Hey Microsoft, if you want to be a Software giant?

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey all!

The point of this post is so I can share my current thoughts about Microsoft software in mobile space to you guys and Microsoft, please feel free to add anything you want. Let it all out lol :) so there we go

And let me remember you that this "Apps for everyone" is Microsoft's idea, I just support it now.

First of all English is not my native language so feel free to fix me.

I was thinking about Microsoft and Windows everything.., what Microsoft is up to now, about all that Mobile first Cloud first world. which means Microsoft software - apps are present on any OS, and not just Windows Phone hardware

Now that Microsoft Owns Lumia Apps, Microsoft Apps for Windows Phone and Windows like Movie Creator, Cortana, Lumia Camera, Lockscreens, Health, etc.. And so on and on. Why not just make all these apps an OS apps - (Apps related to Windows OS, Microsoft Apps), Windows Phone preinstalled apps which you get on any Windows Phone you buy, all OEMS. Maybe even Android and iOS, Let the world know about Microsoft Software. Gain a new Awesome reputation. Color "Microsoft" name as Awesome and Fun in every direction.

However now about the Lumia apps I think they could be Microsoft apps available to all WPs, Windows instead of just Lumias,.. like Google Camera, Google Photos, Google that and that, you're not forced to buy a Nexus to have Google exclusives. they even have their apps on iOS. I'd love Google Camera on Windows lol.. that's another story.. just saying as an example.

Microsoft shouldn't even make hardware.. but then who would make our Beautiful Lumias? That's what they got into.. They did save Windows Phone and Nokia phones to stick to WP, but now they are a Software provider that makes hardware, making them direct competitor to all other Smartphone OEMs.. I now understand why Satya, Bill and such didn't support that deal. To be honest I think for that time it was right for us, but what now is another question.. if WP had OEMs doing all the job for them, then maybe Lumia could be like a Nexus is to Google. What do you think about that?

I own a Windows Phone, and I would never think that I would think that way, however when you start thinking more wide it opens up to you. Its just phones.. Doesn't matter who makes them, it's about Software experience. And all this Microsoft new moves actually made me think Why not? I now actually prefer Microsoft software to the hardware.. Like now on Android, you can use Everything Google on all phones, not just Nexus. I see it as a good thing. Thats probably why they are thinking like this. I even use MS apps on my Nexus. OneDrive all the way! :)

And about OEMs I think you must open up a bit, people loves diffrent things, let the OEM use their own unique Design on Windows Phone, their own features, MORE FEATURES, MORE GRAPHICS, MORE EFFECTS, MORE COLOR, MORE WHATEVER AN OEM WANTS ON A PHONE TO REPRESENT THEIR COMPANY. So people can actually have options out there. WHY? cos currently they can do a lot more customisation on the inside with Android than with WP that looks the same on every device. They can't represent their own design, some of their app's features, even Hardware support.. So how are they going to get people on board? Now if you think about getting a WP, what do you think about.. A Lumia yes..which doesn't help again.. - on Windows 10 however there is not much of a need for custom look, but I think it could be done.

And yes I hope to see a REAL WALLPAPER - (Desktop style and not just Livetile background) on Windows 10. YEAH THAT'S THE FIRST THING ALL PEOPLE SAY WHEN THEY SEE A WINDOWS PHONE. And Indeed all the new Windows Experience we are about to get. We're all counting on you Microsoft. Forums are full of posts like this.

WE BELIEVE IN YOU MICROSOFT, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF TOO

Since Microsoft reads Windows Central forums..

I need objective comments.

Last edited:

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey all!

The point of this post is so I can share my current thoughts about Microsoft software in mobile space to you guys and Microsoft, please feel free to add anything you want. Let it all out lol :) so there we go

First of all English is not my native language so feel free to fix me.

I was thinking about Microsoft and Windows everything.., what Microsoft is up to now, about all that Mobile first Cloud first world.

Now that Microsoft Owns Lumia Apps, Microsoft Apps for Windows Phone and Windows like Movie Creator, Cortana, Lumia Camera, Lockscreens, Health, etc.. And so on and on. Why not just make all these apps an OS apps, Windows Phone preinstalled apps which you get on any Windows Phone you buy, all OEMS. Maybe even Android and iOS, Let the world know about Microsoft Software. Gain a new Awesome reputation. Color "Microsoft" name as Awesome and Fun in every direction.

I own a Windows Phone, and I would never think that I would think that way, however when you start thinking more wide it opens up to you. Its just phones.. Doesn't matter who makes them, it's about Software experience. And all this Microsoft new moves actually made me think Why not? I now actually prefer Microsoft software to the hardware.. Like now on Android, you can use Everything Google on all phones, not just Nexus. I see it as a good thing. Thats probably why they are thinking like this. I even use MS apps on my Nexus. OneDrive all the way! :)

And about OEMs I think you must open up a bit, people loves diffrent things, let the OEM use their own unique Design on Windows Phone, their own features, MORE FEATURES, MORE GRAPHICS, MORE EFFECTS, MORE COLOR, MORE WHATEVER AN OEM WANTS ON A PHONE TO REPRESENT THEIR COMPANY. So people can actually have options out there.

And yes I hope to see a REAL WALLPAPER on Windows 10. YEAH THAT'S THE FIRST THING ALL PEOPLE SAY WHEN THEY SEE A WINDOWS PHONE. And Indeed all the new Windows Experience we are about to get. We're all counting on you Microsoft. Forums are full of posts like this.

WE BELIEVE IN YOU MICROSOFT, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF TOO.

you are talking as if MS is a startup and you want it to become a software giant.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am really not sure what your point is but it is not about language barriers. Microsoft is the largest and most profitable software company on the planet. As to having apps on all platforms that is obviously what they are already doing, in spite of the fact that people around here seem to want to whine about it. In fact, the Office for iPhone and iPad apps were downloaded I believe 40 million times in a few days and immediately vaulted to the most popular apps in the store.

I am also not sure what version of Windows does not have wallpaper. I don't run Windows 10, which is an early beta, but have had wallpapers on every Windows device I have owned in a decade and every Windows 8 Phone in my possession. On the phones, the first people things see (if they care to) are examples of some of my landscape photography on the lock screen and as the background on the start screen. What am I missing?

With respect OEMs, they can do what they want - Microsoft also didn't fare too well more than a decade ago when the got tied up in anti-trust cases largely over trying to control the environment to their own advantage. Finally, no, please don't ever make more apps part of the OS. Personally, I would rather see even less of that in the future. The essential reason why upgrades to Office for ios and Android have happened but an upgrade to Office for WP is months off (source of much whining around here) is it is embedded in WP which makes it much more difficult to easily upgrade and, with the Windows 10 OS for phones under development, not practical to do in the present tense.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I definitely do not want to allow OEM's to skin WP to their liking. In fact, it is one of the things I really hate about android. In addition, the skinned tiles are unique and much better in my view than wall paper background. If you wanted to allow both, I would be cool with that, but the idea of replacing what we have now with transparent tiles, nope. I am not a fan of that idea at all. Furthermore, making apps part of the OS has created more problems than it has helped. I get the idea of allowing apps to integrate more completely by having them tied more closely to the OS, but this has backfired in that it is difficult to update them or fix problems since an OS update has to be pushed out for this to happen. If the carriers don't play along, we are pretty much screwed. They need to find another way to integrate across apps, and within the OS, but still have the apps be part of the WP store so that they can be updated rapidly and problems can be addressed quickly without having to push out an entire OS update to do it.

If MS really wants to be the king of software, when it comes to mobile platforms, they should start by making sure the user experience on WP and their tablets, is the best out of the box that it can be. This means having the best apps (facebook, office, skype, one drive, etc.) making sure things like the music player is the best it can be (we all know xbox music sucks out loud), that there are no bugs and screwups when new updates come out, and that the OS is optimized for niche products like tablets, phablets, etc.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Since this is just an idea of the current CEO and not me, I just agree with it. It's not about hardware, its about software, THEY DO NOT HOLD MOBILE SPACE LIKE GOOGLE.

Man, or is it my english or you guys don't know what is Microsoft doing right now.. Like better apps on Android, and I don't blame them anymore.. I even like it that I can use their apps over Google's.

Yeah they are doing it and I support that, but majority of people here get crazy about it. I know it sucks when you get better experience on Android for example over your own Windows Phone. What I wrote here is, that maybe if they would make even more apps, now with "Nokia" people in Microsoft, they could make them "Microsoft Camera".. and so on, instead of making thousands of Lumia exlusives, which are not going to help them by one bit.. Thats my point. Just like Google, I mean in this year, they make apps for all androids, and not just their Nexus (Nexus specific).

By OS apps I meant Windows Apps (Apps that are related to this Operating System) or Microsoft apps, those which are always preinstalled on every Windows device no matter what OEM. Not built in apps.
About the wallpaper, yeah I forgot it's just Windows what we are getting in 10. I meant that cos of the current Windows Phone.. It's a Livetile background not a Wallpaper like on every other OS.

Yeah, but majority of people doesn't really like Windows Phone cos of that.. They want too see things like on Android, OEM specific look, customisations.. at least an option. And by OS Apps I meant, apps that are specific to Windows, therefore "Microsoft" Apps instead of thousands of Lumia exlusives that doesn't really help. Thats why only Microsoft makes Windows Phones XD.. yah..

And the problem about Windows phones and tablets is that Microsoft it self rather makes apps for iOS and Android.. That's why I really hope Windows 10 is bloody amazing. Otherwise I think that lots of people will just switch. And if people switch, at least they can still use Microsoft Apps.. All of them

Last edited by a moderator:

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but majority of people doesn't really like Windows Phone cos of that.. They want too see things like on Android, OEM specific look, customisations.. at least an option. And by OS Apps I meant, apps that are specific to Windows, therefore "Microsoft" Apps instead of thousands of Lumia exlusives that doesn't really help. Thats why only Microsoft makes Windows Phones XD.. yah..

And the problem about Windows phones and tablets is that Microsoft it self rather makes apps for iOS and Android.. That's why I really hope Windows 10 is bloody amazing. Otherwise I think that lots of people will just switch. And if people switch, at least they can still use Microsoft Apps.. All of them

I think you're wrong. They put adios in other OS to make money to support future development. Cortana on other phones will only make Bing and Cortana stronger. After all, this is a business, business want to make money. Windows phone will not go away, it's a major price of their vision of the future.

Windows 8 is already amazing, windows 10 is Windows 8 with a start menu added to it, and an ability to sense what mode to operate in. That's really it, it IS essentially the same OS. People want new, when they get it they want old, when they get old they complain it's not innovative anymore.

If anyone has put any time or effort into 'learning' windows 8, they would soon realize it's much faster to launch programs than ever before.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Big, bold fonts don't emphasize your message as much as you'd think.
It's meant to make it more rememberable lol. So you know I'm talking about let say "MS software in ->Mobile<- space and not desktops.

I think you're wrong. They put adios in other OS to make money to support future development. Cortana on other phones will only make Bing and Cortana stronger. After all, this is a business, business want to make money. Windows phone will not go away, it's a major price of their vision of the future.

Windows 8 is already amazing, windows 10 is Windows 8 with a start menu added to it, and an ability to sense what mode to operate in. That's really it, it IS essentially the same OS. People want new, when they get it they want old, when they get old they complain it's not innovative anymore.

If anyone has put any time or effort into 'learning' windows 8, they would soon realize it's much faster to launch programs than ever before.

1. Wrong about what? "I think you're wrong. They put adios in other OS to make money to support future development." What do you mean by that?

2. Yeah I agree, I like Windows 8.1.1, its perfect, just getting even better now with 10. I must edit my post about that.. with Windows 10 (looking exactly like on the Tablet, PC.. really doesn't need a custom look. I was thinking more about current Windows Phone versions. I keep forgetting that Windows 10 on a phone will finally look the way I want.

3. I know ..

Last edited by a moderator:

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah they are doing it and I support that, but majority of people here get crazy about it. I know it sucks when you get better experience on Android for example over your own Windows Phone. What I wrote here is, that maybe if they would make even more apps, now with "Nokia" people in Microsoft, they could make them "Microsoft Camera".. and so on, instead of making thousands of Lumia exlusives, which are not going to help them by one bit.. Thats my point. Just like Google, I mean in this year, they make apps for all androids, and not just their Nexus (Nexus specific).

By OS apps I meant Windows Apps (Apps that are related to this Operating System) or Microsoft apps, those which are always preinstalled on every Windows device no matter what OEM. Not built in apps.
About the wallpaper, yeah I forgot it's just Windows what we are getting in 10. I meant that cos of the current Windows Phone.. It's a Livetile background not a Wallpaper like on every other OS.

They also make OS and not just software, They need their OS to succeed and it needs exclusives.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
They also make OS and not just software, They need their OS to succeed and it needs exclusives.
That's why I REALLY hope that Windows 10 is plain Amazing, working perfectly, super smooth, and Developer friendly. There would be no problem with exclusives if Microsoft could actually afford to have them. And you know exclusives, I'm pretty sure people get crazy about it when they can't have it. - those who own a Windows Phone, but not a Lumia.. It's all Microsoft now, so I think they could make apps for everyone. I don't really like the idea that they bought Nokia hardware department, but I agree that this saves Microsoft some time with WP I guess.. Now that they are all under the same name.. it should be Microsoft apps instead of Lumia apps.. I love Lumia apps, and I love Windows Phone, but what if I want to own a HTC and such? then people are forced to buy Lumias all the way. On the other hand Google doesn't force you to buy Nexus for their apps. :D Thats my point.

Last edited:

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Lumia software needs firmware to work. Also, whenever we get HTC Apps or Samsung Apps on our devices then yeah, maybe Microsoft can share theirs

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Lumia software needs firmware to work. Also, whenever we get HTC Apps or Samsung Apps on our devices then yeah, maybe Microsoft can share theirs

Yeah that's true. They made it really complicated. As they are now just Microsoft they could just add things to the OS and not bother with firmwares. Yeah but the problem is that Lumia is actually their hardware line.. It's was a 50% 50% move that they bought that from Nokia.. I mean, they did save Nokia (now Microsoft Mobile) to stick to WP, therefore keeps users on WP instead of Nokia making Androids. However a software giant shouldn't make hardware.. Like Google bought Motorola, but then sold it to for their own good. Lumia should be to Microsoft like a Nexus is to Google. And Satya and Bill probably agrees with me. They didn't support buying of Nokia. I now understand why.

Last edited:

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Thoughts so.. But not against Google in mobile space.. And yes it's getting fixed by better MS apps on Android than WP :D, I like it :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster