Boohoo - I'm a "Windows Central" forum user

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree. I started hanging out here a bit ago and I feel like most threads are complaining. I'd much rather be discussing cool things WP can do, or have hypothetical discussions or help people with questions than complain.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree. I started hanging out here a bit ago and I feel like most threads are complaining. I'd much rather be discussing cool things WP can do, or have hypothetical discussions or help people with questions than complain.

This guy gets it!!!

Micah obviously found that another platform would serve him better, and that's great. I know he has been a staunch defender of WP in the past, and was ultimately roasted for defending it by other users. I have no time for these people. They always know better when they quite clearly don't.
They say that they want WP to stay as it is, then wax lyrical about features that should be added from the 'competing' platforms. Hypocrisy of the highest order!!!

WP IS a simple OS. It's just a shame that the simple minded cannot grasp the fundamentals.... Only one thing to know, if in doubt... Press and hold.... Oh look, more options.

Anyway, I will drop in from time time to check the news, and also check to see if any intelligent comments, or true help pops up in these forums.
But basically I'm done wading through the reams of self pity and constant talk of 'flagship' devices not being available (try Android if you want the next shiny, shiny...)
Peace and good luck to the true and helpful users on here... The word for today is FUN!!!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you :) I have and still am a big supporter and defender of windows Phone.

Truth is...Windows Phone is what I want but it feels good to be on an OS that just works. Aside from still learning(it's only been 12 hours), I have not problems with usability(trust me there are quite a few annoyances of ios). I really have no clue what I am going to do and end up with but to be honest my 1520 is what I miss. This 6 plus feels tiny in my hand and it's only .5 inches smaller. And to think, I almost considered the normal 6 since it came in 64 and they only had 16 GB storage plus.

Literally I miss the ginormous size of my 1520 lol.

Back onto WP, the OS is simple. The os is great. It's beautiful and I absolutely love it. But spending time in the Att store with Android phones, I realized

One....I hate Android royally. It just bothers me. I played with the Galaxy Note and aside from an AMAZING screen, the phone still feels laggy as hell despite being a high end product.

But Two....The OS just works and it goes above & beyond what we can do on WIndows Phone.

Same with IOS.....There are little small things that I don't even think was relevant(i'll be making a few posts on various things I'd love to see on Windows Phone from IOS) until I saw them on IOS.

That's the point I am trying to make. I am probably one of the biggest Windows Phone fans on this site. I even outright give Lumia/Nokia/MS more leeway than they deserve sometimes because I truly want to believe in MS that they know what they are doing and I truly want Lumia to be the best. I don't like that I am having to choose better enriched and integrated software over my preferred UI and hardware.

I can deal with low quality apps(and let's be real, WP apps are lower quality in a lot of cases). What I can't make excuses for is Windows Phone's shortcomings and the wait till this update, wait till that update. Windows Phone 8 will save us, Windows Phone 8.1 will save us...Windows 10 is a gamechanger.

HTC is going to get the OS on point(LOL at that).

I am not saying that I am staying with IOS. In fact up until 2 hours ago, I was saying that I want my 1520 back. And I still do but the moment I stopped missing my WP, I realized that this OS works(I just hate the UI...I miss my tiles).

Windows Phone does so many great things. I miss IE....But I refuse to use Chrome or Firefox so safari it is. Yet so many things feel so half-baked.

The notification center bothers me on WP....redundant and over excess of notifications. It bothers me less on IOS because you can do more with them.

There is so much whining on this site but to be honest, I don't even BLAME these people. For the last 2 years I have been an avid Windows Phone supporter and a Lumia ****** and I will tear ANY OEM apart that I think is not beneficial to the OS.

As of today, I still am the same Lumia ****** but even now I am starting to ask myself "What am I defending? It's Potential and possible future? Because where I stand now, WP is the 3rd place OS and that's exactly how it looks and feels and performs sometimes. It was an underdog in the WP7 days, it was the one you wanted to root for in the WP 8 days and presently, it's the OS that just seems like it really has no clue what it is doing or how to do it."

I don't whine or complain like a lot of people do. I don't really care as much about Microsoft supporting Android and IOS. I'd prefer they stick to WP and Windows of course but I'd rather them make money then pull a Blackberry and wait till it is too late(See BBM) to do something. But I want them to make sure THEIR OWN os is in tip top shape BEFORE going elsewhere.

But I am not one to sit here and lie to myself about the great things WP does...because for all the greatness it does and its beautiful OS, Microsoft doesn't even treat the OS like a priority nor do they have any real sense of urgency to fix stuff faster(see Xbox music). And I believe we as a WP userbase are holding on more to the idea of being the Anti-Droid/IOS team(hipsters basically) that a lot of us are basically lying to ourselves instead of realizing that these people whining may be annoying but there is a lot of truth to their words.

And it is those same people who will likely leave the OS and unfortunately go over to IOS or Android. So instead of calling them out and trashing them, how about we all as a community and userbase rally together not only to kick some developer ****(So to speak) but to demand that Microsoft start hearing us.

Apple is a company I respect and I am starting to open myself up to an alternative......If IOS manages to actually completely lure me away(I no longer have a windows phone so I don't have a safety net anymore) then I'll be sad but what can I do.

Still nothing can top Surface yet...of course if they come out with touch screen macs, then we can talk :D
I haven't tried xbox music or onedrive just yet nor
This guy gets it!!!

Micah obviously found that another platform would serve him better, and that's great. I know he has been a staunch defender of WP in the past, and was ultimately roasted for defending it by other users. I have no time for these people. They always know better when they quite clearly don't.
They say that they want WP to stay as it is, then wax lyrical about features that should be added from the 'competing' platforms. Hypocrisy of the highest order!!!

WP IS a simple OS. It's just a shame that the simple minded cannot grasp the fundamentals.... Only one thing to know, if in doubt... Press and hold.... Oh look, more options.

Anyway, I will drop in from time time to check the news, and also check to see if any intelligent comments, or true help pops up in these forums.
But basically I'm done wading through the reams of self pity and constant talk of 'flagship' devices not being available (try Android if you want the next shiny, shiny...)
Peace and good luck to the true and helpful users on here... The word for today is FUN!!!

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I respect your comments, but lets be real here. Pick up a Windows Phone 7 (Samsung Focus?, Lumia 900?) and compare it to current Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2, and tell me straight faced it's not a massive, major, insane improvement.

So, to say MS hasn't done anything just isn't completely honest.

Perhaps they haven't moved at the pace you've wanted, or made the changes you expected - but no one can legitimately say they haven't put a lot effort into this platform.

Also, do the same comparison of that phone with the apps available vs the apps today.

Point being - all the trends you'll see are in the right direction.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Yep, that's why they should change the title of this forum to... "Boohoo, woe is me.. I hate Microsoft because they don't work at the speed of light to reengineer their entire OS around what I WANT!"

How about all you stop boo-hooing and instead do something about it.

You want an app? ***** to the developer, start a campaign, do something...

Oh, no that's too much work for you. We should just all post on here about how "I'm done...", "I'm switching", "I don't like what Microsoft is doing.."

Man, no wonder the world is going to crap.

You, my friend, have won the internet :cool:

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I respect your comments, but lets be real here. Pick up a Windows Phone 7 (Samsung Focus?, Lumia 900?) and compare it to current Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2, and tell me straight faced it's not a massive, major, insane improvement.

Perhaps they haven't moved at the pace you've wanted, or made the changes you expected - but no one can legitimately say they haven't put a lot effort into this platform.

Also, do the same comparison of that phone with the apps available vs the apps today.

You've safely avoided pain points. It would be wrong to say forum is filled with whiners. ppl including me continuously vote on uservoice, chase MS n other devs on twitter but there r things tht exist as pain points which MS could hv avoided.
why is skype better on ios, now office is better on ios too. exclusives like AOE are being rolled out for IOS & Android.
Xbox music sucks, there have been more than 10 updates in last 2 months and they still couldnt fix xbm, n I'm not even asking new features like gapless playback. cortana is still to be available for many WP users but MS seems to be putting more resources towards developing it for ios & Android.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I was skeptical at first, but I love the way they gave us the option to focus on Microsoft as a whole OR focus just on the phones. Those tabs make a huge difference and I feel it accommodates everybody. Iam not a big fan of Microsoft's desktop OS, so I just click the phones tab and away I go. Not a big deal.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Even though Microsoft has ****ed up many times even though it's one of the best software companies... actually is the best software company in the world, this is a fan site not an official Microsoft complaint forum. I remember when we used to talk about cool new features and apps that was on now trending. Now it's what wp will need to succeed, why im switching back to Android. Why is office better on iOS. Just staaaahp! Be like the other mobile nations forums and talk about the good things

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You want an app? ***** to the developer, start a campaign, do something...

This has yet to be successful since I've been using WP. So I need to ask if MS can't attract devs and if users can't then what do you do? If major devs start to block 3rd party apps or start restricting them then we need to ask, what happens now?

This is not a complaint or a whine. These are questions. We are users of a platform. We paid for our devices. We as users deserve the best possible experience. To some this isn't happening.

Personally I don't like the 'I'm leaving' rants and wish they'd just go but it does offer an insight into their thinking. Whether you agree with it or not.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with trying out different OS's. I still use my Nexus 5 and love its ability to customize. I'm new to WP and love the live tiles, integration with my laptop and tablet, battery life, etc. People are always searching for something new. Complaining just for the sake of complaining is unproductive. If you're unhappy just try something else.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
This has yet to be successful since I've been using WP. So I need to ask if MS can't attract devs and if users can't then what do you do? If major devs start to block 3rd party apps or start restricting them then we need to ask, what happens now?

This is not a complaint or a whine. These are questions. We are users of a platform. We paid for our devices. We as users deserve the best possible experience. To some this isn't happening.

Personally I don't like the 'I'm leaving' rants and wish they'd just go but it does offer an insight into their thinking. Whether you agree with it or not.

How can you honestly say they haven't attracted ANY new devs??

It's just not true...see my note above.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
lack of communication = we don't know what the hell they're doing.
seeing their own apps on competing platforms updated more frequently than their own platform and gaining more features than found on their own = raises eyebrows.
long dormant periods (6months) between announcements and releases = either announce something that gets released soon (iPhone, announcement > release takes like a month), or release small updates every now and then. Why build up something, then just completely throw it aside killing any momentum and hype that was built up. Paper launches are bad mmkay. Their in a distant third place, they needed to make a splash.
Lack of any new devices or flagships = Are they even commited? You cant compare a Lumia 830 with a galaxy S5. There would be more checkmarks against the 830.
"Just wait for windows 10" = Just like wait for mango (wp7.5), wait for WP8, Wait for windows 'blue' (WP8.1)? end result seems to be the same each time....wait for...not much.

I'd say its more venting due to frustration and the feeling that you're getting shortchanged and maybe got suckered into a possible dead end path. They already pissed off Lumia 900 buyers with the 7 and 8 transition. They annoyed anyone wanting a 920 with the carrier exclusive thing. Verizon seems to be screwing the pooch on the icon, they're pissing off some loyal fans right now with the lack of any real meaningful Skype updates, the fact that office still sucks on wp and is actually good on ios now, Cortana expanding to ios/android in the future, the OneDrive hamburger menu (I dunno about that one tbh, but it did look a bit discontinuous)....We're still waiting for the denim update (and with it WP8.1.2?) and there are still people waiting on Cyan and WP8.1.1. Theres already rumblings about things being delayed....

I think some users are just getting fed up with the waiting game. Especially with the less than stellar track record MS has.

Remember when the beta test is over? Yeah back with the Lumia's and WP7.5. Seems to me now that it was actually an alpha test then, and the beta test is just now getting started.

Nobody couldn't has say it better. There is a Grand Canyon between point out the truth and whining. Yes I do agree there are lots of whiners here but let's not put them in the mix with those that are trying to get WP to the best it can be. Every update MS releases is always to catch up by the time it goes alpha. The fact that Cyan just came out of beta not too long ago after it was announced makes people angry. And yes you are also right lots of people left when MS throw them away from WP7 to WP8.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Folks, this is a fan site. So like it or not, the whiners have just as much too to whine as to the defenders of the platform as much the levelheaded, realistic moderates. Everyone's opinion has something helpful in it, no matter how well or ****ty the delivery of the point is.

No OS overall is perfect for everyone (as much as Apple tries to sell us this), each OS is best for the user's needs. I use both WP and Android because for me, their strengths compliment their weaknesses from what I need as a user. I own a 1520 and a 1+1. I went with bigger phones partially because that's where the good battery life is now.

What bothers me the most with Windows is that there are devs who refuse to write apps for the platform, or support it in a half assed way. For example, I use Amazon alot for my needs. I'm a graduate student, and as such Kindle books are cheaper than the paper ones. I have a gorgeous Asus T100 which in split screen mode, a kindle app with all my textbooks while writing papers would be perfect. Instead, it is a hit and miss what books I can use...Kindle on Windows is so useless because it now requires me to use another device just to have access to all of my books. Whose fault is that? Me as the user for using Amazon as a source for books? Amazon for feeling there isn't enough users on Windows to make an equally good Kindle app as there is on Fire (not all Android devices are supported equally either)? MSFT for seeing the need and not having any damn pull to address it?

Yes, people have choices but because these companies are in it to make money off consumers by locking into their ecosystem, cross platform or transitioning users ALWAYS suffer at the end. Devs, like anyone else, goes where the money is. So in some regard I cannot blame them.

Yes, MSFT is putting effort into the platform. What I'd like to see is better integration of their own services...that would make the platform more attractive to devs because it gives the devs what they want...more reach to consumers. I'll still use both Android and WP because in their current forms neither can solely fill my needs.

They still need to pick up the development of WP because in the eyes of many, it still isn't worth the effort.

Silence#WP

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site

If WP were competing against itself you might have a point, but it isn't. It is competing against other platforms that are also continually improving. Sure, 8.1 is an improvement over 7, just not enough of one and it has taken until 8/8.1 to replace features that were lost from WM 6.5.

You wanna look at trends? How about these?

• The trend is that 3rd party developers still don't develop as well or as frequently for this platform. It was hoped that Windows 8 would pull developers in to develop Metro/Modern apps which they could then easily port to WP. That didn't happen and although W10 will make the process even easier I'm still skeptical.
  • The trend is that MS is releasing apps and updates for other platforms while it appears that their own platform is placed on the back burner. MS should certainly be developing for other platforms as they risk losing all relevancy if they don't. However there should at least be rough parity for their own platform with regard to features and timeline.
  • The trend is that carriers are still a problem with regard to updates. If Paul Thurrott is correct and MS begins releasing firmware updates with the developer preview this will become less of an issue.
  • The trend is that MS is increasingly focusing on the lower end of the market. Granted they should focus on this market as this is where their best opportunity for growth lies, but not exclusively so. There should also be high end options available on all major carriers.
  • The trend is that carrier exclusives (US market, I don't know about other countries) still make it difficult to support MS even if one wanted to.

For me MS has run out of time. My contract is up and the lack of 920/1020 successor has caused me to pause and survey the environment. My conclusion is that now is the time to leave the platform. W10 has promise. My laptops will be upgraded day one, but I'll no longer give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt in the mobile arena. If I like what I see this time next year I'll give them another shot.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
How can you honestly say they haven't attracted ANY new devs??

It's just not true...see my note above.

Even though we hv very good 3rd party devs filling up the gap, but someone says he doesnt want to use third party apps and wants only official ones, u cant blame them, many 3rd party apps are not using official apis, so essentially services may block them, 3rd party apps(not WP) have recently caused security leaks so if companies become more cautious n start blocking 3rd party apps u cant blame them.

Developing for WP wasnt easy until late, who keeps restrictions such as need for windows 8 machine to develop apps for WP?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos