11-19-2014 06:06 AM
106 1234 ...
tools
    It's not like Microsoft has to reinvent the wheel and blow everyone's socks off with a WP flagship they just need minor upgrades to bide time until Windows 10 is ready to go. Something as simple as offering a Lumia 1020 with a Snapdragon 800(or better), 2 gigs of ram, and Micro SD support would please alot of people. Call it the Lumia 1025, add a Cyan, Red and Green color option and roll it out to AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint with 8.1 already installed. No Chassis modification required, no new untested hardware to worry about testing. Also since Verizon dumped the Icon, MSFT can roll out a Denim loaded 930 to the other US carriers possibly with a new fresh color option like Red, Yellow or Cyan. Voil MSFT would have something to hold them until the W10 flagships debut.
    11-16-2014 04:02 PM
    I disagree. WP8, yeah, it couldn't compete equally with iOS and Android, but WP8.1 matured a lot. Sure, it's missing some things, but it can face the competition properly in my opinion. It's just a matter of preference now
    Nicholas Maguire likes this.
    11-16-2014 04:06 PM
    First of all you missed the point. Especially saying its not all about you! You! You!..... Err... I know that... That's why I asked what everyone's else opinions are. Secondly I am not rich and the only reason I got hold off the 1520 (despite my network carrier NOT HAVING THEM is I used my brain and bought one outright ! So if you don't have much choice then save up for one or do what I did and get one in the "buy now pay one year later" scheme.... Jesus !!!

*slaps hand on face*
    Didn't mean to come of rough sorry op! But I was just quoting you on how many moan about the absence of a flagship if the 1520 is all one would need because its all you need ,obviously many would like more and with ms there's room for more
    anon9169769 and snowmutt like this.
    11-16-2014 04:55 PM
    How the heck is the 930 a flagship? It's battery life is awful (don't defend it as there are reviews that state this and its reproducible). In fact, the 1020 is really bad in this aspect. The 1520, is the only decent windows phone I would purchase but again, it's .5 inches too large.

Internet explorer is an awful excuse for a browser, apps are half assed and cortona is buggy as hell.

Lovely ecosystem we have here........

Btw, I owned a windows phone since 7.1 and currently own a 1520.
    Flagship refers to the BEST product from a company. In Nokia/ms case its the 930 or the 1520. It doesn't matter that it is missing this or doesn't have that. It's THEIR best product that sits on the top of their product food chain. Comparing it to others just determines how good or bad or competitive the product is, not whether it should be called a flagship or not. It's unfortunate because they have nothing in terms of a 2014 product to put on top of their product line. They're still flagships but they are old flagships.
    11-16-2014 05:08 PM
    If only Lumia 930 were built with expandable storage, glance screen, slightly bigger battery, and slightly better processor (Snapdragon 801), this discussion and all these flagship complaints would never exist.
    11-16-2014 05:28 PM
    If only Lumia 930 were built with expandable storage, glance screen, slightly bigger battery, and slightly better processor (Snapdragon 801), this discussion and all these flagship complaints would never exist.
    Much larger battery, better display, thinner, lighter, processor that can handle all of these new features Microsoft is releasing and the phone is released on all carriers, I believe you mean.
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    11-16-2014 05:42 PM
    Reviews reviews reviews, so what? I read reviews that praised the phone. Which one to believe? Or is it better to test the phone for yourself and see if it fits your type of user?
    No review needed as I had the international version and it was terrible. So... yes, scientific, repeatable benchmarks do represent the real world.
    11-16-2014 05:43 PM
    TL;DR: Be patient we'll get the info during BUILD or earlier.

The only problem I see is carrier exclusivity or the lack of support from them. Here in Canada all the major carriers finally have the Lumia 830 back then you would either be with Rogers and Telus in order to get a Nokia Windows Phone. Heck there's no carrier carrying the 1520 here, none of them seemed interested and thought it was a bad idea (yet they carry the Samsung Notes).

And I was hoping the solution would be simply just buy one off of Ebay pay the unlocking fee and hurray you get the phone you want without being shackled by a contract. But nope after what I learned with the 1520 from AT&T, unlocking a foreign phone is more of a hassle and sometimes impossible. 3rd Party unlocking companies can't unlock them because the carrier just likes to be a ******.

On to the topic of flagship now. If people can be patient enough and wait a few more months we will have new info on the next gen flagship from Microsoft, the 1520, 930 and even 830 (though not really a flagship) can suffice people's needs for something "new" the problem with other OEMs (besides Apple) is that they chuck out model after model every 3-4 months it's ridiculous. I rather have a phone that I know will last long (like my 920) until something truly magnificent comes out, it'll probably only be shown with Windows 10. Possibly at BUILD even (April). Of course this is the internet and leaks are bound to happen before that. (The exception is the Microsoft Band which was surprising.)
    11-16-2014 05:51 PM
    The 10% market share must one day ring a bell at the Microsoft office, but maybe not ! I'm afraid that your customers are telling you their opinion , so keep fighting on the high end site ! Where is the 1020 successor ?
    11-16-2014 05:56 PM
    good luck finding a phone you like just looking at reviews then

i'd rather check it at the store with my own hands. I do read the reviews, but i don't rely entirely on them.
    11-16-2014 05:58 PM
    Much larger battery, better display, thinner, lighter, processor that can handle all of these new features Microsoft is releasing and the phone is released on all carriers, I believe you mean.
    Doesn't much larger battery contradict with thinner and lighter? Besides that, which new features in Lumia Denim would be unavailable for Lumia 930?
    11-16-2014 06:24 PM
    What made Samsung so famous and some what a must have Android phone... Their flagship Galaxy phones. What about HTC? The M8, what about Motorola? The nexus... Having flagship phones is saying "hey you! You want the best of the best? Well we have it" its what promotes things. Not budget phones like the 521. Yeah sure u might get more phones into people's hands but what does it offer really? Compare to a 1020 or even a 1320.

Besides pretty sure people are tired of all the 512mb support... Makes making apps harder and longer to develop for.

Edit: The 1520 is an excusive to at&t. Not every carrier has it and not everyone is gonna cancel their contract or simply switch carriers just for a flagship phone.
    Really all MSFT has to do is upgrade their existing phones long enough to remain competitive until the Windows 10 flagships are ready, a Lumia 1020 upgrade with a Snapdragon 801, Micro SD expansion, and 2GB of RAM and make it available on all major US carriers for example. They already have the infrastructure in place and they wouldn't have to engineer anything from scratch. Kinda like how Apple goes from iPhone 4 to 4S before releasing the 5 and then 5S and 5C before releasing the 6. They do this because it helps them maintain market share and minimize any potential user losses to competitors while the the next generation phone is being engineered.
    11-16-2014 06:24 PM
    What I think they should do is make a 1520 variant that's more battery life oriented, if they removed the 20MP camera and used the 8.7 MP camera from the 920 they'd have enough chassis real estate left over to put in a 4500-5000 mAh battery, not everyone needs a 20 MP camera but alot of people would appreciate a huge 5000 mAh battery. Just tweak the current models long enough to stop any market share losses until the W10 flagships are ready.
    11-16-2014 06:31 PM
    I think the real problem is the 930's availability, or lack of it.
    11-16-2014 06:59 PM
    I think the real problem is the 930's availability, or lack of it.
    No, the 930 is a terrible device. I'm unsure how many people even used the dang thing and continue to praise it. Battery doesn't even last a 12 hours of moderate to heavy usage. I can use the 1520 all day with no problems but the thing is too big for one handed usage and is quite heavy due to its size.

I'm done arguing but people really need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid and call a spade a spade. The situation is bleak and reeks of Microsoft three attempts to get it right. The consumer space is not as forgiving as the enterprise and this three attempt to get it right, knowing and acknowledging that the initial set of products are sub par is not a company clients will deal with, especially with the competition so popular.

Microsoft isn't making ground breaking products anymore, there isn't need to cheer on a monopoly that releases crap products on a routine basis. The three strike rule is a terrible strategy to run in the client sector.
    11-16-2014 07:16 PM
    Microsoft is going the right way releasing phones.... So far this year there has been a number of Lumia phones released. How many have apple released? Microsoft got it right releasing mid range phones as not everyone can afford a flagship and no one wants a low budget phone. The mid range is the sweet spot. If you look at iphone how many low range and mid range phones have they released? None... So its buy the flagship only to find out a year later its out dated as they release another one with a tiny bump up on the specs..... Can you imagine if the playstation consoles and xbox consoles done that? Releasing a new one every year? Personally I think every 2 years to release a flagship phone would be ideal and release 2 mid range and 2 low range phones a year. That's just my opinion
    11-16-2014 08:53 PM
    Microsoft is going the right way releasing phones.... So far this year there has been a number of Lumia phones released. How many have apple released? Microsoft got it right releasing mid range phones as not everyone can afford a flagship and no one wants a low budget phone. The mid range is the sweet spot. If you look at iphone how many low range and mid range phones have they released? None... So its buy the flagship only to find out a year later its out dated as they release another one with a tiny bump up on the specs..... Can you imagine if the playstation consoles and xbox consoles done that? Releasing a new one every year? Personally I think every 2 years to release a flagship phone would be ideal and release 2 mid range and 2 low range phones a year. That's just my opinion
    Actually you're wrong when it pertains to the US smartphone market. Here in the US, phones are subsidized by carriers when you sign up for a 2 year contract. The US is a flagship driven smartphone market iPhone & Galaxy sales blow mid and low end phones out of the water in terms of raw sales in the American market. Microsoft needs at least one flagship across all major US carriers otherwise our market share will remain abysmal I'm afraid.

I'd also have to say smartphones are more comparable to cars than game consoles in how they come out with slightly better updated models each year.
    Last edited by Trill Gates; 11-16-2014 at 09:09 PM.
    steve_w_7 and Robinsonmac like this.
    11-16-2014 08:59 PM
    The only reason why iphone and android got a better market share then windows phone is quite simply they been out longer and better advertised from the start (here in UK anyway) but now Microsoft is catching up and to be honest its not Microsoft's fault that they are falling behind iphone and android as most of the best apps are there which is down to the app developer to make available for the windows phone. But since 90% they don't then we fall behind to grab a good share of the market
    11-16-2014 09:42 PM
    Trill Gates post 38 above :
    I agree.
    I have put off buying the 1520, awaiting the MS Win10 version, while living off a 5S 64GB.
    Not my desire as I feel MS can make a superior product.
    My SP2 512GB is my proof.
    I shall await an MS Win10 cell phone equaling or surpassing what my 5S does... and I know they can & will.
    Trill Gates likes this.
    11-16-2014 11:41 PM
    The only reason why iphone and android got a better market share then windows phone is quite simply they been out longer and better advertised from the start (here in UK anyway) but now Microsoft is catching up and to be honest its not Microsoft's fault that they are falling behind iphone and android as most of the best apps are there which is down to the app developer to make available for the windows phone. But since 90% they don't then we fall behind to grab a good share of the market
    I'm not saying Windows Phone could ever surpass them in market share but what I am saying is that the reason we're going nowhere is chiefly our lack of highly marketed flagships. WP isn't as established as iOS or Android so the marketing efforts have to be much higher and they simply have been a joke.
    11-16-2014 11:56 PM
    Trill Gates post 38 above :
    I agree.
    I have put off buying the 1520, awaiting the MS Win10 version, while living off a 5S 64GB.
    Not my desire as I feel MS can make a superior product.
    My SP2 512GB is my proof.
    I shall await an MS Win10 cell phone equaling or surpassing what my 5S does... and I know they can & will.
    I feel you... The only problem is a W10 flagship doesn't look like it is in any rush to get here. Hence the reason I'm saying MSFT needs to refresh existing flagships long enough to maintain market share. We won't grow anymore until W10 so all we need to do is maintain.
    11-16-2014 11:59 PM
    Holy .... , You all just got a new flagship phone for Windows on 3 carriers, the HTC M8 for Windows, A top of the line phone on Android and for Windows. You all complain about no support for Windows phones but you blow the HTC off because it is not a Lumia , Well I am here to tell you it is a damn nice phone for Windows, How far along do you think Android would be if say Motorola was the only one making Android phones. And Microsoft is in this to make money and if they can sell a bunch more of the cheaper phones, well they are going to make the cheaper phones and throw in a Wiz bang top of the line once in a while, you have the 930 the 1520 and a couple of close contenders and HTC threw in the M8. But good lord you all sound like a bunch of kids before Christmas. I want , I want . Why should they you don't embrace what they already gave you. You pick it apart and want something else that you think will be better, only to pick it apart and say you will wait for the next big thing or stomp your feet and run away from home. Loving my new HTC Windows flagship M8.
    11-17-2014 12:35 AM
    M
    Holy .... , You all just got a new flagship phone for Windows on 3 carriers, the HTC M8 for Windows, A top of the line phone on Android and for Windows. You all complain about no support for Windows phones but you blow the HTC off because it is not a Lumia , Well I am here to tell you it is a damn nice phone for Windows, How far along do you think Android would be if say Motorola was the only one making Android phones. And Microsoft is in this to make money and if they can sell a bunch more of the cheaper phones, well they are going to make the cheaper phones and throw in a Wiz bang top of the line once in a while, you have the 930 the 1520 and a couple of close contenders and HTC threw in the M8. But good lord you all sound like a bunch of kids before Christmas. I want , I want . Why should they you don't embrace what they already gave you. You pick it apart and want something else that you think will be better, only to pick it apart and say you will wait for the next big thing or stomp your feet and run away from home. Loving my new HTC Windows flagship M8.
    Actually alot of people who complain about the lack of flagships understand the business side of the industry as well as pay attention to market trends and customer behavior. The HTC One is not new hardware it's literally just a 1 year old Android with Windows Phone 8.1 loaded on it. It's a solid piece of hardware but it's not going to lead us to the promised land this holiday season up against newer heavily touted flagships from Apple and Samsung. The 1520 is a niche device that's exclusive to one carrier, and the 930's American counterpart the Lumia Icon was just recently dropped by Verizon which held exclusive rights to it. Windows Phone in the US (flagship market) is dead in the water at the present moment. My only hope now is we don't lose too much market share after the holidays and have some solid flagships ready with Windows 10 sooner rather than later.
    Robinsonmac likes this.
    11-17-2014 12:49 AM
    Wow were still with thought that this"930" is on any carrier here in the us....it's not! Verizon had the icon! So now its a year old 1520 and a hand me down from HTC awesome!
    11-17-2014 05:52 AM
    WP isn't as established as iOS or Android so the marketing efforts have to be much higher and they simply have been a joke.
    Totally disagree with the marketing as in the UK it has been non stop on ads for all the Lumia phones, surface pro and even an ad just for cortana.
    11-17-2014 07:01 AM
106 1234 ...