Am I the only one who isn't moaning about a new flagship phone?

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is going the right way releasing phones.... So far this year there has been a number of Lumia phones released. How many have apple released? Microsoft got it right releasing mid range phones as not everyone can afford a flagship and no one wants a low budget phone. The mid range is the sweet spot. If you look at iphone how many low range and mid range phones have they released? None... So its buy the flagship only to find out a year later its out dated as they release another one with a tiny bump up on the specs..... Can you imagine if the playstation consoles and xbox consoles done that? Releasing a new one every year? Personally I think every 2 years to release a flagship phone would be ideal and release 2 mid range and 2 low range phones a year. That's just my opinion

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is going the right way releasing phones.... So far this year there has been a number of Lumia phones released. How many have apple released? Microsoft got it right releasing mid range phones as not everyone can afford a flagship and no one wants a low budget phone. The mid range is the sweet spot. If you look at iphone how many low range and mid range phones have they released? None... So its buy the flagship only to find out a year later its out dated as they release another one with a tiny bump up on the specs..... Can you imagine if the playstation consoles and xbox consoles done that? Releasing a new one every year? Personally I think every 2 years to release a flagship phone would be ideal and release 2 mid range and 2 low range phones a year. That's just my opinion
Actually you're wrong when it pertains to the US smartphone market. Here in the US, phones are subsidized by carriers when you sign up for a 2 year contract. The US is a flagship driven smartphone market iPhone & Galaxy sales blow mid and low end phones out of the water in terms of raw sales in the American market. Microsoft needs at least one flagship across all major US carriers otherwise our market share will remain abysmal I'm afraid.

I'd also have to say smartphones are more comparable to cars than game consoles in how they come out with slightly better updated models each year.

Last edited:

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
The only reason why iphone and android got a better market share then windows phone is quite simply they been out longer and better advertised from the start (here in UK anyway) but now Microsoft is catching up and to be honest its not Microsoft's fault that they are falling behind iphone and android as most of the best apps are there which is down to the app developer to make available for the windows phone. But since 90% they don't then we fall behind to grab a good share of the market

Cabo Blue

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Trill Gates post 38 above :
I agree.
I have put off buying the 1520, awaiting the MS Win10 version, while living off a 5S 64GB.
Not my desire as I feel MS can make a superior product.
My SP2 512GB is my proof.
I shall await an MS Win10 cell phone equaling or surpassing what my 5S does... and I know they can & will.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
The only reason why iphone and android got a better market share then windows phone is quite simply they been out longer and better advertised from the start (here in UK anyway) but now Microsoft is catching up and to be honest its not Microsoft's fault that they are falling behind iphone and android as most of the best apps are there which is down to the app developer to make available for the windows phone. But since 90% they don't then we fall behind to grab a good share of the market
I'm not saying Windows Phone could ever surpass them in market share but what I am saying is that the reason we're going nowhere is chiefly our lack of highly marketed flagships. WP isn't as established as iOS or Android so the marketing efforts have to be much higher and they simply have been a joke.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Trill Gates post 38 above :
I agree.
I have put off buying the 1520, awaiting the MS Win10 version, while living off a 5S 64GB.
Not my desire as I feel MS can make a superior product.
My SP2 512GB is my proof.
I shall await an MS Win10 cell phone equaling or surpassing what my 5S does... and I know they can & will.
I feel you... The only problem is a W10 flagship doesn't look like it is in any rush to get here. Hence the reason I'm saying MSFT needs to refresh existing flagships long enough to maintain market share. We won't grow anymore until W10 so all we need to do is maintain.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Holy .... , You all just got a new flagship phone for Windows on 3 carriers, the HTC M8 for Windows, A top of the line phone on Android and for Windows. You all complain about no support for Windows phones but you blow the HTC off because it is not a Lumia , Well I am here to tell you it is a damn nice phone for Windows, How far along do you think Android would be if say Motorola was the only one making Android phones. And Microsoft is in this to make money and if they can sell a bunch more of the cheaper phones, well they are going to make the cheaper phones and throw in a Wiz bang top of the line once in a while, you have the 930 the 1520 and a couple of close contenders and HTC threw in the M8. But good lord you all sound like a bunch of kids before Christmas. I want , I want . Why should they you don't embrace what they already gave you. You pick it apart and want something else that you think will be better, only to pick it apart and say you will wait for the next big thing or stomp your feet and run away from home. Loving my new HTC Windows flagship M8.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
M
Holy .... , You all just got a new flagship phone for Windows on 3 carriers, the HTC M8 for Windows, A top of the line phone on Android and for Windows. You all complain about no support for Windows phones but you blow the HTC off because it is not a Lumia , Well I am here to tell you it is a damn nice phone for Windows, How far along do you think Android would be if say Motorola was the only one making Android phones. And Microsoft is in this to make money and if they can sell a bunch more of the cheaper phones, well they are going to make the cheaper phones and throw in a Wiz bang top of the line once in a while, you have the 930 the 1520 and a couple of close contenders and HTC threw in the M8. But good lord you all sound like a bunch of kids before Christmas. I want , I want . Why should they you don't embrace what they already gave you. You pick it apart and want something else that you think will be better, only to pick it apart and say you will wait for the next big thing or stomp your feet and run away from home. Loving my new HTC Windows flagship M8.
Actually alot of people who complain about the lack of flagships understand the business side of the industry as well as pay attention to market trends and customer behavior. The HTC One is not new hardware it's literally just a 1 year old Android with Windows Phone 8.1 loaded on it. It's a solid piece of hardware but it's not going to lead us to the promised land this holiday season up against newer heavily touted flagships from Apple and Samsung. The 1520 is a niche device that's exclusive to one carrier, and the 930's American counterpart the Lumia Icon was just recently dropped by Verizon which held exclusive rights to it. Windows Phone in the US (flagship market) is dead in the water at the present moment. My only hope now is we don't lose too much market share after the holidays and have some solid flagships ready with Windows 10 sooner rather than later.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Wow were still with thought that this"930" is on any carrier here in the us....it's not! Verizon had the icon! So now its a year old 1520 and a hand me down from HTC awesome!

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
So,all you moaner's about a new Flagship Lumia phone, if Microsoft gives the new 830 a 900 number and calls it a flagship would you be Happy? NO ? It will do every thing you want, it is fast, has Micro SD, wireless charging, a good camera, has the Lumia name you all love. What does it take to make a phone a flagship? Does it have to be labeled from the start a flagship? Does it have to have the biggest baddest possessor made? Does it have to have an all new look ? Does it have to make your bed and do the dishes ? Tell me, what makes a phone better then all the others that are out there ? Is the new Windows 10 going to let your phone do anything that the one you have will not do? What exactly are you waiting for, what do you want that my M8 will not do now. OH that's right it is a year old re-purposed Android phone that is still listed as one of the top phones out there. I'm sure you all drive new top of the line cars, you have never bought someone else s stuff at a garage sale . It would not matter if they came out with a new super duper Gee wiz phone, you would find something wrong with it.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
this is what makes it a flagship... the ability to handle the upcoming upgates...all of them. That will require at least an 800 snapdragon processor. Currently the only wp's with that hardware are the 930 and the 1520. One example for you is the passive Cortana feature that will ONLY run on a phone with a 800s. Get it? Or you will be left with outdated, inferior crap and complaining that MS has abandoned you with the new features that you can't run. Forewarned is forearmed.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
this is what makes it a flagship... the ability to handle the upcoming upgates...all of them. That will require at least an 800 snapdragon processor. Currently the only wp's with that hardware are the 930 and the 1520. One example for you is the passive Cortana feature that will ONLY run on a phone with a 800s. Get it? Or you will be left with outdated, inferior crap and complaining that MS has abandoned you with the new features that you can't run. Forewarned is forearmed.

Microsoft has said ALL lumia phones will get the Windows 10 update.

LoriInWA

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
I guess so - I think the 1520 is TOO big for my small female hands. I want the hardware and quality of the 1520 in a 5" screen, but there is no option at ATT and I am just now ending the two year contract for my 920! Moaaaaaaannnnnn....kvetch.....whine.......

coffeemike

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has said ALL lumia phones will get the Windows 10 update.

Yes, all Lumia phones will receive the Windows 10 update. However, features like the passive "Hey, Cortana" voice activation require 1) SensorCore (unique to Lumia, not coming to HTC for example), 2) Denim firmware (should come to all Lumia phones) and 3) Snapdragon 800 processor and above (currently 930/Icon, 1520).

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The only thing that really seems odd is the ones who gripe about lack of WP new flagship, then threaten to go to iPhone or Android. Isn't that just about as far from a WP flagship as you can get? Heck, even a lowly Lumia 520 is closer to a WP flagship than the best iPhone (and it will run Windows 10 too which the iPhone never will!)

Said another way... our flagship might be a rowboat but at least it's not flying the enemy's flag.

There's a lot of trolls appearing if you ask me. And the Phone Wars group is a waste of space of negativity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro