Wake up Microsoft you just lost Nokia to Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It will use Googles version, but in China it won't have access to the Play Store. They said in countries where the Play Store is available, it will have it.

How is that even possible? Google won't allow you into the OHA if you've shipped a forked version of Android.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
It is sad day for nokia fan seeing nokia going android ie google way.Now lets see whether they can sell it in India.
From Windows phone

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
In the post of mine you quoted, I said that the Android version was not a fork. Please read this article to see that the Play Store will be available:
https://gigaom.com/2014/11/18/non-microsoft-nokia-launches-android-n1-tablet-and-z-launcher/

I think you're misunderstanding me. Unless Google has changed their policies, then as far as I'm aware, the minute you ship a forked version of Android, then you're never allowed to join the OHA, and thus, won't be allowed to use Google's services. When Nokia shipped the Nokia X, they forfeited the right to join the OHA. So, unless something has changed, Nokia should theoretically not be allowed to ship a version of Android that runs Google's services. I'm not saying the article is lying, but it shouldn't technically be allowed.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I think you're misunderstanding me. Unless Google has changed their policies, then as far as I'm aware, the minute you ship a forked version of Android, then you're never allowed to join the OHA, and thus, won't be allowed to use Google's services. When Nokia shipped the Nokia X, they forfeited the right to join the OHA. So, unless something has changed, Nokia should theoretically not be allowed to ship a version of Android that runs Google's services. I'm not saying the article is lying, but it shouldn't technically be allowed.

Even the Nook, which ran an Android fork, has the Google Play store now: Barnes & Noble adds Google Play store to its tablets - CNET

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I read only the first page, so sorry I this was brought up. Nokia did license the name to Foxconn, but what people at least on the first page seem to have missed, is the fact that this tablet is designed by Nokia. It's much more than just giving the name to someone so they can slap it somewhere.

I think this is great. Even though I doubt I would ever buy and use an Android device, I'm rooting at Nokia's corner. Time will tell what future brings, but I have a feeling we will see some great things from Nokia. I'm,sure the R&D they kept has some amazing things up their sleeve.

User788

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
All of you saying it is 'just a Nokia logo' on a Chinese tablet are wrong!

Just like the user Visa Declined has stated (and the Twitter pic), Nokia designed the hardware AND software of the tablet, Foxconn MANUFACTURE it. You should understand the difference. Foxconn manufacturers many things that range from iPhones to Kindle Fires to PS3s. That doesn't make iPhone a 'Foxconn device with a Apple logo' doesn't it? Same story with the Nokia tablet.

In conclusion, Nokia N1 is designed and developed by Nokia, both s/w and h/w, so it's 100% Nokia.

And by the way, Foxconn is Taiwanese, not mainland Chinese.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Nokia's first device after Microsoft is an iPad mini clone that runs Android | The Verge Nokia has came back into the device game with a Tablet. But not with Windows, with Android. (Larry Page is having a party because Nokia just put another nail into the Coffin of Microsoft). What the hell is going on up there in Redmond? Satya Nadella seems to be sleeping on the job. No way in heck would Steve Ballmer let Nokia do this To Microsoft. He would sue Nokia for Violating there deal they had in place. Keep the Nokia name on the phones and try to buy out the whole company. People ask why Microsoft is having problems in the mobile realm? This is one of many examples. Ballmer should have sued Google directly to the point that they could not run android anymore, and Microsoft could have took over and improved Android to the point that it ran smooth. But because of Paul Allen and others who wanted no more windows, but more programs for IOS, and Android. We are going to see the untimely death of a great software company and Larry Page and Sergei Brin are going to cheer Microsoft's down fall. And it is all because Satya allowed Nokia to Make a google based Android tablet.

Nokia almost never lost a court room and I bet they won't violate the terms they had with Microsoft bluntly, Nokia is trying to keep its brand relevant until its allowed again to sell phones and then come 2016 it'll not be a has been company and will still manage to sell phones (albeit I feel they'll go the IPhone way of business)

Satya is not asleep on the job, he's doing the right things, they're just NOT POPULAR for fans, A Nokia fan is always happier than an MS fan THAT IS A FACT. :)

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
sad its more of a betrayal imho
they could have easily released the tablet with windows 8.1 pro or atleast offered a variant or gone with ubuntu touch or firefox os or something
by going android,itll cause a confusion in the market with two different nokias(even if one is rebranded as MS)

Microsoft didn't take its OS seriously why would anyone release a Windows RT tablet or even a Windows tablet when the OS is a mess! They still haven't gotten Wifi to work probably on the Surface Pro 3 the company's flagship tablet. :)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Wake up Microsoft you just lost Nokia to Android.

shhhhh... no one say anything about the Nokia X. :grin:

But seriously, I'm a bit pessimistic about this tablet. The Nokia X phones were terrible. Nokia's Android skin was one of the worst and incredibly laggy. And has anyone confirmed if the tablet can access the Google Play store? I'm worried this may sell to Nokia diehards and no one else.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
They still haven't gotten Wifi to work probably on the Surface Pro 3 the company's flagship tablet. :)

Neither has Apple on their "flagship" products. Neither did Sony, Toshiba, Lenovo.... Wifi is tricky and to simply say that "they don't care" is dumb.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Personally I could care less about a Nokia device as I seriously doubt this will sell that well. I am here for lumia...Nokia just happened to make it :p

Best wishes to them though

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Same opinion here.
I think tablets won't see much growth in popularity if any.
Handsets are where the real battle is.

If you read the different articles about this tablet around the web, the guy from Nokia that was interviewed alluded that a phone was possibly in the works later on, if they see any success in this tablet. He didn't come right out and say it though.

I really don't have any doubt's that they'll design a phone.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
If you read the different articles about this tablet around the web, the guy from Nokia that was interviewed alluded that a phone was possibly in the works later on, if they see any success in this tablet. He didn't come right out and say it though.

I really don't have any doubt's that they'll design a phone.
They might co-design a phone with Foxconn or some other ODM in 2016 but they won't get into the manufacturing game anytime soon. It will be closer to the way Google works with ODM's for the Nexus line.

It would be curious if they decide to go Android or Windows for their next phone though or they could do like HTC and release for both since both OSes are now free, and in fact Windows could be cheaper if they have to pay MS patent costs for Android.

There is all sorts of irony going on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786