If apple can do it alone, why not Microsoft Lumia?

felixl87

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Recently Huawei has said that it doesn't have any plans of making new windows phone devices which is now the news on every website, just a simple google search of "windows phone" returns with only that Huawei story, but if apple has made it alone since the first iphone, I don't think Microsoft should be afraid at all, it has the best phone manufacturing plants,it shouldn't be begging over new manufacturers, it should now concentrate on windows phone and the hardware division.
Microsoft has my backup! Am not going anywhere! Even if I rant sometimes that am sick and tired, I still find windows phone to be a better OS than there has ever been!, I was here when instagram arrived and I will be here when candy crush debuts!, let the devs whine, let manufacturers whine, time will come, they will have to give up!

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft has a bad reputation amongst a LOT of people. It just isn't a sexy, and they don't get what the average consumer wants. Let's face it, Lumia phones could have been design by Homer Simpson.

On the left: Microsoft. On the right, virtually every other tech company.

Attachments

• notsexy.jpg
    notsexy.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 362

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Because unlike Apple, the tech media and mass media don't kiss Microsoft's ****, every time they release a new device. They actually don't even notice or block it from their minds.

edit: seriously, "that" word was censored?! what if I had wrote it the way I originally thought it!

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Because Microsoft is approaching the game in a manner in which they can't possibly hope to succeed.

Name sounds like a small deal, but it's very big. The numbering scheme of Lumias absolutely demolish any chance of WP becoming iconic. Lumia 1320 isn't a recognizable moniker... iPhone is. Even if - by some chance - one of these numbered Lumias were to rise to any form of being noticed, they'd drown in the convolution of having so many alternatives available. There's the Lumia 520 on AT&T, the 521 on T-Mobile, the 525 that offers more memory... pretty easy stuff for us to understand, but it's absolutely alienating to the general public.

The Lumia 520 hit home... and it was lucky considering that the odds were against it. Learning everything about what made that phone successful and replicating it would be a viable option if Microsoft wants to repair what's got the most damage right now: their consumer confidence.

The Lumia 535 was a step in the right direction, but their adherence to the numbering scheme is proof they're not learning anything. Think of how different things would be if the iPhone weren't so recognizable... if they'd have named it the Apple A1387 instead. Calling it simply the "Microsoft Lumia" would have given it much more of a chance to 'catch on,' and paved the way for a *smarter* mobile division that realizes the importance of social appeal. Instead of having a hundred different Lumias, they could simply release one low-end cheap basic phone to start at $149 off-contract and be sold at $49-$69 per promotional deal that would mimic the sweet spot found by the Lumia 520... then have a "powerhouse" phone chock full of the latest and greatest in smartphone specs.

People ask about my Lumia 830 almost every time I whip it out... and honestly I don't even wanna get into explaining what kind of phone it is because I've seen enough of my Windows Phones invoke that "Ah, I'll never remember that name... moving on." response... and yes, that kind of thing cuts deeply into how well the interest for the platform can grow. That's something that should have been noticed and resolved ages ago.

If they wanna be real smart, they could even use the well-established name of their Surface lineage... one "Microsoft Surface Phone" (cheap little 1GBram 8GBstorage phone with a sub-par 960x540 screen, sub-par front/back cameras, etc...)... then a "Surface Phone Pro" (QHD IPSLCD display, SD805, 2-3GB RAM, etc...) and possibly even a third *specialty* phone that focuses on a ridiculously high-spec camera or the wicked touch mechanics fabled with McLaren... but never any more than three per generation. Take no freedom away from other OEMs, but let a selection of 2-3 Microsoft-created devices represent the WP platform. The stress to manage bits and pieces of specialty hardware updates would then disappear, it'd be easier to get just three phones spread across all regions/markets instead of the holes-in-cheese catastrophe we have now... and uniformity - CONSISTENCY - could be established.

Windows Phone can't gain traction without a recognizable name and proper handling... once those issues are resolved, devs will come easy. It wouldn't be easy to pry me away from the Windows Phone platform, but I wouldn't lie and say they're handling things well because they're very obviously not.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No keep the numbers, all they have to know is Lumia. Names like Pro etc would just muck it up.

Samsung uses names like many suggest and its hardly the example to follow, not with a portfolio this size.

They need to work on people actually knowing what Windows Phone is. Nobody hears about it, who can buy what they don't know about when there's almost zip marketing. (exaggeration I know)
They only thing people hear are the complaints of people who never touched it.

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
No keep the numbers, all they have to know is Lumia. Names like Pro etc would just muck it up.

So a simple name would muck it up, but all of the different numbers don't? The average consumer is confused by the numbers. They like simple. Whether you believe it or not, the numbers are not simple and easy to remember for the average consumer.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the flagship phones should have names.

I'd call the 1030 with 50mp the "All-Seeing Eye". Carry the the All-Seeing Eye in your pocket, wireless, no optical nerve.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Recently Huawei has said that it doesn't have any plans of making new windows phone devices which is now the news on every website, just a simple google search of "windows phone" returns with only that Huawei story, but if apple has made it alone since the first iphone, I don't think Microsoft should be afraid at all, it has the best phone manufacturing plants,it shouldn't be begging over new manufacturers, it should now concentrate on windows phone and the hardware division.
Microsoft has my backup! Am not going anywhere! Even if I rant sometimes that am sick and tired, I still find windows phone to be a better OS than there has ever been!, I was here when instagram arrived and I will be here when candy crush debuts!, let the devs whine, let manufacturers whine, time will come, they will have to give up!
What I think Microsoft needs to do with the upcoming Lumia 1030 (assuming it's actually coming) is bundle it with popular Microsoft services to create more product differentiation and appeal.
1.) enterprise user package: 2 year Office 365 subscription & Skype included with purchase of Lumia 1030 & 2yr contract.
2.) entertainment user package: 2 year Xbox Live Gold & Xbox music with purchase of Lumia 1030 & 2 yr contract.

If MSFT grows market share for WP, then that means more App parity.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hardware is not the problem. If it was, the partnership with Nokia would have solved it.

I never said hardware was the problem. I said get rid of the other OEMs to avoid companies like this bashing the OS. We got the hardware down with Lumia. Now Microsoft needs to fix this user experience.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So a simple name would muck it up, but all of the different numbers don't? The average consumer is confused by the numbers. They like simple. Whether you believe it or not, the numbers are not simple and easy to remember for the average consumer.

Samsung Galaxy Light
Galaxy Core
Galaxy Alpha
Galaxy S5
Galaxy Pocket Neo
Galaxy ...

Perhaps a hybrid, but I still hold numbers and something that can be quantified as opposed to names, which don't seem to really say too much about the phone. Although maybe the S conveys high end (despite S Mini's being midrange)
Whether you believe it or not, numbers are easy to place in a lineup and make sense.

Although some streamlining is something I won't mind at all. (and maybe even pruning the lineup a bit)

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
The biggest strength that apple has is ecisyestem. And they have brand name cache. You can not like their products if you want, but the stuff they make is very well built and reliable. Microsoft isn't really known for those things to most people I think. Windows computers have a stigma or crashing and instability. Macs don't. And many windows computers are just plain looking boxes or rectangles.

I think people underestimate those things. Not to mention MS got in the phone game too late

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Thing is, there is no formula on how to make a successfuly mobile platform. Apple has that certain cach?, despite going it alone in hardware, initially being locked to a single carrier (in the US, that is), and an intentionally limited product line that, for years was a single product and nothing else. Android, of course, is the total opposite. Many brands, every carrier, hundreds of handsets of every size and shape.

To say that an over-abundance of models for Lumia is a little off, IMO. Nokia had a purpose for each of them, and while there is some overlap, I think three models would be insufficient. I honestly don't know what the answer is, maybe there is no simple answer. But to over analyze the competition to divine their secrets would be folly.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
If they really need a rename of their Lumia lineup then why not start off fresh? Microsoft Lumia 1 to 5 (1 from low end, 3 for high end, 4 for 1020ish, 5 for 1520ish) powered by Windows 10, it's like your PC BUT ON YOUR PHONE!

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
IOS or any Apple devices looks great and feels like luxury, simple as that. They may copy a lot of stuff from rival OS but it will always turn out pretty good. IOS has a lot of support from devs windows phone does not. IOS will always have the better quality apps, which I can say most of windows phone apps are junk. IOS is a perfected OS windows phone is not. Their advertising are maybe lousy but they always perfecting the selling points. IOS looks better than windows phone because it has a lot of animations. In short Apple devices has a lot more support than windows phone. And Microsoft is always focusing on lower end devices which is good for them but not for us because even the higher end model feels cheap.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I wish Microsoft would go it alone. Drop these other OEMs and throw out some amazing hardware and truly use all their strengths.

Imagine if you mentioned that to not only windows phone, but also personal computers as well. No Alienware, Hewlett-Packard, Asus or Samsung; the "one band, one sound" approach seems boring in a way, more choice is better.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Imagine if you mentioned that to not only windows phone, but also personal computers as well. No Alienware, Hewlett-Packard, Asus or Samsung; the "one band, one sound" approach seems boring in a way, more choice is better.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Eh, is it really though. If we shift focus to android for a bit, I'd argue that there massive amounts of different devices is a bad thing with things like OS updates.

I don't know, personally I'm conflicted about what OS to use. I like WP a lot, but then I know I would probably miss apps and honestly I wouldn't even know what to buy right now since there's no new flagships. With android I like that I get more device choices, but there's just these little hitches and slowdowns that annoy me. With iOS, I think they have the best spps and better overal package as far as performance and specs, but I don't like the lack if choice and I always feel like I have to go all in with apple.

So its hard.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I think the Lumia Icon has the sexiest name of the bunch. I'd experiment with some more non-numbered phones with the launch of 10.

Plus, numbers don't seem to have hurt the HTC One M8 series.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99