After all the experiences...would you stay or say goodbye?

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually, MSFT can do a lot to change some of the negative perceptions. They're working on this,but the pace is a bit slow - that's killing them in the interim.

People forget how large of a company MSFT is. And the problem behind that is when you talk of a grand vision and you're a big company that makes changes slowly, it is difficult to keep up with the market or even set the pace for the marketplace. MSFT separately has made some very good products but due to the siloed nature of the company their integration is taking a lot longer than expected. Nadella has even admitted about who siloed the company has been.

No OS will fit everyone. Apple, Google and MSFT care to lock users into their ecosystem and make it appealing for people to stay - retention of users leads to consistent profits. That's why many average users find it hard to switch platforms, and some find it jarring to jump to Windows. Truth be told, as devices get more powerful, people's expectations change. Not everyone can afford to constantly upgrade. So if someone is investing in a piece of tech for a while, getting the best bang for buck is essential.

For some professional careers, iOS has the best support. In my workplace, most of the medical clinicians have iOS. The medical apps on there are pretty robust. The few who use android do so more of out of personal use. No one has a WP. Our local IT designed an app for patients to stay in contact with the clinic launched an iOS version first, then an Android app. There are no plans for windows, as most of the patients use an Android or iOS device. I can count the number of WP I've seen on hand in the past 2 years in the clinic I've seen, mostly the 8X and the 521. This a facility that averages 11,000 visits by youth annually.

I have a friend who is a pilot and has been a windows supporter for years. He's got an iPhone and an iPad though for his flying needs because of the strong app development. He likes the surface line, bit won't use because it lacks those critical apps for him. In both cases, I wouldn't dare talk about WP as a viable option.

MSFT has to leverage the universal app idea by making its core apps the true benchmark for developers. They have to get new, well designed version 1 apps in the store...not some bull**** redesign/decoupling (Xbox Music) that took constant updates to get it back to what it once was. This also applies to promoting the good indie devs to build those apps like Jay and Rudy as gold standards too. And finally building better links with those companies with make cross platform apps, as some of the cross platform apps are not as equal on WP.

I came to WP because of potential and the idea of less app realince for more OS efficiency. There isn't as much OS efficiency because while what it does it does well, new features have been added too slowly from a historical view. Most people don't buy tech on what it can do in the future, they do so for what it can do today. That's the perception MSFT has to fight.

It is such a long climb. MSFT has the #3 Mobile OS locked down, but it is to be determined whether it is still seen as a viable option or something people will develop for just because it is necessary and as such keep making half assed options.

Posted Approved by Nexus 7 (2013)

These are both, very good and valid points or reasons. From the perspective of someone using either iOS or Android and dealing with the question of switching to Windows Phone or not, that is. The major point in this and other discussions like that is, that people aren't satisfied with Windows Phone, hence considering to make the switch to Android or iOS. See, even though you made very valid arguments, business related apps are certainly not, what most users here are referring to. What they are missing from WP is hipster apps like Snapchat and the likes. Apps that are far from being crucial or vial or of any serious use. And that is mainly what I was referring to.
Apart from that I agree with you concerning that Microsoft is still acting slower than can be good for themselves and their platform(s).

Vince925

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
My only concern is what is going on with a flagship Windows Phone? Is Microsoft punting that market to focus on low to mid range (where their sales have been?) With out sounding snobbish, I'm tired of every new phone having lower specs than my almost 2 year old 925. With the iphone 6 out and the s6 on the way, I need to see something.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
These are both, very good and valid points or reasons. From the perspective of someone using either iOS or Android and dealing with the question of switching to Windows Phone or not, that is. The major point in this and other discussions like that is, that people aren't satisfied with Windows Phone, hence considering to make the switch to Android or iOS. See, even though you made very valid arguments, business related apps are certainly not, what most users here are referring to. What they are missing from WP is hipster apps like Snapchat and the likes. Apps that are far from being crucial or vial or of any serious use. And that is mainly what I was referring to.
Apart from that I agree with you concerning that Microsoft is still acting slower than can be good for themselves and their platform(s).

This is where MSFT can be creative. I liked the idea of them building the Facebook app back in the day,but the execution wasn't so great. They can, and possibly should, try to cut a deal with some of these app makers to say that if they won't get the official app, to at least have one approved unofficial 3rd party app to fill the gap. There is no sense in an indie developer making an app that gets pulled eventually. Doesn't encourage creativity.

Even though my point applies for people who won't switch from iOS or Android to WP, the reverse is true...I went to Android as a daily driver to have better access to apps that fit my needs more because the core apps on WP I use I got better versions on Android. It doesn't mean I fully embrace Google, it is just that MSFT's Android apps makes it easier for me to use the OS flexibility and wider 3rd party app selection and yet minimize my Google core app usage.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Why Abandon Ship?

Hello all. I'm posting this as a result of a post I just saw on this forum.

The poster was asking if, with all the experiences we've had with Windows Phone, are you still sticking around or switching? Some of the response was they would be leaving. Some say Windows Phone still needs to mature. (SMH)

I find it rather sad that some of you say WP needs to mature and yet are jumping ship for the same reason "it needs to mature." Yes. WP still has a long way to go but then, how would the guys at Microsoft know what we want on WP if we all abandon ship?

The other day, I was having a discussion with my Android friends on Twitter on WP vs Android. And one of them said something that made sense. He said, and I'm paraphrasing "Android got to where they are today cos at the early stages the users were vocal about what and what they need/want on the OS"

Now I'm not saying Android is perfect, but I'm trying to point out something. Windows Phone actually has the potential to be the best mobile OS but then if we all abandon ship, how does it achieve this? Yes, some of us are vocal with what we want with WP, and I'm particularly glad that Microsoft is paying attention to what we say through the user voice channels and also to the point of having some of their staff join us on this forum.

Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is this; WE SHOULD NOT ABANDON SHIP. Yes, WP really has a long way to go and sadly, the guys at Redmond are pretty slow with implementing features (and this sucks big time!) but then, they need our support! Think about it for a minute, what do you think will become of our dear Windows Phone if we should all abandon ship?

Thank you for your time and I'm sorry, I didn't intend to write a post this long but I do hope my point hit the mark.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This is where MSFT can be creative. I liked the idea of them building the Facebook app back in the day,but the execution wasn't so great. They can, and possibly should, try to cut a deal with some of these app makers to say that if they won't get the official app, to at least have one approved unofficial 3rd party app to fill the gap. There is no sense in an indie developer making an app that gets pulled eventually. Doesn't encourage creativity.

Even though my point applies for people who won't switch from iOS or Android to WP, the reverse is true...I went to Android as a daily driver to have better access to apps that fit my needs more because the core apps on WP I use I got better versions on Android. It doesn't mean I fully embrace Google, it is just that MSFT's Android apps makes it easier for me to use the OS flexibility and wider 3rd party app selection and yet minimize my Google core app usage.

There is little doubt that Microsoft can, no, HAVE to, improve the way they handle things. Be it how they interact with the big players like Facebook and Co, or the way they prioritize their own services across platforms (which from a business kind of view is still comprehensible).
MS' core apps are working fine for me. Not perfect, certainly not. But fine. They're working well enough that I wouldn't consider jumping ship just because their Android and iOS counterparts are better. The thing that I consider truly magnificent and a game changer - especially since neither Google nor Apple have to potential of offering the same experience - is the whole universal thing. Even though it's still in its early stages, you can see the advantages right now. I've been purchasing apps and games on my Windows Phone that I won't have to purchase on my Surface again. I can just go ahead and download them. And I'm not talking to some badly scaled phone version here, but a version that has been specifically designed for tablet. Something so far only known from iOS. With the Xbox One opening up for 3rd party devs as well, we're gonna see the very same advantages there too.

CoffeeFriday

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
The only app I'm missing is an official Steam app. My bank made a very nice app for WP and I have apps for everything else. I just hope Microsoft will step up in the new year and develop the platform way more and most important - Faster. IPhone isn't an option for me since it's overpriced, and I'm not the biggest fan of Android. WP is a nice and fluid OS.

Also: They should stop releasing their apps for iOS and Android. It's pretty pathetic

mayblast

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is such a big house it moves slow and is notorious for not letting users' opinions get in their way. So it'll take a good couple of years for them to realize nobody's using their mobile OS.

Downside of Android, besides of all its other great flaws, is that it has no computer OS to back it up (sure Chromebooks but come on). When used hand in hand with computers they simply can not compete. OSX+iOS and W+WP have this thing called connectivity between devices. Sure the same apps work cross-platform, but stuff like in the latest iOS really brings "one device everywhere" closer.

I've an OS X computer, an Android tablet and a Windows Phone. Guess which one goes out the window first. WP is my fave mobile OS while OS X suits perfect for my taste workwise, so I must say I'm excited to see what future brings for W10 and peripherals. But, while other mobile platforms go ahead in more privacy, the only thing we actually know of WP10 is that it's closer to year before we get our hands on it - so they really can not expect customers to stay loyal that long. There is not a single day I wished some other company had come up with WP, a smaller company that had a genuine need and thrive to move forwards fast.

They want loyalty, they might want to do something about it. I'd start by shooting their PR+Marketing Depts. straight outta planet Earth because just firing them would not be good enough.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why Abandon Ship?

Hello all. I'm posting this as a result of a post I just saw on this forum.

The poster was asking if, with all the experiences we've had with Windows Phone, are you still sticking around or switching? Some of the response was they would be leaving. Some say Windows Phone still needs to mature. (SMH)

I find it rather sad that some of you say WP needs to mature and yet are jumping ship for the same reason "it needs to mature." Yes. WP still has a long way to go but then, how would the guys at Microsoft know what we want on WP if we all abandon ship?

The other day, I was having a discussion with my Android friends on Twitter on WP vs Android. And one of them said something that made sense. He said, and I'm paraphrasing "Android got to where they are today cos at the early stages the users were vocal about what and what they need/want on the OS"

Now I'm not saying Android is perfect, but I'm trying to point out something. Windows Phone actually has the potential to be the best mobile OS but then if we all abandon ship, how does it achieve this? Yes, some of us are vocal with what we want with WP, and I'm particularly glad that Microsoft is paying attention to what we say through the user voice channels and also to the point of having some of their staff join us on this forum.

Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is this; WE SHOULD NOT ABANDON SHIP. Yes, WP really has a long way to go and sadly, the guys at Redmond are pretty slow with implementing features (and this sucks big time!) but then, they need our support! Think about it for a minute, what do you think will become of our dear Windows Phone if we should all abandon ship?

Thank you for your time and I'm sorry, I didn't intend to write a post this long but I do hope my point hit the mark.

Users have been vocal on ways to improve from WP form since Windows Phone 7.0. Can you count the number of those suggestions that MSFT have taken from the user base and added to the platform as improvements since then? Probably not as much as you may think they have. Android partly had the blessing of from the indie developers an enthusiasts point of view being as OS that was attractive to the old WM tinkerers who bailed because WP 7.0 was so restrictive. Android also had the element of Apple being so closed off with their iPhone distribution that many folks needed access to something else (Hence the Droid from Moto and HTC Hero as key springboard devices). If you look at Android, Google has added some features debuted by OEMs in their skins into the next version of the base OS.

WP is playing in a different market now, with two established alternatives.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
At this point, I'd need a lot to move away from Windows Phone. I have a Windows 8.1 ThinkPad which is my "getting work done" machine, a Venue 8 Pro that is my companion device, and a Lumia 1520 for my mobile device. Maybe if there was a seven inch Galaxy Note that had voice and data, and had improved integration with Microsoft services and a camera on par with the PureView branding, I could be convinced to switch (and consolidate my device portfolio).

shishu1

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Oh yes I'm definitely staying. The reason most people cite for leaving the os is that it's confusing and of course the app gap. Imo the OS is cleaner and clearer and the app gap doesn't affect me. all the apps that I need are present- 6tag for instagram, tubecast for YouTube, wptorrent for torrents; the list goes on.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Here are two analogies here to consider:

1) WP development as a viable OS in the marketplace is no different than a developing capitalistic country trying to find long term economic stability while playing in the same marketplace as the G8 nations. But the difference here is MSFT has the resources to make adjustments needed for success.

2) Consumers vote with their wallets. When people didn't buy the Lumia 810 and t-mo killed support 4 months later, instead of other WP members applying pressure to MSFT, Nokia and T-Mobile, those users were laughed at (I was a former 810 user). It isn't like those companies wouldn't listen...when Verizon tried to shaft 822 users about giving the! 8.1, that user base rallied and they got the updates. And when Verizon again killed off the Icon in under 10 months, people laughed at those users for being whiny. As the previous poster said, MSFT is notorious for not listening to users so it is more of the same for a while (especially with the delay in a high end model).

Of all the options out there, an integrated Windows approach potentially has the best fit for my needs. But I dual use because I trust that by the time MSFT right, not enough people will care...and everyone will feel like those Lumia 810 users.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Users have been vocal on ways to improve from WP form since Windows Phone 7.0. Can you count the number of those suggestions that MSFT have taken from the user base and added to the platform as improvements since then? Probably not as much as you may think they have. Android partly had the blessing of from the indie developers an enthusiasts point of view being as OS that was attractive to the old WM tinkerers who bailed because WP 7.0 was so restrictive. Android also had the element of Apple being so closed off with their iPhone distribution that many folks needed access to something else (Hence the Droid from Moto and HTC Hero as key springboard devices). If you look at Android, Google has added some features debuted by OEMs in their skins into the next version of the base OS.

WP is playing in a different market now, with two established alternatives.

I did mention that MSFT is (annoyingly) slow with implementing our suggestions/recommendations and really, (for some) it's a valid reason to quit. Like some one commented, people buy phones cos of what it can do NOW and not what it will do in future. I just hope that those guys at Redmond would speed up things cos truly if we all abandon ship, WP would be a lost cause and probably a laughing stock from guys at Android and iOS (heck even BlackBerry!)

I am hopeful about WP10 (and hope MSFT doesn't disappoint.) but then, why do we have to wait almost a year for it? Also not forgetting the issue of populating the market with low- and mid-range devices and no high end. Business wise, I may not understand how it works for them but it's not cool, Microsoft. Not cool.

Oh yes I'm definitely staying. The reason most people cite for leaving the os is that it's confusing and of course the app gap. Imo the OS is cleaner and clearer and the app gap doesn't affect me. all the apps that I need are present- 6tag for instagram, tubecast for YouTube, wptorrent for torrents; the list goes on.

I agree with this and staying glued to WP for almost the same reason and more.

Other reasons include: iOS is actually boring. Android is notorious for lagging, even with all it's customizations, custom ROMS and what not, they eventually kill your device down the road.

And for those saying WP is "confusing", IMO, the OS is as simple as it can be and easy to pick up.

Last edited by a moderator:

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm staying with WP. No reason for me to consider going to another platform. They currently have the apps I need and many others that I have tried but not needed. I love the interface and the general flow of the OS. I've had a 928, Icon, and M8. I consider all of them very good phones.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I did mention that MSFT is (annoyingly) slow with implementing our suggestions/recommendations and really, (for some) it's a valid reason to quit. Like some one commented, people buy phones cos of what it can do NOW and not what it will do in future. I just hope that those guys at Redmond would speed up things cos truly if we all abandon ship, WP would be a lost cause and probably a laughing stock from guys at Android and iOS (heck even BlackBerry!)

I am hopeful about WP10 (and hope MSFT doesn't disappoint.) but then, why do we have to wait almost a year for it? Also not forgetting the issue of populating the market with low- and mid-range devices and no high end. Business wise, I may not understand how it works for them but it's not cool, Microsoft. Not cool.

I agree with this and staying glued to WP for almost the same reason and more.

Other reasons include: iOS is actually boring. Android is notorious for lagging, even with all it's customizations, custom ROMS and what not, they eventually kill your device down the road.

And for those saying WP is "confusing", IMO, the OS is as simple as it can be and easy to pick up.

MSFT probably decided for right now that if they weren't going to put out their own flagship in time for the holiday season, let's just finish up the Nokia projects, which were low end and build some market share in emerging markets. I guess they know what they're doing as this is better than throwing out another overpriced but middling mid range model on the spec sheet (Lumia 830).

I actually said on this thread you but a phone for what it can do now as opposed to potential. All phone OSes experience lag...that "resuming" screen MSFT uses constitutes as an example of lag also.

At the end of the day the market is better with MSFT using WP as a viable option. I'll continue to dual use with Android and keep my eye on the platform...if MSFT gets better I have no issue using WP as a daily driver.

Posting 1+1 Style!

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I have been on WP for a few years now and will be here for the long haul. I have an Android phone for work and have the ability to use both daily, to conduct personal and professional business. In my opinion WP is a far better platform for productivity and power users. I can draft and edit documents, manage all my email accounts, VPN, and use the unlimited storage in one drive. The Android is slower and the lack of a productivity suite is felt.
Just my two cents.

Android has Office Mobile, which is like Office on WP8 except BETTER. So how is WP8 a better platform for productivity when Android has better productivity tools than WP8?

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Android has Office Mobile, which is like Office on WP8 except BETTER. So how is WP8 a better platform for productivity when Android has better productivity tools than WP8?
It currently is not considering its been leapfrogged by Microsoft's releases on other platforms. That is completely understandable though. They make their money on software and being that the WP platform itself isn't ready to have office ripped out in favor of the same or better version coming with W10, they decided to keep or draw in new users of their platform from the user sees of their competitors.

Makes sense to me. WP 8.1 devices will soon be eclipsed by W10 devices that will be more desirable to those people using current top tier devices running iOS and Android. The current devices aren't doing it and they don't even have a new device for that class available this quarter. Focus on the users, get or keep them using your software and when its time for them to check out new devices, sell them on your software that they already use and the incredible ecosystem that was being built out while they were playing with their last devices.

Android and iOS are crippled mobile experiences compared to W10 promises to be. They haven't made great strides in merging home and mobile experiences and that is where Microsoft will pick up market share.

Every iPhone is practically the same each year so people will want something new. Same with Android devices. I'm rambling at this point but it's not better now but its coming and it's sufficient for a lot of us that are already on the platform. It hasn't gotten worse so no need to jump to another device or platform just yet. I'm waiting.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm definitely staying. There's lots of reasons to leave whether it's the lack of some apps (I have all I need) or the boring start screen (I don't care for the cluttered tiles). But in the end, WP devices generally have better cameras, are better communication devices and since BlackBerry is the only physical kb in town, nothing beats the WP keyboard and word prediction. I've been using an iPhone at work since the 3GS and luckily I don't pay for it. I've had my Gmail account and contacts hacked twice in the past 4 years and I simply won't go back to Android no matter how good some of those devices are. I refuse to have to send an explanatory email to those in my contact list that those offers for free Viagra didn't come from me. For now, it's a Q10 for daily use and my Surface 2 for any heavy lifting. I'm starting to tire of that tiny screen so a 1520 may be in my immediate future. It depends on who gets there first - Denim on the 1520 or the BB Passport on AT&T.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
That's my problem too. I can't see the improvement in Windows Store though there are new apps but still not enough to beat those that are in Play Store or App Store. I don't know, or maybe it's just me, that WP really needs more time to be matured. I love WP than other OS's but whenever I see other people using an Apple iPhone or Android flagship, it really feels different. It's like you're being left out. :/

Then don't. Go use iOS for a bit. Nothing says you can't come back when WP matures more. This is not your first thread asking what you should do. Pick for yourself. You're going to college soon. You're going to have to start figuring this kind of stuff out for yourself soon enough. ;-)

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Back in 2012, I had an upgrade due. I was actually eligible around August 2012 with my iPhone 4 on AT&T. I could have upgraded to the iPhone 5, which would have been the natural path, since I had been with the iPhone since the very first one (I had the original, the 3G, the 3GS, and then the 4), but I had been reading about this cool new phone coming out in November by Nokia; the Lumia 920!

Now being a long time computer guy, I had always been a big fan, user, and supporter of Microsoft and it's products since the days when MS-DOS was the operating system on my PC, and Windows 3.1 was this new thing on 3.5" discs that I had to make room for on my 540MB hard drive to install...

Fast forward to today, 25 years later, and MS and I have had a long relationship together. We've had some ups and downs, and a few bumps along the way, but Microsoft and Windows has always been there, and has always been a solid operating system. When Windows 8 came out, and I saw Windows Phone 8 on the Nokia Lumia 920, I knew what my next phone had to be! I read every article or news bit that was published about the 920 for a good three months up until it's release. The amazing Nokia hardware (the Pureview camera, the polycarbonate shell, and the curved glass), and the WP8 OS (the customizable Live Tiles, and the Social "hubs" that came with the original WP8) really drew me to the platform.

I made the switch from iPhone as my daily driver, to Windows Phone 8 in November of 2012 with the flagship Nokia Lumia 920. Since then, I've had two 1020s, and now a 1520. Couldn't be happier with the 1520 and the WP platform. There's been some changes as the OS matured, but for the most part, it has vastly improved. I'm looking forward to what Windows 10 brings to the table, and to what new flagship hardware is around the corner.

I'm here to stay, but with all that said, I can't deny that I'm still a big fan of Apple and it's products. I just got a new iPad Air 2 that I absolutely love, and if no flagship Microsoft hardware comes out soon, I wouldn't feel bad at all picking up another iPhone. You've got to admit, the iPhone is a solid performer, and Microsoft supports their apps on iOS very well. I don't feel like I'm abandoning my Windows ecosystem by using Apple products either. I've got all of MS' Office suite on my iPad, Onedrive, and the Remote Desktop client app is so good I actually feel like I'm using a Windows 8.1 tablet when I'm using it sometimes lol!

So for now, I'm sticking it out with my 1520, even though I've had some issues with it recently and have to get a warranty replacement. I'll wait until we here more about Windows 10 and what kind of new hardware we have to look forward to. And of course even if I do get another iPhone, I'll still buy the next Windows 10 flagship device as well.. What's wrong with having both? My "brand loyalty" only goes so far. I buy what I think will work for me, and what I think I'll enjoy. I've even been thinking about picking up an Android device to join the party!

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I take more of a zen approach to this issue. For today, I am perfectly happy with my WP. I have considered other options but right now my preference is to continue using WP with my 920 until it stops performing well or until the rollout of Windows 10, whichever occurs first. However, I don't really feel compelled to make a future commitment to WP or any other mobile OS. If I see a better option develop I'll react accordingly. I see a Geico commercial in there somewhere. "I'd like to make a lifelong commitment to my phone...but I can't. It's just a phone. It doesn't have a soul to which I can express my undying commitment..."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss