Microsoft needs to make the high-end Windows Phone market

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I am one of the many Lumia 920 users disappointed with the utter lack of a compelling successor. I think Microsoft dropped the ball on this one (just as it did with missing the mid-range boat in 2013 and messing it up with the Lumia 830's pricing).

On the other hand, I also get the rationale behind putting high-end Lumia devices to the backburner, they're tough to sell. Fair. But that doesn't mean Microsoft should just drop the ball entirely. It can moderate the situation by streamlining the high-end Lumia line down to 3 core devices designed for specific audiences and market strategies.

First, a Lumia 9xx device designed to be a superb all-rounder possessing the latest technology, best specs and admirable design and styling ideas. This could be the mass-market device for Q4 periods whereby Microsoft could comfortably push a balanced device to carriers all over the world. This could be the *only* high-end Lumia worthy of carrier adoption and released once on an annual basis.

Second, a Lumia 10xx device envisaged as a niche device for mobile photographers. Microsoft need not worry about pricing or carrier availability, it should only produce a limited stock and sell it directly to consumers via its Microsoft Stores and dealers eager to push the device. This could be released in Q1 to help drive mindshare to the platform in an otherwise dry quarter.

Third, a Lumia 15xx device for the professional. Market this device as a phablet, give it a Wacom active digitizer and possibly other device-exclusive technology (e.g. the ability to push a desktop if wirelessly connected to a special Microsoft monitor). Again, like the 10xx, position it as a niche device that is offered directly to consumers at off-contract pricing.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
And the hits keep on coming lol I agree somewhat with you :) MS should have launched a high-end phone instead of just a few mid-end phones, but I can understand why they decided no to launch any high-end phones (if my theory is correct anyways). It makes a lot more sense to launch high-end phone closer or during the actual launch of w10. I think that's the plan here

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I hope you are both right and that is their reasoning. I also hope this push for the low in is a sound strategy and it works. Otherwise they are going to look awful stupid if their share goes even lower.

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
What Microsoft need is to give customers a reason to get a windows phone over android or ios. At this point as a Windows PC user I cannot think of a single benefit of going to Windows Phone but I can think of many reasons why it wouldn't be beneficial. All the Microsoft software is on android.

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I have been waiting to switch to Windows from Android for 6 months now. I can wait until march/april but not another year.

Lol im happy to see that you're willing to wait until mid next year, because that is most likely when we'll be getting news on new devices... But rest assured MS won't go through 2015 without a flagship phone lol.. Most savy WP users think that they're just waiting for W10 launch and that seems like a reasonable theory

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I have been waiting to switch to Windows from Android for 6 months now. I can wait until march/april but not another year.
Rumor is late spring the 940 will be released. 805 snapdragon. 32, 65, and 128 gb varients. And thinner than the 930. With wp10. I don't know that I believe the wp10 part as past rumors centered on an announcement next Nov. But its supposed to be a supply chain leak.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Rumor is late spring the 940 will be released. 805 snapdragon. 32, 65, and 128 gb varients. And thinner than the 930. With wp10. I don't know that I believe the wp10 part as past rumors centered on an announcement next Nov. But its supposed to be a supply chain leak.

How I would love for that rumor to be true..

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I am one of the many Lumia 920 users disappointed with the utter lack of a compelling successor. I think Microsoft dropped the ball on this one (just as it did with missing the mid-range boat in 2013 and messing it up with the Lumia 830's pricing).

On the other hand, I also get the rationale behind putting high-end Lumia devices to the backburner, they're tough to sell. Fair. But that doesn't mean Microsoft should just drop the ball entirely. It can moderate the situation by streamlining the high-end Lumia line down to 3 core devices designed for specific audiences and market strategies.

First, a Lumia 9xx device designed to be a superb all-rounder possessing the latest technology, best specs and admirable design and styling ideas. This could be the mass-market device for Q4 periods whereby Microsoft could comfortably push a balanced device to carriers all over the world. This could be the *only* high-end Lumia worthy of carrier adoption and released once on an annual basis.

Second, a Lumia 10xx device envisaged as a niche device for mobile photographers. Microsoft need not worry about pricing or carrier availability, it should only produce a limited stock and sell it directly to consumers via its Microsoft Stores and dealers eager to push the device. This could be released in Q1 to help drive mindshare to the platform in an otherwise dry quarter.

Third, a Lumia 15xx device for the professional. Market this device as a phablet, give it a Wacom active digitizer and possibly other device-exclusive technology (e.g. the ability to push a desktop if wirelessly connected to a special Microsoft monitor). Again, like the 10xx, position it as a niche device that is offered directly to consumers at off-contract pricing.

How many of these will be sold? few thousands? Lumia 530 is a superb device which would increase marketshare and help it reach critical mass to help clsoe the "app gap" and before W10 it doesnt make sense to launch a flagship. wait for an year, even if it means MS will lose some consumers but they are a minority MS can afford to lose n hope to gain back soon later

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You need the high end to drive the low end. High end is there for attention. Low end is there for the sales numbers.
Once you get the attention the customers start looking. With the attention theres also knowledge of the platform.

Do you hear anything about Galaxy S5 mini or alpha or whatever the hell their low end is called? nope. They don't market those other than to throw into an ad with a low price on it, and to give it the brand so it can sit next to the big brother and look like the cheaper version of it. But everyone knows that a galaxy S5 is awesome so they must have one. So when they look and maybe they realize the S5 is too expensive or too big or something, they start looking down the galaxy range and then find the cheap model. They don't think 'oh the Galaxy S5 is too expensive, im gonna look at cheap lumias' they're more likely to go 'oh galaxy S5 is too expensive, I wonder what else they have that more fits what im looking for?"

The low end just gets overlooked unless you are specifically looking for something cheap. And IMO when you're looking for cheap you're either looking for bang for the buck or you don't really care what it is as long as its cheap.

xjjon

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Also I think the US since most people still buying phones with contract, the subsidy makes people want to go for mid / high-end phones. Not the low end lumia.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Also I think the US since most people still buying phones with contract, the subsidy makes people want to go for mid / high-end phones. Not the low end lumia.

yeah the contract situation makes the high end more appealing. What would you rather have? a 200 dollar Lumia 630 or a 200 dollar galaxy s5?

you're still paying month to month on whatever the plan is in both cases, but you'll be stuck with the galaxy for 2 years and im pretty sure the masses don't mind that (hey I get an awesome phone for two years!).

Anyone who wants to buy a flagship status phone outright are not looking for a low end phone, and they probably know all about the galaxies, iphones, HTCs, sony's, lumias, etc so theres no point marketing to the because they are the techies who know what they want, and they want the latest and greatest (or at least the latest and greatest most cost effective).

So that leaves only the market that really doesn't care what they get as long as its cheap.

That's why they need the high end which they seem to be avoiding right now. Their brand is just gonna end up being that 'cheap brand' that just blends into the background.

when I walk into a store, I want to go check out the Galaxy S5, the iPhone6, the HTC One M8, the LG G3, the Sony Xperia Z3, the Lumia 830 (this is mainly cuz I have a Lumia 930 and want to compare) and the HTC one M8 for Windows. I am just walking past all those prepaid and low end cheap phones. But I may take a look after ogling over the flagships for a bit.

ablahblah

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I wish we would get a hero device at some point. Android getting them churned out, the Galaxy note had its pen, Edge has its curved screen, the Xperia Z is waterproof, Galaxy Camera has a telescoping optic built into the frame, G-Flex is bendy, etc. etc. Imo the only thing we've had in WP8 is the 1020's crazy camera. Besides that, I feel like the 930, Icon, 1520, etc. are basically the budget phones, but with better processors, displays, etc.. Otherwise, basically the same device.

WP7 started out with hero phones. There was the
- Surround (arguably didn't work that well, but still interesting)
- 7 Pro/Arrive (frippen loved that thing's keyboard)
- other keyboard phones, Venue, Quantum, etc. etc.
Then I feel like it just kind of drafted down to candy bar phones with a volume switch, power button, and camera button. Confused :S

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
How many of these will be sold? few thousands? Lumia 530 is a superb device which would increase marketshare and help it reach critical mass to help clsoe the "app gap" and before W10 it doesnt make sense to launch a flagship. wait for an year, even if it means MS will lose some consumers but they are a minority MS can afford to lose n hope to gain back soon later

What world are you living in?

When there's so much as a whisper of a new flagship on this forum it goes mental. This tells me the fans are ready for a new flagship phone and many will buy one if it's a flagship they want. When the L930 came out everyone just went 'meh' no thanks. That was the issue.

Large numbers of people using low end hardware is not going to attract developers. MS needs to attract good numbers from everywhere. To do that they need to get a decent flagship phone out. It will help if they get W10 with some good dev support when it comes out.

As for the app gap, that is an issue that is sticking around and regardless how anyone feels, 3rd party is not a good look for WP.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Complete malarkey, with a fluke bullseye every few paragraphs. Publish enough made up stuff and just by chance you're bound to be right about something, once in a while.

I really do hope they change the naming system... :/

Yes those 'rumoured' devices are simply that.

Status
Not open for further replies.