12-07-2014 07:29 PM
115 1234 ...
tools
    Nokia did not make this or have anything to do with it other than the Z launcher. They licensed their name to some Chinese company and that company decided to use it on crap iPad mini knockoffs. Microsoft bought Nokia's handset division so all of Nokia's engineers and designers and factories are at Microsoft. Nokia has nothing left that would allow them to re-enter the smartphone or tablet market.
    11-18-2014 09:15 AM
    The way I see it , the farther Microsoft can get away from the Nokia name the better. Nokia is prostituting their name out to anyone who will pay what they are asking and that is going to ruin the name Nokia.
    Jakoh, adkrish22290 and ectobs like this.
    11-18-2014 10:02 AM
    This Chinese company makes windows phones, android phones, iphones, ipads, almost all tablets and laptops.

Also, a lot of people loves Nokia than Microsoft, when they buy phones and tables. Most of people don't know Microsoft has a phone at all, but every one know Nokia used to make best phone.

Why is this in General Microsoft discussion? This has absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft or Windows Phones.

The remnants of Nokia, sold out their brand to a Chinese company to make another Android tablet to throw on the heap of Android tablets that exist out there that aren't selling in any great degree. End of story.
    Sonu K likes this.
    11-18-2014 10:11 AM
    Well Nokia didn't do well with Windows Phone so isn't this obvious that they choose Android this time.

If they they won't succeed with Android then they might go with Sailfish or Mozilla.

What's the bother?
    I am happy as long as Nokia is in business.

What planet are you Living on DMC? Nokia's Mobile phone side was bought by Microsoft because there was more Nokia Windowsphone's that were popular. I don't care if this Tablet was Manufactured by Foxxconn (Who makes Xbox's for Microsoft). It is an Android Tablet with the Nokia's name on it. Ballmer should have ran a hostile Take over of Nokia as a whole. I mean I would have loved hearing, Nokia a Microsoft Company. We all know Nokia share holders wanted to go Android but could not, so they sold the device division so they could get that. Microsoft should have hostilely took over Nokia so this would have been prevented. Microsoft could have sold off the cellphone tower division to Ericcson or Motorola solutions. This move to Android could have been prevented by Microsoft fully taking Nokia over. I mean back in the day Microsoft was routhless now they let other companies walk all over them.
    tanya shah1 and adkrish22290 like this.
    11-18-2014 12:41 PM
    sad its more of a betrayal imho
    they could have easily released the tablet with windows 8.1 pro or atleast offered a variant or gone with ubuntu touch or firefox os or something
    by going android,itll cause a confusion in the market with two different nokias(even if one is rebranded as MS)
    adkrish22290 likes this.
    11-18-2014 12:49 PM
    Chill.. The Nokia name was given to a Chinese company for branding.. This tablet is NOT made by Nokia.. I guess if Nokia give their branding to cheap companies it will degrade their brands value..
    I agree, but Foxconn is not a cheap company, they manufacture Iphones/Ipads.
    Sonu K likes this.
    11-18-2014 12:54 PM
    I'm not sure why you are picturing Steve Ballmer as a raping and pillaging viking taking Nokia. Microsoft bought the part of Nokia that they dealt with during their partnership, the mobile electronics division. There really isn't a purpose in them buying the cellular tower technology division, etc.

The part of Nokia that designed and built tablets and smartphones is now owned by Microsoft. All of the engineers who designed consumer electronics are now Microsoft employees. I realize that there is a part of the membership of this forum that came to Windows Phone via Nokia, people who used Symbian before they ever thought about Windows Phone. But speaking purely from the US market standpoint, Nokia is not a renowned brand. People far and above didn't think of Nokia as an innovative smartphone company, they thought of them as the company that built that phone they used a long time ago and played snake on.
    portalfocus likes this.
    11-18-2014 12:55 PM
    sad its more of a betrayal imho
    they could have easily released the tablet with windows 8.1 pro or atleast offered a variant or gone with ubuntu touch or firefox os or something
    by going android,itll cause a confusion in the market with two different nokias(even if one is rebranded as MS)
    LOL, then M$ should have shelled out for exclusive NOKIA licensing rights. LOL. Give it to M$.
    11-18-2014 12:55 PM
    All of you saying this tablet has Nokia's name, and nothing more are wrong. Nokia designed this tablet, Nokia wrote the software, and Foxconn built it. It's the same thing Apple is doing. Would you say that the iPad is not an Apple tablet?

Nokia N1: How Much Is Really Nokia? Part Two | Mike Cane?s xBlog

rhmcrcc.jpg
    Nabkawe5, Sonu K, techiez and 2 others like this.
    11-18-2014 12:56 PM
    Nokia sold their devices division because they couldn't sustain it even if they had gobe with android in the first place. Just look at Motorolla, HTC. The only companies that are surviving the competion are the consumer electronic giants like Samsung which have other divisions to compensate for any losses.
    Nokia are taking the licensing route now. With Foxxonn taking the brunt of manufacture, distribution and advertisement, plus the repute of Nokia brand makes it a pretty slick move. MS got a hardware manufacturing division of its own to push with the Windows based phones with this deal. It is win/win for both companies. Maybe less so for MS but what other choice did they have? Since other OEMs weren't so keen to manufacture windows phones.
    11-18-2014 12:57 PM
    What planet are you Living on DMC? Nokia's Mobile phone side was bought by Microsoft because there was more Nokia Windowsphone's that were popular. I don't care if this Tablet was Manufactured by Foxxconn (Who makes Xbox's for Microsoft). It is an Android Tablet with the Nokia's name on it. Ballmer should have ran a hostile Take over of Nokia as a whole. I mean I would have loved hearing, Nokia a Microsoft Company. We all know Nokia share holders wanted to go Android but could not, so they sold the device division so they could get that. Microsoft should have hostilely took over Nokia so this would have been prevented. Microsoft could have sold off the cellphone tower division to Ericcson or Motorola solutions. This move to Android could have been prevented by Microsoft fully taking Nokia over. I mean back in the day Microsoft was routhless now they let other companies walk all over them.
    they should learn from FB ,google and apple in such cases
    they ensure the new companys loyalties lie fully with them and stop them from developing for rival platforms
    adkrish22290 likes this.
    11-18-2014 12:59 PM
    We are going to see the untimely death of a great software company and Larry Page and Sergei Brin are going to cheer Microsoft's down fall. And it is all because Satya allowed Nokia to Make a google based Android tablet.
    So I've read this multiple times and I cannot figure out what you're trying to say. Like, literally nothing about this makes sense at all. You literally might as well have said that Google will take over the world because peanut butter sales spike before Christmas. There's no logical way to draw your conclusion. How does an Android tablet that probably won't sell very well affect Microsoft in the slightest?
    11-18-2014 12:59 PM
    LOL, then M$ should have shelled out for exclusive NOKIA licensing rights. LOL. Give it to M$.
    yeah but i dont expect much
    look where jolla is now
    they also were nokia employees and the whole tech industry has ignored them so far
    adkrish22290 likes this.
    11-18-2014 01:00 PM
    All of you saying this tablet has Nokia's name, and nothing more are wrong. Nokia designed this tablet, Nokia wrote the software, and Foxconn built it. It's the same thing Apple is doing. Would you say that the iPad is not an Apple tablet?

Nokia N1: How Much Is Really Nokia? Part Two | Mike Cane?s xBlog

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RhmCrCC.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	88237
    still they could have stayed partners with MS or gone full google instead of sitting on the fence in suspense
    adkrish22290 likes this.
    11-18-2014 01:01 PM
    Is the tablet going to use the google version of Android 5.0 or a forked one like the Nokia X series?
    11-18-2014 01:55 PM
    Is the tablet going to use the google version of Android 5.0 or a forked one like the Nokia X series?
    It will use Googles version, but in China it won't have access to the Play Store. They said in countries where the Play Store is available, it will have it.
    Sonu K likes this.
    11-18-2014 02:07 PM
    It will use Googles version, but in China it won't have access to the Play Store. They said in countries where the Play Store is available, it will have it.
    How is that even possible? Google won't allow you into the OHA if you've shipped a forked version of Android.
    jmshub likes this.
    11-18-2014 02:13 PM
    It is sad day for nokia fan seeing nokia going android ie google way.Now lets see whether they can sell it in India.
    From Windows phone
    adkrish22290 and tanya shah1 like this.
    11-18-2014 02:25 PM
    I think you should wake up and read the news sometime.
    11-18-2014 02:35 PM
    How is that even possible? Google won't allow you into the OHA if you've shipped a forked version of Android.
    In the post of mine you quoted, I said that the Android version was not a fork. Please read this article to see that the Play Store will be available:
    https://gigaom.com/2014/11/18/non-mi...nd-z-launcher/
    11-18-2014 02:42 PM
    In the post of mine you quoted, I said that the Android version was not a fork. Please read this article to see that the Play Store will be available:
    https://gigaom.com/2014/11/18/non-mi...nd-z-launcher/
    I think you're misunderstanding me. Unless Google has changed their policies, then as far as I'm aware, the minute you ship a forked version of Android, then you're never allowed to join the OHA, and thus, won't be allowed to use Google's services. When Nokia shipped the Nokia X, they forfeited the right to join the OHA. So, unless something has changed, Nokia should theoretically not be allowed to ship a version of Android that runs Google's services. I'm not saying the article is lying, but it shouldn't technically be allowed.
    11-18-2014 03:28 PM
    I think you're misunderstanding me. Unless Google has changed their policies, then as far as I'm aware, the minute you ship a forked version of Android, then you're never allowed to join the OHA, and thus, won't be allowed to use Google's services. When Nokia shipped the Nokia X, they forfeited the right to join the OHA. So, unless something has changed, Nokia should theoretically not be allowed to ship a version of Android that runs Google's services. I'm not saying the article is lying, but it shouldn't technically be allowed.
    Even the Nook, which ran an Android fork, has the Google Play store now: Barnes & Noble adds Google Play store to its tablets - CNET
    11-18-2014 03:46 PM
    I read only the first page, so sorry I this was brought up. Nokia did license the name to Foxconn, but what people at least on the first page seem to have missed, is the fact that this tablet is designed by Nokia. It's much more than just giving the name to someone so they can slap it somewhere.

I think this is great. Even though I doubt I would ever buy and use an Android device, I'm rooting at Nokia's corner. Time will tell what future brings, but I have a feeling we will see some great things from Nokia. I'm,sure the R&D they kept has some amazing things up their sleeve.
    Sonu K likes this.
    11-18-2014 03:55 PM
    All of you saying it is 'just a Nokia logo' on a Chinese tablet are wrong!

Just like the user Visa Declined has stated (and the Twitter pic), Nokia designed the hardware AND software of the tablet, Foxconn MANUFACTURE it. You should understand the difference. Foxconn manufacturers many things that range from iPhones to Kindle Fires to PS3s. That doesn't make iPhone a 'Foxconn device with a Apple logo' doesn't it? Same story with the Nokia tablet.

In conclusion, Nokia N1 is designed and developed by Nokia, both s/w and h/w, so it's 100% Nokia.

And by the way, Foxconn is Taiwanese, not mainland Chinese.
    Sonu K likes this.
    11-18-2014 04:21 PM
    Me, I not "bovvered"
    11-18-2014 04:35 PM
115 1234 ...