Tom Warren Gives Up Windows Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I could see this coming a mile away. He's been trashing Microsoft for a few weeks. I don't care about Tom Warren, he can leave if he wants, it's his choice.

Andrew Gordon

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Just read his article and it just conveyed to me a pathetic human being. Can't decide whether to have another beer without an app to tell him what the weather will be like in 30 minutes; can't get to a meeting on time without an app to tell him which bus/train to catch. How did he function before apps?

I have to agree with other posters on here in that there was no reason to publish that article and it came across as a self justifying whine.

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I actually just came over to the Windows Phone platform from iOS (used a 4S and then upgraded to a 5C, then switched to a 1520), and a lot of what Mr. Warren stated is readily apparent to me as well. It kills me that there are several apps that I love that are just plain missing (Amazon Music, I'm looking at you) or are gimped versus the iOS/Android versions. Microsoft seems to be struggling to find its place in this "post-PC" world. Is the war lost? Maybe not, if Windows 10 hits a grand slam and delivers on the promise of true convergence between PC & mobile.

However, I will say that I hedged my bets on WP somewhat--I bought a used 1520 for about the same price I sold my 5c for, so I still have freedom to upgrade into a 2 year contract or sign a NEXT agreement if it doesn't work out. However, right now, I don't see that happening. So far, I would rate my satisfaction as a strong 8. I appreciate the concept of collecting all of the relevant communications from certain contacts--like my wife--into a single Live Tile. What a brilliant concept! And I love the 1520 hardware. Man, what a camera!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've used VSCO on Android. I uninstalled it almost as quickly as I downloaded it. I'm glad some of the Android and iOS apps haven't found their way to WP. I do miss Pageonce (Check) though, Mint has a long way to go on any platform. Mr. Warren's needs and mine are quite different but he has a soapbox and I don't. I do however, have man-sized hands that appreciate the 1520. Plus the fact that some of my supervisors and my estimators marvel at that beast. Au revoir, Mr. Warren.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
The problem with WP is not lack of apps, it's lack of any kind of support from Microsoft themselves. When you give a top grade Skype performance to iOS and Android and tell WP users to wait a year or two, that's when no other developer will come to WP unless they absolutely have to to get users like Candy Crash Saga. The minute when Microsoft makes WP their mobile priority and cut off Android support, is the day when people will start buying WP devices.

This exactly. It's Microsoft, not WP.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
This exactly. It's Microsoft, not WP.
I agree with the app functionality argument completely. The not supporting android argument will never happen and should never happen. Ms is first a software company more specifically enterprise software 1st. The grand majority of their money is from enterprise to wall themselves off would be a very bad decision.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Whatever the only person I need to satisy is myself and I like paying $40 for fantastic off-contract and fully capable phones. (520/635)

iphone offers nothing, i know as I have an ipad Air from work... a smaller version that can make calls..yawn

Android is flaky and buggy

Microsofts aim is NOT to take over the SmartPhone market...get over it . Accept what it is...good and cheap (and secure)

Could care less about what any writer thinks. Proof is in what it does for you personally.

Vernon Vincent

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm funny about this - but I don't see the lack of apps as Microsoft's problem. I see it as the app developer's problem. If I want an app on my phone, and it's not there, I complain to the app developer - not the phone maker. Blaming Microsoft for the lack of apps is like blaming your car manufacturer for potholes in the road. If I want Amazon Music on my Windows Phone, I damn well better be complaining to Amazon. We the customers have to demonstrate a demand for the app and we have to make sure the people who nominally make the app *know* we want it.

It's not like Microsoft doesn't make their tools available for free (Visual Studio Community Edition). The two factors that contribute to a lack of apps are demand and bias. If they are biased against Microsoft, then they won't see a need to develop in the first place; and if we don't demand the app developer make a Windows Phone app, they won't know that their bias is incorrect.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Whatever the only person I need to satisy is myself and I like paying $40 for fantastic off-contract and fully capable phones. (520/635)

iphone offers nothing, i know as I have an ipad Air from work... a smaller version that can make calls..yawn

Android is flaky and buggy

Microsofts aim is NOT to take over the SmartPhone market...get over it . Accept what it is...good and cheap (and secure)

Could care less about what any writer thinks. Proof is in what it does for you personally.
Amen. I buy a phone for me I could care less who else owns it, if it works for me great! As far as reviewers most these days are clueless and inherantly biased (its actually how they get successful, they find a niche plug it and by accepting freebies from companies giving them and extra access flourish). Just look at photography reviewers 95% of them are absolute clueless and the reviews often ridiculous.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I wonder what's going on. This week we've had Ed Bott and Tom Warren saying they're ditching WP and, on Windows Weekly yesterday, Thurrott and MJF gave a virtual epitaph for WP. None of them have reported even rumors that MSFT is dropping WP but they must be hearing something (vague hints). Of course, you could say that MSFT has been screaming that WP is dead recently by:

1. Releasing apps for all their services on iOS and Android
2. Talking about services more than platforms
3. Removing the Metro UI from Windows
4. Adding Android as a Visual Studio 2015 target

It's dead, Jim...

Vernon Vincent

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about that. Microsoft has already publicly stated that all Lumia devices will be upgraded to Windows 10. That sounds like a pretty firm commitment to me. The problem really is the app developers and the carriers. Verizon is a travesty for Windows Phone support. Their utter lack of updates is what drove Ed Bott away from Windows Phone (from what I understand in reading his article).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs