Tom Warren Gives Up Windows Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Surprised it took him this long.

Actually, strike that. What I should say is, how does Microsoft concentrating on android and ios sound now?

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Good riddance. Tom Warren gave up on Windows Phone when he joined The Verge. And MS should continue doing what it's doing. Bringing as many users to it's software and services as possible.

segasaturn

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I think its clear to everyone that WP 8 is a failure, at least in terms of the overall goal of gaining marketshare. For now I think MS has to put all it weight and energy behind a WP/W10 push and make sure that everything is lined up for a meaningful launch.

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
As a MS observer and admittedly somewhat a ****** (with some limits) this takes the wind out of my sails - so to speak. I've already voiced concern over what seems to be a rudderless phone division and this just underscores my concern. Of course Tom ditching WP doesn't spell the end, it just doesn't bode well to have yet another higher profile user ditch the platform. My biggest concern is I can't really find much fault with Tom's arguments in defense of him dropping the platform. If there were obvious flaws in his logic I'd feel better.. but I don't.

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
segasaturn - The problem is that MS needs to do this with all their product lines. MS can't focus all it's energy on phones, even though I'd like them to. Their goal of a unified OS over their product lines makes a lot of sense conceptually, but practically pulling it off may be harder than everyone realizes. I fear they have too many lose threads to handle at once.

Last edited:

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
He bought an iPhone 6 and wanted to defend his choice over WP. He did not need to write an article for that, lol

He works in the tech industry, he has pretty much the capability to get any phone he wanted, he doesn't need to justify his purchase.

I would much appreciate if you would read the post instead of immediately dismissing it when you see the mention of an iPhone or Android device in the article.

simpkijd

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what magical powers he will now enjoy now that his everyday life is not burdened by his choice in mobile operating systems... Good Grief. It's just a phone....

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Please try not to speak for everyone. WP has gained market share. Perhaps not as quickly as you'd like but Windows Phone is here and here to stay.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
He works in the tech industry, he has pretty much the capability to get any phone he wanted, he doesn't need to justify his purchase.

I would much appreciate if you would read the post instead of immediately dismissing it when you see the mention of an iPhone or Android device in the article.

I read the post and do not need your appreciation, so keep it with you.
I dismissed his thoughts because being a "so called tech blogger" he did not need to write an article as why he opted for an iPhone. "Got an iPhone, keep it with you" and there is no need to write an article for this as why he left WP. I am not interested in knowing what someone has opted and what left. It was his own choice to leave WP and there was no need to write an article for the same.

P.S: I did not doubt his capability to buy an iPhone, if you correctly read my comments. He can buy any phone in the world and guess what I don't care;-)

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The real drawback for me, personally, is Microsoft's unwillingness to push its own apps on Windows Phone. That for me is the line. Unless Microsoft can truly 'wow' me with Windows 10, I am going to take up the Moto X.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
His article is actuality pretty good and realistic. It states the reality. No need to be a butthurt fanatics.. I'm sick of whining on WC when people can't accept when Android and iOS does a better job. WC turned into one lame boring butthurt fanatic community from being the best.

tooly26

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I will really miss u timy warren ;) without u ms and WP will have no chance! Now all WP users need to buy a iPhone :p......
Omg.......
gEtApATaLkEd

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I sadly agree with him. I've been looking at the iPhone 6 lately too. I still have hopes for Windows 10 but it is a little annoying sometimes.

It's always a matter of "Will this app be available for my phone?" and 8/10 times it's not or they are but lacking behind in updates (including MS apps).

I'm also afraid that the "Windows 10 will be available for all platforms" could mean the end of Windows Phone in the long term. Because they'll only be creating one version of Windows. Therefore if the phone's popularity dies away, they're not losing as much as if they were making two seperate OS's.

Anyhow, it's sad but I'm also growing tired of the frustrations we have to endure. We always have to lower our expectations.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The problem with WP is not lack of apps, it's lack of any kind of support from Microsoft themselves. When you give a top grade Skype performance to iOS and Android and tell WP users to wait a year or two, that's when no other developer will come to WP unless they absolutely have to to get users like Candy Crash Saga. The minute when Microsoft makes WP their mobile priority and cut off Android support, is the day when people will start buying WP devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte