Order <a target="_blank" href="/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fafflnk.microsoft.com%2Fc%2F159229%2F433017%2F7593%3FsubId1%3DUUwpUdUbU27%26subId2%3Ddwp%26url%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.microsoft.com%252Fen-us%252Fp%252Fsurface-go%252F8V9DP4LNKNSZ&amp;token=Br6VPTNo">Microsoft Surface Go</a>   <a href="/e?link=http%3A%2F%2Fadfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F127424%3FsubID%3DUUwpUdUbU27%26MPRE%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.dell.com%252Fen-us%252Fshop%252Fdell-laptops%252Fxps-13-laptop%252Fspd%252Fxps-13-9360-laptop&amp;token=zLmQ9gPA">Dell XPS 13</a>
12-08-2014 06:07 PM
90 1234
tools
    In the US, though, Microsoft is nowhere near that level of consumer awareness of Windows Phone or Lumia that you mention.
    I was talking about the US. At least where I've lived. Right now, I live in Seattle, and I see plenty of WPs around. Obviously, Microsoft has a large impact here, so I guess it makes sense. But I just moved from California, equally close to Apple's HQ as I am to Microsoft now. And even there, I saw quite a few WPs (Lumias, with the occasional HTC 8X) and I never met someone who didn't know what WP was. So, maybe it's a regional thing (more detailed than just by country)?
    12-05-2014 03:10 PM
    Or..what if Microsoft launched a Lumia Icon ll? I see it now, a new icon every 6 -12 months on every carrier. Continue the improvements on the operating system, maybe a overhaul and such, ahh one can dream. Honestly, Microsoft has to learn to be cool on their own with vision. Apple is the popular girl, Google is the jock, and Microsoft is the geek with the overalls trying to convince everyone his science project is "awesomer" than everyone else's. Regular people are too lazy to pay attention to the innovating things MS tries to push. They need shades and some hair gel.
    12-05-2014 03:25 PM
    Well, if MS won't stop the numbering, then maybe they should put the name before the number. And, as always, a list:

Lumia Starter 520
    Lumia Selfie Jr. 535
    Lumia Super Starter 635
    Lumia Selfie 730
    Lumia Intermediate 830
    Lumia Expert 930
    Lumia PowerShot 1020 (to appease you)
    Lumia MagnaScreen 1520.
    I forgot some entries in my Lumia naming:
    Lumia SimpleTab 2520
    Lumia MagnaScreen Jr. 1320
    Nokia WorldStarter 130
    Nokia Asha (the only named Nokia/Lumia)
    12-05-2014 03:30 PM
    Or brand it with a movie release - Eye of Mordor.
    12-05-2014 04:21 PM
    Look on the bright side. No matter how bad MS has handled WP, at least its not KIN :)
    12-05-2014 07:23 PM
    Look on the bright side. No matter how bad MS has handled WP, at least its not KIN :)
    That's it - the Lumia Snotkin - people will not soon forget that.

OR

name it after Joe, the Surface Belfiore

OR

the Surface Alledan for Satya (kinda like that one)

OR

the Surface Harpo, Oprah will give them away ' ... you get a Harpo, you get a Harpo, Everybody gets a Harpo ... '

somebody please stop me !
    xandros9 likes this.
    12-05-2014 07:35 PM
    You are right. Don't expect support form OEMs.
    1. Only Samsung can help MS but they are going to Tizen.
    Sammy will never give up tizen because they know the fate of oem.
    Think about Sony in pc market. Phone market has same future.
    Sammy will ditch even android in 10 years. WP is not even option.
    2. Other OEMs have no power to boost market share of wp.
    3. Phone market is already saturated. There is no room to make market share.

If so, MS has only one choice.
    Just keep making lumia alone. There are still many fans. Especially Europe.
    Who knows? Google may be blocked all over the world for security reason.
    Apple may go bankrupt suddenly. Cheap factory will end in China.
    12-05-2014 08:50 PM
    I was talking about the US. At least where I've lived. Right now, I live in Seattle, and I see plenty of WPs around. Obviously, Microsoft has a large impact here, so I guess it makes sense. But I just moved from California, equally close to Apple's HQ as I am to Microsoft now. And even there, I saw quite a few WPs (Lumias, with the occasional HTC 8X) and I never met someone who didn't know what WP was. So, maybe it's a regional thing (more detailed than just by country)?
    Here in East Texas, I see a lot of Windows Phones too, and everyone at least knows what Windows Phone is (though most who don't use it claim that it's complicated). I've seen 520's, 635's, a couple 820's, a couple 920's, an 822, and a couple HTC 8X's. I see them a lot more than I did a year ago.
    12-05-2014 09:22 PM
    The Lumia line up is as fragmented & illogical in the US as can be. How does an average consumer who sees a Windows Phone on TV & wants to buy one in the US know what &^$^%$ phone to get. 520, 521, 525, 535, 630, 635, 730, 735, 830, Icon, 930, 1020 or 1520? How the hell do they decipher that? Especially when you have to explain some are available in the US, but only on certain carriers, some are the same phone for different carriers & none are available on all US carriers or at the same time? What the hell of a mess is this?

Imagine the Iphone 6+(1520) only on AT&T, the 6(ICON) only on Verizon, but then cancelled after 8 months. The 5S(920) only on AT&T then 6 months later Tmobile gets the 5T(525) a 5S variant that looks completly different, then 2 months after that Verizon gets the 5U(928) another 5S variant that looks completely different than the other 2. There is the 5R(830) that is the "affordable flagship" that launches on AT&T then a month later on Tmobile. The 5Q(735) that isn't available in the US right now but might come to only Verizon next year. The 5P(635) that is available on Cricket wireless. The 5O(535) not avilable in the US. The 5N(525), 5M(521) & 5L(520) no longer sold in the US...

Bottom line is the Lumia line up is a cluster *!&% right now. They need 3 phones with names. Low, Mid & High on all carriers at the same time period. SO when the average consumers sees the Lumia ad on TV, no matter what carrier they have "that" phone is available at the store.
    12-05-2014 11:36 PM
    So you mean to say only people that aren't Windows Phone users will be confused?

That would mean globally over 95% of people(that own smartphones) would be confused with the naming scheme of Microsoft's Windows Phone provided they even knew it existed.

I like numbers as naming schemes a lot too, but sometimes it is just pushing it.

The Lumia 520, 620, 720, 820, 920, 1020 and 1520(some variant we're in between) was completely fine.

Much like how HTC One was fine. But the M8 is killing the name a bit, and an M9 would be a bit too much.

But as far as Windows Phones go, it's gotten way more confusing with tons of numbered smart phones doing one thing better than another.

Some people who don't have any idea about WP might only get confused!
    5XX, 6XX series is low end.
    7XX is mid ranged series.
    8XX series is higher mid ranged.
    9XX is high end.
    10XX is camera exclusive.
    1XXX is phablet series.
    I don't see a point to get confused.
    I would really don't want names like Lumia galaxy, sun, Jupiter or like Lumia 1, 2, 3 etc... Names can be more confusing than numbers for sure!
    xandros9 likes this.
    12-06-2014 01:06 AM
    Samsung Galaxy Light
    Galaxy Core
    Galaxy Alpha
    Galaxy S5
    Galaxy Pocket Neo
    Galaxy ...

Perhaps a hybrid, but I still hold numbers and something that can be quantified as opposed to names, which don't seem to really say too much about the phone. Although maybe the S conveys high end (despite S Mini's being midrange)
    Whether you believe it or not, numbers are easy to place in a lineup and make sense.

Although some streamlining is something I won't mind at all. (and maybe even pruning the lineup a bit)
    You've just made the case against MSFT terrible naming scheme. I am willing to bet that every single on of those phones you've mentioned has a user base higher than the entirety of Windows Phone.

MSFT marketing of WP is just TERRIBLE. I have no idea what the flagship is named or when it came out. I have the 635 yet the 620 has better specs and was released earlier breaking any internal logic of higher numbers equals better spec'ced phone. This unappealing naming scheme has got to go.

No one buys phones to do work on them. Not one consumer gives a flip about having Office on a tiny 4in washed-out screen, people want to play games, take and share pics and goof around on the myriad of social networks out there. Office is something you HAVE to use when your at work, why associated WP with that unpleasantness???

Carrier exclusives, an inferior OS and ecosystem are not helping things either.
    12-06-2014 02:51 AM
    I think the Lumia Icon has the sexiest name of the bunch. I'd experiment with some more non-numbered phones with the launch of 10.

Plus, numbers don't seem to have hurt the HTC One M8 series.
    Oh, yes it has! HTC is in very serious danger of going bankrupt. The HTC One released a few years ago was designed to stop the hemorrhaging but it failed; that company has been in trouble for a loooong time.
    12-06-2014 02:54 AM
    Lumia 1 Max + instead of Plus +, perhaps...

As for sales incentives, ssometing better than a free phone for the top performing salesperson would be needed. A holiday to someplace exotic would be a greater incentive.
    12-06-2014 03:16 AM
    Lumia 1 Max + instead of Plus +, perhaps...

As for sales incentives, ssometing better than a free phone for the top performing salesperson would be needed. A holiday to someplace exotic would be a greater incentive.
    Yeah that's a bit...over the top.
    12-06-2014 03:58 AM
    Over the top? Those sales reps probably have incentives from the other companies. A new phone for someone who works in a phone shop and already gets a discount? That's not an incentive.
    nohra likes this.
    12-06-2014 05:37 AM
    Microsoft has a bad reputation amongst a LOT of people.
    Depends where you live I guess. Definetely not in my country.
    IMHO The left picture is more like Google 2013/2014. The right like Apple. Not to be trusted and their customers are sucked in. I could just barely escape, but I'm safe now :) Microsoft in between pictures and looking a lot smarter since 2013/2014. The Microsoft brand value has also been rising into top rankings.
    So. You need a 3rd picture :)
    Dk92 likes this.
    12-06-2014 06:05 AM
    There are many reasons I can use to answer this question:

1. Microsoft doesn't have the blind following of Apple, who sold millions of devices while skimping on the newest tech features for years, like NFC, LTE, HD displays, and decently sized devices. Microsoft's legion of fanboy sheep is significantly smaller than Apple's.

2. Microsoft is, thus far, a terrible hardware manufacturer. They don't have a flagship device on the market, and there might not be one within their first 12 months of operation. They haven't released a Lumia 920 replacement for AT&T users in more than 2 years, and the expectation has now gotten to the point that they might not within the next 6 months, to boot. It's hard to compete with Apple's high-end devices when the BEST you can do is a pathetic Snapdragon 400-packing device that heavily straddles the line of mid-range and budget devices (low-end SoC, mid-range display, mid-range camera, good OIS, pseudo-abandoned OS).

Microsoft's fans aren't brainless, and Microsoft is being lazy. They will likely have to go it alone to succeed (given that the other WP OEMs are Android re-hashers like HTC and low-end device makers like Blu and Yezz), but until they decide to actually make a high-end device, their relative going it alone (as opposed to Android's inclusion of Samsung, Sony, LG, and any other company who can produce an ARM device) is going to fail. Their hardware at the "top" (I put that in quotes because the 830 doesn't have high-end parts, but is their undeserving flagship) is horrid, and they still can't find a way to get developers on-board in a timely fashion with many new apps.
    nohra likes this.
    12-06-2014 11:14 AM
    I forgot some entries in my Lumia naming:
    Lumia SimpleTab 2520
    Lumia MagnaScreen Jr. 1320
    Nokia WorldStarter 130
    Nokia Asha (the only named Nokia/Lumia)
    Wow, those are kind of a mess. "MagnaScreen?" No one's going to get what's going on there, and then having a version called "Jr." offers nothing, and has people just as confused as to where the 1320 fits as they are now. Basically, instead of trying to pick a new set of branding, they need to put together a consistent one and have a release schedule that is annually consistent, so people know what to expect each year. When you have one-offs like the 1320 and 1020, then unnecessary re-hashes with rebranding like the 525, 735, 810, 822, 925, and 928, you start losing people. They need to get a single device (maybe 2 variants, if the carriers won't play nicely with making a universally functional device), and it needs to have a consistent style and name across all carriers (looking at you: Lumia 822).
    xandros9 likes this.
    12-06-2014 11:19 AM
    Wow, those are kind of a mess. "MagnaScreen?" No one's going to get what's going on there, and then having a version called "Jr." offers nothing, and has people just as confused as to where the 1320 fits as they are now. Basically, instead of trying to pick a new set of branding, they need to put together a consistent one and have a release schedule that is annually consistent, so people know what to expect each year. When you have one-offs like the 1320 and 1020, then unnecessary re-hashes with rebranding like the 525, 735, 810, 822, 925, and 928, you start losing people. They need to get a single device (maybe 2 variants, if the carriers won't play nicely with making a universally functional device), and it needs to have a consistent style and name across all carriers (looking at you: Lumia 822).
    Well, I tried.
    xandros9 likes this.
    12-06-2014 02:56 PM
    It's funny how we are arguing about how Apple may have gotten the naming scheme right and why Microsoft should do the same, which would magically result in sales increase.

We'll it ain't that easy, Apple has gotten a hell lot else right and arguing about the name only isn't logical.
    12-07-2014 02:21 AM
    It's funny how we are arguing about how Apple may have gotten the naming scheme right and why Microsoft should do the same, which would magically result in sales increase.

We'll it ain't that easy, Apple has gotten a hell lot else right and arguing about the name only isn't logical.
    AGREE - when Apple released the iPhone, it was all over the place & continues to be heavily marketed. MS needs to dispel the false info about Windows Phone & demo the phone in their marketing campaign. They need a gee wiz feature to hi-lite in ads, make WinPhone a must have. (though it's NOT that simple)

As far as names, find monikers for 3 levels of device (Premiere for hi-end, etc), then when Windows 10 (for phones) drops, release the Lumia Premiere (subsequent models could have years, kinda like cars) a suitable hi-end device, as well as mid-range & budget devices.

I still kinda like Alledan for a model name (mid-range ??), has a certain cachet, it's Satya Nadella's last name backwards.
    Last edited by MDK22; 12-07-2014 at 08:23 AM.
    12-07-2014 07:35 AM
    Continuing on my idea, here's an updated list, which shows current models in my new scheme:

Lumia starter 3c (535)
    Lumia Starter pro 3c (635)
    Lumia selfie 3c (735)
    Lumia 3 (830) (go with simple for the flagship high end)
    Lumia pro 3 (930)
    Lumia PowerShot (from before) 2 (1020)
    Lumia MagnaScreen (BIG screen) 2 (1320)
    Lumia MagnaScreen pro 2 (1520)
    Lumia Tab 2 (2520)
    Surface 2
    Surface pro 3
    12-07-2014 08:41 AM
    Continuing on my idea, here's an updated list, which shows current models in my new scheme:

Lumia starter 3c (535)
    Lumia Starter pro 3c (635)
    Lumia selfie 3c (735)
    Lumia 3 (830) (go with simple for the flagship high end)
    Lumia pro 3 (930)
    Lumia PowerShot (from before) 2 (1020)
    Lumia MagnaScreen (BIG screen) 2 (1320)
    Lumia MagnaScreen pro 2 (1520)
    Lumia Tab 2 (2520)
    Surface 2
    Surface pro 3
    How about
    Lumia one(flagship)
    Lumia one mini(mid-range)
    Lumia one micro(low-end)
    3 different phones carrying the same name,the current naming scheme is a big mess, it makes people think that bigger numbers mean higher model which is completely wrong cause my 820 is way better than the 900, they should make 3 different phones, having the same name,but differ in hardware, that is way easy to remember.
    12-07-2014 12:09 PM
    Or why not just pull a "Year 0" type thing and just call it the Lumia?
    to_be_announced likes this.
    12-07-2014 12:44 PM
    I'm on psoham77 with the naming scheme, but with a few tweaks.

They should retain names with numbers.

Maybe a Lumia 5, Lumia 6, 7, 8, 9.

And a 0.5 is added to the name if it has some special feature (such as more RAM or dual SIM).

And some special names are selected for flagship devices, such as Lumia Crystal, or Lumia Selfie depending on what the phone has to offer.

Could we finally put an end to the naming argument and talk about something else Microsoft could use from Apple to increase sales?
    12-07-2014 01:50 PM
90 1234