Am I the only one who isn't moaning about a new flagship phone?

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
No you are not alone, I think my Lumia 930 is right up their with the big boys. I often heat my friend complain about his android HTC m8, and keep making fun of him because he Diddy get a 930.

Btw, the HTC is very week, the so called metal frame, is actually a metal sheet, that gets dented very very very easily.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Reviews reviews reviews, so what? I read reviews that praised the phone. Which one to believe? Or is it better to test the phone for yourself and see if it fits your type of user?

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
After iPhones (original through to 4S), then Note 2 and Note 3, I moved to a Lumia 930. Love it.... Cant see me going back to Android.

Really liked my Note 3, but Samsung/Android bloatware was getting too much.

With WP, I can uninstall any pre- installed apps. Like the GUI much more. Only one app I miss and that was a game.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No you are not alone, I think my Lumia 930 is right up their with the big boys.

The hardware, maybe. As I see it, it's the OS that cannot compete with the big boys. Until WP and its ecosystem mature, no amount of cutting edge hardware or marketing is going to make a big difference.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
It's not like Microsoft has to reinvent the wheel and blow everyone's socks off with a WP flagship they just need minor upgrades to bide time until Windows 10 is ready to go. Something as simple as offering a Lumia 1020 with a Snapdragon 800(or better), 2 gigs of ram, and Micro SD support would please alot of people. Call it the Lumia 1025, add a Cyan, Red and Green color option and roll it out to AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint with 8.1 already installed. No Chassis modification required, no new untested hardware to worry about testing. Also since Verizon dumped the Icon, MSFT can roll out a Denim loaded 930 to the other US carriers possibly with a new fresh color option like Red, Yellow or Cyan. Voil? MSFT would have something to hold them until the W10 flagships debut.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I disagree. WP8, yeah, it couldn't compete equally with iOS and Android, but WP8.1 matured a lot. Sure, it's missing some things, but it can face the competition properly in my opinion. It's just a matter of preference now

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
First of all you missed the point. Especially saying its not all about you! You! You!..... Err... I know that... That's why I asked what everyone's else opinions are. Secondly I am not rich and the only reason I got hold off the 1520 (despite my network carrier NOT HAVING THEM is I used my brain and bought one outright ! So if you don't have much choice then save up for one or do what I did and get one in the "buy now pay one year later" scheme.... Jesus !!!

*slaps hand on face*
Didn't mean to come of rough sorry op! But I was just quoting you on how many moan about the absence of a flagship if the 1520 is all one would need because its all you need ,obviously many would like more and with ms there's room for more

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
How the heck is the 930 a flagship? It's battery life is awful (don't defend it as there are reviews that state this and its reproducible). In fact, the 1020 is really bad in this aspect. The 1520, is the only decent windows phone I would purchase but again, it's .5 inches too large.

Internet explorer is an awful excuse for a browser, apps are half assed and cortona is buggy as hell.

Lovely ecosystem we have here........

Btw, I owned a windows phone since 7.1 and currently own a 1520.
Flagship refers to the BEST product from a company. In Nokia/ms case its the 930 or the 1520. It doesn't matter that it is missing this or doesn't have that. It's THEIR best product that sits on the top of their product food chain. Comparing it to others just determines how good or bad or competitive the product is, not whether it should be called a flagship or not. It's unfortunate because they have nothing in terms of a 2014 product to put on top of their product line. They're still flagships but they are old flagships.

Vincentius Dalton

May 28, 2014
Visit site
If only Lumia 930 were built with expandable storage, glance screen, slightly bigger battery, and slightly better processor (Snapdragon 801), this discussion and all these flagship complaints would never exist.

Mike Waechter

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
If only Lumia 930 were built with expandable storage, glance screen, slightly bigger battery, and slightly better processor (Snapdragon 801), this discussion and all these flagship complaints would never exist.

Much larger battery, better display, thinner, lighter, processor that can handle all of these new features Microsoft is releasing and the phone is released on all carriers, I believe you mean.

Mike Waechter

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Reviews reviews reviews, so what? I read reviews that praised the phone. Which one to believe? Or is it better to test the phone for yourself and see if it fits your type of user?

No review needed as I had the international version and it was terrible. So... yes, scientific, repeatable benchmarks do represent the real world.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
TL;DR: Be patient we'll get the info during BUILD or earlier.

The only problem I see is carrier exclusivity or the lack of support from them. Here in Canada all the major carriers finally have the Lumia 830 back then you would either be with Rogers and Telus in order to get a Nokia Windows Phone. Heck there's no carrier carrying the 1520 here, none of them seemed interested and thought it was a bad idea (yet they carry the Samsung Notes).

And I was hoping the solution would be simply just buy one off of Ebay pay the unlocking fee and hurray you get the phone you want without being shackled by a contract. But nope after what I learned with the 1520 from AT&T, unlocking a foreign phone is more of a hassle and sometimes impossible. 3rd Party unlocking companies can't unlock them because the carrier just likes to be a ******.

On to the topic of flagship now. If people can be patient enough and wait a few more months we will have new info on the next gen flagship from Microsoft, the 1520, 930 and even 830 (though not really a flagship) can suffice people's needs for something "new" the problem with other OEMs (besides Apple) is that they chuck out model after model every 3-4 months it's ridiculous. I rather have a phone that I know will last long (like my 920) until something truly magnificent comes out, it'll probably only be shown with Windows 10. Possibly at BUILD even (April). Of course this is the internet and leaks are bound to happen before that. (The exception is the Microsoft Band which was surprising.)

Jens2sig

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
The 10% market share must one day ring a bell at the Microsoft office, but maybe not ! I'm afraid that your customers are telling you their opinion , so keep fighting on the high end site ! Where is the 1020 successor ?

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
good luck finding a phone you like just looking at reviews then

i'd rather check it at the store with my own hands. I do read the reviews, but i don't rely entirely on them.

Vincentius Dalton

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Much larger battery, better display, thinner, lighter, processor that can handle all of these new features Microsoft is releasing and the phone is released on all carriers, I believe you mean.
Doesn't much larger battery contradict with thinner and lighter? Besides that, which new features in Lumia Denim would be unavailable for Lumia 930?

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
What made Samsung so famous and some what a must have Android phone... Their flagship Galaxy phones. What about HTC? The M8, what about Motorola? The nexus... Having flagship phones is saying "hey you! You want the best of the best? Well we have it" its what promotes things. Not budget phones like the 521. Yeah sure u might get more phones into people's hands but what does it offer really? Compare to a 1020 or even a 1320.

Besides pretty sure people are tired of all the 512mb support... Makes making apps harder and longer to develop for.

Edit: The 1520 is an excusive to at&t. Not every carrier has it and not everyone is gonna cancel their contract or simply switch carriers just for a flagship phone.
Really all MSFT has to do is upgrade their existing phones long enough to remain competitive until the Windows 10 flagships are ready, a Lumia 1020 upgrade with a Snapdragon 801, Micro SD expansion, and 2GB of RAM and make it available on all major US carriers for example. They already have the infrastructure in place and they wouldn't have to engineer anything from scratch. Kinda like how Apple goes from iPhone 4 to 4S before releasing the 5 and then 5S and 5C before releasing the 6. They do this because it helps them maintain market share and minimize any potential user losses to competitors while the the next generation phone is being engineered.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site

What I think they should do is make a 1520 variant that's more battery life oriented, if they removed the 20MP camera and used the 8.7 MP camera from the 920 they'd have enough chassis real estate left over to put in a 4500-5000 mAh battery, not everyone needs a 20 MP camera but alot of people would appreciate a huge 5000 mAh battery. Just tweak the current models long enough to stop any market share losses until the W10 flagships are ready.

Mike Waechter

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I think the real problem is the 930's availability, or lack of it.

No, the 930 is a terrible device. I'm unsure how many people even used the dang thing and continue to praise it. Battery doesn't even last a 12 hours of moderate to heavy usage. I can use the 1520 all day with no problems but the thing is too big for one handed usage and is quite heavy due to its size.

I'm done arguing but people really need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid and call a spade a spade. The situation is bleak and reeks of Microsoft three attempts to get it right. The consumer space is not as forgiving as the enterprise and this three attempt to get it right, knowing and acknowledging that the initial set of products are sub par is not a company clients will deal with, especially with the competition so popular.

Microsoft isn't making ground breaking products anymore, there isn't need to cheer on a monopoly that releases crap products on a routine basis. The three strike rule is a terrible strategy to run in the client sector.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes