Question on perceived value

DS_9000

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Simple question on perceived value of Lumia vs other phones

Like many folks I had been waiting for a high end phone this season, and was sorely disappointed. In fact I have been waiting for ages for MS to release some decent enough phones on Sprint but that is a whole 'nother problem so.....

I have been hoping that an upgraded not carrier locked version of the 1020 would finally be available or even a non carrier locked ICON would be released but no joy and verizon has seemingly already bailed on the ICON so I took a good look at what was available the 830.

It is a good looking phone with some decent features and a nice design. It also seemed interesting to me and the affordable flagship marketing line sort of worked for me being a cheep SOB, at least until I took a good look at the cost of the phone vs some of the competition.

It seems to be way over priced to me and I wonder what I am missing here.

I am wondering if someone could give me a idea on what I am missing here that would make up the perceived difference in value.
I know folks don't like to get into the specs war however as a beginning place to look before purchase this is what folks will look at, and this is what makes me wonder what I am missing here.
In example of what I mean:

Not entirely Random Android handset Sharp Crystal Aquos (I do like the design of this one and was looking at it as well.)
General Specs :
5 in HD Screen
Quad Core Snapdragon 1.2ghz
Android KitKat
1.5gb ram
8 gig rom
micro sd card capable
8 mp camera with flash (No OIS I know)
1.2 mp front camera
Standard audio setup...
Cost 100~150 to buy the phone outright free for 2 year contract.

5 in HD Screen
Quad Core Snapdragon 1.2ghz
Android KitKat
1gb ram
16 gig rom
micro sd card capable
10mp camera with flash OIS
.9 mp front camera
Standard audio setup...
wireless charging
Cost 450 to buy the phone outright at the Microsoft store. or 99$ on a 2 year contract limited to ATT with a fitbit (tor really useful for me)

I am deadly serious here, what am I missing and what makes this seem affordable given the comparison.
The value does not seem to be there to me. IS OIS and wireless charging supposed to be a 200$+ value increase?

I want to believe I a missing something here what is it?
Scarily you could sub in the Samsung Galaxy S III with almost the same specs and an 1080p display and still be had at around 240$. why is a phone that spec wise basically meets a Samsung that is two model revisions old the best that I have to look forward to

Not really an affordable flag ship at the moment to me. What am I missing. :unhappy:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Pricing is wrong I will give you that. But...
1. Sharp Aquos Crystal is $240 and not $100-$150
2. ATT Compatible Lumia 830 can be purchased brand new for about $340 or less. So then the difference is about $100. If you need the link as to where to get this deal send a PM.

The Galaxy SIII looks better on paper but run that thing for a few weeks and you will realize that you need a bloat free Android experience (like a Moto G or Moto X) to compete with the fluidity of the WP OS on the 830.

I still agree with you that MSFT screwed up the pricing and processor royally on this phone. Also the 535 has a better selfie camera, c'mon!

DS_9000

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Sadly no,
1) The Sharp actually is at that price right now. That is the scary thing, it is 100~150 you can find it on amazon or Boost mobile in the US for that range right now perhaps for the holidays only........ The SIII can be had for around 240$......
2) I'll send you a pm about the ATT 830 for that Price but the closest I can come is the international version on amazon for 380..... Not sure what buying the international version would do for warranty etc. Perhaps nothing just my ignorance makes me wonder....

Also incidentally my wife has the SIII right now(hence why I started looking for new phones) and while not super fluid for an extra 200$ fluidity and responsiveness is a moot point.

In my mind sadly that aspect of Android vs WP cannot make the sale all by itself, it might keep you on the platform or make you love it more, but it won't drive you to buy the phone all by itself.

In analogy, it is like ordering two meals that are largely identical both from excellent chefs, but one comes with ice cream for desert and the other doesn't. If the meal that does is still much more expensive than the other that is not really something that will convince you to buy it, not likely right?
IF the value in the meal is roughly identical it may get you to rave about it to your friends for how great it was as well as discount the need to ever try the meal from the different chef though right....

I suspect I just want more than the market will give me at the moment but, I find it a bit disappointing. Wish I was missing a feature or something that it does have that would make seem it better....

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
The one thing that I feel is extremely important difference is the build quality between Sharp, Samsung and the Nokia phones. When you pick up the Nokia it feels like it was put together by craftsman who knew what they were doing. The feel of the Sharp, Samsung phones feels like someone knows plastic from top to bottom.

I have not heard near as many complaints of WP's becoming laggy after a few weeks use. If you go over to Android Central (our sister site), you will read many post of having to do a full reset after a few weeks to months because of the lagginess that has taken over. I think that can be attributed to Android OS versus WP OS. One is smooth and the other is not.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind that the unlocked Lumia 830 will get updates and no bloatware and potentially no updates on the Aquos on Sprint. But yes the Lumia 830 should have been priced cheaper.

walterg1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I can easily compare them by specs and reviews and the 830 will come out way ahead.
Did you know.

The Sharp has a plastic display, not Gorilla Glass.
8Gb rom means you will only have 4gb of usable rom, maybe less.
By the way the phone is not gsm and only usable on Sprint and Boost in the US.

DS_9000

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all for the responses. The ARS article is interesting. The poor performance of the camera was interesting and this is what could drive me away from that one. Other interesting thing I read about that phone was that there is not a speaker for calls but is done via conduction from the screen. Perhaps not the best for me if I want to actually make calls.

Actually the only available on Sprint, Virgin Mobile and Boost is not really a deal breaker for me as they have decent coverage where I am.

As to the 4gb left of the 8gb rom, hence the need for the micros sd slot.. Lets face it 32gb micro sd can be had for under 20$ right now.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all for the responses. The ARS article is interesting. The poor performance of the camera was interesting and this is what could drive me away from that one. Other interesting thing I read about that phone was that there is not a speaker for calls but is done via conduction from the screen. Perhaps not the best for me if I want to actually make calls.

Actually the only available on Sprint, Virgin Mobile and Boost is not really a deal breaker for me as they have decent coverage where I am.

As to the 4gb left of the 8gb rom, hence the need for the micros sd slot.. Lets face it 32gb micro sd can be had for under 20$ right now.
KitKat doesn't support SD cards as well as WP.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Believe me android has become smooth am having moto g it is not crashing nd freezing.That is why android has increased market share.It is not android of Jb days.Android has become less laggy nd freezy because of phones like moto g.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786