01-16-2015 02:02 AM
73 123
tools
    That sounds like yinzer talk to me! From Pittsburgh, or just a fan from afar?
    Yinzer, indeed. :)
    jmshub likes this.
    12-05-2014 11:24 PM
    So, to those who think the app gap is not a real obstacle, it is. The apps I am looking for are not just wish list, but all productivity based, for those of us who work and travel. When they are available on WP and not available with no plans to make an app available on WP, it is pretty frustrating. I usually suck it up when we don't have an app but can accomplish what I need to via IE, but in some cases, there is not web alternative. A perfect example is the new Adidas app for designing your shoes with a photo.

Enterprise is going to the "mobile first" design philosophy and if there are no plans to build for the few of us who use WP, we don't have the option of that product or service.

And if you didn't care for my original post, it stinks to be you. Too bad you have nothing better to do than tell people their legitimate complaints are not legitimate.
    hambubger likes this.
    12-05-2014 11:37 PM
    3rd party apps should only exist if there is already an official app like in the case of twitter. When a 3rd party app is the only option, the app could be broken at any moment by an official update, taken off the app store, missing features, or even result in peoples accounts being banned. Im grateful for everything Rudy has done but if the biggest software company in the world cant get the most popular apps on its platform after 4 years, what hope is there at all? And its not just about getting apps that are already out to the platform. Its being able to get them as they are released. Sure candy crush is on wp now but who cares? I played that game on my ipad over a year ago and couldn't care less about it now. That happened multiple times over the past few years with games like words with friends, draw something, temple run.... the list goes on. The app gap is real and it is the biggest problem with the platform. Ive finally made the switch to iOS because Ive lost any hope it is going to change over the past 4 years. User interface is not going to get people to switch to winphone if they are going to have to give up the apps and functionality they have been enjoying for years.
    techiez and theefman like this.
    12-06-2014 12:43 AM
    it would be great if MS brings in some form of payment through mobile operator in emerging markets like India.people in India are willing to buy apps but they do not want to pay through their credit cards or they don't have credit cards.First implement this system like what Nokia did with their ovi stores.Then developers will be interested I believe.The day android become very smooth without lags ND hangs. People even in emerging markets will leave away wp.
    From Windows phone
    12-06-2014 04:24 AM
    Assuming what you said is true, I see no reason why we, western customers should keep buying windows phones, they're not designed to address our needs and we can use all Microsoft services on other platforms with a similar and sometimes better experience. Am I right or am I missing something?
    Well, based on what I posted, the logic of that kind of a move by MS - which is pure speculation on my part - would suggest that MS is not deliberately ignoring the Western market/ consumer. It is just that the lead that Apple and Android have created is difficult to beat. So, MS has no alternative but to focus in on the emerging markets for traction for their hardware.

If you read the statements that Satya Nadella has been issuing from time to time, you will notice that he is plugging a "mobile first/ cloud first" strategy. But he is careful to do this in a platform agnostic way. Why? Because he probably knows that he cannot in the short-term beat Apple and Android in the Western, that is to say, in the matured markets. Taking this as a premise then I would have to agree that what MS is banking on is that the sophisticated Western consumer (and their Eastern counterparts) will opt for MS apps and services regardless of the platform that they are on. Simultaneously, MS is playing the market-share game in the East to be able to capture market and mind-share in terms of both hardware and software (apps and services).
    12-06-2014 10:24 AM
    Delusional a certifiable mental condition ? talk about hyperbole. LMAO

No, we just like Lumia phones more than their shortcomings.
    12-06-2014 02:27 PM
    Personally, I don't miss any apps, but I don't live life through my smartphone. However, the "app gap" will only be solved when the numbers of WP users commands attention, and that will not be solved by creating a new flagship phone that will sell in small numbers. MS is attacking the gap by creating lots of low- and mid-range models, which is where the sales numbers are worldwide. Think about it. An app developer wants their app to be used by as many people as possible, and the exact same app works (in most cases) on any level of phone. App developers want to see numbers, not flagship phones. So, celebrate the fact we are seeing lots of great and competitive phones that sell for cheap and are likely to sell large quantities, and will encourage app developers.
    aldridhl likes this.
    12-06-2014 03:09 PM
    No, we just like Lumia phones more than their shortcomings.
    Home run!

Less words seem to always ring true...
    12-06-2014 08:25 PM
    hmmmm yes
    There is never going to be a need for companies to write apps for MS mobile interface.
    any company can rely on IOS and Android to create customercare apps.
    If you are seriously devoted to your customer you provide a decent destop app for Mac or Windows.
    You will not bother with the stupid phone based OSes. It's is cool to do it anyway just letting the customers play.
    If you don't bother building a phone based OS app, some kid or nerdy person will do it for you.

MS is not helping the app-market by releasing app's that prove the api's are not ready, incomplete or plain stupid.
    Every nitwit is counted by MS as a WP developer but to reach the information you need to pay to become part of a developer community.
    Last month i tried to reach into my phone and see if my programming skills would be an addition.
    After downloading ton's of software packages ( visual something something) i managed to build an app
    But were are the real building blocks? Were are the functions we rely on for 30 years?
    Do we realy need to put in any command in the menu. Were are the system deep functios like select all?

The modern interface makes more sence on a phone but it still doesn't make much sence.
    It feels good. But there's is some much missing that some apps could never be made.
    MS can't even do it them selves so hoping for a nerd to do the job for them is pointless.

I run into some weird example on MS weird programming structure.
    Audio. Although it supports extreme high quality (i was realy surpised to play 24bit 96Khz on a midrange phone)
    the core of the audio cannot play two streams without a gap.
    Who cares? you think, since 95% of the music is streamed nowadays.
    Well i do. I want to hear my albums the way they were designed/recorded. If a shuffle function from i.e. an app of spotify ****s it up to bad but that is our choice. But not being able is plain stupid.
    I don't think W(P)10 will adress this because it's not sexy enough.
    It is a design error so big they (as we have seen on the desktop OS structure flaws ) will call it a design feature.

An other sign MS is not paying any attention to make it a decent OS is the USB connection.
    I have never seen anything so slow since the time i had to call the internet.
    And what garbage is the connection/synchronising application "Windows phone App"
    Did someone write that in 5 minutes or so? This is realy the worst featured desktop aplication ever!

A phone is a phone even when WP8.1 or W(p)10 is installed.
    But as a computer device it is a bit of a joke. A 3 wheeled talking car.
    12-08-2014 07:30 AM
    Exactly my story, only that I got a Moto X 2014. Also have the Nexus 7. I think me and my family are abandoning Windows Phone. Especially my daughter, who's finding so many cool apps in my Nexus (she's getting a tablet for Christmas). I feel like I'm kicking a puppy by ditching WP, but I've been with this since the early days, before Mango, using a Focus. Enough is enough. Besides, I can still use the fantastic Microsoft services.
    12-08-2014 04:14 PM
    It's a phone and a tech company, if your not happy find another alternative, first world problems.
    12-08-2014 04:26 PM
    Other than locating the nearest DD for me, I can't think of anything else the Dunkin' Donuts app could do. Yes, there is a DD app. As for mobile payments, Softcard now supports Verizon as well as AT&T. Funny you mentioned the Steelers, there was a Steeler app on webOS but no Dolphins app. Even then, webOS had the most unimportant apps available and nothing for fans of real NFL teams.
    Guytronic likes this.
    12-08-2014 04:34 PM
    It's not just iOS, members here hate everything that's not Microsoft.
    Coming late to the party, but yes, I agree with that. I'll never understand why people have to organize into little technology cliques, extoling that which they use and vilifying everything they don't. I use Windows 8.1 on the desktop, a Surface RT tablet, and an iPhone 5s because - after years and years of experimenting and working with different devices - that's what works for me. I wish Windows Phone worked for me, but it just doesn't. I don't hate Windows Phone because of that, just like I don't hate OS X because I run Windows. People really need to open their minds.

I consider Apple to be for people who want to appear to be "in" and who cannot do anything for themselves from a technology stand point.
    While I won't deny there might be some of that in the Apple user base, you're woefully mistaken on the whole. Of course, you have every right to have that opinion, even though it's wrong.

So, as 2014 comes to a close, I can't help but wonder, are we all just delusional to buy into what Joe Bellfiore is selling?
    No. But I do believe you need to be realistic about the situation as a whole, examine all of its aspects, and make an informed decision thereof. Microsoft has openly stated that their focus is cloud and services. In practice, they have brought features to apps on other platforms long before Windows Phone gets them, and they continue to do so. Windows Phone is obviously not a special flower in the Microsoft world; it's just another device upon which Microsoft can get users using their services. Given their new focus they're probably not going to push it to overtake Android or iOS; they'll probably be happy with a sub-10% third place. Because... if the focus is cloud and services, Microsoft is probably way more interested in getting people using their services on whatever platform the user chooses than they are getting them on Windows Phone specifically.
    12-08-2014 04:35 PM
    I'm curious why many users here are so anti iOS. It seems to be the closest to WP as far as smoothness goes.
    Not anymore. I've been using 5.0.1 for a bit now, Google has totally delivered on it's promise of the new runtime being as fast and smooth as anything else. I also own a 5s and Mini Retina. I used to be able to notice more stutter between those and android 4.4.4 but now I don't.
    12-09-2014 02:12 PM
    As for the app gap, it's not always about apps like Facebook or Candy Crush. For me, having mobile apps for my bank and local mass-transit system are more important than games or social networking.
    Pretty much hit the nail right on the head here.
    12-09-2014 02:16 PM
    I use wp as a phone nd media player.For my favourite apps Moto g is doing me good.Soon plan to buy nexus 7.So I don't feel app gap.But if wp is only your device then you will miss apps.Thats for sure.
    From Windows phone
    Ehh, tablets arent as App friendly as you'd think, on Android. You'd prob be better off getting a 6" phone and using it as a tablet.
    Guytronic likes this.
    12-09-2014 02:32 PM
    Not anymore. I've been using 5.0.1 for a bit now, Google has totally delivered on it's promise of the new runtime being as fast and smooth as anything else. I also own a 5s and Mini Retina. I used to be able to notice more stutter between those and android 4.4.4 but now I don't.
    This is true. 5.0.1 is a really nice OS. First version of Android ive really liked.
    jonnaver likes this.
    12-09-2014 02:33 PM
    Ehh, tablets arent as App friendly as you'd think, on Android. You'd prob be better off getting a 6" phone and using it as a tablet.
    Although even phone UI apps on 7-8" tablets still look and work just as well. It's when you hit the larger 10" full sized tablets that those tablet designed apps really stand out nicely. I still would rather have a tablet for complex games and ebooks. 7" is the absolute smallest I'm willing to go for that. 8" seems to be the sweet spot for ease of holding, portability, and view size
    12-09-2014 03:24 PM
    Although even phone UI apps on 7-8" tablets still look and work just as well. It's when you hit the larger 10" full sized tablets that those tablet designed apps really stand out nicely. I still would rather have a tablet for complex games and ebooks. 7" is the absolute smallest I'm willing to go for that. 8" seems to be the sweet spot for ease of holding, portability, and view size
    Oh, yeah you wouldn't have an issue with games or eBooks.

Ive just found a handful of Apps are awkward and even a few flat out missing on my Nexus 7. So much, that I don't even use it unless I have to.
    12-09-2014 06:21 PM
    What's more of a concern is the recent WP sales figures which is not encouraging and in fact worse than 2013 in terms of % of total number of smartphones sold. Developers will continue to see WP as an afterthought if at all. IOS and Android will always be where the apps get priority.
    12-09-2014 07:18 PM
    Hey I just realised that I never actually answered the question!

Are we delusional? Why, yes, yes we are. We are all delusional if we think multi billion dollar corporations really care what we think... :P

We are also delusional to think we know what they are doing when they say nothing, do nothing and show nothing but yet we care. :P

Yeah, we're a delusional bunch us humans. Putting too much energy and effort into meaningless things. :P
    12-10-2014 02:49 AM
    I was willing to put up with the lack of apps, but now I can't even go on the regular American Airlines website from my phone, and no one can tell me why. I have to have access to the website from my phone, so I guess I am getting an IPHONE. I hate it that there is no explanation.
    '
    01-14-2015 11:44 AM
    Delusional?

In some ways perhaps, but more like extremely hopeful overall.

Do I believe that the next os is going to solve all the issues with Microsoft or Windows phone... No... and only those who believes and states categorically that it will is outright delusional 😁

People either accept the limitations or get something that works for their own needs.... It's as simple as that.

I truly hope that all of the issues people have are fixed soon, but know that it's always going to be a work in progress and there will always be those who say " version xxx will fix it" even though it may take longer.. nothing is perfect in this world for everyone.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    01-16-2015 02:02 AM
73 123