Proof that Nokia/MM Customer "Care" lied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
As mentioned in this thread, http://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...03-tnx-customer-care-no-more-nokia-mm-wp.html Nokia/MM warranty repair got tired of me insisting that they fix the phone. Worst connectivity of any phone I've ownedd. Instead of trying again, they kept it almost two weeks and sent it back with a form letter that there was evidence of moisture or corrosion.

Now, I do live on the water in Florida, so I see pretty high humidity very often. Just like any other place in the tropics or semi-tropics. Phone has never been abused; in fact I've never dropped any phone I've ever owned, so there goes the toilet theory.

So I finally popped the back (it takes a 1" suction cup) and, of course, everything is fine including what I presume is the moisture monitor stick on. I've gone through the 925 service manual and it never identifies it, nor tell you to replace it. (It's part of a small metal stamping.)

Since they also stopped any warranty to get even, I'll proceed to wiggle/jiggle/disconnect/reconnect the three antennas. Many years ago that's all I needed to do to fix poor connectivity on a 9290.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
There is a moisture sensor strip in the battery compartment, under the battery. The battery also has one on it. If it is not solid white, then a water droplet at a minimum has come in contact with that strip. Moisture isn't enough to do it. High humidity won't do it. It has to come in contact with actual water. The service manual will not tell you what color it is supposed to be, and customer care generally is not supposed to tell you either.

The moisture strip should be pure white.

Where I live the humidity is over 90% 9 out of 10 days here, and many days at 100%. My moisture strips are still pure white. Moisture doesn't cause an issue here. Like I said, it has to come in physical contact with a liquid.

It doesn't have to be submersed. Being in your pocket when your pocket gets wet/splashed could cause an issue, and even sweating in hot weather to the point of your pocket getting wet can cause an issue as well. The phones are not water resistant, unfortunately, which is why they put the strips in them don't cover them under those circumstances. For water damage, they want you to buy insurance, which I don't recommend because it is a ripoff.

No, the service manual will not identify it or tell you to replace it. It is only installed by the Manufacturer and is an indication of whether or not the manufacturer warranty has been voided by water damage. Once voided, it stays voided, so no need to replace unless it is factory refurbished.

Oh, yes, and I know I've talked about it "water" damage, but most any liquid will cause a reaction to void the warranty. Spilled beer, Coke, Mountain Dew, etc. will do the trick nicely as well.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
@rhapdog: Trust me, I get all that. The phone was never immersed, spilled upon, dropped in a toilet, nothing. And the tattle tale gizmo confirms that. My issue and question is, "Where to from here?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea