[TOPIC] Should Lumia go with numbers or names? Is the numbering scheme confusing?

felixl87

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
My friend who has WP 7 Lumia 900, a guy who doesn't care about which WP version he has or his phone's specs, claims whenever we go out with other group of friends that his phone is better than my
L820, ofcourse the 820 is way better than the 900 apart from a few small features, now I have to open gsmarena and show them where the difference is and why I say mine is better,but some will still say," what don't you see?, you have a 820, he has a 900, have you ever attended a math lesson?".
On the Samsung part,of course they know that the S5 is better than the S3 or 2,they know that the S1-5 line is the most expensive, they know that the S5 is the flagship and now they ask me, "which is the Lumia flagship?", um......it might be the 930 or.....1020 or 1520 or 830....ohhh!! I forgot, there is also the 928!, again I forgot the 1530 and another "smartphone 2020"
Is the numbering scheme confusing?

Last edited:

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: My friend says that his Lumia 900 is better than my 820,is the numbering scheme confusing?

The numbering is definitely confusing.. It can and will confuse less tech savvy shoppers out there.. It may not be an issue for folks like us by its definitely an issue..

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've said before, I stand behind the more easily sorted and placed numbers.

I think this is perfect for a poll, huh?

crash0330

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I think they just went a little nuts with the whole numbers scheme, I totally see what you are saying Felix.
I feel like a combination of names and simple numbers would be better, For example instead af all of the phones being Lumias, perhaps save the Lumia name exclusively for flagship models, then maybe the 1020 like phones with big cameras might be the McLaren line. and in the affordable round they could even use Asha or something like that.
Kind of like what car makers do, like for example the Audis, they got the audi A1, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8. And from there they got different variants like the S1 or RS1, and S3 or RS3 and so on.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Numbers are way better. Words have different meaning in different cultures, whereas numbers are universal.

There's really nothing confusing about the numbering system if you just remember one rule - it's not one giant number but 3 separate digits with each digit representing something. Once that sticks, it's clear as day.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Numbers, if and only if, Microsoft can stick, consistently, constantly, to a simple number scheme, that makes logical sense with no goof Ups or mistakes. We don't want a hero phone numbered 221. If that is too much to ask for them to keep track of, then maybe not.

crash0330

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Numbers, if and only if, Microsoft can stick, consistently, constantly, to a simple number scheme, that makes logical sense with no goof Ups or mistakes. We don't want a hero phone numbered 221. If that is too much to ask, then maybe not.

We don't have a 220 Hero phone, but we do have a "heroish" 1020, oh and then we also have the budget large screen 1320!

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
High end (standard) device: Microsoft Lumia
Mid range device: Microsoft Lumia M
Low end device: Microsoft Lumia Lite
High end phablet: Microsoft Lumia XL
Mid range phablet: Microsoft Lumia XL M
Low end phablet: Microsoft Lumia XL Lite

They need to keep it simple. Work off of those product lines. Having a lot of products seems to be working fairly well, but the numbers are hard to keep track of. One might look and think things like "Oh, the Lumia 1320 is better than the 930" or "Oh, the Lumia 1020 is newer than the Lumia 930"...things like that. You've still got the selection of 2 high end devices, 2 low end devices, and 2 mid range devices. I think that lineup would work fine. There might not be the need for a mid range phablet, but you get the idea...everything branches off of just the "Microsoft Lumia" and for generations just add a number at the end. No confusion.

EDIT: Also, Lumia line is for all devices running their mobile OS's and Surface line should be for all devices running full on Windows so there's no confusion there either.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster