Windows Phone OS on Blackberry Devices - would it help or hurt?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys think there's any benefit that could come by Microsoft teaming up with Blackberry to make Windows Phone the default OS for Blackberry devices?

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Not much I think, cause its just another OEM, except if they team up in developing(which will probably happen if this happens)

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
If the two companies formed a partnership they could dominate the enterprise market. Blackberry phones running Windows probably won't happen as it might turn into 2011 when Nokia came onboard.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
In terms of market share? I don't think it will make a big difference... but it will receive lots of negative publicity and hate because some people will yell the Nokia situation all over again, every acquisition or partnership from MS is usually cover with hostility by some of the tech press.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
An OS with a 3% market share teaming up with another one with 1% market share? Of course! Together they'll dominate, having a total of 4% market share!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
An OS with a 3% market share teaming up with another one with 1% market share? Of course! Together they'll dominate, having a total of 4% market share!

"What percentage of a plan do you have?"
"I dunno... twelve percent?"
"I am groot."
"So what, "its better than eleven percent"?"

AluminiumRims

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
It will definitely hurt Blackberry. Windows Phone is garbage compared to BB10 and that OS is much more mature and rich.

BB10 is actually the best OS out there and unfortunately very few person know this.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
It would help because this is something new and exciting, but also hurt because it is new and exciting, particularly blackberry; they seem to want to live in the past with the range of phones they just released like the classic (which I do not mind, bring on the physical keyboards!) So much for being optimistic with this post.

Sent from my iPod touch 5th Gen using Tapatalk

Spikey Sato

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
well would be great would help they own more market and help maybe get there apps made on there phone. I love all our apps but there are some lacking. I think would be great if BB and MS teamed up. I know SOny & MS are already teaming up to make a windows sony phone.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
well would be great would help they own more market and help maybe get there apps made on there phone. I love all our apps but there are some lacking. I think would be great if BB and MS teamed up. I know SOny & MS are already teaming up to make a windows sony phone.

It is ironic coming from sony since they were more focused on making android phones that were able to run playstation items. But in a way it is good to see that we can at least have a mix of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Like I said on another similar post, I left BlackBerry because of the Q10 double typing fiasco, and I think Microsoft should stay far away from any company that handles problems like that. Other than the double typing I loved BlackBerry, I still like BB10 OS slightly better than WP 8, and the Q10 build is fantastic. Maybe if Microsoft bought BlackBerry and ran it them self. The other issue would be engineering WP OS to work on a mechanical keyboard, that would be an investment in a very small market share.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think there's a lot of potential for BlackBerry if they fully adopt the Microsoft ecosystem. I'm talking Office 365, OneDrive, Skype, the whole suite. Businesses would love having the security of BB but also the ability to interact with standard Office software. I don't think BB is interested though.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I think there's a lot of potential for BlackBerry if they fully adopt the Microsoft ecosystem. I'm talking Office 365, OneDrive, Skype, the whole suite. Businesses would love having the security of BB but also the ability to interact with standard Office software. I don't think BB is interested though.

OneDrive and Skype are already available with BB10, as well as full integration with Outlook mail, calendar, and contacts.

The only thing missing is the office 365 for BB10.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The way Chen is righting that ship, I can't see why he would be interested in joining forces with MS. Microsoft needs to keep BB firmly in their rear view mirror. The eternal cries of "no new flagships" and new BBs being released could be enough of a crease for BlackBerry to creep back into 3rd place.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
The way Chen is righting that ship, I can't see why he would be interested in joining forces with MS. Microsoft needs to keep BB firmly in their rear view mirror. The eternal cries of "no new flagships" and new BBs being released could be enough of a crease for BlackBerry to creep back into 3rd place.
Don't think so... First, Blackberry released of the passport is kind of a joke from a consumer point of view. It is a phone that was designed with the business people in mind and not for someone that love to watch videos or movies. Try to view videos in that thing, a square display... Lol. Last, the other blackberry released was the classic which is just a typical blackberry phone... Nothing really interesting... How you think they will beat WP in market share? Not even in your dreams will happen.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't think so... First, Blackberry released of the passport is kind of a joke from a consumer point of view. It is a phone that was designed with the business people in mind and not for someone that love to watch videos or movies. Try to view videos in that thing, a square display... Lol. Last, the other blackberry released was the classic which is just a typical blackberry phone... Nothing really interesting... How you think they will beat WP in market share? Not even in your dreams will happen.

You've obviously been conditioned to think that smartphones are only for media consumption and the fine folks in Cupertino and Mountain View should be commended for that. BlackBerry lost a lot of users when they went with the Z10 and its all-touch interface. The fact that WP took over 3rd place while battling OS7 devices tells you all you need to know. The Passport jokingly sold out both of its 200k allotments and is still trying to fill orders even though it's expensive and has no carrier support. The Classic will have carrier support in Europe, Canada and the US. Wake up and smell the coffee, it's a threat and it's real.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3