Am I the only one who isn't moaning about a new flagship phone?

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Really sorry but it gets to me so much hearing "when will we get a new flagship phone" ?
Personally I have the 1520 and that is more then enough for what I use my phone for. I play games now and then and mostly use it for net, youtube and standard calls and texts and facebook. Seriously....what else can the new flagship offer? I have a screen that I am happy with. The size and quality of the 1080 is perfect. And lets be honest... If we did get a new flagship with 4GHZ, 4GB of ram and 64GB of internal ram......would it really make any difference to how you would use your phone now??? Sure... More memory means more storage for music, pics and games... I agree 100% with that... But for anything else....what could you really need from a new flagship phone? People may say "4K" recording? Why? We don't even get games that use's the 1080 screen on the 1520 as it is so chances are getting 4k games won't happen. Does facebook and whatsapp really need a 4K screen to browse on? I think not. Well.... That's my opinion....share your thoughts and tell me if I am right or wrong about this....but personally.... If you want a new flagship phone then either wait or build one....untill then....please please please stop your moaning !!

WP8_Lover

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, a few months back, the famous whine on WPC was the 512 MB support, or lack thereof. The highend-ers bashed the moaners. Rightfully so, I might add. But, now the highender-ers are whining. LOL. How times change :p

ReconVirus

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
What made Samsung so famous and some what a must have Android phone... Their flagship Galaxy phones. What about HTC? The M8, what about Motorola? The nexus... Having flagship phones is saying "hey you! You want the best of the best? Well we have it" its what promotes things. Not budget phones like the 521. Yeah sure u might get more phones into people's hands but what does it offer really? Compare to a 1020 or even a 1320.

Besides pretty sure people are tired of all the 512mb support... Makes making apps harder and longer to develop for.

Edit: The 1520 is an excusive to at&t. Not every carrier has it and not everyone is gonna cancel their contract or simply switch carriers just for a flagship phone.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The problem is if you have a 920 or 1020, the 930 is not available for you to upgrade to on AT&T. For most the 1520 is too big and is over a year old. TMO, if you have a 925, no 930 either. Verizon no longer sells the ICON/ 930 which launched 4 months late. The problem is the Lumia phones are.severely fragmented in the US & aren't keeping up with at least a yearly update as its competitors and are never available on all carriers at the same time. It's like if AT&T sold the GS4 2yrs ago, then the note 3 but no GS5. Verizon had a GS4 exclusive version 6 mos after the AT&T GS4, then released an exclusive GS5 but kills it 7 mos later and never sells the note3. TMO, got a exclusive GS4 version 6 mos after AT&T also & that's it, not GS5 or note 3. Sprint no GS4 or GS5 or note 3. No us carrier sells an upgrade to the 1520 or 920 in the US.

The gs6 will be released in 4 months along w/ the 3rd gen HTC one while reportedly there will be no new Lumia phone to replace the 920 or 1520 until late summer or fall of next year with the release of Windows 10. That's 8-9 months.

Gee what the hell is wrong with that picture and they wonder why they cant get any traction in the US.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Most of the complaints I'm reading here has to do with model availability. If all models were available on all carriers, I think the high end discussions would be minimized greatly. Exclusivity is killing WP as much or more than specs.

ReconVirus

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
The problem is if you have a 920 or 1020, the 930 is not available for you to upgrade to on AT&T. For most the 1520 is too big and is over a year old. TMO, if you have a 925, no 930 either. Verizon no longer sells the ICON/ 930 which launched 4 months late. The problem is the Lumia phones are.severely fragmented in the US & aren't keeping up with at least a yearly update as its competitors and are never available on all carriers at the same time. It's like if AT&T sold the GS4 2yrs ago, then the note 3 but no GS5. Verizon had a GS4 exclusive version 6 mos after the AT&T GS4, then released an exclusive GS5 but kills it 7 mos later and never sells the note3. TMO, got a exclusive GS4 version 6 mos after AT&T also & that's it, not GS5 or note 3. Sprint no GS4 or GS5 or note 3. No us carrier sells an upgrade to the 1520 or 920 in the US.

The gs6 will be released in 4 months along w/ the 3rd gen HTC one while reportedly there will be no new Lumia phone to replace the 920 or 1520 until late summer or fall of next year with the release of Windows 10. That's 8-9 months.

Gee what the hell is wrong with that picture and they wonder why they cant get any traction in the US.

But its really the fault of the manufacturers and carriers for making deals like these. Especially when Nokia should have just tried to put as many of their phone lines on all carries as possible. Same mistake when letting carriers has such control over updates. I believe the android updates come from the manufacturer themselves rather than carries. *hint hint Microsoft...*

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile with an international 920, and sure, I'd like a new phone, this 920 still has 10GB free, still running smoothly, and still kicking so much **** for being almost 2 years old. I can wait, and see if Windows 10 makes my mouth watery. :D

ReconVirus

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile with an international 920, and sure, I'd like a new phone, this 920 still has 10GB free, still running smoothly, and still kicking so much **** for being almost 2 years old. I can wait, and see if Windows 10 makes my mouth watery. :D
ill make you watery

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The only thing that really seems odd is the ones who gripe about lack of WP new flagship, then threaten to go to iPhone or Android. Isn't that just about as far from a WP flagship as you can get? Heck, even a lowly Lumia 520 is closer to a WP flagship than the best iPhone (and it will run Windows 10 too which the iPhone never will!)

Said another way... our flagship might be a rowboat but at least it's not flying the enemy's flag.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Really sorry but it gets to me so much hearing "when will we get a new flagship phone" ?
Personally I have the 1520 and that is more then enough for what I use my phone for. I play games now and then and mostly use it for net, youtube and standard calls and texts and facebook. Seriously....what else can the new flagship offer? I have a screen that I am happy with. The size and quality of the 1080 is perfect. And lets be honest... If we did get a new flagship with 4GHZ, 4GB of ram and 64GB of internal ram......would it really make any difference to how you would use your phone now??? Sure... More memory means more storage for music, pics and games... I agree 100% with that... But for anything else....what could you really need from a new flagship phone? People may say "4K" recording? Why? We don't even get games that use's the 1080 screen on the 1520 as it is so chances are getting 4k games won't happen. Does facebook and whatsapp really need a 4K screen to browse on? I think not. Well.... That's my opinion....share your thoughts and tell me if I am right or wrong about this....but personally.... If you want a new flagship phone then either wait or build one....untill then....please please please stop your moaning !!
It's not all about you! You may like your phone,it may do enough for you,it may play your games, it may be fast enough for you ,you may not like 4k recording or possibly 4k games,but its not all about you you you! In any thing you buy almost anything...there's choices ,low end ,mid,then high! Problem is that for the majority there isn't much choices if there is its old. Here in the us we only have two 1520and m8. It's like telling the rich guy all we have to choose from are low end cars, he's going to the local BMW or Mercedes dealership. We need choices to choose from the icon is eol and 1520 will be a year old ....and that's it.

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
First of all you missed the point. Especially saying its not all about you! You! You!..... Err... I know that... That's why I asked what everyone's else opinions are. Secondly I am not rich and the only reason I got hold off the 1520 (despite my network carrier NOT HAVING THEM is I used my brain and bought one outright ! So if you don't have much choice then save up for one or do what I did and get one in the "buy now pay one year later" scheme.... Jesus !!!

*slaps hand on face*

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
[NOTE]
Thread moved to GMN and D since ask a question is meant for quick answers or help and not on-going topics for established members.
[/NOTE]

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
What I'm really sick of are people on AT&T moaning and whining about getting a new Windows Phone release every so often. Oh, please, you guys already have a billion options to choose from...

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
For all the people who are moaning there are plenty not, we see the value in the platform and the potential for Windows 10. Personally I am lucky enough to have a 1020, 1520 and a 930 for various needs. Looking at other platforms no other system is going to be in a position such as windows if the implementation is done right to supply a unique experience across it's ecosystem and that's the key difference.

I can sympathise with people looking for a flagship though as it's the top device that set's your experience apart from the low range and middle range devices. I know when I received my work iPhone 6 the shiny new experience overtook all limitations of the os which was the same with my spare LG G3.

MS has the know how and the insight into what people want from their devices but it's never been seen on this scale before. Satya has implemented plans to change MS as we know it and the transitions that are ahead are going to take time but those who are patient will reap the rewards of a connected ecosystem. I for one will be waiting to see what happens but people have a voice and they want to be heard it's just a shame that they outweigh the people who are satisfied with their devices at the moment.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
OP clearly doesn't know that the market doesn't work the way he feels. We're "moaning" about the lack of new flagships because Apple and Samsung are pumping out flagship upon flagship just in time for the holidays which is when demand for new smartphones peaks. Microsoft risk losing market share by not having fresh new competing flagships available. Given we only have a minuscule 3% marketshare losing any would be a huge blow for an OS that struggles to get app support. App support that wont improve with even less marketshare.

So no offense but whether or not you personally think Windows Phone needs new flagships is quite irrelevant, if you're not "moaning" yet you sure will be when app support deteriorates further because WP can't keep established customers because there are no upgrades available.

Mike Waechter

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
How the heck is the 930 a flagship? It's battery life is awful (don't defend it as there are reviews that state this and its reproducible). In fact, the 1020 is really bad in this aspect. The 1520, is the only decent windows phone I would purchase but again, it's .5 inches too large.

Internet explorer is an awful excuse for a browser, apps are half assed and cortona is buggy as hell.

Lovely ecosystem we have here........

Btw, I owned a windows phone since 7.1 and currently own a 1520.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Anyone here who thinks Microsoft can lollygag with their flagships is very misinformed or plain delusional. Speaking as an American WP user, I can tell you forget about being a credible smartphone OS in the US with low and mid range phones. If this is the tactic Microsoft is pursuing then it means Windows Phone is no longer a priority in the US for Microsoft. We need non-exclusive flagships across all major US networks if we have any hope of growing these anemic market share numbers. Nobody moan about apps so long as we're below 10% market share.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss