Nothing exciting, no new features, no flagship...?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
We took numerous side x side pictures with both cameras over the holidays and the iPhone's pictures were far superior in every situation.

The 928 is running 2012 hardware, if the iphone 6 camera didn't outperform it that would be the surprise.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
My wife recently went from the clunky Lumia 928 to a sleak new iPhone 6. What huge difference in hardware. We took numerous side x side pictures with both cameras over the holidays and the iPhone's pictures were far superior in every situation.

I love the WP OS much better than anything else on the market, but we definitely need some new hardware to remain competitive, and I'm not talking about a camera that can take poster sized pictures, or has 3 microphones for surround sound videos. (seriously?) I'm talking about something that's light in the hand, responsive, HD graphics with expandable storage.

I don't know what planet you are from but the HTC M8 and the 1520 Has all that.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
The 928 is running 2012 hardware, if the iphone 6 camera didn't outperform it that would be the surprise.
And the 928 would likely still outperform the iPhone in low light/no flash settings. Granted, a special situation, but one I loved using my with my 928.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
My 928 out performs my mom's iPhone 6 in low light especially when messing with the settings. The xenon flash does wonders for med/low light where people are moving. During the day, most smartphones take great pictures. The camera comparisons on Phonearena usually show that all the day shots are pretty good.
To downplay low light shots is basically limiting your usage to bright outdoor conditions which is only half the day and half the year. If you are in Finland or Alaska, your camera is useless during the winter where you don't really have daylight hours. Adding the xenon flash to the 928 seemed like a stupid novelty at the time but now I appreciate it knowing my 2012 hardware can still trump the latest and greatest under certain conditions. All the other conditions, my phone takes pictures Im still happy with.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
also was it because of the Lumia acquisition made it hard to push a "Flagship" phone everyone moans about?

No. It's really two issues:
1) Nokia/MS has hard data that flagship WP doesn't sell - so why put divert limited resources into the high end when they have a big shake up next year? Why NOT use the resources smartly and invest in the low end first, THEN release a high end next year when Win10 comes out?
2) The flagship which MS could realistically release this year had to be what Nokia had in the pipeline, yet Nokia obviously made quite a few lemon phones in the final years before the acquisition. Namely the crappy 530 follow up to the 520, the 830 which while nice was too pricey, and finally the McLaren/1030 which was focusing on a 3D gesture feature which developers found no use for AND it wasn't going to be the true 1020 successors people want anyway (as reported by Tom Warren it has a 20MP shooter, not a 41MP one, and the leaked prototype shows that it doesn't even have a mechanical shutter and Xeon flash, which are all features which made the 1020 great). MS was absolutely right to cancel that abomination which would no doubt flop really badly, and arguably if they did not only would they loss good faith but lots of money as well, compared to now which is they **** off some hardcore fans, the choice was easy.

Actually now come to think of it something was definitely off at Nokia in 2012/2013 when prototypes and strategy for the X30 Lumias were being developed. Compared to the X20 series it seems they've completely lost the plot as devices were compromised in strange ways. And yes this fault lies squarely with Nokia and not MS as this is way before the acquisition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)