Boohoo - I'm a "Windows Central" forum user

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Are you an *****?
Sorry. But what kind of response was that? There's a gulf between infallible and "Omg I wanna leave now this is so bad"

Sorry, But did Microsoft make your music app stop working ? Did everyone else that has that same app have the same problem? Did everyone dislike the new design of Onedrive ? should they change it just for you ? They made some changes you did not like but others did, should they change them back for you, then the others would be unhappy. I can see nothing wrong with voicing your opinion and saying what you like and what you don't that's how things get better. But you can't make everyone happy, you take the good with the bad and move on. But on here they just keep ******** and moaning about the same things over and over and over again. And most of the problems are owner caused and has nothing to do with the OS. And it is the same on the Apple forums and the Android.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
You want an app? ***** to the developer, start a campaign, do something...

Oh, no that's too much work for you.

Actually I did do exactly all of the above a while back for both WP8 and BB10 to a few developers and companies. The results were either an email response along the lines of "thanks for contacting us, we have no plans at this time to support WP or BB due to the small user base" or no response at all.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Actually I did do exactly all of the above a while back for both WP8 and BB10 to a few developers and companies. The results were either an email response along the lines of "thanks for contacting us, we have no plans at this time to support WP or BB due to the small user base" or no response at all.

1 e-mail to a developer isn't going to light the world on fire. I said... "start a campaign". If said campaign explodes on the launch pad - well, that explains why they're not developing.

werner6769

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes I just remind myself of why I choose and love windows phone.
1. Super value for money.
2. Large selection of phones.
3. Unique and fast OS.
4. Windows integration.
5. Secure.
6. Upgradable for almost all phones even if you have to use developer preview.
7. Consistent UI.

That's all I can think of for the moment. Is it perfect? No. But better than messy android, pricey boring ios and pricey blackberry that has to run android apps for many things. My opinion. 😊

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone...
Let's not send this thread down the usual path :unhappy:

Sure we all have complaints some very valid others are misunderstandings about limits.
I'll be disappointed to see this one closed if things go awry.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone...

Sure we all have complaints some very valid others are misunderstandings about limits.
It'll probably run its course and close on other forums first before it happens here 😁

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone...

My goal was to try to get things back on track around here. What happened to the love of our Windows Phones?! As a community we can be unified to get things done, to make ourselves heard, and to to be relevant.

I use a Windows Phone because I love Windows Phone. I don't want it to be Android. I don't want it to be iOS. I want it to be WINDOWS PHONE!

Is it perfect? HELL NO! Do we need to start countless number of threads saying how we're "losing faith", "gonna switch", "can't take it anymore". No - all those are MEANINGLESS!

The point is - we love this phone - we do! If you don't love it, or like it that's fine. It means it's not for you! We're here because we love it and we want to see it continue to grow, improve, and get better (and get the apps). The best way to do that is to work TOGETHER! Stop blaming everyone else, and be part of this awesome thing that is the ever-growing, ever developing Windows Phone!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
These phones and OS can definitely be...umm..uh..uh..a challenge yeah that's it...challenge :amaze:

I had a few disappointing bugs this past week...UC browser and battery saver punched me in the stomach "lol"
With the help of this community and a small amount of perseverance we are back from the depths!

Windows on a phone is certainly an adventure!

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
This turned out to be an interesting thread and gave me pause to review the site's T&C. I found this introductory paragraph which I think is very well written:

Welcome to the Windows Phone Central Forums!

At Windows Phone Central we want our forums to be a fun, friendly and helpful place. We want to attract new members, maintain a friendly professional environment, keep the forums organized and ensure that Windows Phone Central continues to be the largest Windows Phone community for all Windows Device enthusiasts. If you are looking for news, discussion or help with your Windows Tablets, Windows Phones or Windows PC's we want Windows Phone Central to be, "The Place to Be".​

This confirmed my thoughts that Windows Central has a fairly positive intent for Windows (Phone) enthusiasts. While I don't think that people should just be emitting gaseous roses here, I do think that people often stray from this ethic and devolve into a level of negativity that most enthusiasts don't want to embrace. A modicum of commiseration is fine, for sure, but when you've read a few dozen "I'm leaving" or "MS is dead" posts it can dramatically temper the enthusiast to the point of not wanting to sift through the white noise to find the helpful posts.

A couple suggestions came to mind, both relating to the concept presented by some that this forum serves a dual purpose for making Microsoft aware of its shortcomings. While I don't think that is the primary point of the forum, we can all agree that constructive criticism for the manufacturer is always a good thing.

First, I think WC should consider a "suggestions to MS" thread where people are encouraged to translate their rants into a constructive form of complaint that MS would actually read. Look, they aren't going to take rant posts seriously, nor should they. I've seen it on other forums, where a suggestions thread becomes so successful that the company directs a personnel representative to participate. I've seen some participation here on that level with the Gameloft guy, for instance, so there is no reason why someone from MS can't participate if we give them good, balanced input.

Second, I think people should generally be encouraged to rant less, and constructively criticize more. It all starts with the title. I saw a recent post where the guy had a decent observation about the limitations of the WP 8.1 alarm function, but the thread got completely derailed because the guy started with an inflammatory title--something along the lines of "The reason I am leaving WP." People got so involved in the overreaction to one small function of WP 8.1 that it just became an argument about the OP instead of the alarm function.

My $0.02.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
The ones that really annoy me are the people that have to announce they are leaving the platform. Its like they are a 13 year old kid threatening to run away from home so they can get attention. Just leave. You don't need to explain why. You don't even need to say goodbye. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Have fun in your Android/iPhone circle jerk.

Now lets get back to our WP circle jerk! This site was more fun when people were talking about the cool things and whats in store for the future...

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the OP. This forum has become difficult to read compared to the early days, especially since the majority of threads are some sort of overreacting about how WP will fail, how MS will fail, how their lives are ruined because they don't have a particular feature. Just look at the thread today about Nokia making an Android tablet.

No one wants a forum full of fanboys and yes men, but the complaining here is over the top. It's mostly from people who feel like they can't boast to their iOS or Android using friends about how great their phone is. Is that what young people do these days when they get together - show their phones off to each other?

We also have a subset of posters that have no intentions of owning a Windows Phone or a Windows tablet, yet they hang around here and derail discussions with how great they think Google and Apple are, while bashing MS at every opportunity they get.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Having been around these forums since the dawn of Windows Phone 7, it's been interesting watching the community grow and evolve. In many ways, the forum has changed far more than Windows Phone has. Some of the things that we complained about back then, we're complaining about now. Unfortunately, the growing user base has made those complaints louder and more frequent.

Now, that isn't to take away from anyone that has a legitimate problem with the platform. Microsoft has definitely given us enough reasons to complain. Xbox Music... The less about that debacle, the better (which is a shame because XM on Windows 8 works fairly well). But there used to be a certain level of sanity to the complaints. Complaints were pointed at the right person for the right reasons. Now it seems like everything is dumped on Microsoft, whether it's their fault or not.

Take Skype for instance. I understand, Skype has serious competition on iOS from FaceTime and numerous other video chat services so there's a legitimate financial reason to focus on iOS first. I even understand that Skype may need certain APIs that aren't available on every WP because some don't have the latest update. But still, Skype should function the same on every platform. If the WP Skype team needs more programmers then get them more. It really does look bad when an independent app is lacking in features.

But, speaking of independent apps, let's talk about Office. People see Office on the iPhone as a sign that Microsoft doesn't care (or cares very little) about their WP Office users. Yet they always forget about the most important part, Office on WP is not an independent app. Office is baked into the OS, much like how Music+Video used to be baked into the OS. Now compare how many Xbox Music updates we get once it was stripped from the core OS. We get a ton, don't we? In fact, Microsoft updates Xbox Music whenever they're ready. Why? Because Xbox Music really needs it, lol! But aside from that, it's because updating parts of the OS involves carrier approval - a process that takes forever. That's not a problem on the iPhone. Microsoft can update Office on the iPhone whenever they want, so they do. And clearly, since WP already has Office, Microsoft has opted to wait until the next major OS update. This wouldn't even be a problem if not for...

...those damn carriers. Us old time AT&T users remember how painfully long it took for AT&T to release any updates for WP7. Or when AT&T would skip updates because... "Because lol we're AT&T, that's why." Yeah, it was bad. Thankfully, AT&T has gotten a lot better but that hasn't stopped carriers from being absolute d-bags with WP updates. I get it, you're upset because Black/Cyan/8.1 is taking forever. Rest assured WP users, you're not alone in this phenomenon. Transverse the internet and you'll see Android users echoing the same complaints. This is when you have to remember that Apple is the exception, not the rule. Yes, a handful of Android phones are getting Lollipop this year. In January, a few more will get Lollipop. And in February, a few more handsets will finally get Lollipop. So on and so on. At least in America, it takes months for carriers to roll out updates. And it seems completely arbitrary why some phones get updated and others don't. Microsoft isn't updating your phone because they hate you. The update is probably sitting on a server somewhere and Verizon is looking at it like, "Not yet..."

And here's another carrier related complaint... Microsoft needs to advertise, advertise, advertise! I don't disagree. Microsoft does need to advertise more, but they also advertise more than people want to give them credit for. I was watching shows on Hulu last night (which already has a ton of Surface ads on there) and I realized how odd it was that I haven't seen an Apple ad in well over a month. Like seriously, Apple does not advertise the iPhone. Apple doesn't have to. I am constantly bombarded with iPhone ads from the carriers themselves. Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, they're all advertising the iPhone 6 for Apple. So yes, carriers are picking winners and losers. Carriers should be advertising their coverage, their competitive prices (*giggle*), their wide phone selection, their LTE speeds - NOPE! They're all advertising why you need an iPhone. The "get an iPhone" mentality is baked into the U.S. market and that's hard to overcome. So...

...while WP continues to increase it's user base and sell numbers, it's doing so overseas. Microsoft sold 9.3 million Lumias last quarter, and estimates say they sold over 10 million phones in total. It may not be Apple crushing numbers but that is still a lot of phones. That's great news... that immediately sinks to the second page whenever it's posted on the forums. No one wants to focus on the good news. Part of that is because the good news doesn't help with the app gap. Microsoft may have sold 10 million phones but sold barely any in North America. A lot of WC posters are from America. If WP isn't selling in America then American app developers aren't going to waste their time with it. Now we're stuck in this viscous cycle. Microsoft continues to sell more Lumias - Just not in America - So American app/game developers are passing on it - So the (very) vocal American community (i.e. W.Central) continues to be displeased with the platform. And while I'm not trying to say that only N. America has good app developers, I don't think it's unfair to say that a lot of iOS/Android's most sought after apps are from American developers. But people act like Microsoft isn't trying to fix the app gap or that Microsoft doesn't even care.

Microsoft hasn't invested billions into WP to simply not care. But when carriers are saying, "Hey man, just get an iPhone," that's a steep hill to climb. A hill so steep it nearly put BlackBerry out of business. And it did put WebOS/Symbian out of business. So kudos to Microsoft for even getting 10 million a quarter. Still, that doesn't stop me from cringing when I see that Microsoft updated their Android lock screen app. Fix your own live lock screen app first! GEEZ!!!

But ultimately, things aren't falling to pieces. Eventually Windows 10 will hit and WP will have tons of new features. And WP users will brag about all the new stuff. Then iOS9 will hit and WP users will be jealous again. Rinse and repeat. You see, Windows Central, you've become like every other smartphone community. Congratulations! :grin:

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Gee Cori was that off the top of your head ... :winktongue:

Good words.
I for once actually read all of that...and that don't happen too often :smile:

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the OP. This forum has become difficult to read compared to the early days, especially since the majority of threads are some sort of overreacting about how WP will fail, how MS will fail, how their lives are ruined because they don't have a particular feature. Just look at the thread today about Nokia making an Android tablet.

No one wants a forum full of fanboys and yes men, but the complaining here is over the top. It's mostly from people who feel like they can't boast to their iOS or Android using friends about how great their phone is. Is that what young people do these days when they get together - show their phones off to each other?

We also have a subset of posters that have no intentions of owning a Windows Phone or a Windows tablet, yet they hang around here and derail discussions with how great they think Google and Apple are, while bashing MS at every opportunity they get.
That can go both ways. There's also a small subset of mods and members here who genuinely feel that criticism should be a bannable offense. It was worse under the last regime though. Most of the worst ones have moved on.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
For me MS has run out of time. My contract is up and the lack of 920/1020 successor has caused me to pause and survey the environment. My conclusion is that now is the time to leave the platform.

I'm right there. If the HTC M8 or 2013 Moto X had cameras that consistently matched Nokia Pureview performance, I'd be trying Android. Or if the iPhone 6 was not crazy expensive I'd go back to iOS. Then I'd reevaluate in the fall.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
There is criticism and there is whining/trolling.

Criticism: Xbox Music is missing old features such as "..." and needs work
Whining: Xbox Music IS A PIECE OF CRAP! Microsoft, YOU SUCK! I'm moving to Android/iPhone!

See the difference?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss