12-16-2014 07:57 PM
37 12
tools
    Depends on what market you're referring to. In the US it's all flagships for the most part due to contracts. In the UK it's a mix bag as well as most of the EU.
    US isnt the biggest market for phones right now,asian countries like china and india are the largest followed by european countries such as the UK

I do get your points in a way though,a flagship is needed to show off features of the OS but keep in mind that worldwide,most people will concentrate on buying mid rangers
    Markmyw0rds likes this.
    12-16-2014 09:13 AM
    US isnt the biggest market for phones right now,asian countries like china and india are the largest followed by european countries such as the UK

I do get your points in a way though,a flagship is needed to show off features of the OS but keep in mind that worldwide,most people will concentrate on buying mid rangers
    You forget that MS is a US based company and wants a very large piece of it. They've set up their services to work best with the US market. I'm in the UK and have none of the perks the US has. I don't think MS had much interest in going to the emerging markets as their OS was not optimized for it. Nokia is who pushed it that way.

There's nothing wrong with providing good mid range phones and good low end phones but to succeed in the higher bracket is where the money is. They want a large share in the US they need a phone to do it. That goes for the UK and other EU markets as well.
    12-16-2014 09:20 AM
    I don't think MS had much interest in going to the emerging markets as their OS was not optimized for it. Nokia is who pushed it that way
    actually they are concentrating on India and China as well now
    they just bought a spectrum share in India to provide free internet to all,skype landline calls to USA and canada are free for 3 months now
    they are starting official microsoft showrooms in India now,they have already have a retail store on Amazon India
    Markmyw0rds likes this.
    12-16-2014 09:50 AM
    They've set up their services to work best with the US market. I'm in the UK and have none of the perks the US has.
    not really they have been concentrating on other markets equally,dunno about UK though
    only bing rewards is missing now
    Markmyw0rds likes this.
    12-16-2014 09:51 AM
    For all those saying it is good to focus on low and mid range phones only... I remember my first days with android (back to 2.1 eclair) when it wasn't the dominant OS yet. All the media attention was on the flagships and there were heaps of them, of course there were also low and mid end devices (that performed painfully bad), but the flagships drew the attention of the public on the platform. Everybody was talking about the Droid, then the Desire/Nexus and the first Galaxy, the media kept saying how good and capable they were and people started thinking that everything Android was great. So, in my opinion, flagship devices are badly needed for WP to succeed. Waiting for W10 is a logical move but it means that many customers will move to something else in the meantime. My contract is due in June and if there's nothing new on this front I'll have to switch. I just don't want to get a 930 in June (it'll be one year old) and stick with it for 30 months.
    12-16-2014 10:14 AM
    For all those saying it is good to focus on low and mid range phones only... I remember my first days with android (back to 2.1 eclair) when it wasn't the dominant OS yet. All the media attention was on the flagships and there were heaps of them, of course there were also low and mid end devices (that performed painfully bad), but the flagships drew the attention of the public on the platform. Everybody was talking about the Droid, then the Desire/Nexus and the first Galaxy, the media kept saying how good and capable they were and people started thinking that everything Android was great. So, in my opinion, flagship devices are badly needed for WP to succeed. Waiting for W10 is a logical move but it means that many customers will move to something else in the meantime. My contract is due in June and if there's nothing new on this front I'll have to switch. I just don't want to get a 930 in June (it'll be one year old) and stick with it for 30 months.
    Agreed.

Also, Icon = L930, released Feb 2014, so almost 1 1/2yrs old by then.
    Evronian likes this.
    12-16-2014 10:24 AM
    I don't know how much more of a beating this poor dead horse can take. Somebody call PETA.
    Evronian and a5cent like this.
    12-16-2014 10:26 AM
    I don't know how much more of a beating this poor dead horse can take. Somebody call PETA.
    I personally wouldn't call PETA but that's a whole other story. :P
    12-16-2014 10:36 AM
    For all those saying it is good to focus on low and mid range phones only... I remember my first days with android (back to 2.1 eclair) when it wasn't the dominant OS yet. All the media attention was on the flagships and there were heaps of them, of course there were also low and mid end devices (that performed painfully bad), but the flagships drew the attention of the public on the platform. Everybody was talking about the Droid, then the Desire/Nexus and the first Galaxy, the media kept saying how good and capable they were and people started thinking that everything Android was great. So, in my opinion, flagship devices are badly needed for WP to succeed.
    That's a valid point.
    matt john2 and Evronian like this.
    12-16-2014 11:04 AM
    this makes sense!!
    Evronian likes this.
    12-16-2014 12:02 PM
    I personally wouldn't call PETA but that's a whole other story. :P
    PETA, Greenpeace - whoever! Somebody's gotta care about dead horses and not just whales.
    Laura Knotek, tgp, a5cent and 1 others like this.
    12-16-2014 12:27 PM
    Microsoft is probably focused on low end to midrange devices to draw people towards Windows Phone so once people get a taste of it they would be interested in buying a higher end device
    12-16-2014 07:57 PM
37 12