I want WP device with a keyboard!

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I came over from BlackBerry because of double typing keyboard fiasco with the Q10, Microsoft should stay far away from BlackBerry.

Ditto to that!! (Currently hunting down an 822 for this reason.)

Related to the topic, I think it is also important to consider that the OS would lack the necessary adjustments to integrate and feature a pkb, so the Q10/Passport/etc form would not be ideal. Something like the Droid 4, or LG slider, where you can hide the keyboard would be better suited, in my opinion.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft should allow physical keyboards onto wp 10 again just to differentiate from competition

Microsoft never said that Windows Phone couldn't have physical keyboards. No handset manufacturer is building physical keyboards because the demand is low.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
You cant even compare touch screen keyboards to Physical keyboards. Yea, I was a big fan of the Touch Pro 2 and even the text on the keys were fading because I used it so much (even have a spare one here).

For everyone says they don't want it or don't see a need for it, then get this. When I had my touch pro 2, I could type an entire large email, with CCing 2 people with out even looking at the phone once and still being 98% accurate. Try to do that with ANY touch screen phone, if you say you can, I call BS...

I would welcome a nice option with a very slim keyboard slider but, with all the other features we desire in a Windows Phone device (good camera, fast CPU, and the other trimmings)

Still rocking the LG Optimus C900 with slideout keyboard.

Yea, and Sprint carried a HTC Arrive that was a keyboard based phone..... but, I think that was a 7.X phone, not WP 8....

Was there ever from anyone that made a Windows Phone 8.X device with a physical keyboard ?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Until such a device exists, or until we have Bluetooth keyboard support, I would suggest we all check out a new app called SkyType, which lets you use a keyboard with your Windows Phone. http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ype-use-keyboard-you-really-love-project.html

While searching for a new case for my Lumia 635 (the phone is just too slick to hold onto without some sort of rubberized grip for me), I ran across a number of cases for Android and iPhone that attached to the back and had a slide-out Bluetooth keyboard, which basically converted the phone into an old style phone with a slide out keyboard. Some even slid out all the way and would tilt. I thought those were pretty awesome, and would love to see something like that made for Windows Phone. That way, I could get the device I want and the keyboard I want, and not have to settle for one or two devices that have a keyboard.

These days people want a thin phone. Period. That's fine, because from what I saw from those cases, a "keyboard case" could be added to a "thin phone" and it not add too terribly much bulk. I wouldn't mind finding a portfolio type of cover with a Bluetooth keyboard built in. First things first, Windows Phone needs to support a Bluetooth keyboard.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
WP with physical would be great, Windows 10 for Phone might bring back the keyboard, so you got 2-in-1! (phone, mini laptop)

something like Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro flexibility keyboard design, connectable keyboard like Surface Pro 3

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Yea, and Sprint carried a HTC Arrive that was a keyboard based phone..... but, I think that was a 7.X phone, not WP 8....

Was there ever from anyone that made a Windows Phone 8.X device with a physical keyboard ?

no, or i would have bought one, possibly.

later

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
These days people want a thin phone. Period. That's fine, because from what I saw from those cases, a "keyboard case" could be added to a "thin phone" and it not add too terribly much bulk. I wouldn't mind finding a portfolio type of cover with a Bluetooth keyboard built in. First things first, Windows Phone needs to support a Bluetooth keyboard.

I had one of those keyboard cases for my previous iPhone 4. It was bluetooth and was a slider design. Didn't make it any thicker than a Touch Pro 2. I don't know what the big deal is with people wanting a slim phone, the first thing they do is put it in an Otterbox or something similar and it becomes unwieldy.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I had one of those keyboard cases for my previous iPhone 4. It was bluetooth and was a slider design. Didn't make it any thicker than a Touch Pro 2. I don't know what the big deal is with people wanting a slim phone, the first thing they do is put it in an Otterbox or something similar and it becomes unwieldy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420335174.941930.jpg
The new era of slim phone 2015 just now became the new 2005.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
However, a BT Keyboard, full size or near full size, would be the greatest alternative when needing to do extensive work in a word document or excel spreadsheet. That would be AWESOME. I've seen some that roll up like a rubber mat and fit nicely into your carry pack. Pull it out, turn it on, lay it on a flat surface and start typing. Great when travelling.
I don't understand why BT k/b isn't supported yet. I think ios and android are already both supported.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Build it Microsoft! If WP makes a QWERTY slider, I might just come on board lol. I hate virtual keyboards. They're terrible on phones and they're terrible on tablets. Physical keys are so much nicer to click on, they're speedy and accurate, you don't need predictive texting, you don't need autocorrect, you don't need swiping, you don't need to download other keyboards or try to customize them because you don't like the stock keyboard.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Good news for everyone wanting a keyboard. It may not be exactly what everyone wants, but at this point, we'll take what we can get, right?

Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 will add support for Bluetooth keyboards

Microsoft has also released the Universal Foldable Keyboard that we will be able to use one our phones get 8.1 update 2, or, with Windows 10.

This is good news. It will pave the way for other portable Bluetooth keyboards as well, such as one built into a case for the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium