Persuade me to go back to Windows Phone?

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone, long time no see.

So after going to the Android world, I was a bit bored and wanted to try out something new. I took my old L520 and powered it up, updated it to WP8.1 and so now, I don't know the new features or cool things that I could do in the L520 8.1, so please tell me the things I have missed.

On a side note, do any of you know a good music player? My L520 can't detect the music in my SD card, and when I play music on a 3rd party music player, the screen freezes for 10 seconds.

Another thing, what are the must-have apps or good apps for the Lumia 520? Thanks!

- Dennis

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Funny, I was a bit bored with WP and decided to go to Android but to each their own.

Here's a few suggestions for you and just my thoughts. I'll add links at the bottom.

If you have nothing of importance on your L520 I'd probably hard reset the thing without restore and start fresh. If you can, use the Lumia Recovery Software Tool and install a fresh firmware. Reason I suggest this is that you'll have a nice clean phone to start from.

You can now load apps on SD card. If you want to set up the Developers Program you can get Cortana if you are in certain countries. Or you can set your region to US to get it. You can use the free file explorer app from MS to help you a bit with files.

Everyone always talks about Must Have apps but that's really personal preference. However there is a Windows Central list.

Windows Phone 8.1 - All you need to know!

All you need to know about the Windows Phone 8.1 'Preview for Developers' | Windows Central

Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 | Windows Central

Apps | Windows Central

Files | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Microsoft - UK

Last edited:

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Funny, I was a bit bored with WP and decided to go to Android but to each their own.

Here's a few suggestions for you and just my thoughts. I'll add links at the bottom.

If you have nothing of importance on your L520 I'd probably hard reset the thing without restore and start fresh. If you can, use the Lumia Recovery Software Tool and install a fresh firmware. Reason I suggest this is that you'll have a nice clean phone to start from.

You can now load apps on SD card. If you want to set up the Developers Program you can get Cortana if you are in certain countries. Or you can set your region to US to get it. You can use the free file explorer app from MS to help you a bit with files.

Everyone always talks about Must Have apps but that's really personal preference. However there is a Windows Central list.

Windows Phone 8.1 - All you need to know!

All you need to know about the Windows Phone 8.1 'Preview for Developers' | Windows Central

Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 | Windows Central

Apps | Windows Central

Files | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Microsoft - UK

Hey thanks a lot, I just tried Cortana and it is amazing. Tempted to buy a better lumia, but I'll try to explore more features.

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
1 Music player is cool to me and elegant. I am making playlists on computer and player sees it. It is integrated with Cortana.

2 Cortana is cool, she could turn off WiFi or start some applications, or just play music. I'm using for example "Remind me to... 5 PM " and she reminds me and creates reminders in few seconds. She could show you all reminders.

3 I like to put my favorite web pages as tiles on start screen or FB pages as tiles.

4 OneNote is so useful and nice looking app. I make lists and use checklist option. I used it for shopping mostly and some tasks. List is uploaded to OneDrive and your list is safe if your windows phone is somehow broken or lost. You can delete the list.

5 I like tiles and size changing and background color for tiles.

6 I forgot to mention that I like amazing speed of executing even on 512MB of RAM. So I can use my favorite apps such as FB, FB messager, WhatsApp, Viber, Telegram, Skype, ... in the same time and there is no delaying as on Android with 1GB of RAM.

These are my favorite things about WP.