fast enough, the screen not big enough? Is it not different enough from the 1520 or the Samsung Ativ SE? Or is it because it doesn't have the best possible specs on the market? It still seems quite good even without a higher resolution screen or Snapdragon 805. So I wonder why the M8 is consistently forgotten when people talk about Windows Phone. Surely there must be some element that I'm failing to see.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
That is odd. The only thing I can think of is that WP users here have become so locked into the mentality that the Lumia is the only WP worth bothering with that they've just written off keeping anything else in mind. I suspect it stems from the days not so long ago when Nokia were the only ones who continued to actively support WP while Samsung Ativ and HTC 8x sort of just quietly allowed themselves to fade away.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
That is odd. The only thing I can think of is that WP users here have become so locked into the mentality that the Lumia is the only WP worth bothering with that they've just written off keeping anything else in mind. I suspect it stems from the days not so long ago when Nokia were the only ones who continued to actively support WP while Samsung Ativ and HTC 8x sort of just quietly allowed themselves to fade away.

Those days aren't long ago, they are still here today. And its not a mentality, its fact: Lumia devices are the best supported Windows Phones. Samsung and HTC were making Windows devices long before Nokia came along but up till today, we cant say they have put a lot of effort into their devices or after sales support. So while their devices may have good specs on paper people are thinking beyond that and how their devices will be supported later on in their lives and that makes a Lumia device the first choice for a lot of people.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The one reason I got a Lumia 830 over the HTC One was because I felt more confident it would get updates later down the road (when they show up...)

HTC pretty much gave up on the 8S and the 8X is still waiting for 8.1

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Looks like I hit the nail on the head then I guess about people being too peeved at HTC's past treatment of WP to consider the M8.

My suggestion would be to monitor how HTC handles updates now on the M8. Over in Android land Moto was the worst of them all for updates in 2011/2012 and then became the best after they changed ownership. Who knows, maybe HTC will have turned over a new leaf for WP, or maybe not.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Why get the when they have a history of a lack of support? It has a not so stellar camera as well.

Isn't the one in tmobile missing a band as well?

I wud get it ONLY to get off of the 635

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You have four choices for flagship windows phones. three of them are over year old and the last one has shoddy customer support. those don't look like very appealing choices

jfdavis17

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
As a owner of a M8, I do consider it a flagship. It is a awesome device. As for future support, well for me I usually only hold on to a phone for a year or so at best. So I figure It won't fall to far behind in that time frame. But seriously you get the developers preview with the M8 as you do with the lumia. So with the exception of hardware updates you get the same support as with the lumia.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
You have four choices for flagship windows phones. three of them are over year old and the last one has shoddy customer support. those don't look like very appealing choices

I counted three with only one technically being a year old. But your point is valid.

I'd still recommend the One for Windows. Very good hardware. HTC has always made their phones to work as well as possible out of the box. They have never done the whole additional style firmware to the extent Nokia did...and for some folks, that's fine. My two favorite WP8 devices so far are the 925 and 8X. If HTC chooses better hardware components and updates their apps a little bit more, then they're right back in the game.

Posted Approved 1+1 Style!

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I think the complaints have more to do with the actual lack of up to date devices than what the devices have or doesn't have. The HTC is the most recent and yes it is a flagship. But it is just one singular one. The 930 and 1520 were both released last year (the 930 is pretty much an icon so its not exactly this years model) and so was the Samsung ativ se which I doubt anyone really knows about. And theres nothing to indicate they will get a refresh or successor anytime soon. It also doesn't help that Ms seems to have screwed the pooch with launch timing and device timing so its always getting overshadowed by something else or the hype train gets derailed fairly quickly.
Sure they have a couple new devices but again the high end stuff is what gets people talking. The low and middle end stuff is there for when the high end stuff becomes too much, too big, too expensive etc. If the other devices stood out in any way they could run with it without the need for a flagship status phone but quite frankly none of them stand out in any spectacular way.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I hemmed and hawed over whether to buy an 830 or HTC One. After much consideration I've chosen to get the One.

It has many downsides. At the risk of talking myself out of this decision, I'll list them.

Glance alternative displays significantly less information and requires the case.

No wireless charging, unless you buy a sheet which interfaces with the microusb port (which means you'll have to remove it to plug in the phone).

Firmware updates are guaranteed to be less exciting, if they ever come.

Speaking of firmware, the One supports but might never get "hey Cortana".

The camera is generally awful, or so I hear.

The always on "refocus" camera hardware is actually worse than Nokia's software solution, which you can't use on the One.

No camera button.

The power button is on top. WHY

No "storage check" app- the only possible method of putting maps on the SD card.

No clearblack display.

No sunlight visibility mode.

No super sensitive touch.

No removable battery.

Did I miss something?

The 830, by comparison, has a quarter of the specs but has ALL of the above features, so it's easy to consider the One vastly inferior to a phone that isn't even trying to be high end.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'd recommend the m8 if only someone was a diehard htc fan. While it is a flagship I don't forget it, it's just highly irrelevant to me since lumia has always done more and is more relevant to me.

To me lumia is really the only high end phone worth bothering with simply put because even if htc does miraculously put effort in then I will get priority from Microsoft with lumia still.

That alone makes me feel good and makes me know that lumia is worth more than whatever htc throws out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
As a owner of a M8, I do consider it a flagship. It is a awesome device. As for future support, well for me I usually only hold on to a phone for a year or so at best. So I figure It won't fall to far behind in that time frame. But seriously you get the developers preview with the M8 as you do with the lumia. So with the exception of hardware updates you get the same support as with the lumia.

No you don't lol. If that was the case, icon owners would be content with dp. I want official updates not just the updates from the preview which may be a bit Buggy and with the additional software updates like Amber black cyan and denim, the support is vastly different lol.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
No you don't lol. If that was the case, icon owners would be content with dp. I want official updates not just the updates from the preview which may be a bit Buggy and with the additional software updates like Amber black cyan and denim, the support is vastly different lol.

Let's be fair here. What did cyan bring us? Bluetooth LE, which should have been supported in the first place. Sensorcore, which basically applies only to new devices, which should have supported it in the first place. Miracast, which should have been supported TWO YEARS AGO, but was instead arbitrarily roped off for newer devices only.

Many users claim battery life is better, but I've never seen actual proof (users posting charts of before and after), and this is not one of the listed features of cyan. I have severe doubts about the validity of most battery life claims. I personally did not see a drop in battery life with 8.1, nor an increase with cyan.

So what did most people actually get from cyan? Camera improvements. The only thing I can think of that amber did was add camera improvements, and enable glance (which should have been a feature supporting phones launched with). Denim is, you guessed it, sporting camera updates.

Now lets see the impact not getting these updates have on the HTC One: Well, since it's shipping with all of its features enabled (having come from an OS that used them and so no last minute updates are going to be required to activate certain hardware), that means the only "updates" one misses out on is for the camera. If you're leaving Nokia, then camera quality isn't as important to you.

There are no claims, unsubstantiated or otherwise, that the One needs a firmware refresh to improve battery life.

Lumia updates apply to Lumia hardware. If you don't have Lumia hardware, you don't need the update. QED, you're not missing out on much for your device.

The dev preview is where all the real updates are. I have not encountered an issue with any of the 6 devices I put the dev preview on; none that I couldn't fix myself. Nothing is "buggy", there are only conflicts with your specific device.

Would I like to see an update to dotview once in a blue moon, like glance gets? Yeah. Is the lack of that alone going to support the argument "HTC isn't worth getting because they don't support the OS"? No.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I often love how you M8 owners try to rationalize the shortcomings of this phone to make excuses for it(The camera isn't that bad and if you want to take good pictures, use a DSLR lol...or you know, you can buy the phone with the better camera) or discredit Lumia advantages(The apps Lumia has are irrelevant as HEre is the only the matters OR Nokia was PAID to support the OS, HTC or Samsung or OEMs didn't have that funding so they didn't have a reason to).

It's really amusing to me truthfully.

Fact is, When I look at Nokia updates for their phone, I don't sit here and compare features to features. I don't use every bit of the update that Windows Phone has or every Nokia update. I could care less if an update is merely just bug fixes. However, I do care to see a Manufacturer go above and beyond the vanilla default Windows Phone experience by offering an extension to the OS.

It shows they SUPPORT the OS and Aren't just releasing any phone and throwing it out to be forgotten about it. Long before we got Folders built into the OS, Samsung and Nokia both released apps for that. While not the best implementation either, it brought a feature that did not exist natively to their phones to make the experience better for some of their users.

HTC rarely(if ever) has really gone above and beyond to offer their users anything. I think prior to the HTC One, their most notable app was a Flashlight app and that clock thing? ood for them.

Now let's look at updates while also being camera centric

A. Amber brought
-Glance(A fan Favorite of all Lumia devices which is why they complain when a Lumia lacks this feature...I sort of see why after switching to the iPhones)

-Flip to mute

- Call Block/Sms Block(A very useful and built in feature I love with my Lumia)

-Lumia Color Profile

B. Black Brought
-Updated Glance Screen support(Again a Nokia fan favorite feature)
-Nokia bveamer(I don't use this app but it is obviously something for someone who does that didn't exist prior for WP)

-Nokia Storyteller App

-Folders Support(Before Windows Phone 8.1 had folders)

Camera Centric that did not presently exist with Windows Phone
- Nokia Refocus
- Nokia Camera App
-RAW DNG support

C. Cyan Brought

-Updated Creative Studio
-Updated Nokia Camera
-Updated Storyteller
-Nokia Device Hub
-Miracast Support
-Rich Recording

D. Denim Brings
-4k Video Support
Updated glance
- Hey Cortana( This feature has yet to be announced to coming to any Non Nokia windows phone)
-Rich Capture(I think the M8 windows has HDR already on it, but added onto to the power of Nokia cameras likely means it'll be even better with Lumias)

Denim actually is the only one of the 4 updates that has the most camera centric features coming to it. Regardless if they are bug fixes or camera centric, each of these 4 updates not to mention Nokia's App suite over the last 2 years is what has gotten them the dedication and support of MOST windows phone users.

It shows that they truly invested in the platform and when the OS was lacking, they brought things we lacked and needed. And they built-upon things we already had(Nokia camera is better than Microsoft's default camera for example).

Much like diehard Android fan will recommend Nexus devices for you to get the priority and dedication of Google support over other Android phones, a Lumia owner will do the same. And it is why I am so glad that Microsoft owns Lumia now and I hope they continue to offer a Premium and Unique experience.

We'll also ignore the fact that HTC's older Windows Phones also had known issues(Such as the Radar's camera, the Titan's Mic issues, Major Wifi Issues on some of their models, etc etc) that most users reported as never being fixed or acknowledged. In most cases, most issues with Lumias usually do have some kind of response from Lumia that they try to fix.

The M8 is the FIRST windows phone HTC has put out in 2 years that has the potential to show they do mean business but as it stands, I am unsure about them and with their anemic camera as well as questionable support...Notice it is taking over 7 months for the original 8x and 8s to get their updates, no HTC is not someone I'd use as a daily driver or recommend to anyone especially when there are Lumias who are better supported and better represented that offer more for Value :)

So no HTC is not a valid choice for me or most people on WC because most of us want we experienced with Lumia and we refuse to look elsewhere and that is HTC's fault. After being the darling of WP in the early days, they screwed that up and even when they release a good phone like the M8, it's unfortunate that they wont get the attention it deserves.

Let's also forget the fact they released this phone nearly 6 months later as a Rehash and they have since introduced some key features to their android line(The Desire Eye) and Re cam that are likely not coming to WP version as well as the WP version isn't even a 100 percent rehash. It lacks certain things still.
Let's be fair here. What did cyan bring us? Bluetooth LE, which should have been supported in the first place. Sensorcore, which basically applies only to new devices, which should have supported it in the first place. Miracast, which should have been supported TWO YEARS AGO, but was instead arbitrarily roped off for newer devices only.

Many users claim battery life is better, but I've never seen actual proof (users posting charts of before and after), and this is not one of the listed features of cyan. I have severe doubts about the validity of most battery life claims. I personally did not see a drop in battery life with 8.1, nor an increase with cyan.

So what did most people actually get from cyan? Camera improvements. The only thing I can think of that amber did was add camera improvements, and enable glance (which should have been a feature supporting phones launched with). Denim is, you guessed it, sporting camera updates.

Now lets see the impact not getting these updates have on the HTC One: Well, since it's shipping with all of its features enabled (having come from an OS that used them and so no last minute updates are going to be required to activate certain hardware), that means the only "updates" one misses out on is for the camera. If you're leaving Nokia, then camera quality isn't as important to you.

There are no claims, unsubstantiated or otherwise, that the One needs a firmware refresh to improve battery life.

Lumia updates apply to Lumia hardware. If you don't have Lumia hardware, you don't need the update. QED, you're not missing out on much for your device.

The dev preview is where all the real updates are. I have not encountered an issue with any of the 6 devices I put the dev preview on; none that I couldn't fix myself. Nothing is "buggy", there are only conflicts with your specific device.

Would I like to see an update to dotview once in a blue moon, like glance gets? Yeah. Is the lack of that alone going to support the argument "HTC isn't worth getting because they don't support the OS"? No.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Telling someone there is Developer Preview is not helpful...
Developer preview is a good idea for those who use it and want the newest features fast but was it Samsung or HTC who actually had to RESTRICT THEIR devices because DP was causing issues for their devices. SO again just because you or myself may never have any issues with DP, doesn't mean that there isn't issues. Especially since it is not optimized software and can be buggy or possibly disastrous for some people.

I'd recommend Lumia Icon users to try out DP due to the poor way Verizon treated them(That doesnt help with CYAN) but it's not something people should live by. You should choose the carrier and the OEm you know is likely going to push the update to your phones. I am trying to see if any present day Lumia is lacking Cyan....you know it is bad when Samsung and ATT release WP 8.1 for their devices. SAMSUNG....before HTC.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Everything you mentioned is either Lumia specific and does not apply to non Lumia HW, or is something the One already has. See my above post for my response to that.
I'm not an owner of the HTC One. After much thought, I've decided I will buy it when my contract renews. Your attempt to paint me as an owner in denial over a device's faults are juvenile and not amusing. You've rudely laughed at my position and yet were unable to counter with any substantial argument- in fact what you've said was a mostly unrelated dump of information that you seem to think justifies looking down on anyone who doesn't choose Lumia.
You do realize this means you are a part of the problem HTC faces, right?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Nobody is looking down on you lol. I do think Lumia is better(As do most users) . Never once did I say anyone who buys a Non-lumia is beneath me nor am I better for buying a Lumia.

In the end, we all are windows phone users which is why I find it hilarious that people get so defensive if you criticize a phone because despite my opinion, in the end even with its small relevance the M8 will help...a little bit at least with Market share.

My response above was to counter that all the updates of Nokia are strictly camera centric. You're right they don't apply to anything but Lumia, I never said that they didn't.

But considering features like "hey Cortana" has yet to be announced for Non-lumia hardware and from the wording sounds like it only will be a Lumia thing and not to mention other features in the past updates(Amber-Cyan) that improved the OS or added features, I was merely explaining why I recommend Lumia over anything else.

I've used Nexus devices and if someone wanted a TRUE ANDROID experience, I'd recommend a Nexus over a GS5 or the mainstream android devices. Same with Lumia.

As much as I enjoy a good debate, especially one about the M8, I am exhausted today lol. So i'll have to pass on a back and forth with you about the M8, mostly because it's the same redundant responses back and forth lol.

I am not apart of any problem. If HTC(or Samsung or any other OEM) wants to be relevant enough to be a viable choice instead of ignored, then give us consumers a reason why and faith in them. Rebuild bridges they burned and do better.

Motorola managed to do it with Android and HTC sort of did it with Android even if they are still largely irrelevant still today in Android world(in comparison to how they used to be the former king).

HTC is the problem as HTC is the very reason people went from supporting them to not supporting them and only SETTLING because there are no high end Lumias out.

Enjoy your M8 windows when you get it. I had to use one and it wasn't an awful device. I suppose if I wasn't into Lumia and the Camera didn't bother me, I'd own HTC :) I just know and have used better phones(Lumia).
Everything you mentioned is either Lumia specific and does not apply to non Lumia HW, or is something the One already has. See my above post for my response to that.
I'm not an owner of the HTC One. After much thought, I've decided I will buy it when my contract renews. Your attempt to paint me as an owner in denial over a device's faults are juvenile and not amusing. You've rudely laughed at my position and yet were unable to counter with any substantial argument- in fact what you've said was a mostly unrelated dump of information that you seem to think justifies looking down on anyone who doesn't choose Lumia.
You do realize this means you are a part of the problem HTC faces, right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)