Am I the only one who isn't moaning about a new flagship phone?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I guess so - I think the 1520 is TOO big for my small female hands. I want the hardware and quality of the 1520 in a 5" screen, but there is no option at ATT and I am just now ending the two year contract for my 920! Moaaaaaaannnnnn....kvetch.....whine.......

I'm in the same boat, but then I think... hold on, I'm mentally captivated into needing an upgrade every two years - a mindset that Apple taught us.

Really my 920 is still a great phone with the latest updates (DP) and if I wait 6 months I can get a nice new Windows 10 flagship that will be better than say the 930 which is missing glance or 830 which needs an SD800. I'll be financially better off too as my monthly service charge will continue to be low as I'm not on contract.

Doesn't stop the desire for something more, but we don't need it.

uNiiique

May 28, 2014
Visit site
The L830 and L735 just came out and are great phones in my opinion. The hardware isnt everything. If it would be then apple never had a flagship phone.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Totally disagree with the marketing as in the UK it has been non stop on ads for all the Lumia phones, surface pro and even an ad just for cortana.
I'm looking at it from the US market perspective where Windows Phone isn't catching on nearly as well as it is over in Europe. With the Icon (US 930) being discontinued it leaves WP with the HTC One and Lumia 1520. The problem with the 1520 is it's only available on one carrier in the US and the problem with the HTC One is that it's competing with an Android version of itself. The 730, or 830 are nice phones but they simply cannot go toe to toe with the iPhone 6 and Samsung Galaxy S5.
If we want better app support then we need WP market share in the US to grow. 3% doesn't give us much leverage in the minds of the most popular app developers.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
The L830 and L735 just came out and are great phones in my opinion. The hardware isnt everything. If it would be then apple never had a flagship phone.
Although this true in terms of specs, Windows Phone is not Apple and they can't get away with calling 1GB RAM phones their flagships. That Apple logo on the backs of iPhones sell the phones. Microsoft doesn't have that luxury in the smartphone market.

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
This is what I mean. A lot of people are moaning as the latest phone out (830) is not a flagship phone.... But a lot of people are forgetting not everyone wants the latest phone to be a flagship phone as it will be out of their price reach. If I had the 520 still then my next phone would have been the 830. To me that's an upgrade and I don't need the worlds most powerful processor in their. As long as it meets my personal needs then I am happy with it

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
So,all you moaner's about a new Flagship Lumia phone, if Microsoft gives the new 830 a 900 number and calls it a flagship would you be Happy? NO ? It will do every thing you want, it is fast, has Micro SD, wireless charging, a good camera, has the Lumia name you all love. What does it take to make a phone a flagship? Does it have to be labeled from the start a flagship? Does it have to have the biggest baddest possessor made? Does it have to have an all new look ? Does it have to make your bed and do the dishes ? Tell me, what makes a phone better then all the others that are out there ? Is the new Windows 10 going to let your phone do anything that the one you have will not do? What exactly are you waiting for, what do you want that my M8 will not do now. OH that's right it is a year old re-purposed Android phone that is still listed as one of the top phones out there. I'm sure you all drive new top of the line cars, you have never bought someone else s stuff at a garage sale . It would not matter if they came out with a new super duper Gee wiz phone, you would find something wrong with it.

What makes a phone a flagship? First of all look up the definition to "flagship" to understand the reference. A flagship is the best product that a company has to offer in their lineup, a flagship features a company's best offering in quality and technology. You trying to say that the only difference between a flagship is their names is like saying Toyota Yaris is on equal pegging with an Aston Martin Vanquish. I mean both cars have 4 wheels what's the difference besides the name really?

As for the M8 argument.... Here's the problem. There's an identical Android version sitting right next to it in the retail stores. The average customer is going to pick the version with the most apps. We need PRODUCT DIFFERENTIATION, you're in Lalaland if you think sales reps will be pushing the Windows Version.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
This is what I mean. A lot of people are moaning as the latest phone out (830) is not a flagship phone.... But a lot of people are forgetting not everyone wants the latest phone to be a flagship phone as it will be out of their price reach. If I had the 520 still then my next phone would have been the 830. To me that's an upgrade and I don't need the worlds most powerful processor in their. As long as it meets my personal needs then I am happy with it
Most people complaining about flagships are talking about the US market. Flagship phones by far are the dominant segment in smartphone sales here. Apple sold 12 iPhone 5s's for every 5c they sold last year. Why? Because the US is a flagship market, and I'm sorry to break the fact that WP needs to succeed in the US, if you ever want app parity. Big name Developers don't care if Windows phone sells in Brazil or India.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
What makes a phone a flagship? First of all look up the definition to "flagship" to understand the reference. A flagship is the best product that a company has to offer in their lineup, a flagship features a company's best offering in quality and technology. You trying to say that the only difference between a flagship is their names is like saying Toyota Yaris is on equal pegging with an Aston Martin Vanquish. I mean both cars have 4 wheels what's the difference besides the name really?

As for the M8 argument.... Here's the problem. There's an identical Android version sitting right next to it in the retail stores. The average customer is going to pick the version with the most apps. We need PRODUCT DIFFERENTIATION, you're in Lalaland if you think sales reps will be pushing the Windows Version.
so true the windows version of the m8 in stores are dummies while android m8 are powered up demos. Many outside the us think we have so many to choose for high end windows phones......theres only two. How many on android ...yeah don't bother.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Whether you want a flagship phone or not is irrelevant. The Windows Phone ecosystem needs a flagship phone to have any sort of long-term success.

Satisfying current WP customers is only part of the equation. MS desperately needs to release a flagship phone that will lure Android and Apple users away. There is nothing out there at the moment that has a chance of doing that, and going into the holiday season without that option is a huge loss. Those people who get the latest Android and Apple phones for Christmas (and are locked into a new 2 year contract) aren't going to turn around and buy the newest Windows 10 phone when it comes out 12 weeks later - especially when they find that all of the Microsoft apps and services work just fine (or better) on their shiny new Androids and Apples. There is no incentive.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The only thing that really seems odd is the ones who gripe about lack of WP new flagship, then threaten to go to iPhone or Android. Isn't that just about as far from a WP flagship as you can get? Heck, even a lowly Lumia 520 is closer to a WP flagship than the best iPhone (and it will run Windows 10 too which the iPhone never will!)

Said another way... our flagship might be a rowboat but at least it's not flying the enemy's flag.

Switched from the 1520 to an iPhone 6+(my 2nd time) this past Saturday.

Gotta say....you're exaggerating. This is a good phone and OS. Problem is, I do not like the UI and I miss various Lumia/WP things so it is not a good fit for me presently. But saying a 520 is better than a 6+ screams close minded ******/fangirl.

We do need a flagship.......The M8 unfortunately is all we have. It has the specs and what not but you have to take in account HTC's rep with WP as well as the poor camera and the fact MOST users want a Lumia not an M8.

I love my 1520 but the fact there is no flagship Lumia this fall really makes no sense to me. Yes the specs of the 1520 are still beast today and I recommend it for new users.

But at least bring the Icon to other carriers(or 930 if they wish to call it). Bring the Icon to att and Tmobile since Verizon screwed it. Bring the Lumia 830 to other carriers.

We need a flagship because we're losing mindshare and marketshare to other phones. Samsung recently released the Galaxy Alpha and Galaxy Note Edge alongside there Galaxy Note and original GS5.

Att now only has the year old Lumia 1520, An after thought M8, A Good Lumia 830 but not something that is going to stand up against the other big boys and the 635.

I just hope this wait means the next gen is going to kick some booty.

LoriInWA

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
I am with you. I will continue to hold out for a flagship phone that meets my needs, since my 2 year old 920 keeps me happy....for now. :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been wondering whether or not I should dip my toes into this one but I'll put it like this.

Here is the flagship situation for WP. I'm not including the L830 here as it's a mid range phone and won't have all the flagship features.

Lumia Icon - released Feb 2014 - Verizon only
Lumia 930 - released Apr 2014 - international only
Lumia 1520 - released Oct 2013
HTC M8 - released Mar 2014 - US only

So if you're going by 'current' (2014) flagships there is only the M8 in the US and L930 everywhere else. Do you not see a problem here or is it just me?

Not everyone wants a 1520 so is it really a flagship?

Why am I not upgrading to the L930? Simple. I own an L920 and have a horrible battery. The L930 does not have a good battery in comparison to the latest flagships on other platforms. Then there's always the possibility of getting the other issues related to the L930. On top of that it also lacks features that other WP flagships have had in the past. Glance, tap to wake. Then it doesn't really compete with current flagships on other platforms, in specs or apps. So what's got going for it? OS only?

The M8 I can't get so it's out of the question all together.

So what am I left with? Getting a 1520 I don't want with older hardware?

The reason why I want a new flagship on WP is simply because I'm ready for an upgrade and I can afford one. That's why I want one. Do I really require another reason?

As for the posts of people 'having enough they're leaving' just ignore the thread and move on. If you're interested what people are thinking then get involved. Otherwise just enjoy your phone if you're happy with it. No need to stress yourself out.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been wondering whether or not I should dip my toes into this one but I'll put it like this.

Here is the flagship situation for WP. I'm not including the L830 here as it's a mid range phone and won't have all the flagship features.

Lumia Icon - released Feb 2014 - Verizon only
Lumia 930 - released Apr 2014 - international only
Lumia 1520 - released Oct 2013
HTC M8 - released Mar 2014 - US only

So if you're going by 'current' (2014) flagships there is only the M8 in the US and L930 everywhere else. Do you not see a problem here or is it just me?

Not everyone wants a 1520 so is it really a flagship?

Why am I not upgrading to the L930? Simple. I own an L920 and have a horrible battery. The L930 does not have a good battery in comparison to the latest flagships on other platforms. Then there's always the possibility of getting the other issues related to the L930. On top of that it also lacks features that other WP flagships have had in the past. Glance, tap to wake. Then it doesn't really compete with current flagships on other platforms, in specs or apps. So what's got going for it? OS only?

The M8 I can't get so it's out of the question all together.

So what am I left with? Getting a 1520 I don't want with older hardware?

The reason why I want a new flagship on WP is simply because I'm ready for an upgrade and I can afford one. That's why I want one. Do I really require another reason?

As for the posts of people 'having enough they're leaving' just ignore the thread and move on. If you're interested what people are thinking then get involved. Otherwise just enjoy your phone if you're happy with it. No need to stress yourself out.

Not everyone wants the m8 windows but that doesn't make it any less of a flagship. Same for the 1520. The 1520 is basically the 930 with a larger screen so you can't discredit the 1520 while you also say the 930 is a a flagship.

My thing is battery life is a concern and the 930 lacking features then what besides the 1520 size is stopping you. The 1520 doesn't have the icons or 930 shortcomings. And the hardware may be older but it is not outdated and handles the os very well just as the m8 does with a slightly better processor.

For me I don't need a huge spec boost of a phone. I'd love to see the 930 on all carriers or at least an updated 1520 with marginal upgrades(like the s version iPhones)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Not everyone wants the m8 windows but that doesn't make it any less of a flagship. Same for the 1520. The 1520 is basically the 930 with a larger screen so you can't discredit the 1520 while you also say the 930 is a a flagship.

My thing is battery life is a concern and the 930 lacking features then what besides the 1520 size is stopping you. The 1520 doesn't have the icons or 930 shortcomings. And the hardware may be older but it is not outdated and handles the os very well just as the m8 does with a slightly better processor.

For me I don't need a huge spec boost of a phone. I'd love to see the 930 on all carriers or at least an updated 1520 with marginal upgrades(like the s version iPhones)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Um, I said I can't get the M8. I don't live in the US. It's not available anywhere else. Did you read what I wrote? I never said anything about it not being a flagship.

As for the 1520, yes it has the same specs and then some of the L930, I always forget that but it's too damn big for me and most people.

So there is no phone for me on WP currently and many people feel the same.

Yes a better version of the L930 would be good.

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi Laura. When I got my 1520 I was like "whao...think I got carried away with the size" but in all honesty after a few days you would be used to it so much. If your like me and wear baggy clothes and combats then this will fit in your pocket and not poke out...and that's with a case on too. I looked at my daughter phone (my old 520) and I really can't believe how tiny it is and can never go back. Obviously seeing the 1520 in the shop will look massive. But when you actually take it home and have it in your possession for a few hours or days you will then wonder how you never had it sooner 😊

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not moaning. I'm an ATT customer that wanted to replace his 920 with a Nokia/MS phone that had better spec's. I saw the 830 and it is a sidegrade at best and 1520 is too big for me.

I just got a Samsung S5 Active. I REALLY miss WP, but I'm missing it less and less every day.
Most people won't ***** and moan, they'll do what I did and quietly leave WP and get an Android or iPhone.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm not moaning. I'm an ATT customer that wanted to replace his 920 with a Nokia/MS phone that had better spec's. I saw the 830 and it is a sidegrade at best and 1520 is too big for me.

I just got a Samsung S5 Active. I REALLY miss WP, but I'm missing it less and less every day.
Most people won't ***** and moan, they'll do what I did and quietly leave WP and get an Android or iPhone.
THIS is what I do not understand. "I love Windows Phone. I want a better Windows Phone. I am going to buy an Android."

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, I bought the 1520 against the 1020 for future-proofing (which MSoft hit right on the spot with their continuous support to it). I'm a practical buyer so I'm not moaning about the absence of flagship phones. I want my gadgets to last at least two years.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937) using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb