Am I the only one who isn't moaning about a new flagship phone?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
THIS is what I do not understand. "I love Windows Phone. I want a better Windows Phone. I am going to buy an Android."

It's called "I left because I was frustrated by the waiting game and found a platform I like better."

It's OK to like more than one platform and appreciate both. Having options is what consumer choice is all about. You can 'love' WP but hate the waiting and waiting and waiting....

As this person has stated, most people will just leave and not say anything.

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I just left WP. I love the IU and I strongly believe WP has a bright future, but unfortunately I have to live in the present. With no new high end phones in the horizon, I had to get an LG G3 to meet my business necessities (I use my cell primarily for business.) I needed a faster phone, with a high end chip that could take voice commands while I'm driving without needing to press the voice assistant button, a 5.5+ screen, high resolution to be able to read sharply small PDF text, etc., and Windows doesn't have that at the moment.

I will probably return to Windows when they have a phone that meets my needs, plus when they have had a chance to refine the notification center (which is still too basic.) So for now farewell. I just hope it's not permanent, because I really love the Windows UI.

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I have 2 1520s so I'm not complaining. By the time a new hi end is released I will definitely upgrade my phones and give my 1520s to my bros 😊

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Last edited:

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Why you don't need a nuclear powered, 8TB RAM, 9 Petabyte device to have a WP flagship or in other words, why android actually needs a fission reactor to perform well: Why iPhone With 1GB RAM Performs Better Than Android Devices With 2GB Or More RAM? | Redmond Pie

And really, what's the point of a new flagship with better hardware internally when the software is still incapable of taking advantage of it?
You don't need to resort to absurd hyperboles. Windows phone needs flagships to remain competitive with the iPhone and Android flagships. You have to keep in mind that a majority of smartphone buyers don't have brand preference or are well informed on the various technologies. So what happens is, a new iPhone and Galaxy come out and because they're new they take priority to retailers. An AT&T sales rep working on commission wants to sell the pricier more attractive models. If you think the year old 1520 has a chance against the heavily marketed iPhone 6+ and Galaxy Note 4 in the hyper competitive retail environment you're nuts.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I have 2 1520s so I'm not complaining. By the time a new hi end is released I will definitely upgrade my phones and give my 1520s to my bros 😊

This is understandable, the 1520 is still a beast. However not every Windows Phone user is an enthusiast like us here on Windows Central. So as a result a mainstream 1520 user who wants to upgrade might see a Galaxy Note 4 as his/her next phone because there's no Windows Phone option. This phenomenon is how market share is lost.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm not moaning. I'm an ATT customer that wanted to replace his 920 with a Nokia/MS phone that had better spec's. I saw the 830 and it is a sidegrade at best and 1520 is too big for me.

I just got a Samsung S5 Active. I REALLY miss WP, but I'm missing it less and less every day.
Most people won't ***** and moan, they'll do what I did and quietly leave WP and get an Android or iPhone.

I understand what you mean and you represent what the majority of any smartphone user does if the competition is offering a better product. I don't blame you a bit, hope you come back if you see a future WP device you like :)

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I understand what you mean and you represent what the majority of any smartphone user does if the competition is offering a better product. I don't blame you a bit, hope you come back if you see a future WP device you like :)

I hope to be back one of these days. I hope some real juicy stuff happens in 2015 for WP.

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft will have a massive announcement to make next year. In the UK they seem to be really advertising hard on the lumia's, surface and Cortana adverts.....you could easily think that they are mostly doing it to get rid of all their stock's to make room for the new devices that they have coming up next year.

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
You don't need to resort to absurd hyperboles. Windows phone needs flagships to remain competitive with the iPhone and Android flagships. You have to keep in mind that a majority of smartphone buyers don't have brand preference or are well informed on the various technologies. So what happens is, a new iPhone and Galaxy come out and because they're new they take priority to retailers. An AT&T sales rep working on commission wants to sell the pricier more attractive models. If you think the year old 1520 has a chance against the heavily marketed iPhone 6+ and Galaxy Note 4 in the hyper competitive retail environment you're nuts.

Excellent comment. And believe me, when you have a choice as to how to spend your money then you have a right to demand a certain level of quality, performance, and refinement from the product you are buying, and if you can't get it from a provider, you are well within your rights to spend your money somewhere else where you can get what you are looking for.

That is why WP lost my business and Android got it back. If things change in the future, I may give my business to WP again...but things have to change substantially for that to happen.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
THIS is what I do not understand. "I love Windows Phone. I want a better Windows Phone. I am going to buy an Android."

It was the other way round for me, although I wasn't looking for a flagship, just a phone with a decent camera.

I loved Android. I wanted a better Android [camera]. I bought a Windows Phone. And I have no regrets.

ImSoWade

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I currently have the 1020 and in my eyes there is nothing for me to upgrade to. I just want the new version of the 1020, which came out over a year ago. The issue is the technology is already there (screen, processor, etc.) This is all I really want: Current processor that can properly handle the camera (for taking faster pics), slightly bigger 1080p screen (I mean you need a great screen to view those amazing pics right?!), and EXPANDABLE MEMORY. The 1020's pics take up a lot of space (I only have 2GBs left after deleting my videos) and I think its a little ridiculous to omit expandable memory for a camera focused phone. The technology is already there so is that to much to ask?! One last thing: The 1020 is also end of life so its not really being supported anymore and I don't want to sacrifice on camera for my next phone

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

The point is that there is no better 5" ATT WP than my 2 year old 920 (M8 camera sucks) . I'm not going to spend $100 on a 830 and get locked into a 2yr contract for a phone that's no better than what I currently have. The 1520 is a wonderful phone, but its a year old and just too big for my tastes.

This wasn't an easy decision to leave WP but I didn't have much choice. I hope great stuff happens with WP in 2015 and I'll be back sometime soon.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The point is that there is no better 5" ATT WP than my 2 year old 920 (M8 camera sucks)....
This wasn't an easy decision to leave WP but I didn't have much choice.

Microsoft has the AT&T 1020 available for $349. Not a bad stop-gap for a 920 fan that wants something to tide him over until there's a Windows 10 flagship.

jharr100

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I've had my 1520 for almost a year in dec...its wonderful but I was hoping for a slimmer design...but im content with it and will wait until there are new ones...but if I had kept my 920 and not upgraded I would definitely be waiting for a successor.

jharr100

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Excellent comment. And believe me, when you have a choice as to how to spend your money then you have a right to demand a certain level of quality, performance, and refinement from the product you are buying, and if you can't get it from a provider, you are well within your rights to spend your money somewhere else where you can get what you are looking for.

That is why WP lost my business and Android got it back. If things change in the future, I may give my business to WP again...but things have to change substantially for that to happen.

Exactly, has anyone been in an AT&T store lately. They had one WP. The only WP they had was the 635. Its crazy to see this sea of Android devices...this very elaborate show case for the iphone...and oh this one other phone...that If I hadn't asked if they had any - would never have found in the back corner of the store...

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The point is that there is no better 5" ATT WP than my 2 year old 920 (M8 camera sucks) . I'm not going to spend $100 on a 830 and get locked into a 2yr contract for a phone that's no better than what I currently have. The 1520 is a wonderful phone, but its a year old and just too big for my tastes.

This wasn't an easy decision to leave WP but I didn't have much choice. I hope great stuff happens with WP in 2015 and I'll be back sometime soon.

Totally fair statement.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Exactly, has anyone been in an AT&T store lately. They had one WP. The only WP they had was the 635. Its crazy to see this sea of Android devices...this very elaborate show case for the iphone...and oh this one other phone...that If I hadn't asked if they had any - would never have found in the back corner of the store...

That's because Apple and Google buy space in those stores. MS seems to be ramping up advertising so I imagine we will see more Windows phones in stores next year. (fingers crossed)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077