Why are MSN apps available on competing platforms?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
re:

Consider when Apple released the iPod. They were originally only compatible with OSX, and they were popular, but after making them available for Windows PC, sales exploded. They realized how crucial it was to make this product available to the dominant platform at the time, Windows PCs. So they did, and were wildly successful.

While MSN isn't a product like the iPod, they got to realize that if they want the product to grow, it has to be available on the dominant platforms, in this case, it is Android and iOS.

Having Microsoft products available on other platforms doesn't make them perform worse on Windows.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
re:

Because Microsoft isn't stupid, it knows that if it wants more people to use it's services limiting them to Windows Phone will not get them anywhere.

It's not like the apps are even that good on competing platforms, but if the past can tell us something is that Microsoft is fully willing and committed to improving it's own apps and services on rival platforms.

I wouldn't blame you for losing hope in Windows Phone, Microsoft probably even has lost quite a bit of hope in it.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: MSN new app for IOS and Android is available!!

BULL ****
what i'm really afraid about is that ms may update ios and android apps and keeps our apps slow and buggy!

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

This is starting to make me wonder if they will ditch windows phone on the phone hardware and go with android as the base OS.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

This is starting to make me wonder if they will ditch windows phone on the phone hardware and go with android as the base OS.

MS could ditch WP... but they will never go to Android, that would be like raising the white flag to Google and taking the humiliating feeling of defeat... besides MS already makes a lot of money from Android thanks to the patents.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site

I used these apps on my windows phone and they were good. Surprisingly, well-designed news apps are not really common on Android. These are well designed and the MSN Sports app is one of the best for monitoring NFL scores. Compared to the WP versions, I like these better as you can swipe left and right to see the different sections in the news. So far, I don't see any ads, which is very welcome in Android. They are very fast, faster running on Lollipop on an LG G2 than they were on my Icon. I'd give them close to five stars.

And yes, I too think MS is setting itself up to influence the ios and google markets, and focus on getting back the computer market share with Windows 10. Hope they can keep WP going, but they have some work to do.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

We don't have any problems with publishing our exclusive apps on other platforms, our problem is that the apps work better on Android, our problem if when MS update its apps on other platform, but not WP

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

well-designed news apps are not really common on Android.

News Republic, Flipboard, Feedly, Flyne, Digg are all examples of well designed applications on Android.

But what beats them all, IMO, would be the Google Play Newsstand which is built from the ground up with focus on design and functionality:

1418399476848.jpg
1418399488186.jpg
1418399498547.jpg

I'm not saying MSN news is bad but it isn't a design miracle either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo